Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,087 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

There really aren't "plenty" in the 70s group waiting. There were over 450k of an estimated 480k done last weekend.

Roughly 7% left, 2-5% of whom are probably refuseniks.

That is plenty out of a group that the government claimed weeks ago were vaccinated. Plenty of callers into radio stations complaining at the ads put out claiming this cohort was complete when their parents were still waiting. We had the same problem with the over 80s weeks before that.

Why are they waiting? Are they being proactive and chasing it up?

Different reasons I guess. There have been many doctors left without promised vaccines while others got more than ordered. This has been covered almost daily on Newstalk & RTE radio. I'd imagine a lot in that age group aren't into chasing it up.

There is another thread on vaccine rollout & still people in 70s only getting it recently

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    That is plenty out of a group that the government claimed weeks ago were vaccinated. Plenty of callers into radio stations complaining at the ads put out claiming this cohort was complete when their parents were still waiting. We had the same problem with the over 80s weeks before that.

Different reasons I guess. There have been many doctors left without promised vaccines while others got more than ordered. This has been covered almost daily on Newstalk & RTE radio. I'd imagine a lot in that age group aren't into chasing it up.

There is another thread on vaccine rollout & still people in 70s only getting it recently

I didn’t get mine from my GP. I had to go to a local hotel. It was very streamlined, though.

I would encourage anyone in the over 60 groups who haven’t been vaccinated to try their GP first, just in case details were entered incorrectly on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

African people work in Ireland you know.

Appreciate that, the last time i spoke to someone with a south African accent was acall centre and they were in south Africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Wondered could this be a problem for older people getting appointments in different counties transport wise rather then the local centre as i encountered.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,087 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I didn’t get mine from my GP. I had to go to a local hotel. It was very streamlined, though.

Over 70s were GP for the most part as far as I know. Not all GPS offered vaccination. Over 60s are vaccination centres, again, as far as I know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

For people saying plenty of over 70,s left to do , not plenty but definitely some , for example a neighbour of my mother lady who is 72 was complaining to my mam everyday about not getting called for her vaccine even though she never contacted her GP as she didn’t want be bothering him.
    When she was finally convinced to make contact it turned out her name was left off the list due to an admin error and had her first jab 4 hours later.
    If people feel they are being left behind they need to pro active in finding out why that is the case especially if know people in similar circumstances are receiving the jab .

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭sidcon

I fall into cohort 7, however my doctor is not doing vaccination in clinic as its not suitable.
    There not answering phones or emails, two friends of mine on same corticosteroids have got their vaccination 3 weeks ago.
    Is there some where I can contact to see what is happening other than going to doctor physically?

harr wrote: »
    For people saying plenty of over 70,s left to do , not plenty but definitely some , for example a neighbour of my mother lady who is 72 was complaining to my mam everyday about not getting called for her vaccine even though she never contacted her GP as she didn’t want be bothering him.
    When she was finally convinced to make contact it turned out her name was left off the list due to an admin error and had her first jab 4 hours later.
    If people feel they are being left behind they need to pro active in finding out why that is the case especially if know people in similar circumstances are receiving the jab .

That's fair enough, but the explicit instruction that has been communicated to groups being done by GPs has been not to make that call, they will call you. You can't blame people that followed that advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

I'm registered since February 18th under the group 2 (e) frontline worker. Still waiting for vaccination. Got a text May 1st asking me to reply with Yes if still requiring first dose or text No if I wanted to wait for my age group. Texted yes but still haven't heard back since. Very confused. Work are none the wiser and I've emailed the CHO which I fall under. Anyone in similar situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

ElChe32 wrote: »
    I'm registered since February 18th under the group 2 (e) frontline worker. Still waiting for vaccination. Got a text May 1st asking me to reply with Yes if still requiring first dose or text No if I wanted to wait for my age group. Texted yes but still haven't heard back since. Very confused. Work are none the wiser and I've emailed the CHO which I fall under. Anyone in similar situation?

What CHO are you under? To be honest your best bet is contacting your representative body and seeing if they can get you sorted. 2e were done months ago from what understand, my job told me register under 2d but when i read the groupings I was more 2f so went under thst one.

Seemed to be location dependant, I was a few weeks after d and e in Dublin but colleagues in 2d outside of Dublin got done after me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

duffman13 wrote:
    What CHO are you under? To be honest your best bet is contacting your representative body and seeing if they can get you sorted. 2e were done months ago from what understand, my job told me register under 2d but when i read the groupings I was more 2f so went under thst one.

duffman13 wrote:
    Seemed to be location dependant, I was a few weeks after d and e in Dublin but colleagues in 2d outside of Dublin got done after me

CHO 9. Yeah we have a staff meeting in the morning so it'll be top of the schedule!

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Vaccinated30

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Appreciate that, the last time i spoke to someone with a south African accent was acall centre and they were in south Africa.

Last time I spoke to someone with a SA accent was a nurse in a and e Temple St last week. I don't know why a person's accent is relevant to your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,715 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Wolf359f wrote: »
    Half of their deliveries, not half of the entire order delivered to date. Which would include doses used for first and second doses.

As an example:
    Week1: 20k delivered (10k used, 10k stored)
    Week2: 20k delivered (10k used, 10k stored)
    Week3: no delivery
    Week4: 10k delivered (5k used, 5k stored)
    Week5: 10k delivered (5k used, 5k stored, 10k from week 1 storage used for 2nd doses)
    Week6: no delivery (10k from week 2 storage used for 2nd doses)
    Week7: 8k delivered (4k used, 4k stored, no second doses needed yet)
    And so on.

To be honest, I would expect the numbers of Moderna and Pfizer to get weird (even weirder for Moderna) over the next couple of weeks as the over 50's get done, then a big rollout to the over 40's/30's, I doubt anything will be mentioned about it officially unless there's a change in the NIAC guidance.

edit: this sites good if you want to look at some of the raw data:
    https://qap.ecdc.europa.eu/public/extensions/COVID-19/vaccine-tracker.html#distribution-tab

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Any indications yet on the possible use of J&J or AZ for under 50s ?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,086 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Flicking through the headlines on The Guardian about (admittedly only a few) fully vaccinated people in hospital with the Indian variant is a bit concerning. England is about to open up indoor activities much as Israel did at the start of March, so how do they compare in their vaccination programmes?

Israel, 7 March - ~57% first doses, ~43% second doses, 425 daily cases avg
    UK, 15 May - ~53% first doses, ~29% second doses, 33 daily cases avg

Difficult otherwise to make comparisons due to different vaccines used, differences in variants circulating, demographics, behaviour and household composition.

Nonetheless it'll be interesting to see how the next couple of weeks pan out. Hopefully it'll be a non-story!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Lumen wrote: »
    Flicking through the headlines on The Guardian about (admittedly only a few) fully vaccinated people in hospital with the Indian variant is a bit concerning. England is about to open up indoor activities much as Israel did at the start of March, so how do they compare in their vaccination programmes?

Israel, 7 March - ~57% first doses, ~43% second doses, 425 daily cases avg
    UK, 15 May - ~53% first doses, ~29% second doses, 33 daily cases avg

Difficult otherwise to make comparisons due to different vaccines used, differences in variants circulating, demographics, behaviour and household composition.

Nonetheless it'll be interesting to see how the next couple of weeks pan out. Hopefully it'll be a non-story!
    Hancock: most Bolton Covid patients eligible for jab but haven’t had it

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/16/hancock-defends-india-travel-ban-delay-as-covid-variant-cases-mount

More on this:

https://twitter.com/DarrenGBNews/status/1393850888591138818?s=19

Study from Oxford:

https://twitter.com/sailorrooscout/status/1393724139857403905?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Lumen wrote: »
    Flicking through the headlines on The Guardian about (admittedly only a few) fully vaccinated people in hospital with the Indian variant is a bit concerning.

One person had both jabs and it's unknown how recent their second jab was. I wouldn't say that's particularly concerning myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭B2021M

That's fair enough, but the explicit instruction that has been communicated to groups being done by GPs has been not to make that call, they will call you. You can't blame people that followed that advice.

Exactly this. And then we wonder why people in Ireland disregard rules. I have heard of many 'admin errors' too. Youd wonder if those 'errors' led to a handy spare dose for someone much younger at the end of a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,086 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

stephenjmcd thanks, I've read those but I'm still curious about how it'll play out epidemiologically. Hopefully will encourage everyone to register for vaccination as soon as they're allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,012 ✭✭✭Christy42

One person had both jabs and it's unknown how recent their second jab was. I wouldn't say that's particularly concerning myself.

None of the vaccines are 100%. Main thing is to get enough people vaccinated that cases where the vaccine doesn't work are irrelevant since they never come in contact with the disease due to vaccinated people around them.

Till then there will be people with the vaccine who still contract the disease and most likely whatever the most rampant strain is at the time. Numbers will of course be lower which is the good news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Any indications yet on the possible use of J&J or AZ for under 50s ?

Regarding J&J, RTE have said "Regarding any possible changes to the use of the Johnson and Johnson and AstraZeneca vaccines for a wider cohort of people, Dr Henry said the relevant information has been received and an operational decision is expected be made in the middle of this coming week."

Why can't someone release what NIAC said? I wonder does "operational decisions" indicate that NIAC have approved J&J for those aged 45 and over?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

FDA might grant the first full license for a Covid-19 vaccine next month (to Pfizer-BioNTech).

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1393967453739225090

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

harr wrote: »
    The rate of vaccination will be depend on the size of MVCs that people might have access to. If you're near one of the very big ones which are really moving but if you are in say the midlands or northeast it could be a while for them to finish over 60s.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,855 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

is_that_so wrote: »
    The rate of vaccination will be depend on the size of MVCs that people might have access to. If you're near one of the very big ones which are really moving but if you are in say the midlands or northeast it could be a while for them to finish over 60s.

Over 60s are almost complete in the north east.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Over 60s are almost complete in the north east.
    That seems to depend where you are, know of a number who were still waiting this week. There are also those issues in Meath. New proposed MVC will only be doing 1,500 a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,855 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

That seems to depend where you are, know of a number who were still waiting this week. There are also those issues in Meath. New proposed MVC will only be doing 1,500 a week.

Ok, must depend on your definition of North East.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Ok, must depend on your definition of North East.
    I'd include Cavan, Monaghan and some bits of Meath as well!

1500 a week, seriously? 220 vaccines a day? That's a joke given the population of Meath. Or is there already an MVC operational doing more?

duffman13 wrote: »
    1500 a week, seriously? 220 vaccines a day? That's a joke given the population of Meath. Or is there already an MVC operational doing more?
    There is one in Navan, that is the new one for Drogheda.

https://www.lmfm.ie/news/lmfm-news/hse-issues-update-on-covid-19-vaccine-roll-out-in-louth-and-meath/

• Advertisement

I'd heard rumblings some regions were struggling to get vaccinators. Interestingly enough it said "up to 1500 depending on supply and staffing levels"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement