Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Yes raind , Covid does cause myocarditis in some people , pac:

Similar to many other viruses in fact

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Also, they can't have people opting in at registration. They will probably need to explain the risks in person before any decision with the requisite informed consent can be made to take AZ or JJ given NIACs stance

That could be messy. Let’s see how they decide to do it. It could be a case of an opt in electronically, a link to information on the vaccine, and then an explanation before administration.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

For anyone who doubts that the vaccination of children is important ...this interesting NY Times article citing multiple top epidemiologists say vaccinating children is key to ending the pandemic.

Hopefully the EMA approves Pfizer-BioNTech in June for 12-15 year olds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

unbelievable "88-year-old member of the airport cleaning crew who was fully vaccinated but who tested positive for the virus"
    feeling sorry for ppl who need to work at that age

EDit wrote: »
    The Indian variant likely didn’t exist when the trials took place. TBH, the key quote to note is “None of the cases linked to the airport outbreak are believed to have resulted in critical illness or death, according to officials.”

That is not the key note, though it is advantageous of course at the individual level that they do not get as sick or sick at all.
    At the demographic level however it is disadvantageous in a similiar manner to the way antibiotic resistance is built in wider populations by leaky antibiotic protocols at the individual level. It illustrates that non sterilising vaccines do not stop fully incubation and transmission, and thus among asymptomatic vaccinees largely invisible immune pressure is enabled to be put on the virus, in effect training it as per serial passaging practises for viruses in labs. Which may be a very big problem for the wider population.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,086 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Is that known? A number of people tested positive who were vaccinated, but the were also many who were not vaccinated. Is it known that any of those who tested positive actually passed on the virus? It is more likely that some of the staff picked it up from travellers, and unvaccinated staff subsequently spread virus to other unvaccinated staff as well as vaccinated staff as they would have had a significantly higher viral load. Those vaccinated did not get sick, and as has been demonstrated everywhere the vaccines have been studied had reduced transmission.

Vaccines do not stop transmission in unvaccinated people.

This is the TRUTH that BIG PHARMA don't want you to know.

In April, Public Health England reported the results of a large study of COVID-19 transmission involving more than 365,000 households with a mix of vaccinated and unvaccinated members.

It found immunisation with either the Pfizer or AstraZeneca vaccine reduced the chance of onward virus transmission by 40-60%. This means that if someone became infected after being vaccinated, they were only around half as likely to pass their infection on to others compared to infected people who weren’t vaccinated.

Vaccines reduce but do not prevent all transmission.

isha wrote: »
    That is not the key note, though it is advantageous of course at the individual level that they do not get as sick or sick at all.
    At the demographic level however it is disadvantageous in a similiar manner to the way antibiotic resistance is built in wider populations by leaky antibiotic protocols at the individual level. It illustrates that non sterilising vaccines do not stop fully incubation and transmission, and thus among asymptomatic vaccinees largely invisible immune pressure is enabled to be put on the virus, in effect training it as per serial passaging practises for viruses in labs. Which may be a very big problem for the wider population.

Would be so much better off with no vaccine!

Viruses do not get "trained" to vaccines. The mutate through though random selection to evade the bodies own antigens generated by the immune system rather than the vaccine itself. This is in fact more likely where a large number of unvaccinated hosts exist as there are more opportunities for mutations to occur and become fixed in the population. Should antigenic shift occur that results in a escape strain prior to sufficient immunity being reached, the solution is to add the strain to the vaccine programme, not abandon it per the anti-vaxx nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

In April, Public Health England reported the results of a large study of COVID-19 transmission involving more than 365,000 households with a mix of vaccinated and unvaccinated members.

It found immunisation with either the Pfizer or AstraZeneca vaccine reduced the chance of onward virus transmission by 40-60%. This means that if someone became infected after being vaccinated, they were only around half as likely to pass their infection on to others compared to infected people who weren’t vaccinated.

It wasn't their primary purpose anyway, just an added bonus. Preventing serious illness and death was what they were meant to do so job well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Trudee

As a 60yr old who was told by Leo to take AstraZeneca or go to back of queue where I would still get Astra Zeneca it’s a bit galling now to see roll back, a lot of 60s group received first dose in last two weeks so 2nd dose mid August meanwhile 50s, 40s done and dusted by mid July so can travel abroad if Green Travel Cert up and running which no doubt it will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Level 42

a person in their mid 40s will be offered az or jnj if others arent available and then choose which one theyll take is that correct

is_that_so wrote: »
    It wasn't their primary purpose anyway, just an added bonus. Preventing serious illness and death was what they were meant to do so job well done.

A mass vaccination campaign is a demographic exercise - this is important to keep in mind.

A mass vaccination campaign is a demographic exercise - this is important to keep in mind.

And as such, you will benefit from the demographic exercise while still spouting anti-vaxx talking points

Trudee wrote: »
    As a 60yr old who was told by Leo to take AstraZeneca or go to back of queue where I would still get Astra Zeneca it’s a bit galling now to see roll back, a lot of 60s group received first dose in last two weeks so 2nd dose mid August meanwhile 50s, 40s done and dusted by mid July so can travel abroad if Green Travel Cert up and running which no doubt it will.
    That's the HSE, not Leo and it's not a new policy to punish the over 60s. It's been there since January. Green Cert unlikely to be of use to us until August. The unvaccinated and partly vaccinated can use a negative PCR to travel anyway.

And as such, you will benefit from the demographic exercise while still spouting anti-vaxx talking points

I get it. You do not like my points. That does not change the fact that they are valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

When u reckon registrations open for 48 year olds.?
    I'll take whatever vaccine available to me and be glad of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

iggy wrote: »

Sometime maybe end of this week/start of next week

To be honest, whats a bit galling is this attitude - once in a lifetime pandemic being dealt with by the rollout of multiple vaccines in record time, and all you are worried about is that your neighbour might get to go on holidays a couple of weeks before you, even though you are protected from the actual virus well before they are

Well, as it will shortly be available to all bar the very small, that's a somewhat pointless comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

Is it not the case that the risk associated with AZ is far greater among those in their 40s than 60s though?

• Advertisement

iggy wrote: »
    I'd say it'll be confirmed at the HSE briefing later in the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,086 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Even if the first dose is insufficient for the green cert you should still be able to travel with a clear PCR test.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

Can't help but think our glorious leaders letting us down slowly re being able to travel abroad. Here in mid May, it's 'August'. In a month, it will be September but hey, we've opened a lot up.

The PR spin has been pretty solid. It's all vaccine positive stuff, completely disregarding the EU procurement mess which means we are 3-4 months behind the UK and the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,724 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I get it. You do not like my points. That does not change the fact that they are valid.

Anti-vax "points" are never valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

That's not new information.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Thread cleaned up, troll removed and posts quoting them deleted

Cal4567 wrote: »
    Can't help but think our glorious leaders letting us down slowly re being able to travel abroad. Here in mid May, it's 'August'. In a month, it will be September but hey, we've opened a lot up.

The PR spin has been pretty solid. It's all vaccine positive stuff, completely disregarding the EU procurement mess which means we are 3-4 months behind the UK and the US.

This is the exact same talk track as with relaxation of restriction,s and we actually accelerated rather than delayed

And 3 months ago UK had only delivered 50% of the vaccine doses we now have. At current rate its about 4 weeks

That's not new information.

You are dealing with someone who yesterday was reporting the raw surveillance reporting data as suggesting the the level of "injury and death" with this vaccine was unprecedented and should be stopped

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

This is the exact same talk track as with relaxation of restriction,s and we actually accelerated rather than delayed

And 3 months ago UK had only delivered 50% of the vaccine doses we now have. At current rate its about 4 weeks

I'm just basing my views on speaking to family and friends across the UK and the US. That's not just a handful of people either. I'm 68. I got the first vaccination last week. Yes, 3 months after just about everyone I know in both other countries got theirs and most of them, have had their second.

Your 'talk track'. My 'facts'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Cal4567 wrote: »
    I'm just basing my views on speaking to family and friends across the UK and the US. That's not just a handful of people either. I'm 68. I got the first vaccination last week. Yes, 3 months after just about everyone I know in both other countries got theirs and most of them, have had their second.

Your 'talk track'. My 'facts'.

Given the mortality rates across all three countries, aren't you a happy bunny to be living in Ireland.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement