Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

I just want to get my vaccine so I can unsubscribe from this thread and the main covid thread for a while.

I thought I’d be the same but I just got my second dose (a couple of hours ago!) and I’m still obsessed with this thread!

I actually think it’s been brilliant, you have the few antivaxxers spewing crap and getting hammered by the science-based responses; lots of people who are nervous or looking for info and being reassured by the knowledgeable people here; lots and lots of statistics and reports (I love a bit of number crunching) and best of all you have the people who are so obviously delighted to be getting their vaccine that every one puts a smile on my face!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Pandiculation

Just in case you're registering - the vaccine portal is now back up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

nibtrix wrote: »
    I thought I’d be the same but I just got my second dose (a couple of hours ago!) and I’m still obsessed with this thread!

I actually think it’s been brilliant, you have the few antivaxxers spewing crap and getting hammered by the science-based responses; lots of people who are nervous or looking for info and being reassured by the knowledgeable people here; lots and lots of statistics and reports (I love a bit of number crunching) and best of all you have the people who are so obviously delighted to be getting their vaccine that every one puts a smile on my face!

This thread has been very informative and someone always willing to answer a query

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Just in case you're registering - the vaccine portal is now back up and running.

A good sign that the process has begun of bringing back up "safe" systems

hmmm wrote: »
    UK scientific advice on the Indian variant. Significantly more transmissible than B.1.1.7 (50%!).

Time in my opinion to give everyone in the country a single dose of vaccine as quickly as possible, and stop dithering.

https://twitter.com/AdamJKucharski/status/1393253535584821252

That's transmission advantage. It's still too early to say how much of that is a property of the virus itself and how much is a function of other effects (travel, household density etc.). The PHE report yesterday showed the secondary attack rate among non travellers to be about the same as B.1.1.7.

When B.1.1.7 first came along the secondary attack rate compared to other variants shot up across the board. This suggests that B.1.617.2 might be *as* transmissible it's unlikely to be more transmissible. There's a lot of confounders in the data so it will take time to know for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Has been a couple of hours now. When it was down, there was a page that showed a number you were on the 'queue', not sure what it meant, and whether it referred to how many more appointments were ahead of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Hardyn wrote: »
    That's transmission advantage. It's still too early to say how much of that is a property of the virus itself and how much is a function of other effects (travel, household density etc.). The PHE report yesterday showed the secondary attack rate among non travellers to be about the same as B.1.1.7.

When B.1.1.7 first came along the secondary attack rate compared to other variants shot up across the board. This suggests that B.1.617.2 might be *as* transmissible it's unlikely to be more transmissible. There's a lot of confounders in the data so it will take time to know for sure.

Germany have put the UK on their red travel list because of this f****g variant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Pandiculation

Has been a couple of hours now. When it was down, there was a page that showed a number you were on the 'queue', not sure what it meant, and whether it referred to how many more appointments were ahead of you.

I assume the only good thing about the HSE's systems is they're unlikely to be integrated at any fundamental level. So, I'd say a lot of services will go back live again as soon as they've ironed out where the risk actually is.

The vaccine portal is a cloud service anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Everything was paused, the queue wouldn't bring you anywhere

Just to follow on. Here's a thread discussing the PHE report from yesterday.

https://twitter.com/kallmemeg/status/1392938581736443910?s=20

Also here's another good one. Well worth a read.

https://twitter.com/erikmvolz/status/1393201817891246081?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Fantastic. Seems like a good chunk of cohort 7 is being dealt with now considering I got my date too today and my cousin also got hers.

Well done

What changed from your GP saying your asthma didn't qualify to then saying it did?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Everything was paused, the queue wouldn't bring you anywhere

Oh sure, I know that. I meant whether the figure displayed by the system at the time of the 404 type screen, had some significance e.g. no. of appointments due to be sent later that day or something. The figure I saw was about 6000, which wouldn't be much. Was just wondering what figure it might be, I wasn't waiting thinking I would get somewhere :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

A good sign that the process has begun of bringing back up "safe" systems

Contact tracing and test result systems back now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Well done

What changed from your GP saying your asthma didn't qualify to then saying it did?
    It was the receptionist who rang me so I didnt even bother asking to be honest as I don't care :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

solerina wrote: »
    I was wondering is it because the doctors get 70 euro for each patient they vaccinate...are they pretending they have more of cohort 4 and 7 than they have in reality ? Are any actual checks being carried out

Where are you getting that figure?

The GP covid vaccination plan covers the administration of the Covid-19 vaccines in GP surgeries

Under the plan GPS are paid €25 for administering each dose of the vaccine with an additional one-off €10 processing fee per patient. That’s €60 for two doses and €35 for one dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

hmmm wrote: »
    UK scientific advice on the Indian variant. Significantly more transmissible than B.1.1.7 (50%!).

Time in my opinion to give everyone in the country a single dose of vaccine as quickly as possible, and stop dithering.

https://twitter.com/AdamJKucharski/status/1393253535584821252

I think they're trying to speed up second doses for the over 50s because of this. They were very slow to add India to the Red list which was very unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Contact tracing and test result systems back now too.
    This is why they paused the idea of turn test centres into walk-in centres.

Fair play to them, long weekend ahead but they're getting the key stuff back quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

got phone call 2day pfzier lol from gp ecplained i had astra in march

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Hodger

A question if anyone can help me out which vaccines are being offered to the 30_ 40 age demographics and which vaccines are being offered to the over 60s only ? I'm enquiring for both myself an older relative.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭eoinbn

Hodger wrote: »
    A question if anyone can help me out which vaccines are being offered to the 30_ 40 age demographics and which vaccines are being offered to the over 60s only ? I'm enquiring for both myself an older relative.

As it stands now 30-40 will be offered Pfizer or Moderna. They won't be vaccinated until late June or July.
    Over sixties could get any of the 4 vaccines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭blackcard

?????????

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Hodger

eoinbn wrote: »
    As it stands now 30-40 will be offered Pfizer or Moderna. They won't be vaccinated until late June or July.
    Over sixties could get any of the 4 vaccines.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    I think they're trying to speed up second doses for the over 50s because of this. They were very slow to add India to the Red list which was very unusual.

Yep clinically vulnerable will be prioritsed for second doses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

got jab 1 astra in galway racecourse
    my doc rang 2day 1 jab pzier
    told doc
    he said lists are not perfect
    secondvjab racecouse in a few days...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭celt262

told doc

Any winners?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭leck

told doc
    ???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Tyrone212 wrote: »

Did they not issue a report stating spreading out the second dose actually increased antibodies more than than a shorter second dose?
    So they are going against their own findings?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Skygord

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Germany have put the UK on their red travel list because of this f****g variant.

Good. We should too.

I was in UK this week to visit dying Mum (1st time over in 17 months). I was shocked by the lack of controls on my inbound travel (no PCR needed even though I'd done one, and no passenger locator form as I have a UK passport). I was in Indiant variant hotspot (town of Blackburn), and horrified to see the lack of precautions taken by Pakistani and Bangladeshi communities. That was before it was Eid on Thursday - there will be have been lots of super spreader events that day especially.

UK was slow to add that region to red list, and there was a surge in travel after the announcement before the red listing came into effect. Even after that, I heard routing via Istanbul was used for a week before that was closed off too.

I was proud of our controls on the way back - PCR, Passenger locator form and I'm now in self isolation at home and my wife has temporarily moved out. The care home had us do daily Rapid Antigen Testing and PPE, and gave me a few boxes of NHS rapid tests to take away with me, which I'll use till I do another PCR on day 5 or 6 of home quarantine.

We should absolutely ban travel from GB RIGHT NOW.

I don't say that lightly, as my Mum did indeed pass away (thankfully I got there in time to spend her last 2 days with her, after not seeing her for 17 months which was awful), and my Mum's funeral will be in about 2 weeks.

On Wednesday they announced 'surge vaccinations' at the MVC at Blackburn Cathedral - family members received texts saying it was now opened to anyone over 20. And surge testing is ramped up in these areas too.

But Boris says next Monday's next step of opening-up is going ahead with no changes!

We should add GB to our red list RIGHT NOW.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,424 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

The UK is talking about reducing the AZ second dose to 8 weeks because of the Indian variant which they say maybe up to 50% more transmissible than the UK version and delaying reopening. Quite concerning, it has a feeling of Christmas all over again - we are going gang-busters ahead with reopening despite a new more transmissible variant starting to spread. I hope we react more quickly this time if the numbers start heading like they did back then again.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Vaccinated30

Supercell wrote: »
    The UK is talking about reducing the AZ second dose to 8 weeks because of the Indian variant which they say maybe up to 50% more transmissible than the UK version and delaying reopening. Quite concerning, it has a feeling of Christmas all over again - we are going gang-busters ahead with reopening despite a new more transmissible variant starting to spread. I hope we react more quickly this time if the numbers start heading like they did back then again.

The numbers of cases are not important. Most of the 400 plus cases a day are in people under the age of 45 and the hospitals are not over run. The elderly are protected. The vulnerable are mostly protected at this stage. We as a country do not need to react to cases. We need to carry on with the opening up and unless the hospitals are under pressure then we will open.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement