Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

The lowest of the low

Cyber attacks are a daily thing, there'll have been a vulnerability somewhere, be it on a piece of software, someone's PC or wherever it might have been.

Most get blocled but this one managed to get through. Could have been as simple as someone clicking on a link

Luckily the HSE have backups

A zero day attack too, jesus

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Spiderman0081

snotboogie wrote: »
    Ya, which further highlights the ineptitude of the HSE, as people are clamouring for the vaccine here yet we still have one of the slowest rollots per capita.
    True

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Can anyone explain how some doctors are vaccinating people that don’t belong to any high risk groups? One local practice is currently vaccinating those born in 1978 and I know quite a few that have been given the Pfizer vaccine none of whom have any risk factors ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

The lowest of the low

Cyber attacks are a daily thing, there'll have been a vulnerability somewhere, be it on a piece of software, someone's PC or wherever it might have been.

Most get blocled but this one managed to get through. Could have been as simple as someone clicking on a link

Luckily the HSE have backups

Do the backups mean it can fully restore bit by bit after making sure the vulnerability is addressed? Or is it a risk that this could be worse?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

I just want to get my vaccine so I can unsubscribe from this thread and the main covid thread for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

solerina wrote: »
    Can anyone explain how some doctors are vaccinating people that don’t belong to any high risk groups? One local practice is currently vaccinating those born in 1978 and I know quite a few that have been given the Pfizer vaccine none of whom have any risk factors ??

Yes it's bizarre, know a couple who are nowhere near the current cohort and perfectly healthy but got a wink wink from their GP to get a vaccine. Seems like there is a bit of brown enveloping going on :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

amdaley28 wrote: »
    Hopefully ?

They have backups of all the major systems

degsie wrote: »
    Yes it's bizarre, know a couple who are nowhere near the current cohort and perfectly healthy but got a wink wink from their GP to get a vaccine. Seems like there is a bit of brown enveloping going on :rolleyes:

Was always going to happen, not defending it but a 43 year old getting it now ahead of someone in their 50’s ain’t as bad as the Coombe/Beacon teachers getting it ahead of people in their 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

My daughter just got a date for vaccine !! Cohort 7 via her consultant ! I am so thrilled .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    My daughter just got a date for vaccine !! Cohort 7 via her consultant ! I am so thrilled .

Very glad for your daughter (and you). Great news !

• Advertisement

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Do the backups mean it can fully restore bit by bit after making sure the vulnerability is addressed? Or is it a risk that this could be worse?

If they need to restore they can go to backups. I'd assume they've everything on a daily backup, which essentially a snapshot of systems at a certain time with the backup copy ideally being held on prem, in the cloud and on physical backup tape.

So they can bring all systems back to a certain point in time. Now where the issue can be is depending how long the exploitation was on the system, the backups could also be impacted. Its a case of how far back to go to get a clean recovery, you essentially could bring the systems back to how they were 48hrs ago for example.

Ideally you would bring everything back up piece by piece on a segregated network, check the systems, clear them for use and bring them back into the production environment, might not need to go to backup in that case.

It's just going to take time.

First port of call is to always power down everything to stop the attack and gauge how far it's gone

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

There might be an element of brown nosing but how many people will openly let their neighbours know if they have an underlying health condition. I'd say they be more inclined to lie and say they've nothing or had mild asthma than release very sensitive info.

Much easier to pretend you've a special relation with the GP than let everyone know you've heart failure.

If they need to restore they can go to backups. I'd assume they've everything on a daily backup, which essentially a snapshot of systems at a certain time with the backup copy ideally being held on prem, in the cloud and on physical backup tape.

So they can bring all systems back to a certain point in time. Now where the issue can be is depending how long the exploitation was on the system, the backups could also be impacted. Its a case of how far back to go to get a clean recovery, you essentially could bring the systems back to how they were 48hrs ago for example.

Ideally you would bring everything back up piece by piece on a segregated network, check the systems, clear them for use and bring them back into the production environment, might not need to go to backup in that case.

It's just going to take time.

First port of call is to always power down everything to stop the attack and gauge how far it's gone

Cheers - but the risk of attacker having got the data is separate right ? And that’s still a real threat?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Fantastic. Seems like a good chunk of cohort 7 is being dealt with now considering I got my date too today and my cousin also got hers.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭eoinbn

snotboogie wrote: »
    Ya, which further highlights the ineptitude of the HSE, as people are clamouring for the vaccine here yet we still have one of the slowest rollots per capita.

Either we don't have the vaccines(or the syringes to use them, which many US states are also facing) or we are working towards a slightly different plan. I think it might be the former.

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Cheers - but the risk of attacker having got the data is separate right ? And that’s still a real threat?

Yeah it's possible, depends how far the attack went, what it actually was, where it got in etc. They'll have been trying to see what's been impacted today.

Usually there'd be 2 ransoms, 1 to get access back to your systems and another to not release the data.

Loads of cohort 7 folk seem to be getting allocations today. Really hope the attack today doesn't fck up the next set of individuals in that group being allocated.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Fantastic. Seems like a good chunk of cohort 7 is being dealt with now considering I got my date too today and my cousin also got hers.

Its seems its being dealt with now thankfully . I think the TDs were being bombarded about the delay

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

degsie wrote: »

I was wondering is it because the doctors get 70 euro for each patient they vaccinate...are they pretending they have more of cohort 4 and 7 than they have in reality ? Are any actual checks being carried out

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Registration page back up online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭josip

Registration page back up online.

Oh no it's not. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,929 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

If you vulnerable you are vulnerable. Who cares what age you are.
    why do they feel left out if their peers haven't got the vaccine either

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

josip wrote: »
    Oh no it's not. :)

is for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Fergal Bowers saying on Twitter that Dr Tony Holohan has received the advice from NIAC re under-50s “but he has not written to the Minister”.

Pure speculation but if it was the result the Minister wanted, then you’d suspect there would be more urgency about that letter...

revelman wrote: »
    Fergal Bowers saying on Twitter that Dr Tony Holohan has received the advice from NIAC re under-50s “but he has not written to the Minister”.

Pure speculation but if it was the result the Minister wanted, then you’d suspect there would be more urgency about that letter...

The guidance can sometimes be quite lengthy and wordy. Might just the CMO hasn't processed it all yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

revelman wrote: »

Saw that and had some thought. At very least though NIAC need to space out the Pfizer shots after the new research today showing it was 3.5 times more effective if spaced 12 weeks apart

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Saw that and had some thought. At very least though NIAC need to space out the Pfizer shots after the new research today showing it was 3.5 times more effective if spaced 12 weeks apart

To be fair to the U.K., their scientists theorised this a few months ago and went ahead with a 12 week space for all vaccines. Other countries went the same way in the meantime. Better late than never, I guess...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Turtwig wrote: »
    There might be an element of brown nosing but how many people will openly let their neighbours know if they have an underlying health condition. I'd say they be more inclined to lie and say they've nothing or had mild asthma than release very sensitive info.

Much easier to pretend you've a special relation with the GP than let everyone know you've heart failure.

Actually that’s probably a fair enough point. I’m sure some GPs are being a bit loose with the rules as they are getting good money for it too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭archfi

I've just got an SMS for my 1st vaccine appt for next Tuesday, registered last Sunday (no high risk, 50's)
    Does this mean the HSE systems are recovering somewhat? Hope so.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

UK scientific advice on the Indian variant. Significantly more transmissible than B.1.1.7 (50%!).

Time in my opinion to give everyone in the country a single dose of vaccine as quickly as possible, and stop dithering.

https://twitter.com/AdamJKucharski/status/1393253535584821252

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement