Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,715 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Flying Fox wrote: »
    It's not ideal to have older people having to stand in line for hours to get a vaccine. Especially when it could be avoided with a bit of proper organisation.

We've just invented a vaccine for a pandemic within a year of the disease break out, but coming up with a queuing system that stops the Irish from arriving too early or too late and avoiding bunching is currently beyond our scientific capabilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Call me Al wrote: »
    I can't find this reported anywhere.

Where did you see this?

It been the top story in Irish independent website all evening :D

HSE to call on 40-50 age group to register for Covid vaccine within days - Paul Reid

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/hse-to-call-on-40-50-age-group-to-register-for-covid-vaccine-within-days-paul-reid-40429702.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

km79 wrote: »
    It been the top story in Irish independent website all evening :D

HSE to call on 40-50 age group to register for Covid vaccine within days - Paul Reid

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/hse-to-call-on-40-50-age-group-to-register-for-covid-vaccine-within-days-paul-reid-40429702.html

Fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

secman wrote: »
    The older people and vulnerable were dealt with in their GP surgery, myself, wife had ours on seperate days in Citywest, i also brought my brother to the Aviva for his, so I've had 3 waiting times but it was worth it. None of us saw people flaking out, collapsing, nor did we come across whingers. All 3 of us felt the time passed quickly, the 15min wait felt the longest part.
    Wife is 65, im almost 64, brother almost 60.

It's not a case of being old and vulnerable. You could be 50 with a bad back or bad leg and standing in line for over an hour can be an excruciatingly painful experience. It's our first experience using MVC's, the likes of Citywest, initially had the building, a queue and 2 portaloos. Overtime as capacity ramped up, they added a tent outside to queue out of the rain, the 2 portaloos were replaced with 2 prefab toilets and then they added a second tent. The overflow car park was opened etc.... all that, but they never made any provision to make sure people don't arrive on site more than ~5mins before their time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

BTW we are last in Western Europe in administrating vaccines per capita

Care to back that claim up with some data ??

Very close to EU average and not last in Western Europe. You've just repeated a claim by another poster which was disputed this afternoon by other posters. Not leading the way nor bottom of the pack either. Room for improvement indeed there is in the next few weeks as we push past 280k a week and on into the 300s

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1196071/covid-19-vaccination-rate-in-europe-by-country/

Note our data will also be lacking due to non reporting for the last few days which will make it look worse than it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Why would it be any slower to give Pfizer????

Pfizer / Biontech is more difficult to handle.

Very close to average and not last in Western Europe. You've just repeated a claim by another poster which was disputed this afternoon by other posters. Not leading the way nor bottom of the pack either. Room for improvement indeed there is in the next few weeks as we push past 280k a week.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1196071/covid-19-vaccination-rate-in-europe-by-country/

Note our data will also be lacking due to non reporting for the last few days which will make it look worse than it is.

Based on 11th May data, we were at 38.94 per 100, so 3rd last behind Sweden and the Netherlands in western Europe (Netherlands data was from May 9th).

Yes next week we push 280k, that's a nice figure, but we have far too much sitting in the fridge. The Moderna stock is a joke, that should be used. (don't give me that hold back 50% crap, that's disproven)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,596 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

"It’s one shot and a 15 minute wait. Standard time of 1.5-2hrs is absolutely insane. Either their bookings are incorrect or their queue management is incorrect"

The Mass Vaccine Centres are dealing with a couple of thousand people every day, staffed by a lot of volunteers, get a life , 2 hours out of your life to get a free vaccine, they are doing a 12 hour shift ! Thankfully people like you are in the minority, i thanked every volunteer i encountered on my Vaccine appointment.

I don't think it was directed at me.

I wasn't really moaning or complaining.
    I basically just stated the what it was like.

We didn't really care but up until Today the process took half an hour and was sort or wondering why there was a wait so much Today.

Also if anybody is wondering the Mallow center seems to be operating 9 - 5.

Geuze wrote: »
    Pfizer / Biontech is more difficult to handle.

More difficult to transport and store. But once it's in the MVC's and prepped, no different than AZ or J&J to administer.

Wolf359f wrote: »
    Based on 11th May data, we were at 38.94 per 100, so 3rd last behind Sweden and the Netherlands in western Europe (Netherlands data was from May 9th).

Yes next week we push 280k, that's a nice figure, but we have far too much sitting in the fridge. The Moderna stock is a joke, that should be used. (don't give me that hold back 50% crap, that's disproven)

I'm not giving you any crap(slightly odd turn of phrase to use to be honest, but anyway moving on).... simply disputing a point made.

As for Modernas rollout have heard more appointments locally referencing Moderna now in the last few days. Likewise know of someone getting J&J through a MVC this Tuesday.

• Advertisement

Ireland consistently get 95% of vaccines into arms within a week, we can start giving out when that stops happening. All the excess usable Moderna amounts to a days worth of vaccines, it's nothing to worry about, yet.

We also have a really high take up of vaccines, this is as important as the numbers as it gives us a higher chance than other countries of getting to herd immunity, the abundance of caution that slowed the rollout (I would disagree with decisions around AZ and J&J here) may be the thing that convinces people to go and get vaxxed.

astrofool wrote: »
    Ireland consistently get 95% of vaccines into arms within a week, we can start giving out when that stops happening. All the excess usable Moderna amounts to a days worth of vaccines, it's nothing to worry about, yet.

We also have a really high take up of vaccines, this is as important as the numbers as it gives us a higher chance than other countries of getting to herd immunity, the abundance of caution that slowed the rollout (I would disagree with decisions around AZ and J&J here) may be the thing that convinces people to go and get vaxxed.

We get 95% of our total deliveries into the arms. That 5% is a percent of all deliveries to date. It's not 95% of vaccines delivered on a Monday will be used within a week.

Moderna is used about 1k a day, that's like 4 months supply sitting around.

High uptake means jack **** if we're slower jabbing people. It means we'll have more vaccines in the fridge than other countries.

Very close to EU average and not last in Western Europe. You've just repeated a claim by another poster which was disputed this afternoon by other posters. Not leading the way nor bottom of the pack either. Room for improvement indeed there is in the next few weeks as we push past 280k a week and on into the 300s

https://covid19.shanehastings.eu/vaccines/

We are not close to European average if look at Western Europe which should be our peers - we are at Eastern Europe levels. At this early stage we are falling significantly behind many countries in Western Europe.
    There you go, world in data. See bottom of the page, we were already bottom before the cyber attack- Netherlands late reporting. Check out what countries are in Western Europe and you will get your answer.
    We have 650K vaccines on page, after vaccines being accounted for in previous days prob have 500k+ with new delivery then on Monday.

We get 95% of our total deliveries into the arms. That 5% is a percent of all deliveries to date. It's not 95% of vaccines delivered on a Monday will be used within a week.

Moderna is used about 1k a day, that's like 4 months supply sitting around.

High uptake means jack **** if we're slower jabbing people. It means we'll have more vaccines in the fridge than other countries.

As the roll out pace increases that % will increase due to more second doses being administered , just to give you a glimpse of the future.

https://covid19.shanehastings.eu/vaccines/

We are not close to European average if look at Western Europe which should be our peers - we are at Eastern Europe levels. At this early stage we are falling significantly behind many countries,
    There you go, world in data. See bottom of the page, we were already bottom before the cyber attack. Check out what countries are in Western Europe and you will get your answer.

You relaise that chart hasn't been updated since the 11th for Ireland right?

So your basing a claim on data that's now 5/6 days old.

Ireland hasn't been updated on that chart in 5 or 6 days and probably won't for another few days, starts to fall down the list because data hasn't and can't be reported and people start to complain... couldn't make it up.

Let's see your maths for 650k vaccines in storage at this moment so(hint - it'll be difficult to get an accurate answer given the lack of recent reporting)

Will gladly revisit the subject with you when all the numbers come in for the last few days and next few days.

Ireland hasn't been updated on that chart in 5 or 6 days and probably won't for another few days, starts to fall down the list and people start to complain... couldn't make it up.

Let's see your maths for 650k vaccines in storage at this moment so.

I mentioned that exact point in my post. We were last on that slide for Western EU at the point before systems shut down. I work in data, sometimes i really think people have pre-conceived ideas before even looking.

astrofool wrote: »
    As the roll out pace increases that % will increase due to more second doses being administered , just to give you a glimpse of the future.
    The 95% is based on doses administered, it has no relevance to the fact they are 1st or 2nd doses etc... Why would we be holding back X number of doses this week for 2nd doses due in 2 weeks, if we're getting Y doses delivered before that?

Ireland hasn't been updated on that chart in 5 or 6 days and probably won't for another few days, starts to fall down the list because data hasn't and can't be reported and people start to complain... couldn't make it up.

Let's see your maths for 650k vaccines in storage at this moment so(hint - it'll be difficult to get an accurate answer given the lack of recent reporting)

Will gladly revisit the subject with you when all the numbers come in for the last few days and next few days.
    So if you check the data from May 11th, where is Ireland in the vaccine rollout in western Europe on May 11th? 1st, 2nd?

I'm not giving you any crap(slightly odd turn of phrase to use to be honest, but anyway moving on).... simply disputing a point made.

As for Modernas rollout have heard more appointments locally referencing Moderna now in the last few days. Likewise know of someone getting J&J through a MVC this Tuesday.

The Moderna crap, is the fact most of the EU has used up most of their Moderna stock, we have used 91k of 219k. Potentially 128k doses sitting idle, or 64k fully vaccinated people/ Do we really need to hold back 128k doses for (at most) 91k first doses? It's more about 30k fully vaccinated and 30k with a first dose), so hold back 128k doses for 30k second doses?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,151 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I mentioned that exact point in my post. We were last on that slide for Western EU at the point before systems shut down. I work in data, sometimes i really think people have pre-conceived ideas before even looking.

Not according to the ECDC. On Sunday 7th we were 10th of the 30 EU/EEA countries for first doses in arms and very little between us and the two countries in 9th and 8th

• Advertisement

charlie14 wrote: »
    Not according to the ECDC. On Sunday 7th we were 10th of the 30 EU/EEA countries for first doses in arms and very little between us and the two countries in 9th and 8th

T'is a far cry from March 1st where we were 5th in the EU, behind Malta & Hungary. (both of whom we don;t include as their roll out for various reasons in incomparable) But maybe people on here are happy dropping from 5th to 17th. Above EU average to below EU average.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,151 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

T'is a far cry from March 1st where we were 5th in the EU, behind Malta & Hungary. (both of whom we don;t include as their roll out for various reasons in incomparable) But maybe people on here are happy dropping from 5th to 17th. Above EU average to below EU average.

The ECDC data up until last Sunday included both Malta and Hungary. If you exclude both then Ireland was 8th out of the remaining 28 EU/EEA countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,855 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

"It’s one shot and a 15 minute wait. Standard time of 1.5-2hrs is absolutely insane. Either their bookings are incorrect or their queue management is incorrect"

The Mass Vaccine Centres are dealing with a couple of thousand people every day, staffed by a lot of volunteers, get a life , 2 hours out of your life to get a free vaccine, they are doing a 12 hour shift ! Thankfully people like you are in the minority, i thanked every volunteer i encountered on my Vaccine appointment.

And it's not typically 1.5-2hrs. Most centres it's 30-35minuts from start to finish. The Aviva seems to have issues but elsewhere around the country it's a steady throughput with hardly a cue at all. Very efficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Wonder if 30-40 will be the week after next. That would be amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Vicxas wrote: »
    Wonder if 30-40 will be the week after next. That would be amazing
    Well that's the PR bit of it, that offered a vaccine promise by the end of June and it would be great. Anecdotally, some areas are still well in the 60s in terms of shots and the 50s group will be waiting for a good week or so longer. With the 2-3 week projected wait that means if over 40s are registered next week, it will be mid June and 30-40s at the end of June minimum if things go well.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 adubintipp2

The Moderna crap, is the fact most of the EU has used up most of their Moderna stock, we have used 91k of 219k. Potentially 128k doses sitting idle, or 64k fully vaccinated people/ Do we really need to hold back 128k doses for (at most) 91k first doses? It's more about 30k fully vaccinated and 30k with a first dose), so hold back 128k doses for 30k second doses?

It was clear that the HSE wanted to give the +50’s adenovirus based vaccines, while vaccinating <50’s in parallel with mRNA vaccines. This was not politically feasible, but given the amount of Moderna and Pfizer in fridges, is it possible we are partially doing this via the back door.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

It was clear that the HSE wanted to give the +50’s adenovirus based vaccines, while vaccinating <50’s in parallel with mRNA vaccines. This was not politically feasible, but given the amount of Moderna and Pfizer in fridges, is it possible we are partially doing this via the back door.

I’d say it’s this. Essentially if you don’t use AZ or JJ on the over 50’s the rest goes to waste. So they will use all of AZ/JJ first and then move onto Pfizer/Moderna. Only negative being that they could be vaccinating a few more people a week earlier. But if they are expecting deliveries of AZ/JJ and people have to wait an extra week, I don’t really see an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    And it's not typically 1.5-2hrs. Most centres it's 30-35minuts from start to finish. The Avi, va seems to have issues but elsewhere around the country it's a steady throughput with hardly a cue at all. Very efficient.

All my age group , friends and neighbours were in MVCs . No one had to wait 2 hours , the average was 60 minutes and many in and out in under that . Like you said the Aviva seems to have issues for some inexplicable reason and you get the odd day in others but as far as I can see they are running really well .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭secman

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    All my age group , friends and neighbours were in MVCs . No one had to wait 2 hours , the average was 60 minutes and many in and out in under that . Like you said the Aviva seems to have issues for some inexplicable reason and you get the odd day in others but as far as I can see they are running really well .

Wife : Citywest 70 min, late evening
    Me: Citywest 50 min, early morning
    Brother: Aviva 70 min, late evening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Wife : Citywest 70 min, late evening
    Me: Citywest 50 min, early morning
    Brother: Aviva 70 min, late evening

So not 1.5-2 hours then ? Yeh 60-80 minutes seems to be the average. I was in and out in 45 minutes and that included a 30 wait for observation .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement