Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭jellybear

According to my family, that doesn't work. The people you finally get to talk to have no power to do anything. Maybe a call to Joe might be the only answer for them!

So sorry to hear your parents are still waiting.
    You need to get on to politicians ASAP. As mentioned above, there was an issue in Meath where a large number of over 60s were waiting over 3 weeks from registration. It finally got resolved over the weekend but only after 2 TDs and a councillor got involved. You need to hound them. They're elected by the public so they need to help you. It's the only thing that worked for the people of Meath who had similar issues to your parents.
    Also, contact all local GPs. Tell them the situation and ask to be put on any waiting list they may have incase of no shows, cancellations, additional vials they may receive etc. Let them know your parents are available at short notice, if they are. Exhaust all avenues. It's awful to have to do any of this but the HSE helpline clearly isn't getting you anywhere.
    Hoping they hear something soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Few other people who are asthmatic that I know with various different GPs have now been called for the vaccine next week. Looks like they're starting to work through group 7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Russman wrote: »
    Like I say, I'll take whatever, but when you see countries like Australia and the Nordics etc deciding not to use or severely limit the use of J&J/AZ, its very odd to me that NIAC would loosen our restrictions at the same time.

It very much feels like NIAC had their arm twisted by the government re: Janssen

Just like the government twisted NPHET's at Christmas

/awaits mental gymnastics from the usual government defenders on here. One in particular is becoming parody like

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭plodder

paw patrol wrote: »
    flu kills. people aren't too desperate for that vaccine. why is that? the hype. Covid has great PR. I can't deny that.
    Flu isn't a novel virus causing a pandemic
    Sure covid can kill but people die from all manner of things but unless you are sick or really old (and then it's really the sick & old combo) you aren't at much risk of dying. As pointed out my granny got it in jan at 101 and was fine.
    I caught it and I was fine like your granny, but I'm prepared to do my bit to protect myself and others for the future.
    384 people (as per CSO 30th april) under 65 have died in ireland "with covid" since it began. out of 5 million. Every death is sad on an individual level but I can't get into a flap over those numbers. If I did, I'd never leave the house.
    Not sure where those figures come from, but how many do you think would have died without the measures we took, like the lockdown?
    an EMA approved vaccine - you mean the "conditional marketing authorisation granted " vaccines.
    That's it exactly. Approved vaccines. Not just any old crap as you seemed to imply.
    definitely hasn't skipped a few steps in testing and authorisation. In no way has their been any "fast tracking" oh...

like this

"less comprehensive clinical data than normally required" defo no issues there boss.

or this

https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/human-regulatory/marketing-authorisation/conditional-marketing-authorisation

stick it in me boss.
    fcukin hell jab me twice just to be sure:pac:

conditional vaccine or almost no chance dying unless if you aren't sick/old.
    I'll chance my immune system all the same.

But in case you all take me up wrong, I'm a massive believer in personal freedom esp for your own body. So do what you will to yourself - I'm just here to chew the fat and read others opinions.
    We're in a pandemic. They figured the risks were worth taking. And it turns out they were right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Few other people who are asthmatic that I know with various different GPs have now been called for the vaccine next week. Looks like they're starting to work through group 7.

Great stuff

I wonder how much of that is referrals to the online portal and how many are now doing them in their Practice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Great stuff

I wonder how much of that is referrals to the online portal and how many are now doing them in their Practice

Some are being done in MVC’s referred by consultants .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    It very much feels like NIAC had their arm twisted by the government re: Janssen

Just like the government twisted NPHET's at Christmas

/awaits mental gymnastics from the usual government defenders on here. One in particular is becoming parody like

I'm 34. Would love JJ and be done with it!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,517 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

is it really 16 weeks betw the 2 AZ shots? 4 months!

is it still necessary to have it that spread out? supply wise?

Never anything to do with supplies. 12 weeks is specified by AZ. Ireland is leaving a gap of between 12 and 16 weeks. 16 was originally touted because of the concerns over the vaccine (although it's been pretty clear all along you are statistically much better off having this vaccine than not having any). Apparently whether you are at one end of the range or the other is largely down to age

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

JRant wrote: »
    50 million doses in a little over a month. Considering how unreliable they have been to date, I'd say that's pie in the sky stuff. Starting to look like J&J will be about as much use as Moderna here, which is to say, not a lot.

How do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

gozunda wrote: »
    How do you mean?

I'd imagine its a reference to complete lack of delivery so far from Moderna. 100k roughly administered so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,123 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I am slightly confused. What exactly is it they are saying for the over 40s. Is it that we will only get a choice of vaccine if there is no Pfizer or Moderna availible or that we will get a choice and if you do not want the J J aka Jenson vaccine or Astra Zenics then you can wait for one of the other two. I know which I would choose and what I hope it is is that we do get a choice.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

It’s not ignored. It’s examined thoroughly and if something is off it’s reported. It is so thorough that within weeks of the AZ vaccine program starting the CVST issue was detected even though its a 1 in 100,000 event.

What you are continually and convenient ignoring is that everything post vaccine is reportable through the system. Sore arm, headache, unrelated migraine, hayfever, allergic reaction due to other medications, and yes every death that cannot be immediately ruled out as not been vaccine related which is most. The raw data is what you referenced with all in. The continued daily grind of weeding out the minor acceptable sore arms and mild temperatures is ongoing in regulatory bodies daily, looking for the rare events that may be concerning and then comparing to the rates of those same conditions in general.

One example is occurrence of myocarditis in people who have received the Pfizer vaccine. Yes there have been many cases, probably triggered by the immune response to the vaccine, but at numbers you would expect in the background and a far lower levels that those seen in people who get Covid.

Yes raind , Covid does cause myocarditis in some people , pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,714 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

According to my family, that doesn't work. The people you finally get to talk to have no power to do anything. Maybe a call to Joe might be the only answer for them!

Are you able to phone on their behalf? Usually I'd err on the side of letting the health professionals get on with it, but for this age not to have been vaccinated yet despite being registered implies a break in the system somewhere.

If possible, I'd try other avenues, the GP and local hospital if you're having no luck on 1850241850.

On the phone I'd be understanding, be prepared to repeat the same information and have PPS numbers to hand, but insist that something has gone wrong and that it needs to be fixed and you need to talk to the person who can fix it.

I'm just curious to know if my relatives are the only ones still waiting after a month registered to get their first appointment for vaccine. My family members are 68/69 with health issues and have not been called yet. They have called HSE about it and told a pack of lies, i.e. "you'll get an appointment within three days". Hasn't happened! Are you or someone you know still waiting? Everyone else we know in their 60's has had their first vaccine and now they're giving appointments to the 50's, one we know has no health issues! My relatives have been isolating since the first lockdown and are pretty stressed now and feeling this just can't be right.

P.S. I was advised by a Mod to post this in the Vaccine Megathread. In reply to Astrofool who responded to my original post, my relatives registered by phone, they are mobile and able to travel to a vaccination centre.

If they have underlying conditions they should have been done by their GP in group 7 at the very least?
    Where are they based?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭JRant

gozunda wrote: »
    How do you mean?

Completely insignificant and unreliable supplies delivered to date.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,928 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Beasty wrote: »
    Never anything to do with supplies. 12 weeks is specified by AZ. Ireland is leaving a gap of between 12 and 16 weeks. 16 was originally touted because of the concerns over the vaccine (although it's been pretty clear all along you are statistically much better off having this vaccine than not having any). Apparently whether you are at one end of the range or the other is largely down to age
    so can we ask to get it a 12 weeks then!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

AMKC wrote: »
    I am slightly confused. What exactly is it they are saying for the over 40s. Is it that we will only get a choice of vaccine if there is no Pfizer or Moderna availible or that we will get a choice and if you do not want the J J aka Jenson vaccine or Astra Zenics then you can wait for one of the other two. I know which I would choose and what I hope it is is that we do get a choice.

The way I read it on RTE earlier was that J&J or AZ would only be permitted to be used on Ages 40-49 if neither Pfizer nor Moderna were available at the time of vaccination. Then the person would get a choice - take J&J or AZ or wait until Pfizer or Moderna became available.

Hopefully things will become clearer this week.

No some front line health care staff asked on Twitter and the answer was no. I'll try find it now

• Registered Users Posts: 16,714 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I think it'll be interesting to see what terms/conditions attach. As someone mentioned earlier, the consent has always been a thing so its hard to know what the "new" item might be. Following on, it will be even more interesting to see how they would deal with those who don't opt in (if its an opt in model), which no doubt there will be some.

I'll absolutely take whatever I'm offered, but its hard not to have the feeling that the slightly less safe vaccines are being farmed off onto the group slightly more vulnerable to the risks, purely in the interests of logistics and the political fear of telling the 50s to wait a couple of weeks. Like I say, I'll take whatever, but when you see countries like Australia and the Nordics etc deciding not to use or severely limit the use of J&J/AZ, its very odd to me that NIAC would loosen our restrictions at the same time.

I would be interested to know if there is new data being sent to NIAC that is causing the constant changes, or if it's watching what other countries are doing and copying them. It seems to be a bit all over the place, and there is nothing stopping them releasing the data and reasoning within that data of the decisions they're making.

duffman13 wrote: »
    No some front line health care staff asked on Twitter and the answer was no. I'll try find it now
    some front line staff who were told they would be getting their 2nd shot in 12 weeks when they got their first are now getting it at 16 weeks! which is worse

• Advertisement

some front line staff who were told they would be getting their 2nd shot in 12 weeks when they got their first are now getting it at 16 weeks! which is worse

I know, I'm in that group. I honestly don't mind but they said it was to wait to see how it pans out. If they are planning on giving it after 16 weeks then just give it after 12 tbh.

Only if you are considered highrisk apparently .
    Hcws getting stretched to 16 weeks ...not high risk enough!

I'd heard from one of my part timers in work, she'd been invited to be a vaccinator despite only being a first year student. I didnt believe her until she sent me the link

https://hbsrecruitmentservices.ie/registerinterest/

Recieved to her college email address. Can't be right, if pharmacists wanted to vaccinate they had to be experienced vaccinators but now students can vaccinate? I'd heard there was issues re recruitment but didn't realise they were going into the colleges

Edit: just realised it's a register your interest portal so she maybe got ahead of herself

duffman13 wrote: »
    I'd heard from one of my part timers in work, she'd been invited to be a vaccinator despite only being a first year student. I didnt believe her until she sent me the link

https://hbsrecruitmentservices.ie/registerinterest/

Recieved to her college email address. Can't be right, if pharmacists wanted to vaccinate they had to be experienced vaccinators but now students can vaccinate? I'd heard there was issues re recruitment but didn't realise they were going into the colleges

They are probably the ones with their Leaving Certs to hand :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Russman

astrofool wrote: »
    I would be interested to know if there is new data being sent to NIAC that is causing the constant changes, or if it's watching what other countries are doing and copying them. It seems to be a bit all over the place, and there is nothing stopping them releasing the data and reasoning within that data of the decisions they're making.

If the reports are true and the guidance will be that the 40s are only offered J&J or AZ if the mRNA vaccines are unavailable, and that the person can then refuse and wait for an mRNA jab, purely IMO it sounds to me like NIAC are/were very reluctant to approve them for under 50.
    I don’t know how they explain that without throwing the HSE under the bus.

If the reports are true and the guidance will be that the 40s are only offered J&J or AZ if the mRNA vaccines are unavailable, and that the person can then refuse and wait for an mRNA jab, purely IMO it sounds to me like NIAC are/were very reluctant to approve them for under 50.
    how long is the wait though, could you wait for pfizer and still get both before you get both az considering the 16 week gap for AZ

Very much opt in for under 50s , but no problem if you don't want viral vector . Risk versus benefit level slightly more so has to be a choice .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭JRant

how long is the wait though, could you wait for pfizer but still get both before you get both az considering the 16 week gap for AZ

Even if you had to wait a month you'd still be done long before the AZ one.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

But I wonder how it actually works. If you are say 48 and they are doing them on Monday. They have Pfizer/moderna so no issues. Then they run out of that, so they start offering appointments saying you can have JJ/AZ on Tuesday or wait until the others are available. Do you then go to the top of the queue ahead of 47/46 year olds for example? Seems overly complex. If they asked you at registration do you want AZ/JJ then it goes against the nIAC recommendation of only giving it if Pfizer etc aren’t available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    But I wonder how it actually works. If you are say 48 and they are doing them on Monday. They have Pfizer/moderna so no issues. Then they run out of that, so they start offering appointments saying you can have JJ/AZ on Tuesday or wait until the others are available. Do you then go to the top of the queue ahead of 47/46 year olds for example? Seems overly complex. If they asked you at registration do you want AZ/JJ then it goes against the nIAC recommendation of only giving it if Pfizer etc aren’t available.

Also, they can't have people opting in at registration. They will probably need to explain the risks in person before any decision with the requisite informed consent can be made to take AZ or JJ given NIACs stance

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement