Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

Quick Q, has the ransomware attack stopped the HSE scheduling new vaccine appointments or are the texts still going to people in their 50s?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,647 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

You’ll get offered an mRNA vaccine if it’s available as default.

If, and only if, it’s not available, you’ll get the option of a viral vector vaccine - J&J or AstraZeneca, which you can turn down and wait for an mRNA option to come into stock.

So you won’t be able to just go … I’d like a J&J please.

Seems like you wouldn't find out then until you go to the vaccination centre on the date... It wouldn't have any affect on how soon you get an appointment or where.
    (Based on the RTE article "if an mRNA vaccine is not available at the time of vaccination")

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

ddarcy wrote: »
    I think it’s still shown to luck. You’re not really being given a choice. If they offer you AZ orJ&J you can decline. I’d say if they offer J&J there well be a higher uptake. AZ means you’ll be waiting 18 weeks to be fully vaxed. AZ is dead now IMO. If I want to travel I’ll easily wait an extra couple of weeks at most for an mRNA one as I’d still get a chance to travel this summer long before I can with AZ…
    It bears repeating, per health authorities, you are considered fully vaccinated 4 weeks after first dose of AZ, provided you get the second dose when invited to do so. This is earlier than with either of the mRNA vaccines

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

BigMo1 wrote: »
    Quick Q, has the ransomware attack stopped the HSE scheduling new vaccine appointments or are the texts still going to people in their 50s?

Texts are still going out.
    My friend and her partner were sent appointments yesterday for the Helix later this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

BigMo1 wrote: »

They’re still going out. My mam and auntie both got theirs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Hurrache wrote: »

Does mean we won't know until we get to the MVC what we are getting? Or will we still know in advance on the portal/text like the older groups?

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Seems like you wouldn't find out then until you go to the vaccination centre on the date... It wouldn't have any affect on how soon you get an appointment or where.
    (Based on the RTE article "if an mRNA vaccine is not available at the time of vaccination")

But surely that would lead to chaos. Swathes of people turning up to MVCs and then rejecting what they are offered on the day and having to reschedule...

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

You can keep repeating that but in terms of travel you need both AZ doses. If travel is not an issue then fine, but the lower age group you go, the more people will want to travel.

Also that 4 weeks isn’t universal. So it may be grand here, but not elsewhere. This was our famed politicians trying to take anything positive out of AZ to get people to take it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Pandiculation

odyssey06 wrote: »

You might get a text or there may be more options in the portal. I’d say they’re only working out the logistic now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Cole

ddarcy wrote: »
    I think it’s still shown to luck. You’re not really being given a choice. If they offer you AZ orJ&J you can decline. I’d say if they offer J&J there well be a higher uptake. AZ means you’ll be waiting 18 weeks to be fully vaxed. AZ is dead now IMO. If I want to travel I’ll easily wait an extra couple of weeks at most for an mRNA one as I’d still get a chance to travel this summer long before I can with AZ…

But will it only be a couple of weeks to wait if you opt for an MRNA one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Per Irish health authorities only. Doesn't matter a jot if you have plans to travel this side of the new year as other countries are still asking for proof of full vaccination being completed. So, if it's a 2 dose vaccine, you need both to meet the criteria.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

You’ll get offered an mRNA vaccine if it’s available as default.

If, and only if, it’s not available, you’ll get the option of a viral vector vaccine - J&J or AstraZeneca, which you can turn down and wait for an mRNA option to come into stock.

So you won’t be able to just go … I’d like a J&J please.

This is my understanding too.

You might get a text or there may be more options in the portal. I’d say they’re only working out the logistic now.

The text tells you what you are getting. They may have another option if you want an mRNA vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Cole wrote: »

It's going to push the overall rollout out massively IMO. We are now down to 2 vaccines for the remaining population.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭SJFly

JRant wrote: »
    It's going to push the overall rollout out massively IMO. We are now down to 2 vaccines for the remaining population.

If people can't actively request J&J, and it will only be offered when supplies of the mRNA runs out, I agree. We are down to 2 vaccines for most of the remaining population

Will be interesting how they manage the logistics on this.
    Offer Pfizer or Moderna by default, fine. But then if we are short of those 2, offer J&J or AZ.

I wonder will it be more likely then given the timing that a 49 year old will get Pfizer/Moderna will no delays and that the delays may start to appear as we go down the Ages ?

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Here is Colm Henry’s reference to one of the conditions being that AZ and J&J need to be given at a “quicker pace”

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40291241.html

Again, I’m not really sure what this means given that we won’t be expecting our big J&J delivery until end of June.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

revelman wrote: »
    Sorry, I meant to say we should be expecting only 30,000. The Germans are expecting 540,000

The German figures are divided into those going to MVCs and those going to GPs.

https://www.bundesgesundheitsministerium.de/fileadmin/Dateien/3_Downloads/C/Coronavirus/Impfstoff/Lieferprognose_Praxen-Betriebsaerzte_2._Quartal.pdf

Here is GP delivery schedule. No J&J earmarked for MVCs since start of month.

All to do with that cock up at Emergent Biosolutions who are producing the vaccines for J&J, when they ruined the 15 million doses and the FDA told them to stop production until further notice.

The management of Emergent are testifying before the House of Representatives's Oversight Committee on Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭eoinbn

This kite seems unworkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

revelman wrote: »
    Here is Colm Henry’s reference to one of the conditions being that AZ and J&J need to be given at a “quicker pace”

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40291241.html

Again, I’m not really sure what this means given that we won’t be expecting our big J&J delivery until end of June.

Odd turn of phrase.

AZ is primarily going to be 2nd doses now, and that's purely down to delivery schedule. The first 12 week and 16 week dose 2 will be due quite soon.

J&J fair enough that could be dished out pretty quick, 1 and done, but not sure what that "quicker pace" comment can practically turn into

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I have to say that reading Bower's article, I feel a bit better about it than I have in days. I'd absolutely love to take J&J but I'm high risk for CVST.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Pandiculation

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Will be interesting how they manage the logistics on this.
    Offer Pfizer or Moderna by default, fine. But then if we are short of those 2, offer J&J or AZ.

I wonder will it be more likely then given the timing that a 49 year old will get Pfizer/Moderna will no delays and that the delays may start to appear as we go down the Ages ?

That would also be a poor way of doing it as the risk is inverse to your age. So 40 and 41 year olds are likely to be more concerned about this than 49 year olds. If they use an the mRNA stock by not offering them alternatives at higher ages, the issue may snowball by the time they’re at the younger end of the 40s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Polar101 wrote: »
    I'm happy to take any of the "big four" vaccines, and I don't even have a preference. But the "set of conditions" and "consent" mentioned in the newspapers raises some eyebrows -

Off topic but, how many eyebrows do you have?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Ill fall into the 40-49 range now - They can stick what they want into me to get this done and dusted with so I can get out of here in July / August!!
    Preferably the J&J one - then Im done with one shot!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,841 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Ill fall into the 40-49 range now - They can stick what they want into me to get this done and dusted with so I can get out of here in July / August!!
    Preferably the J&J one - then Im done with one shot!!!

Yes, good attitude. Hopefully large numbers of forty somethings agree with you, as it will mean the vaccination programme continuing to fly along.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Strazdas wrote: »
    Yes, good attitude. Hopefully large numbers of forty somethings agree with you, as it will mean the vaccination programme continuing to fly along.

This 44 y/o agrees, would love to get the J&J and be done in 1 shot but I'll take whatever they give me

That would also be a poor way of doing it as the risk is inverse to your age. So 40 and 41 year olds are likely to be more concerned about this than 49 year olds. If they use an the mRNA stock by not offering them alternatives at higher ages, the issue may snowball by the time they’re at the younger end of the 40s.

Yeah, I agree. But that is the way it is sounding - offer Pfizer/ Moderna by default and only if not available offer J&J or AZ which can be refused.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Russman

Interesting to see how the planning plays out and at what point in the process does the "refusal" happen and do you get told what the likely wait might be.
    I mean, as someone in my mid 40s, if I rock up to the Aviva with a text that says Pfizer and they tell me when I get there that they only have J&J, I'm more than likely going to just take it, and I suspect lots of people would too.

AZ really is dead in the water now though. I'd imagine practically nobody will choose that one given the 16 week wait for dose 2 (I know you're deemed vaccinated after 4 weeks). If the likely delay for an mRNA shot is 10 weeks or less, why would you choose AZ ?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭.42.

Im also in the 40-49

Just stick whatever is available in me

giphy.gif

• Advertisement

Cole wrote: »

Since is an opt out system they can’t penalise you for the choice. So it will more likely than not mean delaying the 39 and under groups. They can’t really start that group until they are done.

Also as long as the wait isn’t more than 12 weeks, you are better off waiting. I’d say 1 month max in fairness.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement