Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭eoinbn

ddarcy wrote: »
    Since is an opt out system they can’t penalise you for the choice. So it will more likely than not mean delaying the 39 and under groups. They can’t really start that group until they are done.

Also as long as the wait isn’t more than 12 weeks, you are better off waiting. I’d say 1 month max in fairness.

Any data to back that up or are you just pulling numbers out of thin air?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Russman

With my cynical hat on, it also gives government the ability to blame NIAC and/or those selfish 40 something year olds when/if the program is delayed.....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Russman wrote: »
    AZ really is dead in the water now though. I'd imagine practically nobody will choose that one given the 16 week wait for dose 2 (I know you're deemed vaccinated after 4 weeks). If the likely delay for an mRNA shot is 10 weeks or less, why would you choose AZ ?

Well, there's a 6 week window in there (mRNA 10 weeks away as opposed to considered vaccinated in 4 weeks time with AZ) where you might catch covid and suffer/die, so some people might consider that more important than potentially being able to say, travel abroad in 12/13 weeks time.
    Hope that makes sense.

But up to everyone personal circumstances/plans I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,841 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Interesting to see how the planning plays out and at what point in the process does the "refusal" happen and do you get told what the likely wait might be.
    I mean, as someone in my mid 40s, if I rock up to the Aviva with a text that says Pfizer and they tell me when I get there that they only have J&J, I'm more than likely going to just take it, and I suspect lots of people would too.

AZ really is dead in the water now though. I'd imagine practically nobody will choose that one given the 16 week wait for dose 2 (I know you're deemed vaccinated after 4 weeks). If the likely delay for an mRNA shot is 10 weeks or less, why would you choose AZ ?

I wouldn't be so sure that people will refuse AZ if offered. It looks like taking it won't impact at all on the EU green pass idea and that recipients will be deemed provisionally vaccinated after four weeks, so they might well take it if offered.

Well, there's a 6 week window in there (mRNA 10 weeks away as opposed to considered vaccinated in 4 weeks time with AZ) where you might catch covid and suffer/die, so some people might consider that more important than potentially being able to say, travel abroad in 12/13 weeks time.
    Hope that makes sense.

But up to everyone personal circumstances/plans I suppose.

Oh I agree completely. As you say, circumstances will come into it.

• Advertisement

Strazdas wrote: »
    I wouldn't be so sure that people will refuse AZ if offered. It looks like taking it won't impact at all on the EU green pass idea and that recipients will be deemed provisionally vaccinated after four weeks, so they might well take it if offered.

If that's the case, then absolutely, its a different kettle of fish altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

People who decline to accept Astrazeneca and Johnson &Johnson will be offered mRNA vaccines (Pfizer or Moderna) as supplies come available.

New IT article on vaccines for 40-50

I’m still really puzzled because I thought our supply problem was the other way around. Our weekly Pfizer supply will double from the end of this month. If the Germans are right, we should expect only 30k J&J next week. Unless perhaps government is expecting a major delivery of AZ this month?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Got pfziered on Saturday at Lansdowne Road. One hour from the time I walked in until the time I walked out. Not bad I think. Queues were building up just after I arrived at 5.15 so I would say those behind me had a longer wait and those in front a shorter one. It was pretty efficient I would say. No side effects apart from a sore arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

My god some people are seriously entitled . Take what is offered and be grateful for it
    I stood in a queue with over 60’s all getting AZ and not a whinge or moan did I hear
    They were all just incredibly grateful to be getting a Covid vaccine
    My husband sat outside the GP in the pissing rain with the over 70’s and all chuffed and delighted to be getting it rain or no rain .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Ill fall into the 40-49 range now - They can stick what they want into me to get this done and dusted with so I can get out of here in July / August!!
    Preferably the J&J one - then Im done with one shot!!!
    It's a great decision.

I'll fight you for the J&J.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭eoinbn

revelman wrote: »
    New IT article on vaccines for 40-50

I’m still really puzzled because I thought our supply problem was the other way around. Our weekly Pfizer supply will double from the end of this month. If the Germans are right, we should expect only 30k J&J next week. Unless perhaps government is expecting a major delivery of AZ this month?

Pfizer supply will increase by 50%.
    An additional ~200k AZ expected by the end of next week. Some of that will be for 2nd shots.
    J&J is a mystery. They are making AZ look good. 6 weeks after supplies were suppose to start and they have only delivered 4m doses.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    My god some people are seriously entitled . Take what is offered and be grateful for it
    I stood in a queue with over 60’s all getting AZ and not a whinge or moan did I hear

The benefits of AZ and J&J do not outweigh the risks for certain age groups. It's not whinging, or entitlement, to have concerns if you fall in that age group.

Ah to be fair, it is not always about entitlement. With AZ, the risk of serious side effects is almost 3 times higher for someone in their forties than it is for someone in their 60s. This should be taken into account as part of any risk assessment.

https://wintoncentre.maths.cam.ac.uk/news/communicating-potential-benefits-and-harms-astra-zeneca-covid-19-vaccine/

If that's the case, then absolutely, its a different kettle of fish altogether.

Yes, apparently the EU green pass will say that people who have received 'any' vaccine dose will be deemed as a vaccinated person.

And from what the govt have been saying, after four weeks of receiving an AZ dose you will effectively be classed the same as a Pfizer or Moderna recipient.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Here is Colm Henry’s reference to one of the conditions being that AZ and J&J need to be given at a “quicker pace”

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40291241.html

Again, I’m not really sure what this means given that we won’t be expecting our big J&J delivery until end of June.

I take it to mean that if if J and J and AZ is to be administered as opt-in, that it be done as quickly as possible with, which is why distribution at pharmacies may make the most sense. I think the news of the Indian Variant spread in the UK and it's speed amongst the unvaccinated may have weighed on the minds of the NIAC in their recommendations.

eoinbn wrote: »
    Pfizer supply will increase by 50%.
    An additional ~200k AZ expected by the end of next week. Some of that will be for 2nd shots.
    J&J is a mystery. They are making AZ look good. 6 weeks after supplies were suppose to start and they have only delivered 4m doses.

I thought our Pfizer supply was going to double. That’s what is happening in Germany...

Ah to be fair, it is not always about entitlement. With AZ, the risk of serious side effects is almost 3 times higher for someone in their forties than it is for someone in their 60s. This should be taken into account as part of any risk assessment.

https://wintoncentre.maths.cam.ac.uk/news/communicating-potential-benefits-and-harms-astra-zeneca-covid-19-vaccine/

Look I understand that and that’s fair but people posting “ I want J and J “ etc is seriously annoying at this stage.
    Posts about not wanting AZ Cos they want to travel etc . I get concerns but I don’t get “ i want I want “

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

With respect, that's because you were taking a vaccine that the experts, NIAC, said was safe for you. They have not given that endorsement to giving it to the 40s, on the contrary twice (in the case of AZ) they have declined to do that. On a third time of asking, under severe pressure from the HSE and Government, they are permitting it but with some serious caveats. So no I don't think those of us a bit worried about taking it are being entitled, we are reacting to the advice of NIAC.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Will Johnson&Johnson be offered to the 30-39 age group? That's the one I want but if I'm reading correctly, it's not available on-demand and it's down to what you are allocated?

We don't actually know yet, because all they are discussing at the moment is what will happen with the next cohort, the over 40s.

But J & J might well come into play as we near the 30s portal being opened up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,351 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Interesting to see how the planning plays out and at what point in the process does the "refusal" happen and do you get told what the likely wait might be.
    I mean, as someone in my mid 40s, if I rock up to the Aviva with a text that says Pfizer and they tell me when I get there that they only have J&J, I'm more than likely going to just take it, and I suspect lots of people would too.

I imagine it will be the same as the over 50s at present who receive an appointment specifying location and type of vaccine and can reject it up to 2 times. Whether they allow you to notify a willingness to accept any vaccine type on the portal would make sense at registration.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Look I understand that and that’s fair but people posting “ I want J and J “ etc is seriously annoying at this stage.
    Posts about not wanting AZ Cos they want to travel etc . I get concerns but I don’t get “ i want I want “

I dont think there is much of that to be honest- I havent seen or heard it (other than my mother who refused AZ due to her risk of clots and decided to wait for an mrna one)- I think most people will take what ever is offered to them in order to be vaccinated.

While there might be a preference in which vaccine we would prefer Id say most people will take whats offered to them first.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

iguana wrote: »
    Does mean we won't know until we get to the MVC what we are getting? Or will we still know in advance on the portal/text like the older groups?
    If one was running this as a commercial concern, the registration portal would ask you to state a preference, which they could then use to schedule people into the relevant MVCs on the relevant days.

They won't though, for the reason that if you give people a choice, they will usually take it.

If a 40-something is somewhat iffy on AZ then at registration they'll choose to not get it.
    But if instead they get a text saying "you'll be vaccinated tomorrow with AZ, do you want it?", then they'll probably say, "Yeah, OK" to get it over and done with.

Others who are more certain about not wanting it, will say no and won't experience any undue delay.
    It could be to do with the logistics of vaccinating the entire 40+ range side-by-side. It means you don't have to pause vaccinating one age group in an area for a week because you're only using AZ that week.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    I dont think there is much of that to be honest- I havent seen or heard it (other than my mother who refused AZ due to her risk of clots and decided to wait for an mrna one)- I think most people will take what ever is offered to them in order to be vaccinated.

While there might be a preference in which vaccine we would prefer Id say most people will take whats offered to them first.

I hear very little of it around me in real life . Just on boards you see posts about wanting Pfizer or J and J etc
    It just irritated me a bit because my age group were so delighted to get anything snd take anything offered to them and so grateful for it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

is_that_so wrote: »
    I felt like it was a mistake not to have a centre in Drogheda, but I'm a bit biased so I didn't want to comment. I get more anti-vax vibes from family and friends there than in other places, but it's highly anecdotal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Sanofi, the French pharmaceutical company, said on Monday that it would move the experimental Covid-19 vaccine it is developing with GlaxoSmithKline into a late-stage trial after the shot produced strong immune responses in volunteers in a midstage study.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/17/business/sanofi-glaxosmithkline-vaccine-trial.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭crossman47

Three times a miniscule risk is still miniscule.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Apogee

Broad numbers from Reid on Morning Ireland:
    -Over 2.1M total doses administered
    -Well over 1.5M have received dose 1 (41% population)
    -Over 560k have received dose 2 (15%)
    -Likely 260-270k doses administered last week.
    https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/html5/#/radio1/21954408

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

I hear very little of it around me in real life . Just on boards you see posts about wanting Pfizer or J and J etc
    It just irritated me a bit because my age group were so delighted to get anything snd take anything offered to them and so grateful for it

For most age groups over 60 the vaccine is seen primarily as a life saver. For those younger than that it's seen primarily as a way of getting back to normal life. So differences in attitude are to be expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Isn't that more to do with the fact that age group were at risk from COVID?
    As we get into the younger groups that risk reduces drastically so the same incentives don't apply.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Apogee wrote: »
    Broad numbers from Reid on Morning Ireland:
    -Over 2.1M total doses administered
    -Well over 1.5M have received dose 1 (41% population)
    -Over 560k have received dose 2 (15%)
    -Likely 260-270k doses administered last week.
    https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/html5/#/radio1/21954408

That gets us to about 42 doses per 100

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement