Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

If you look at the chart it clearly shows the rise in cases in areas where Indian variant is known to be circulating amongst the younger more unvaccinated population.

Same rise not observed in older vaccinated population.

The chart is nothing to do with reducing variant levels in the UK

Sorry my regression analysis brain wasn't functioning. Great stuff. You two should be writing the rte.ie editor a quick email to update their nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

OwlsZat wrote: »
    Sorry my regression analysis brain wasn't functioning. Great stuff. You two should be writing the rte.ie editor a quick email to update their nonsense.

I wouldn't wish that on anyone, they'd be there for a while correcting all the mistakes in articles. Standard of research is just awful

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

I wouldn't wish that on anyone, they'd be there for a while correcting all the mistakes in articles. Standard of research is just awful

On the contrary, they know exactly what they are doing. Why do research when that would mean not being able to publish the click bait scare story they already have....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Ballynally wrote: »
    In England the numbers seem to have gone up from 200 last week to 900.
    Bolton, Glasgow, now in Northern Ireland and Ireland.
    VOC..
    Numbers, numbers, numbers. Are people getting sick/hospitalised/dying?

revelman wrote: »
    We don’t know that women under 50 are more at risk. All we know is that currently there are more women than men who have had this blood clot. We would need to know all sorts of things e.g. how many women vs how many men were given the vaccine in the first place? Could it be that more young healthcare workers (many of whom are women) received this vaccine in the US? This is what skewed the early numbers on AZ-associated clots in Germany and Norway.

There was an interesting article in the Atlantic a few weeks ago where doctors were doubting that this would be a “women only” issue.

With J&J, the data shows women under 50 at a higher risk.

When it was resumed in the US a few weeks ago the stats were released. There was pretty much a 50/50 split between men and women in terms of recipients of the vaccines. Yet all of the cases at that point were in women.

The latest reporting shows six cases in men, so it's not a woman only issue. The highest incidence rates are in women in their 30s and 40s though, and they're not far off the figures we're seeing for AZ in those groups.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/johnson-johnson-vaccine-linked-28-cases-blood-clots-cdc-reports-n1267128

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,013 ✭✭✭Christy42

Hardyn wrote: »
    That's a misquote that's been doing the rounds. The WHO never said that. As for the second part a study showed a 7-fold reduction in neutralization. That DOES NOT mean 7 times less effective. All samples from vaccinated individuals were able to neutralize the virus.

Indeed. Pretty disgraceful journalism from RTE on this one. They need to check their sources before publishing.

Mylady75 wrote: »
    I have been a long time lucker here on boards.
    My husband was registered in cohorts 4 but was never called so we registered him.by age and got his vaccine yesterday,
    which was astrazeneca and now have been told it will be 16 weeks before he gets his next one.
    I thought it was 12 do you think this might be lowered to 10 as it just seem so long till he is fully vaccinated we had been told that this was all he would get.
    Just so disappointed we have done everything right all along .
    I would not mind waiting a while but to be told 16 week it just seem forever

The guidance is that those who received AZ vaccine are to be considered fully vaccinated 4 weeks post 1st dose

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

OwlsZat wrote: »

Rte and others are not interested in finding more detail, if there is alarmist headline that can be made out of it they will do it. We've been talking about it in ad naseum here for months appreciate you might be new here.

Some of my numbers by be off but from recollection;

Antibodies dropping 7 fold doesnt mean a decrease of efficacy 7 fold. The mRNAs had a 6 fold drop in antibodies vs the SA variant but the efficacy was no way decreased in the same way think it drops 5-10% ish.

It doesnt go into T cells either, which is the other means of defence particularly against sever illness, its not easy to test.

AZ and JJ are a bit vaguer in its effectiveness but are indicators suggest they are far from useless and any commentator who suggests so in my eyes loses credibilty from the off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

We don’t know that women under 50 are more at risk. All we know is that currently there are more women than men who have had this blood clot. We would need to know all sorts of things e.g. how many women vs how many men were given the vaccine in the first place? Could it be that more young healthcare workers (many of whom are women) received this vaccine in the US? This is what skewed the early numbers on AZ-associated clots in Germany and Norway.

There was an interesting article in the Atlantic a few weeks ago where doctors were doubting that this would be a “women only” issue.

We do have a lot of data on J&J. Granted this is back from April, as I cannot find the updated charts to include the men who have had the same issue.
    JJ.jpg
    Doses are equally split between men and women, with the incidence in women 30-39 being the highest. As for young healthcare workers.... I'd have believe the vast majority of HCW's in the US were well vaccinated before J&J made it's first delivery!

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭penny piper

The guidance is that those who received AZ vaccine are to be considered fully vaccinated 4 weeks post 1st dose

I had an astra zenica vaccine last sunday and the doctor who vaccinated me told me it would be 16 weeks before I got the next one. My husband had got it the wednesday before and was told 12 weeks by a nurse. I told that to the doctor and he said they keep changing it.

• Advertisement

Christy42 wrote: »
    Indeed. Pretty disgraceful journalism from RTE on this one. They need to check their sources before publishing.

For anybody wondering where it began. Just shows how ridiculously easy it is to spread misinformation. WHO did correct the record but not before the horse was long gone.

https://twitter.com/ronlondoncon/status/1391895711982264326?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Flying Fox wrote: »
    With J&J, the data shows women under 50 at a higher risk.

When it was resumed in the US a few weeks ago the stats were released. There was pretty much a 50/50 split between men and women in terms of recipients of the vaccines. Yet all of the cases at that point were in women.

The latest reporting shows six cases in men, so it's not a woman only issue. The highest incidence rates are in women in their 30s and 40s though, and they're not far off the figures we're seeing for AZ in those groups.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/johnson-johnson-vaccine-linked-28-cases-blood-clots-cdc-reports-n1267128

I’m no scientist or statistician but the numbers we are talking about are so small (22 women and 6 men out of nearly 9 million), how can we be sure that women are more at risk?

I had an astra zenica vaccine last sunday and the doctor who vaccinated me told me it would be 16 weeks before I got the next one. My husband had got it the wednesday before and was told 12 weeks by a nurse. I told that to the doctor and he said they keep changing it.

either way you are considered fully vaccinated after 4 weeks and maintain that as long as you subsequently go back for the second dose when called

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Hardyn wrote: »
    For anybody wondering where it began. Just shows how ridiculously easy it is to spread misinformation. WHO did correct the record but not before the horse was long gone.

https://twitter.com/ronlondoncon/status/1391895711982264326?s=19

I'm all for free speech except for Eric Feigl Ding. He needs to be censured. Constantly spouting alarmist misleading harmful shyte!

I’m no scientist or statistician but the numbers we are talking about are so small (22 women and 6 men out of nearly 9 million), how can we be sure that women are more at risk?

It's not known yet if the vaccine puts women at more risk than men. The matter is complicated further by younger women normally being about three times more likely to experience CVST than men.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Don't think it'll be that quick to be honest. Maybe towards the end of next week.

There's still alot of 50s to & some 60s in certain centres do before thinking about 40s. Mother is 58 and registered on the day so hopefully should hear in the next day or two with an appointment.

I wouldn't expect 40s to be invited to register though before the next of next week

Well that was quicker than I thought.

Mum just got her text, appointment for tomorrow in Greystones, Pfizer is what's assigned to her.

58 & just under 2 weeks from registering to jab

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Turtwig wrote: »
    I'm all for free speech except for Eric Feigl Ding. He needs to be censured. Constantly spouting alarmist misleading harmful shyte!
    Just about to say the same thing! The man is a merchant of misery, constantly spouting worst case scenario hypotheticals. If ever a Twitter account needed regulating, people have got banned for less

If you look at the chart it clearly shows the rise in cases in areas where Indian variant is known to be circulating amongst the younger more unvaccinated population.

Same rise not observed in older vaccinated population.

The chart is nothing to do with reducing variant levels in the UK

The only reservation I have here is the pattern of cases being a significant majority in younger groups was seen at the beginning of previous waves. Social mobility then lead to infections in older age groups.

Turtwig wrote: »
    The only reservation I have here is the pattern of cases being a significant majority in younger groups was seen at the beginning of previous waves. Social mobility then lead to infections in older age groups.

You would be more worried if cases didnt skew young when the old are vaccinated

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Germans did 1.35 million vaccines yesterday. This would be equivalent to doing over 80,000 in one day here! Very impressive!

• Advertisement

Well that was quicker than I thought.

Mum just got her text, appointment for tomorrow in Greystones, Pfizer is what's assigned to her.

58 & just under 2 weeks from registering to jab

Well its actually 10 days,if it was may 5th she registered
    Texts for parc uí caoimh are coming just 5 days after registering

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭JPup

abff wrote: »
    That’s very disappointing news. My wife and I got our first AZ dose almost 4 weeks ago and had booked flights for early August in the expectation that we would be able to travel by then. If it’s pushed back to 16 weeks, we will have to cancel our trip.

I know that’s a relatively minor issue compared to general health concerns, but it was something to look forward to after enduring 14 months of almost continuous lockdown.

I wouldn't totally write off your trip just yet. The situation is evolving so quickly that your destination could be in a travel bubble with Ireland by then.

To be fair, you must have known when you were booking for August that you were taking a chance. I've been working on the assumption that the summer holidays will be in Ireland this year and so have most people I've spoken with.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭SJFly

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/us-cdc-identifies-28-clotting-cases-after-jj-vaccine-2021-05-12/

This article has some more data. Women in their 40s, 9.4 per million, women in their 30s, 12.4 per million. The risk to men is much lower. Men overall have a risk of around 1.4 per million. I think the data suggests pretty clearly that women are at greater risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Germans did 1.35 million vaccines yesterday. This would be equivalent to doing over 80,000 in one day here! Very impressive!

Germany on course to get to 50 vaccines per 100 by the middle of next week. Unbelievable rollout.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Micky 32 wrote: »

They had the balls then to say that they only put out the truth.

Absolute cúnts.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0916/1165543-rte-truth-matters-campaign/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,856 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

plodder wrote: »
    The vaccine passport thing should be based on having received one dose of any vaccine. The fact that they have pushed the second dose out so far is based on an expectation of a high level of protection from the first dose. I expect there will be some clamour for this very soon ... and it would remove some of the vaccine cherry picking that is going on.

That travel advice could easily change. I can't imagine they'll have a situation where AZ recipients are being actively discriminated against this year, whilst all other vaccine recipients are allowed leave the country within a month of being vaccinated.

Also, I believe one dose of AZ is considered almost identical in protection to one of J & J, so again it wouldn't make any sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

snotboogie wrote: »
    Germany on course to get to 50 vaccines per 100 by the middle of next week. Unbelievable rollout.

If you highlight that you get accused of not pulling on the green jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

snotboogie wrote: »

Do they have a greater supply than we have?

• Advertisement

You would be more worried if cases didnt skew young when the old are vaccinated

Indeed I would.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement