Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭plodder

Sky King wrote: »
    The issue is AZ starts to rapidly lose its efficacy starting at 16 weeks.
    Where did you get this information?

Wondering that too. What I found is this:

https://www2.hse.ie/screening-and-vaccinations/covid-19-vaccine/astrazeneca/immunity/

"Research so far shows that protection after the 1st dose lasts for at least 16 weeks."

which makes the statement above look very misleading.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭eoinbn

Valhallapt wrote: »
    Feels like we’re slipping yet further again. Have they HSE given a reason why we are continually falling behind ?

Do we have enough low dead-volume needles to extract the 6th dose from the Pfizer vials?
    Before the latest delivery of 182k we had were suppose to have received 1521k but only had admin ~1250k. Those numbers align with only extracting 6 doses from a small number of vials.
    Do we have confirmation that we have 250k Pfizer in storage or is it just based on delivered Vs admin?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Cohort 7 here (30).

Still waiting to hear back from GP about any update in regards to my vaccine. Online portal would have been ideal.

Update kinda.

I ended getting through to my GP receptionist. I am registered in cohort 7 and should have an appointment in the next week or two. She didn't really instill confidence. Felt like I was been fobbed off tbh!

Rang the consultant receptionist. They are only vaccinating patients on a specific medication which I don't take.

Time to play the waiting game!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

NPHET have received the NIAC advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭zebastein

Valhallapt wrote: »
    Feels like we’re slipping yet further again. Have they HSE given a reason why we are continually falling behind ?

There is a lot of rounding in here.
    France 41 vs. Ireland 39.5 in your table.

Our world in data gives France 40.64 on the 12th May
    Ireland was at 38.94, if you add 48k doses, you are at 39.92 per capita for Ireland on the 12th May.
    So 0.72 difference between France and Ireland compared to 1.5 in your table. Less than a day versus 2 days in your table.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Evil_g

snotboogie wrote: »
    Nobody is asking. They trumpeted that we were the best in Europe back in March when supplies were low for everyone and it has just been accepted that it's still true. Haven't heard one media outlet bring up that we have the slowest rollout in Western Europe. Sweden and The Netherlands are patchy in their rollout but we have all the advantages, small population, small geography and the youngest population in Europe. Its inexcusable that we are languishing around 20th place well over a week behind the top performers in Europe.

553032.png

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

Sky King wrote: »
    Where did you get this information?

Their phase I/II clinical trials showed this. Originally it was developed as a one shot solution. Although they are small in number, so we could see, as they didn’t test it more thoroughly, one dose may be good enough. The early phase trial data indicated the two doses regime was the way to go though.

Also common sense as after one dose it is 72 % effective, 2 doses is 76% effective. If it maintained Its efficacy there is no point with the second dose and goes against all medical practices (eg do no harm, don’t do something that not needed).

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

ddarcy wrote: »
    They’re phase I/II clinical trials showed this. Although the are small in number, so we could see, as they didn’t test it more thoroughly once dose may be good enough. The early phase trial data indicated the two doses regime was the way to go through.

Also common sense as after one dose it is 72 % effective, 2 doses is 76% effective. If it maintained I’d efficacy there is no point with the second dose and goes against all medical practices (eg do no harm, don’t do something that not needed).

Real world data is showing nearly 90% efficacy after just one dose. There is a massive study in South Korea with millions of people showing this. I wouldn’t place too much emphasis on trial data.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

When will the general public be enlightened ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Russman

Feels like that should be followed by a drum roll :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

SusanC10 wrote: »
    When will the general public be enlightened ?

It's all very x-factor. "We've received the advice from NIAC. And that advice is............ we'll let you know after the break"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭josip

t but we have all the advantages, small population, small geography and the youngest population in Europe.
    • How are small population and youngest population in Europe an advantage for a vaccine rollout?
    • How is small geography an advantage when you have small population?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭snotboogie

zebastein wrote: »
    There is a lot of rounding in here.
    France 41 vs. Ireland 39.5 in your table.

Our world in data gives France 40.64 on the 12th May
    Ireland was at 38.94, if you add 48k doses, you are at 39.92 per capita for Ireland on the 12th May.
    So 0.72 difference between France and Ireland compared to 1.5 in your table. Less than a day versus 2 days in your table.

Ireland was at 1.923 million doses on the 11th or 38.63.

https://twitter.com/COVID19DataIE/status/1392802309005058048?s=19

+48k is 1.971 million or 39.6. Its correct to round Ireland down to 39.5.

Calling it a front loaded table is misleading.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

NIAC have to write to NPHET, then NPHET have to write to the minister for Health, Then the minister brings it to cabinet/govt. God forbid that they do this in emails, as it is 2021 and we are living in a pandemic.

What could they possibly have been doing for 2 weeks to give this so called advice?

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

josip wrote: »
    • How are small population and youngest population in Europe an advantage for a vaccine rollout?
    • How is small geography an advantage when you have small population?

Because you have less people to vaccinate :/

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

revelman wrote: »
    Real world data is showing nearly 90% efficacy after just one dose. There is a massive study in South Korea with millions of people showing this. I wouldn’t place too much emphasis on trial data.

Don’t get me wrong, it looks like all approved vaccines in Europe could be a one dose solution. But the early clinical trials said otherwise. We’ll see over time if this plays out or not.

In terms of opening things up, this would be far faster. Plus the rollout to third world countries would be faster as well in hopes of stopping variants etc. It would be great if we could say currently 2 million were fully vaccinated right now and by the end of next month everyone would have that possibility (could even be sooner if they went down the one shot route).

Evil_g wrote: »
    553032.png

That's a 7 day average for the last week. Ireland in 18th place for total vaccinated per capita.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

NIAC have to write to NPHET, then NPHET have to write to the minister for Health, Then the minister brings it to cabinet/govt. God forbid that they do this in emails, as it is 2021 and we are living in a pandemic.

What could they possibly have been doing for 2 weeks to give this so called advice?

I'm sure it'll be leaked soon

Because you have less people to vaccinate :/

And you have fewer people with which to do it.

pc7 wrote: »

It wasn't leaked from NPHET (CMO (Tony)) the last time.

It will only get leaked when it gets to Govt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

pc7 wrote: »
    By someone doing God's work...
    They'll also have to send it to Paul Reid via WhatsApp as the HSE email servers are down.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Emails are down due to the hack, FWIW. :D

josip wrote: »
    And you have fewer people with which to do it.

It's hardly a one to one. Economies of scale work in reverse. It's easier for Malta to vaccinate their population than it is for China to vaccinate theirs. Similarly it should be easier for Ireland to vaccinate 5 million people than for Germany to vaccinate 85 million.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Do we know how many days in advance MVC give out appointments? Are they all booked say for the next 3 days, do we have a bit of float in the system with things down?

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Evil_g

That's a 7 day average for the last week. Ireland in 18th place for total vaccinated per capita.

I was just trying to help you answer why you haven't heard one media outlet bring up that we have the slowest rollout in Western Europe.

It's because they would look like idiots.

ddarcy wrote: »
    In terms of opening things up, this would be far faster. Plus the rollout to third world countries would be faster as well in hopes of stopping variants etc. It would be great if we could say currently 2 million were fully vaccinated right now and by the end of next month everyone would have that possibility (could even be sooner if they went down the one shot route).
    I don't know where they are at EU level with this passport business, but it couldn't be that difficult to have two statuses recognised "partially vaccinated" and "fully vaccinated". If problems do arise down the line, then they could start insisting on fully vaccinated status for travel. I imagine they also have to take into account the possible need for boosters as well. So, I can't see the digital cert just being a simple binary Yes/no status.

Emails are down due to the hack, FWIW. :D
    There's a meme going around that says the HSE has decided to negotiate with the hackers, but will have to wait two years for an appointment ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

It's hardly a one to one. Economies of scale work in reverse. It's easier for Malta to vaccinate their population than it is for China to vaccinate theirs. Similarly it should be easier for Ireland to vaccinate 5 million people than for Germany to vaccinate 85 million.

Arbitrary country borders, and the relatives sizes of various countries shouldn't make difference at all to how quickly (per capita) a country can role out vaccines.

There is no reason to think it should be easier or harder for a smaller country to roll out the vaccines more quickly than a big country (with the same supply, per capita). Malta rolled them out quickly because it had lots of supply, not because it is small.

Anyway, it is disappointing to see us so far behind Germany. We should be aiming to be top of the tables, not mid table or below. But I think we will catch up significantly over the next week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Update kinda.

I ended getting through to my GP receptionist. I am registered in cohort 7 and should have an appointment in the next week or two. She didn't really instill confidence. Felt like I was been fobbed off tbh!

Rang the consultant receptionist. They are only vaccinating patients on a specific medication which I don't take.

Time to play the waiting game!

Cohort 7 here, GP is not opting in to the vaccination for any group other than 70+
    I just got a txt today (from swiftqueue) saying my consultant in TUH has referred me for a Pfizer vaccine in citywest, date and time to follow in a separate txt.

Maybe this is the new referral system for cohort 7 kicking off?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

Question for people;

how would you feel if a work colleague announced they were antivax and were not intending to get vaccinated before returning to work?
    could work demand that an employee gets vaccinated?
    could other workers refuse to come in if that person is working?

Hypothetically speaking, of course.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement