Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

Does anyone know when we expect to vaccinate the 30-39 cohort? Registration in two weeks, perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

never_mind wrote: »
    Does anyone know when we expect to vaccinate the 30-39 cohort? Registration in two weeks, perhaps?

I'd imagine registration probably around the 7th of June at best with the upper ends of that beginning to get appointments a week or so later

Depends on the J&J/AZ decision from NIAC

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

never_mind wrote: »
    More like at least 3 weeks. If over 40s start registering from the end of next week that's the rest of May. As others have commented there seems to be a gap of about 10 days between each age group it so might be mid-June.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Last time I spoke to someone with a SA accent was a nurse in a and e Temple St last week. I don't know why a person's accent is relevant to your post.
    Don't take it personal chill out.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

duffman13 wrote: »
    I'd imagine registration probably around the 7th of June at best with the upper ends of that beginning to get appointments a week or so later

Depends on the J&J/AZ decision from NIAC

I thought they recommended use under 60? God, I can’t keep up.

Slightly grateful my birthday is this week. It’ll push me up the line but it hasn’t taken away from the lines on my fave!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Must say though when you do register and are at right age found them very quick with a reply for appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭deeperlearning

is_that_so wrote: »
    That seems to depend where you are, know of a number who were still waiting this week. There are also those issues in Meath. New proposed MVC will only be doing 1,500 a week.

Plenty of people in Meath getting appointments for City West and Helix.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,351 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

is_that_so wrote: »
    That seems to depend where you are, know of a number who were still waiting this week. There are also those issues in Meath. New proposed MVC will only be doing 1,500 a week.

MOre of a VC than an MVC so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Green light for J&J and AstraZeneca vaccination for those in 40-49 range, the Indo reports here.

- The recommendation from the National Immunisation Advisory Committee (Niac) is to allow both vaccines be offered to people from the age of 40 – changing the current restriction confining them to those over 50.
    - Both vaccines can now be used in people over 40 but anyone who is offered one in this age group will be asked for their consent after the very small risk of unusual blood clots is explained.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Green lighted expected for AZ & JJ to be used in over 40s.

Not sure why they mention the consent part, that's already in place and has been for a while

https://m.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/green-light-for-j-and-j-and-astrazeneca-vaccination-for-those-in-40-49-range-40432452.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

The IT reports that it will take a number of days to consider the NIAC recommendation re AZ and J&J since use in people under 50 will come with a number of “conditions” attached.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/hse-seeks-clarity-on-use-of-hundreds-of-thousands-of-doses-of-covid-19-vaccines-1.4566851

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭celt262

How many times are the 'experts' going to move the goalposts on this. I'm not complaining I will take either.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭JRant

revelman wrote: »
    The IT reports that it will take a number of days to consider the NIAC recommendation re AZ and J&J since use in people under 50 will come with a number of “conditions” attached.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/hse-seeks-clarity-on-use-of-hundreds-of-thousands-of-doses-of-covid-19-vaccines-1.4566851

AZ for the under 50's is going to be a very hard sell for that cohort. With 16 weeks between doses and another 2 weeks to be "fully" vaccinated for EU travel it pushes people out to late October, early November. J&J is a different matter and I'd imagine most people will gladly take it as it's one and done.

Going to be very interesting to see what happens.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Plenty of people in Meath getting appointments for City West and Helix.
    I'm sure they are but the point stands that some parts of the country are not moving as fast as the rest, whether through demographics or infrastructure. That'll even out over time but will probably be the case until we get to a wider vaccination network in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

revelman wrote: »

I wonder what these "conditions" are.
    And why the HSE still need several days to review NIAC advice.

I don't think that the portal for 40-49 will open this week. I think it will be later. The wording is that information will be given later this week on when people aged 40-49 can register and over the weekend it was an announcement will be made on when people can register.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

JRant wrote: »
    AZ for the under 50's is going to be a very hard sell for that cohort. With 16 weeks between doses and another 2 weeks to be "fully" vaccinated for EU travel it pushes people out to late October, early November. J&J is a different matter and I'd imagine most people will gladly take it as it's one and done.

Going to be very interesting to see what happens.

AZ isn't likely to matter all that much to be honest. 2nd doses will be due to begin soon and at the pace they deliver it'll all go to dose 2

AZ isn't likely to matter all that much to be honest. 2nd doses will be due to begin soon and at the pace they deliver it'll all go to dose 2

So, the likelihood of getting AZ if 40-49 is small then ?

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

Do the newspapers know that these vaccines are going to be approved for 40+ or are they guessing?

Getting a bit sick and tired of hearing about important government policy through the media before any formal announcement

• Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Probably similar to the 50-60 cohort where is was "allowed" to be used but in practical terms not many were given to that cohort. There must be a lot of cohort 2 coming up for their second dose soon, so that's a great point you made. It's going to be allowed for optics but more or less not used at all.

As matter of interest, will we see a slow down in first doses administered over the coming weeks or maybe into June when all the over 50's are due a second dose?

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭JPup

EDit wrote: »
    Do the newspapers know that these vaccines are going to be approved for 40+ or are they guessing?

Getting a bit sick and tired of hearing about important government policy through the media before any formal announcement

It’s normal for leaks to happen this way. Then if Joe Duffys phone lines are hopping because an idea is too controversial it can be scrapped before it was ever even official policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

they've called my age group now 40 -49.
    I'm not applying for it , anybody else here not getting it?

paw patrol wrote: »

Where have they called Age 40-49 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Where have they called Age 40-49 ?

sorry I was inaccurate - they will be this week, various media say so

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

As a mid 40 something I'm not pleased with mood music this morning. Talk of approving AZ and J&J for us (I.e more vaccines available for us) but simultaneously saying it won't start for a while and will take all of June. Sounds to me like they are deliberately slowing us up to allow all the AZ and J&J get delivered so they can use all that supply on us. Yesterday I thought I'd be getting Pfizer in 3 weeks, now I reckon it could be AZ in 4 or 5 weeks. I know which I'd prefer....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

I will be applying for it as soon as I’m allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭celt262

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    I will be applying for it as soon as I’m allowed.

I will be in like a shot when i get a date and not bothered about what they give me.

I think its clear you dont "get it"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

SusanC10 wrote: »
    So, the likelihood of getting AZ if 40-49 is small then ?

I wouldn't be surprised if they, operationally, decided AZ was primarily for second doses and J&J was a choice for the 40-50. Plenty will take J&J for the convenience factor of 1 shot, and those that are reticent will be allowed refuse and get an alternative date (maybe at the end of 40-50 grouping) for Pfizer etc, rather than make it look like they are making it like a sanction.

They can't really up the "consent" angle and hit you if you don't - they want everyone vaccinated, so if you don't consent, you'll have to get another vaccine - when they can.

But there is probably more AZ ordered than just 2nd doses?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Indo: "Both vaccines can now be used in people over 40 but anyone who is offered one in this age group will be asked for their consent after the very small risk of unusual blood clots is explained.

The vaccines will also be used in those over 40 where alternatives are not available".

:confused: Am I reading this wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

I think its clear you dont "get it"

Well other countries have seen a drop off once you hit this age bracket and below. I’d assume the same will occur here. I know many colleagues/ neighbours in these age brackets who are not getting it. We will see, but it looks like once your into the 50% range of people taking it, there is a massive drop off in uptake. Throw in the wait times for AZ and it makes the decision even easier…

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement