Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

Blank on my mothers also, they said she'd get a text with the details for dose 2

They put it on mine. It was in a MVC. Although I’ve been told it will get moved out, but nothing official per se yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

ddarcy wrote: »
    They put it on mine. It was in a MVC. Although I’ve been told it will get moved out, but nothing official per se yet.

They said it was likely to be the same day etc but that HSE would confirm the details by text again & just to bring the card again

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    I was hospitalised with multiple pulmonary embolisms in 2017 so I'm going the try and avoid the AZ or J&J vaccines. What's the story if you hold out for the mRNA ones as I'd be keen to get vaccinated sooner rather than later.

I believe it will depend on availabilty of the mRNA vaccines. If everyone opts for those, you'll probably have to wait a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Lumen wrote: »
    Eh, seriously though, if Greystones (and possibly elsewhere) are doing 52 year olds already then they're going to run out of people to first-vaccinate before the end of this week, so opening it now would make sense.

Yeah, I had expected it to open on Thursday or so - maybe it still will.

I’m sure the cyber attack hasn’t helped but the system is independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    I was hospitalised with multiple pulmonary embolisms in 2017 so I'm going the try and avoid the AZ or J&J vaccines. What's the story if you hold out for the mRNA ones as I'd be keen to get vaccinated sooner rather than later.

If that is the case, then you should ring your GP and ask to be put on their list, rather than going through the HSE portal.

Personally, I'll take whatever is going, one-shot convenience of J&J would be nice. And tbh, being relatively young (42) and healthy, I'd nearly prefer they kept the mRNA vaccines for people who need the extra protection more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Dates? We are not worthy of dates. We must only wonder at the meaning of next and pray that it comes soon.
    Oh God, not this debate. Every now and again it pops up in our household.

My OH would swear blind that if you said "next week" on a Sunday, then you don't mean the week starting tomorrow, you mean the week starting next Monday.

So I would have said we were being told this week when the portal would open, but now you have me thinking it could be next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

seamus wrote: »
    Oh God, not this debate. Every now and again it pops up in our household.

My OH would swear blind that if you said "next week" on a Sunday, then you don't mean the week starting tomorrow, you mean the week starting next Monday.

So I would have said we were being told this week when the portal would open, but now you have me thinking it could be next week.

I would be of your OH thinking on this tbh !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

If that is the case, then you should ring your GP and ask to be put on their list, rather than going through the HSE portal.

Personally, I'll take whatever is going, one-shot convenience of J&J would be nice. And tbh, being relatively young (42) and healthy, I'd nearly prefer they kept the mRNA vaccines for people who need the extra protection more.

Yeah ringing the GP probably the best way to go, they'll have my records from my PE incident. I was at low risk of clotting when I had surgery in 2017 (46 years old then, fit and healthy non-smoker) and I'm on aspirin now so still concerns about a repeat clot - it wasn't a pleasant experience and near fatal at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Eh, seriously though, if Greystones (and possibly elsewhere) are doing 52 year olds already then they're going to run out of people to first-vaccinate before the end of this week, so opening it now would make sense.

Similarly, I know some people 55 and under who were vaccinated in Limerick yesterday. (Moderna). They seem to be flying through the age groups down here. Hopefully they will start to register the 40s soon because if they are really going as fast as it seems, they'll end up vaccinating nobody by the end of the week as all of the 50s will be done.

Trudee wrote: »
    You are incorrect when you say that my neighbours going on holidays a few weeks before me is the most galling fact; it is the fact that I was told categorically ‘take AZ or go to back of queue’ that is what is most galling and it was Leo who said it.

How is it galling? AZ does not pose the same risk to people in your age group. So of course picking and choosing a vaccine wouldn't be fair. AZ and J&J are riskier to the 40s age group but people are being allowed to take that risk in order to get a faster vaccine if they choose to. Do you actually not understand that or are you somehow just jealous that you are less at risk?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭mossie

Qrt wrote: »
    Is it only GPs who write the second appointment date on your vaccination card when you get it? My mother’s is blank, done at MVC.

Mine was left blank in Mallow MVC. She said I'll get a text for second appointment approx 28 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Russman

SusanC10 wrote: »
    So Week beginning May 24th then, I guess ?

I'm hoping it opens Thursday, but I don't know which Thursday.....:)

Joking aside though, at the rate they seem to be going, I'd expect it to open in the next 2/3 days hopefully. Texts mid next week, jabby, jabby early the week after, then on the way to blessed freedom !!!

• Site Banned Posts: 52 ✭✭Chuzzle7

I fall into group 7, rang my GP and they're still vaccinating the over 70s, and very high risk. Basically I was told that I won't be prioritized anytime soon even though the HSE has us believing that we've all moving down the vaccine list quickly.

This along with GP only gets deliveries every two weeks.

My question is... Can my GP contact me at the last minute if they have anything to spare or do they all offer appointments?

Chuzzle7 wrote: »
    I fall into group 7, rang my GP and they're still vaccinating the over 70s, and very high risk. Basically I was told that I won't be prioritized anytime soon even though the HSE has us believing that we've all moving down the vaccine list quickly.

This along with GP only gets deliveries every two weeks.

My question is... Can my GP contact me at the last minute if they have anything to spare or do they all offer appointments?

Your GP can refer you to an MVC if you are cohort 7 regardless of age
    So ask them to do that
    Quote this article
    Please let us know how you get on

https://www.thejournal.ie/cohort-7-vaccine-5436621-May2021/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

M_Murphy57 wrote: »
    ABAZ = anything but AstraZeneca

Not enough 5g in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

jellybear wrote: »
    Mater Hospital (Dublin) sending out texts, reply yes or no, if you want a vaccine. Just information for anyone who may be waiting to hear from them. My name was put forward by my consultant.

Yeah i've gotten a couple of those texts even those I was jabbed by GP 2 weeks ago..

SusanC10 wrote: »
    When do you reckon that they will open the portal for 40-49?

Lots of 50s with no appointments yet..

My OH is 54..zip..

i know two 57 year olds.. zip..

Five 56 year olds zip..

All in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Yea. Don’t want it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

So it looks like us 40's will get a choice of J&J or Astra vaccine. I'm 41 and am not in anyway nervous about the vaccine and don't really care which one but I'm leaning towards J&J simply because it's 1 jab. Just curious to my brethren out there who put a 4 in front of their age when writing it on a form does anyone have a specific preference and why or is it just a case of "which sleeve do you want me to roll up doc?"

I already have the best vaccine of them all called my immune system.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Zipppy wrote: »
    Lots of 50s with no appointments yet..

My OH is 54..zip..

i know two 57 year olds.. zip..

Five 56 year olds zip..

All in Dublin

So that's why they call you Zippy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

GT89 wrote: »
    I already have the best vaccine of them all called my immune system.

So you’ll refuse medical care if you got a bad dose of Covid and required hospitalisation. Excellent stuff. Potentially one more free ventilator, and definitely someone that wants the vaccine getting it a little sooner.

Personally I think I’d prefer the Pfizer or Moderna one. I already had covid, and don’t wish to have it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭drdidlittle

J&J, Pfizer, Moderna and AZ in that order if I had a choice but will take what they have

Sky King wrote: »
    So that's why they call you Zippy!

You missed a 'p' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 36 bargainboy

Totally agree we will have to see whats on offer at the time i guess i share a house with two nurses who both got covid in late april 2020 i self isolated with them and even though we took as many precautions possible i woke up in early may sweating like a rapist to weak to get out of bed head pounding wheezing like a 20 year 60 a day smoker (i dont smoke )took me about 3 weeks to feel a improvement (i wouldnt recommend it)anyhow started to feel much better after that though i thought i had recovered then during lock down i decided to give the inside of the house a lick of paint to prevent the "all work an no play makes jack a dull boy "scenario i was halfway through the second coat when one of the girls came home and said to me "what the hell is up with your legs "i looked down and sure enough my legs had swollen up dramatically so i took myself of to the docs who wanted me to go to the hospital to get it checked out i though feck that if the girls got it at work i wasnt about to return to the seen of the crime to try my luck again now that i had recovered ,now this was long before clotting was issue so off i went home with a letter for A%E from the doc and a packet of aspirin my legs warn t sore it felt like someone had swapped my my jeans for skinies a couple of sizes to small and they slowly returned to normal since then i have the odd bad day when i get tired doing simple things but mostly i am fine ,well thats my story of covid and i would like that to be the last chapter so i am almost certainly being over cautious and i wouldn't turn any vaccine down if that was all they had especially knowing that there is some poor fecker in India literally dying for one.Anyway best of luck all.

That's for people with specific high risks from Covid though, not for people that are potentially at higher risk of CVST from the vaccine.

I would have had a preference for J&J as I'd like to be one and done. However, I have a history of severe Spontaneous Intracranial Hypotension which puts me at high risk of CVST, so I'll be taking an mRNA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭snotboogie

European update taking the HSE number of 2.1 million vaccinated as of last Sunday. Malta have fallen under the 10 cases per million average over 7 days threshold for "zero covid" used in a number of Asian countries like Korea and Singapore. Pretty significant milestone and shows what can be achieved through vaccination.

Couple of somewhat distance groups emerging with Germany, Spain, Cyprus and Lithuania leading the pack.
    Italy, Denmark, Austria, Belgium and Portugal a bit behind.
    Then Irelands group including Sweden, France, Finland and a number of Eastern European countries more seriously behind.
    I don't know what's going on in The Netherlands but they would be in the second to last group with the Czech Rep, Slovakia and Slovenia.
    The last group are way behind including Romania, Croatia, Latvia and the worst by a mile Bulgaria.

Country per capita Date Reported Ireland Days Behind
    Malta 96 May 15th
    Cyprus 51 May 16th 13
    Lithuania 49 May 17th 9
    Germany 48 May 16th 9
    Spain 48 May 16th 9
    Denmark 46.5 May 16th 6
    Italy 46 May 17th 5
    Belgium 46 May 17th 5
    Austria 45.5 May 17th 4
    Portugal 45.5 May 17th 4
    Luxembourg 45.5 May 16th 5
    Estonia 44 May 17th 1
    Finland 43 May 17th 0
    France 43 May 16th 1
    Greece 42.5 May 17th 0
    Poland 42 May 16th 0
    Ireland 42 May 16th 0
    Sweden 41.5 May 14th 1
    Slovenia 41 May 17th -2
    Netherlands 40 May 16th -4
    Czech Rep 39.5 May 17th -5
    Slovakia 39 May 17th -4
    Romania 35 May 16th -10
    Croatia 33 May 16th -13
    Latvia 27.5 May 17th -22
    Bulgaria 16.5 May 17th -37

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I think all the vaccines are much the same apart from how long after you get the jab that you are protected.
    In the case of astra zeneca it seems to be 4 months though.
    How long after J&J does the full protection kick in?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 bargainboy

JimmyVik go to youtube channel dr John Campbell best info in one place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Pfizer is it? Sounds good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,086 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

snotboogie wrote: »
    European update taking the HSE number of 2.1 million vaccinated as of last Sunday. Malta have fallen under the 10 cases per million average over 7 days threshold for "zero covid" used in a number of Asian countries like Korea and Singapore. Pretty significant milestone and shows what can be achieved through vaccination.

So using Malta as a template, at the current rate of vaccination of around 0.8/100/day we should hit zero COVID around three weeks into July, by my estimates.

Obvs sooner with J+J and if dosing rate increases further.

edit: also interesting that Malta's cases started going down from a long plateuau around April 19, when they were at 64 doses/100. We should get to that point around mid-June. However, I see from the latest data that our case rate starting dipping strongly around 4 days ago, and may cross the UK's in the next few days! I hope that's not a hacking artifact :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement