Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Russman wrote: »
    If someone isn't planning on going abroad, the 16 week gap with AZ is effectively a non issue.

But it certainly is an issue for those people who are planning on having a child but are waiting until they are vaccinated to get pregnant so that their risks during pregnancy are reduced. It may not be as big of an issue for a lot of people 45+ , but it will be an issue for people in the 35-45 category who don't have time on their side. And while pregnant ladies are encouraged to get vaccinated while pregnant I know of quite a few people who don't want to take that risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭SJFly

Lumen wrote: »
    The A in NIAC stands for Advisory, right? Not Authority.

I think going against NIAC advice would be a great way to increase the number of people refusing the vaccine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Pandiculation

Given Ireland’s legal system, they’ll be going with NIAC on this. There’s no way you could really setup a scientific advisory committee and then disregard its advice and expect to have a leg to stand on if anything subsequently went wrong.

The topic is just too technical to go on the basis of anything other than the best technical advice available.

We all have opinions on this based on logistical needs and our thin understanding of the detail of the science. We’re mostly fairly knowledgeable at this stage but only fairly.

That’s why I would be somewhat loathed to just override any kind of detailed analysis by a group of people who know this topic inside out.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

SJFly wrote: »
    I think going against NIAC advice would be a great way to increase the number of people refusing the vaccine

What if NIAC simply didn't exist? EMA has last word, all this chatter and debate wouldn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭Polar101

I'm happy to take any of the "big four" vaccines, and I don't even have a preference. But the "set of conditions" and "consent" mentioned in the newspapers raises some eyebrows - I'll take a vaccine that medical professionals have determined is safe for my age group, but hopefully it doesn't come with a list of terms and conditions attached.

• Advertisement

OwenM wrote: »
    What if NIAC simply didn't exist? EMA has last word, all this chatter and debate wouldn't happen.

The EMA’s role is different to the FDA. That’s why you still have national bodies making decisions on the finer details. Some of this is still devolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

revelman wrote: »
    I don’t think the J&J deliveries for May are looking that promising. The Germans are expecting only 30,000 next week.

Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

ddarcy wrote: »
    I’d say they are holding back vaccines and NIAC is telling them to not do this. Another poster was complaining on Moderna sitting in the fridge, etc. Basically the current plan is to give AZ and hold off vaccinating instead of giving an available vaccine sooner. NIAC I think is saying don’t do that and get jabs in arms. Might explain some of the slow rollout so far.

Real pity we can’t get the daily stats anymore and see progress.

Did Germany order that many J&J doses though? I’m getting the impression that Germany is rather more keen to focus on the BioNTech supply chain, as that’s where Germany has awareness of what’s going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Source?

Sorry, I meant to say we should be expecting only 30,000. The Germans are expecting 540,000

The German figures are divided into those going to MVCs and those going to GPs.

https://www.bundesgesundheitsministerium.de/fileadmin/Dateien/3_Downloads/C/Coronavirus/Impfstoff/Lieferprognose_Praxen-Betriebsaerzte_2._Quartal.pdf

Here is GP delivery schedule. No J&J earmarked for MVCs since start of month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

Did Germany order that many J&J doses though? I’m getting the impression that Germany is rather more keen to focus on the BioNTech supply chain, as that’s where Germany has awareness of what’s going on.

We have a single european order and everyone is getting their share according to their population.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

This is why I think there is a deliberate delay now for the 40 somethings. HSE don't want all of us vaccinated by the time the big J&J consignment arrives at the end of June....

Doesn't seem to be the case
    https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1394240124020535298

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

revelman wrote: »
    Sorry, I meant to say we should be expecting only 30,000. The Germans are expecting 540,000

The German figures are divided into those going to MVCs and those going to GPs.

https://www.bundesgesundheitsministerium.de/fileadmin/Dateien/3_Downloads/C/Coronavirus/Impfstoff/Lieferprognose_Praxen-Betriebsaerzte_2._Quartal.pdf

Here is GP delivery schedule. No J&J earmarked for MVCs since start of month.

So J&J by the end of May will have only given us approx 50,000 since April and we're expecting them to give us 550k over the course of June?

Expect to be disappointed.

muddypuppy wrote: »
    We have a single european order and everyone is getting their share according to their population.

Countries didn’t draw down their whole orders for AZ previously and the Pfizer order was dramatically expanded

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Fergal Bowers reporting this morning that next cohorts will be given choice to choose AZ/J&J or wait for an MRNA vaccine.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0516/1221987-vaccine-rollout-advice/

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

Hurrache wrote: »

I don't know how to feel about this. It doesn't seem helpful to pitch the vaccines this way and will only hurt the already damaged reputation of AZ and J&J.

Call me Al wrote: »
    Fergal Bowers reporting this morning that next cohorts will be given choice to choose AZ/J&J or wait for an MRNA vaccine.

That is good news if true.

• Site Banned Posts: 52 ✭✭Chuzzle7

I fall into group 7 on the vaccination list.

My GP is still vaccinating the over 70s. They still don't have vaccines for the very high risk, which I think is group 4.

HSE website says GPs are vaccinating group 7 from early May. The GP get deliveries every two weeks but are still on group 4.

Where do I stand on all this? While HSE are moving down in ages, I'm still waiting in group 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,048 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I suppose it isn't bad to give people an option on vaccines....but...it seems a bit mad that other places like the UK are flying ahead with AZ for example for the same ages?

I got my first AZ in NI about 5 weeks ago I am 39.

If given option down here I would thought most people would go for the one shot J and J?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

BigMo1 wrote: »
    I don't know how to feel about this. It doesn't seem helpful to pitch the vaccines this way and will only hurt the already damaged reputation of AZ and J&J.

Can't see how it can hurt AZ any further. I don't think the J&J one has reputational damage though, and the big attraction for that one is it's one shot.

There's already whinging by people on Twitter about it, damned if they do, damned if they don't.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Chuzzle7 wrote: »
    I fall into group 7 on the vaccination list.

My GP is still vaccinating the over 70s. They still don't have vaccines for the very high risk, which I think is group 4.

HSE website says GPs are vaccinating group 7 from early May. The GP get deliveries every two weeks but are still on group 4.

Where do I stand on all this? While HSE are moving down in ages, I'm still waiting in group 7.

If your age group opens just register then and see who gets to you first, it’s all you can do.

You’ll get offered an mRNA vaccine if it’s available as default.

If, and only if, it’s not available, you’ll get the option of a viral vector vaccine - J&J or AstraZeneca, which you can turn down and wait for an mRNA option to come into stock.

So you won’t be able to just go … I’d like a J&J please.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Russman

Deemed by whom? I want go back us this year yet AZ is not approved there, I suspect they won’t “deem” it as suitable vaccine for purpose of travel in

Deemed by the HSE/Irish Govt.
    I said excluding for international travel purposes. Its part of the "vaccine bonus" they've been talking about re the benefits of getting vaccinated, they listed the timelines for each of the jabs as to when you were considered vaccinated.

gmisk wrote: »
    I suppose it isn't bad to give people an option on vaccines....but...it seems a bit mad that other places like the UK are flying ahead with AZ for example for the same ages?

I got my first AZ in NI about 5 weeks ago I am 39.

If given option down here I would thought most people would go for the one shot J and J?

A lot of people in their 40s are trying to avoid AZ in the UK. There are ways to do it with a bit of research. Certain centres are more likely to offer the mRNAs, there are clues on the booking system (i.e. if there's a small list of venues for the second dose it's likely not AZ).

Also bear in mind that the UK is far more reliant on AZ than we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Any hint of what day 40-49 will open on the portal? It’s still only open for 50-59.
    They're saying that the registration dates will be "announced" later this week, with the first jabs taking place by the end of the month.

Working it back, that means it'll probably open for 49's next Monday, though there might be a surprise and they'll pull it forward to Thursday or Friday.

This means that a small number of 49s will get jabbed on the 30th or 31st May, but the reality is that the bulk of the 40-49 group will get their first jabs in mid-late June.

That's my reading of it. The latest stuff on being able to choose your jab might throw a spanner in the works though,.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

Russman wrote: »
    Yeah, I think there would be a massive uptake of J&J in the pharmacies tbh if it was offered.

Rumblings this is nearly ready to be given the green light but both the Adenovirus vaccines. Might muddy the waters a bit, apparently guidance was ready to go Friday to pharmacies but NIAC advice was a little tricky so guidance is being reworded to pharmacies.

There isn't a tonne of supply of either at the moment and I believe there were over 800 pharmacies looking to participate. Either way, it'll still be a min of early June by the time they are set up on coldchain

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭SJFly

Call me Al wrote: »

Interesting. And it says they will only be permitted to use the J&J or AZ if the mRNA are not available. I believe our stocks and supplies of the mRNA are pretty solid now so it's hard to see these not being available for any significant period. I'm confused as to how this will work in practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

In the 40's cohort myself (lower end ;)). I'll certainly be taking whatever is offered whenever it's my turn......slight preference for J&J, just to have a single dose and done, but will be delighted to get any of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Why don’t they just put a tick box into the vaccine portal - are you willing to accept a viral vector vaccine? Include a link to risks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

Can't see how it can hurt AZ any further. I don't think the J&J one has reputational damage though, and the big attraction for that one is it's one shot.

There's already whinging by people on Twitter about it, damned if they do, damned if they don't.

I think it’s still shown to luck. You’re not really being given a choice. If they offer you AZ orJ&J you can decline. I’d say if they offer J&J there well be a higher uptake. AZ means you’ll be waiting 18 weeks to be fully vaxed. AZ is dead now IMO. If I want to travel I’ll easily wait an extra couple of weeks at most for an mRNA one as I’d still get a chance to travel this summer long before I can with AZ…

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement