Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

That Pfizer news is absolutely huge. That's 250k more fully vaccinated people.

More than covers that figure that was floating around regarding some doses of AZ possibly going unused with the new guidelines.

EDIT: In fact, looking at those charts, it gets close to covering the entire Q2 delivery of AZ to the EU!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

rm212 wrote: »
    More than covers that figure that was floating around regarding some doses of AZ possibly going unused with the new guidelines.

EDIT: In fact, looking at those charts, it gets close to covering the entire Q2 delivery of AZ to the EU!
    It almost entirely negates any effect of the AZ changes. Pfizer/BioNTech are ridiculous :pac:

sd1999 wrote: »
    But it'll be months before they get Pfizer. Every official has been quite emphatic that you should take what you're offered and that no one is going to be able to choose.

That doesn't stop people telling themselves that, no matter how many times its spelled out

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭sd1999

It almost entirely negates any effect of the AZ changes. Pfizer/BioNTech are ridiculous :pac:

Just eyeballing it, if AZ and J&J was to be used for the remaining over 70s and 60-69s, surely most problems would level out?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭sd1999

That doesn't stop people telling themselves that, no matter how many times its spelled out

Oh I know yeah, I fully understand. I think they really need to make it explicit that if you don’t take the first vaccine offered, you’ll have to wait quite a while. As in give an example of X refusing a AZ in May and having to wait until Y to get Pfizer.

I wonder if the 16 weeks is more of a deterrent than any potential side effects for over 60s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

sd1999 wrote: »
    Just eyeballing it, if AZ and J&J was to be used for the remaining over 70s and 60-69s, surely most problems would level out?

It would but looks like by the time they get round to making that decision, all the over-70s will have had their first dose of Pfizer/Moderna so by then it'll be too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Pfizer Inc. and BioNTech SE will raise Covid-19 vaccine deliveries to the European Union by 50 million this quarter, offering good news to the bloc after Johnson & Johnson’s shot was paused. The U.S. drugmaker will bring forward deliveries scheduled for the fourth quarter, European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen said Wednesday. The additional supplies will add to the 200 million dose

Read more at: https://www.bloombergquint.com/business/pfizer-biontech-on-track-to-beat-second-quarter-eu-vaccine-goal

Give it a week when Ursula announces she was either misinformed or Pfizer not adhering to their contractual obligations.

I'd take anything coming out of the EU with a grain of salt at this stage.

If what's being leaked out of today's cabinet meeting its clear mixing Vacinnes and extending time frames between doses being considered, not at all surprised, Donnelly & Co will clutch at anything by now. Just shocking ineptitude.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

I presume RTE will be leading with this story today then? :rolleyes:

Are you the chief news editor in RTE by any chance?

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0414/1209776-covid-19-live-blog/

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Taoiseach confirms extra 545k in Q2.

Wonderful news. The best vaccine of them all too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Are you the chief news editor in RTE by any chance?

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0414/1209776-covid-19-live-blog/

:D Guilty as charged

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,829 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

BigMo1 wrote: »
    I'd say we're much more likely to follow suit in cancelling usage than buy unused doses.

Probably but that is tragic for us all collectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

If this happens as planned I'd imagine AZ will be politely told to take their vaccine elsewhere shortly. I'd have no issue taking AZ (I'd take it tomorrow if offered!) but with Pfizer performing like this, AZ are getting less and less worth the hassle.

marno21 wrote: »
    Taoiseach confirms extra 545k in Q2.

Wonderful news. The best vaccine of them all too.

One vaccine to rule them all

550141.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 16,714 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Absolutely, fully agreed on all of that. It's all hindsight.

I don't think Pfizer themselves would have been able to expand the capacity earlier even if they wanted to, it's a bit like saying a company should immediately start mass producing their first prototype before testing it. It's too early to even guess at what large scale manufacture would be and what issues would be found.

If this happens as planned I'd imagine AZ will be politely told to take their vaccine elsewhere shortly. I'd have no issue taking AZ (I'd take it tomorrow if offered!) but with Pfizer performing like this, AZ are getting less and less worth the hassle.

Pfizer still aren't going to be enough to save the summer for the economies of Europe.

Especially if Johnson is delayed as well.

The impact of that will cost much more in lives lost and destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Denmark have already done it. I suspect others will follow suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Good news indeed, I think we all needed it.

My dad is 67 and immunocompromised. He was supposed to get AZ in a MVC on Saturday but never got the appointment in the end. Fingers crossed he will get it in the next few days and he is off his arthritis at the moment (in anticipation of getting the vaccine) and the pains are quite bad. Every day longer he has to wait, the pain gets worse so you can understand my frustration.
    Danzy wrote: »
    Pfizer still aren't going to be enough to save the summer for the economies of Europe.

Hopefully the J&J issue will be sorted in the next few days and we still get the 600k as expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Well I don't know about your neighbour, but mine was saying he didn't trust vaccines because a hidden cabal of billionaires, who actually might be lizards in human form, have planned this whole charade by installing 5G antennae all over the world in order to elicit the effects of a virus that doesn't exist, in order to administer to the global population a "vaccine" which will actually be used to suppress the ability for the human race to reproduce.

Slightly different to the Govt's policy of making decisions based on certain rare side-effects.

In fairness, you need to invite your neighbour over for drinks and dinner and engage in some riveting conversation with him. Also, when the pubs open, bring him for a feed of pints and get some real perspective on how the world works.. :rolleyes:

That's good to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Danzy wrote: »

J&J looks like a short pause at present.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

We should really have a bank Holiday to honour the guys in Biontech who created the vaccine and the gang at Pfizer who produced it in huge numbers.

If/when we get out of this, that vaccine is going to have played a massive roll - and to think a few months ago AZ was considered the game changer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Good news

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/ireland-to-receive-545-000-extra-pfizer-vaccine-doses-under-eu-deal-1.4537139

European Union countries will receive 50 million more Covid-19 vaccines produced by Pfizer and BioNTech in the second quarter, the head of the EU commission said on Wednesday, as deliveries expected at the end of the year are brought forward.

545,000 more for us. That covers for the bulk of AZ due in Q2 assuming they actually came good

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    We should really have a bank Holiday to honour the guys in Biontech who created the vaccine and the gang at Pfizer who produced it in huge numbers.

If/when we get out of this, that vaccine is going to have played a massive roll - and to think a few months ago AZ was considered the game changer
    mRNA is surely the future. If they can get on the flu with it and if it's as effective against cancers as early reports suggest then it's the future of medicine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Van.Bosch wrote: »

Yeah they’ve just raised the price massively too, nice gang indeed. Our grandkids will appreciate that bank holiday as they work their asses off to pay back this debt.
    AZ was at least made affordable, and will still be the game changer for poorer (less indebted) countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

mRNA is surely the future. If they can get on the flu with it and if it's as effective against cancers as early reports suggest than it's the future of medicine.

Rumblings about Alzheimer's too in the last week it seems, alongside CRISPR tech :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Rumblings about Alzheimer's too in the last week :)
    MS too is under research by BionTech.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Multipass wrote: »
    Yeah they’ve just raised the price massively too, nice gang indeed. Our grandkids will appreciate that bank holiday as they work their asses off to pay back this debt.
    AZ was at least made affordable, and will still be the game changer for poorer (less indebted) countries.

If they charged Europe 5 times the price it would be cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

is_that_so wrote: »
    MS too is under research by BionTech.

Fantastic. This tech is absolutely unbelievable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

My mum (72) getting hers next Friday, pfizer, dr said 4 weeks to second jab. Delighted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement