Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Do they have a greater supply than we have?
    no, its almost excactly the same per proportion of the population

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

SJFly wrote: »
    https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/us-cdc-identifies-28-clotting-cases-after-jj-vaccine-2021-05-12/

This article has some more data. Women in their 40s, 9.4 per million, women in their 30s, 12.4 per million. The risk to men is much lower. Men overall have a risk of around 1.4 per million. I think the data suggests pretty clearly that women are at greater risk.

I think I did not make my point very well. I mean that the numbers of people with clots are so low out of 9 million (28 in total - 22 women and 6 men) that surely it is impossible to ascertain a statistically significant pattern at this stage. Who’s to say that in the next 9 million doses given that it wouldn’t skew the other way and you get more men than women? Surely, you need a critical mass of cases before you can make any conclusions? And this is before you bring in other factors e.g. that women are more likely to visit their doctors and report side effects than men are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Just got my vaccine appointment, group 7 for Monday week. Delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Delighted for you . Is it in GPs ?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

Interesting read

Mac n Cheese always helpful twitter info
    https://twitter.com/sailorrooscout/status/1393165901764210691

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Nice one ACE! Whereabouts?

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Delighted for you . Is it in GPs ?

Yep

funnydoggy wrote: »

Cork City in my GPs surgery

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Cork City in my GPs surgery

Ah yeah of course.

Delighted for you buddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Excellent delighted for ya. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

Strazdas wrote: »
    That travel advice could easily change. I can't imagine they'll have a situation where AZ recipients are being actively discriminated against this year, whilst all other vaccine recipients are allowed leave the country within a month of being vaccinated.

Also, I believe one dose of AZ is considered almost identical in protection to one of J & J, so again it wouldn't make any sense.

The issue is AZ starts to rapidly lose its efficacy starting at 16 weeks. Remember AZ was developed as a one shot solution, but that wouldn’t pass clinical trials thresholds. So you will need the second dose and/or get another vaccine and complete it. The way it will be viewed is that if you don’t need the second dose, then it wouldn’t be offered. We may see some rules around the 16 week mark, but this complicates things. It’s easier to say take the full course and wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

You love to see it. Through your GP?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

funnydoggy wrote: »

Usually in the arm ;)

You love to see it. Through your GP?

Yup

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Taking the 48k figure for Ireland mentioned by the HSE last night for the 12th as it hasn't officially been announced yet.

Country per capita Date Reported Ireland Days Behind
    Malta 91 May 12th
    Lithuania 46.5 May 13th 9
    Germany 46 May 13th 9
    Cyprus 45.5 May 12th 9
    Spain 45 May 12th 7
    Denmark 44 May 12th 6
    Italy 43 May 13th 4
    Austria 43 May 13th 4
    Belgium 43 May 13th 3
    Estonia 43 May 13th 4
    Portugal 42 May 13th 3
    Luxembourg 41 May 11th 3
    Finland 41 May 13th 1
    France 41 May 12th 2
    Netherlands 40 May 13th 0
    Poland 40 May 13th 0
    Ireland 39.5 May 12th 0
    Sweden 39 May 12th -1
    Greece 39 May 13th -2
    Slovenia 38 May 13th -3
    Czech Rep 37.5 May 13th -4
    Slovakia 35 May 12th -6
    Romania 33 May 12th -9
    Croatia 31 May 12th -12
    Latvia 24.5 May 13th -22
    Bulgaria 15.5 May 13th -35

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Unfortunately I suspect we may be somewhat starved of data for the next day or two, maybe even a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

seamus wrote: »
    Unfortunately I suspect we may be somewhat starved of data for the next day or two, maybe even a week.

Big time - if it carries on I’d say all test centres may move to walk in.

Paying up might be an option!

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

Anyone have any theories on whether they will vaccinate children and/or teens? I see Pfizer is approved for over 12s in US (I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,851 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

ddarcy wrote: »
    The issue is AZ starts to rapidly lose its efficacy starting at 16 weeks. Remember AZ was developed as a one shot solution, but that wouldn’t pass clinical trials thresholds. So you will need the second dose and/or get another vaccine and complete it. The way it will be viewed is that if you don’t need the second dose, then it wouldn’t be offered. We may see some rules around the 16 week mark, but this complicates things. It’s easier to say take the full course and wait.

Indeed, but my point is I don't see any particular reason AZ recipients would not be allowed leave the country this summer under the EU green pass scheme if they are comfortably inside that 12-16 week window. It would only become an issue from autumn onwards if people weren't getting their second dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Indeed, but my point is I don't see any particular reason AZ recipients would not be allowed leave the country this summer under the EU green pass scheme if they are comfortably inside that 12-16 week window. It would only become an issue from autumn onwards if people weren't getting their second dose.
    The green pass scheme also allows travel on a negative test so unless Ireland is again going on a solo run, having a jab, or second dose, is irrelevant so long as you can access a test.

(it makes a difference financially obviously, but a €100 test is not quite the same limit on your freedoms as a €2000 fine to go to the airport)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

Not disagreeing, but you are looking at bureaucratical nightmare. It’s easier to say you have it done then to say you have it done for x time. Eg you complete the course, I add it to a database and that is that, instead of you having the first jab, get on the cleared database and then have to go in and update/ remove you from it pending if you come back. I mean look at the HSE today, it’s clear they aren’t even doing the basics correctly, they should be fully back up by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

ddarcy wrote: »
    The issue is AZ starts to rapidly lose its efficacy starting at 16 weeks.
    Where did you get this information?

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭ureds

Registered just over a week ago and got an appointment in Breaffy,Castlebar on Monday for Moderna vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Evil_g

snotboogie wrote: »
    Taking the 48k figure for Ireland mentioned by the HSE last night for the 12th as it hasn't officially been announced yet.

Malta 91 May 12th
    Germany 46 May 13th 9
    Cyprus 45.5 May 12th 9
    Spain 45 May 12th 7
    Denmark 44 May 12th 6
    Italy 43 May 13th 4
    Austria 43 May 13th 4
    Belgium 43 May 13th 3
    Estonia 43 May 13th 4
    Portugal 42 May 13th 3
    Luxembourg 41 May 11th 3
    Finland 41 May 13th 1
    France 41 May 12th 2
    Poland 40 May 13th 0
    Ireland 39.5 May 12th -1
    Sweden 39 May 12th -1
    Greece 39 May 13th -2
    Slovenia 38 May 13th -3
    Slovakia 35 May 12th -6
    Romania 33 May 12th -9
    Croatia 31 May 12th -12
    Latvia 24.5 May 13th -22

I have no idea how you get these figures. You must be using a lower vaccination rate than our .78. We're seven days behind Germany. Five behind Denmark. We're level with Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Cyclepath

I'm 55 y/o and registered on the 4th May. Today I got my appointment via text. Getting the Pfizer jab in the Aviva tomorrow 15th May. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Malta 91 May 12th
    Germany 46 May 13th 9
    Cyprus 45.5 May 12th 9
    Spain 45 May 12th 7
    Denmark 44 May 12th 6
    Italy 43 May 13th 4
    Austria 43 May 13th 4
    Belgium 43 May 13th 3
    Estonia 43 May 13th 4
    Portugal 42 May 13th 3
    Luxembourg 41 May 11th 3
    Finland 41 May 13th 1
    France 41 May 12th 2
    Poland 40 May 13th 0
    Ireland 39.5 May 12th 0
    Sweden 39 May 12th -1
    Greece 39 May 13th -2
    Slovenia 38 May 13th -3
    Slovakia 35 May 12th -6
    Romania 33 May 12th -9
    Croatia 31 May 12th -12
    Latvia 24.5 May 13th -22

Feels like we’re slipping yet further again. Have they HSE given a reason why we are continually falling behind ?

Evil_g wrote: »
    I have no idea how you get these figures. You must be using a lower vaccination rate than our .78. We're seven days behind Germany. Five behind Denmark. We're level with Ireland.

I'm taking 0.7 which matches the HSE projections of 250k vaccine sper week. Even if you take 0.78 Germany would be 7.8 days ahead of us. So rounded up to 8. Germany are also vaccinating at a rate of 0.9. I answered this yesterday, it's an illustration to give people an idea of the difference. It's not exact beacuase I cannot accurately predict how many vaccines Ireland or the other countries will complete in the future. I only included it because people were misreprenting the numbers and saying Ireland were merely "hours behind" Germany. Which of course has turned out to be BS

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Evil_g

I'm taking 0.7 which matches the HSE projections of 250k vaccine sper week. Even if you take 0.78 Germany would be 7.8 days ahead of us. So rounded up to 8. Germany are also vaccinating at a rate of 0.9. I answered this yesterday, it's an illustration to give people an idea of the difference. It's not exact beacuase I cannot accurately predict how many vaccines Ireland or the other countries will complete in the future. I only included it because people were misreprenting the numbers and saying Ireland were merely "hours behind" Germany. Which of course has turned out to be BS

The precise vaccination rate is very easy to calculate and is available here

You don't need to predict future vaccines to calculate how far behind we are at any point in time.

If Germany are reporting a day ahead of us that day should be deducted from the 7.8 days.

Maybe all these people saying we're only hours behind Germany bother you (can't say I've seen that myself), but you're the one misrepresenting figures at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

• Advertisement

Valhallapt wrote: »
    Feels like we’re slipping yet further again. Have they HSE given a reason why we are continually falling behind ?

Nobody is asking. They trumpeted that we were the best in Europe back in March when supplies were low for everyone and it has just been accepted that it's still true. Haven't heard one media outlet bring up that we have the slowest rollout in Western Europe. Sweden and The Netherlands are patchy in their rollout but we have all the advantages, small population, small geography and the youngest population in Europe. Its inexcusable that we are languishing around 20th place well over a week behind the top performers in Europe.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement