Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

afatbollix wrote: »
    No idea if this has been posted as can't be arsed looking at the same thing over and over saying that vaccines are ****e since this new thread started.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/apr/13/how-uk-doctor-marie-scully-blood-clotting-link-astrazeneca-covid-jab-university-college-london-hospital

They have found a way of finding out what the problem is with the cloting. They have a test to detect it already and have a way of treating it if detected early.

Basically, old-school treatments that were the norm were what was killing these people. The treatments caused more problems than solved. They even have a worldwide what's app group to talk about it and treatments.

Science at work, This took weeks to sort instead of years.

I wonder if it's filled with pictures of black lads with huge wangs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Le Bruise wrote: »
    Dare we dream that herd immunity is met at 60% rather than 75/80%??

Given the mix of vacines here I wouldnt bank on 60%, the signs were appearing before this percentage but you must remember that israel hasnt abandoned totally all other mitigations for transmission yet. Herd immunity is really when you can allow a full stadiums, full coppers or a big filthy music festival to happen without anything to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

is_that_so wrote: »
    Interesting comment in there on J&J pause by the FDA - a matter of days!

Yeah they said it during the briefing yesterday when asked how long they expected it for

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Good news - Pfizer/Biontech to beat EU Q2 delivery target! No specifics on much they might beat the target by, but good to hear something positive.

https://www.bloombergquint.com/business/pfizer-biontech-on-track-to-beat-second-quarter-eu-vaccine-goal
    I presume RTE will be leading with this story today then? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,829 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

If they can reduce cases to 50 a day and a death or two, then that's near enough to herd immunity.

Living with the consequences of it, will come before 80% vaccination.

It'll be treated like a bad flu, which kills steadily each year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,829 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Danish media reporting Denmark to stop using AstraZeneca vaccine entirely

We should buy the vaccines that they will not use.

Danish media reporting Denmark to stop using AstraZeneca vaccine entirely

I'm sure they'll have no shortage of other EU countries looking to take them off their hands

• Registered Users Posts: 16,714 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

rm212 wrote: »
    This kind of stuff constantly coming out makes the public confidence in the vaccines (particularly AZ and J&J) drop, second by second almost at this stage. It is 100% clear now that Pfizer and Moderna are considered by health professionals (EMA, FDA etc) to be the best, most effective and most safe vaccines by far. The EU should really have made larger optional orders with all vaccine manufacturers, so that we could just pick up the best couple and decline the rest when the results came out. Hindsight is 20/20, I suppose :(

That's what we did, we have enough vaccines ordered to vaccinate everyone multiple times, it's not like we could have ordered 900M doses of Pfizer and be done, they don't have that many manufactured, so the rollout needs a variety of all approved vaccines.

The announcement around future contracts is for boosters after the initial rollout (if they're even needed), and it's a signal that Europe is going to fund mRNA vaccines going forward, so we'll see lots of capacity come online for mRNA vaccines to handle that (I wonder will we see an mRNA flu jab soon-ish).

J&J and AZ are still an integral part of the initial rollout (as are Valneva, Curevac and maybe Novavax).

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

Danzy wrote: »
    We should buy the vaccines that they will not use.

I'd say we're much more likely to follow suit in cancelling usage than buy unused doses.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,714 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

We're expecting 2,128,000 Pfizer doses this quarter and now they are suggesting exceeding this 'significantly'. Even 10-20% extra (like they are exceeding in the US) would be incredible.

Don't forget that they were already exceeding supply this quarter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭SJFly

On the plus side, after Denmark's move, no-one can say we are the most conservative anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

BigMo1 wrote: »
    I'd say we're much more likely to follow suit in cancelling usage than buy unused doses.
    More likely to do nothing until someone provides clarity on the clotting issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

astrofool wrote: »
    That's what we did, we have enough vaccines ordered to vaccinate everyone multiple times, it's not like we could have ordered 900M doses of Pfizer and be done, they don't have that many manufactured, so the rollout needs a variety of all approved vaccines.

The announcement around future contracts is for boosters after the initial rollout (if they're even needed), and it's a signal that Europe is going to fund mRNA vaccines going forward, so we'll see lots of capacity come online for mRNA vaccines to handle that (I wonder will we see an mRNA flu jab soon-ish).

J&J and AZ are still an integral part of the initial rollout (as are Valneva, Curevac and maybe Novavax).

My point was just, had the EU ordered say, twice as many Pfizer vaccines (with some of the tail end on an optional contract) on the same schedule, and immediately invested in production capacity for those vaccines, we could have had twice as many coming in (maybe not at the very start, but after a couple of months of deliveries) with each vaccine delivery as we currently do, which could have replaced the AZ/J&J deliveries for the most part - alongside larger Moderna orders.

I know the other vaccines are an integral part of the rollout due to how our supply situation is, yeah. I also know that is was very tough to know exactly what to do last year when these deals were made - as I said, hindsight is 20/20 and all that. Hopefully Novavax actually delivers as their tech also looks very promising.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

We're expecting 2,128,000 Pfizer doses this quarter and now they are suggesting exceeding this 'significantly'. Even 10-20% extra (like they are exceeding in the US) would be incredible.

Does it not say in the article Q2 increasing from 200 to 250mil, 25% increase?
    It's labeled as accelerated delivery.

The message is out there that AZ is unsafe and that you will have to wait 16 weeks for dose 2. This has done serious damage to the programme. I have heard of 2 60 somethings in the past day who have both said they will pass on the AZ because they felt nervous about it and would hope in a few weeks to get the Pfizer instead which would leave them fully vaccinated earlier.

I would take in in the morning and strongly encourage family members to do the same, but if we start getting significant no shows its a dead duck

My point was just, had the EU ordered say, twice as many Pfizer vaccines (with some of the tail end on an optional contract) on the same schedule, and immediately invested in production capacity for those vaccines, we could have had twice as many coming in (maybe not at the start, but in later deliveries) with each vaccine delivery as we currently do, which could have replaced the AZ/J&J deliveries for the most part - alongside larger Moderna orders.

I know the other vaccines are an integral part of the rollout due to how our supply situation is, yeah. Hopefully Novavax actually delivers as their tech also looks very promising.

Except the EU has constantly been getting enchanted Pfizer contracts over the last few months, boosting Q2 & Q3 devlieries. In terms of production capacity in early Janaury began assisting BioNTech with the new production facilties.

What you've suggested has already been done so I'm not sure what the point being made is.

When negotiating the inital contracts nobody knew what would or wouldn't work, spread the risk among them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Wolf359f wrote: »
    Holy crap they just updated the article. 5 million extra doses.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The message is out there that AZ is unsafe and that you will have to wait 16 weeks for dose 2. This has done serious damage to the programme. I have heard of 2 60 somethings in the past day who have both said they will pass on the AZ because they felt nervous about it and would hope in a few weeks to get the Pfizer instead which would leave them fully vaccinated earlier.

I would take in in the morning and strongly encourage family members to do the same, but if we start getting significant no shows its a dead duck

Also know someone in their late sixties who is going to refuse AZ. Nothing will change her mind. Her buddy is the same.

• Advertisement

Wolf359f wrote: »

Think the article has been updated, didn't reference numbers earlier

Extra 50 million is excellent

Pfizer Inc. and BioNTech SE will raise Covid-19 vaccine deliveries to the European Union by 50 million this quarter, offering good news to the bloc after Johnson & Johnson’s shot was paused. The U.S. drugmaker will bring forward deliveries scheduled for the fourth quarter, European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen said Wednesday. The additional supplies will add to the 200 million dose

Read more at: https://www.bloombergquint.com/business/pfizer-biontech-on-track-to-beat-second-quarter-eu-vaccine-goal

Except the EU has constantly been getting enchanted Pfizer contracts over the last few months, boosting Q2 & Q3 devlieries. In terms of production capacity in early Janaury began assisting BioNTech with the new production facilties.

What you've suggested has already been done so I'm not sure what the point being made is.

When negotiating the inital contracts nobody knew what would or wouldn't work, spread the risk among them all.

More could have been done re: boosting deliveries if that assistance with production capacity started last summer rather than January, for example. I do take the point though, that initially they weren't certain what would work - as I acknowledged in the original post, hindsight is 20/20.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

My point was just, had the EU ordered say, twice as many Pfizer vaccines (with some of the tail end on an optional contract) on the same schedule, and immediately invested in production capacity for those vaccines, we could have had twice as many coming in (maybe not at the very start, but after a couple of months of deliveries) with each vaccine delivery as we currently do, which could have replaced the AZ/J&J deliveries for the most part - alongside larger Moderna orders.

I know the other vaccines are an integral part of the rollout due to how our supply situation is, yeah. I also know that is was very tough to know exactly what to do last year when these deals were made - as I said, hindsight is 20/20 and all that. Hopefully Novavax actually delivers as their tech also looks very promising.

As you say, hindsight is 20/20. When the deals were made it was impossible to know which vaccine would be most effective and easiest from a logistics point of view. We have to remember that Pfizer and Moderna were brand new tech that not everyone was 100% behind. We also have the cold-chain issue with Pfizer which makes it more difficult to manage/deliver, and when it was first brought up the feeling would have been "all the vaccines we are considering have similar efficacy but this one is going to cause a lot of extra work, therefore we won't put all our eggs in that one basket".

Every decision has been made based on the information available at that point in time. It's such a new and unique situation that I can't understand why people are so surprised/shocked/angry when changes happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Good news - Pfizer/Biontech to beat EU Q2 delivery target! No specifics on much they might beat the target by, but good to hear something positive.

https://www.bloombergquint.com/business/pfizer-biontech-on-track-to-beat-second-quarter-eu-vaccine-goal

We get 1.1% of Eu vaccines right so the extra is 50m so we should get 550,000 extra hopefully. Good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    We get 1.1% of Eu vaccines right so the extra is 50m so we should get 550,000 extra hopefully. Good news.

Certainly takes the sting out of tail of the AZ news!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭sd1999

But it'll be months before they get Pfizer. Every official has been quite emphatic that you should take what you're offered and that no one is going to be able to choose.

nibtrix wrote: »
    As you say, hindsight is 20/20. When the deals were made it was impossible to know which vaccine would be most effective and easiest from a logistics point of view. We have to remember that Pfizer and Moderna were brand new tech that not everyone was 100% behind. We also have the cold-chain issue with Pfizer which makes it more difficult to manage/deliver, and when it was first brought up the feeling would have been "all the vaccines we are considering have similar efficacy but this one is going to cause a lot of extra work, therefore we won't put all our eggs in that one basket".

Every decision has been made based on the information available at that point in time. It's such a new and unique situation that I can't understand why people are so surprised/shocked/angry when changes happen.

Absolutely, fully agreed on all of that. It's all hindsight.

Its daft given their risk bracket and the there is unsure and rough waters with infection levels in the few months ahead.

• Advertisement

That Pfizer news is absolutely huge. That's 250k more fully vaccinated people.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement