Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

No idea how long she will have to wait. She will need to ask HSE but they may be cagey also.

I would guess not more than a few months but bear in mind JJ is one shot - vaccinated after 14 days. Pfizer is two. Two shots 4 weeks apart and vaccinated 14 days after the second shot.

7 days after the second shot for Pfizer :) still a much longer wait (5 weeks total) than the 2 weeks with J&J

• Registered Users Posts: 13 iheartpooner

Still selfishly hoping they let us opt into J&J at any age so I can use my natural post-infection immunity to get one shot with high effectiveness!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

My mrs is 50 & has been offered Janssen & she is considering not accepting due to the lower efficacy & the clotting issue but more so the lower efficacy & waiting for a nMRA option, any thoughts on how long that wait may be? If it was only a couple of months max, I’d say she may wait

She’s working from home & at very low risk of getting infected herself only goes out to walk the mutt

I think the risk of death is somewhere in the 1 in a million range. To put that in context, the risk of being killed on Irish roads this year is ~ 1 in 30,000. The risk of if being killed on the road in the next 5 years is ~ 1 in 6,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Is there a chance the younger groups will be given AZ?

Just thinking.. if a 20 something year old gets their jab in July or sometime and then has to wait 3 months for their second dose.. that's some dose.

(Fwiw I'm not a 20 something lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    I think the risk of death is somewhere in the 1 in a million range. To put that in context, the risk of being killed on Irish roads this year is ~ 1 in 30,000. The risk of if being killed on the road in the next 5 years is ~ 1 in 6,000.

Yes but we do not know the individual’s personal or family medical history. Best that the person talks to a medical expert rather than take advice on a forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭deeperlearning

funnydoggy wrote: »

Just thinking.. if a 20 something year old gets their jab in July or sometime and then has to wait 3 months for their second dose.. that's some dose.

The EU did not renew its AstraZeneca order beyond June.

Oh okay, I did not know that!

I'm normally up to date but it's exam time in college and I am trying not to have distractions.. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

revelman wrote: »
    You might be right that people would pick “the Pfizer”. But we have had media in Ireland that have been harping on about efficacy rates from trial data without understanding the nuances so it is understandable that people will go for “the Pfizer”.
    Or maybe even better, mix the two vaccines:
    https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/spanish-study-finds-astrazeneca-vaccine-followed-by-pfizer-dose-is-safe-2021-05-18

I must say, it's absolutely KILLING me not knowing vaccine figures in the last few days lol :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Well she’s gone ahead and cancelled her Janssen, what happens now? She’s not it the best of form so I’ll keep a low profile for a while, It didn’t help that I got Moderna during the week & next door neighbour same age as her got Pfizer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Deliveries will still come in beyond June. Initial contract still needs to be fulfilled.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

There will still be deliveries after June. But the answer the OP's question, I think it's unlikely that it'll be approved again for people in their 20's.

Well she’s gone ahead and cancelled her Janssen, what happens now? She’s not it the best of form so I’ll keep a low profile for a while, It didn’t help that I got Moderna during the week & next door neighbour same age as her got Pfizer

Just has to wait for another text, the text could well be an appointment for J&J again.

There will still be deliveries after June. But the answer the OP's question, I think it's unlikely that it'll be approved again for people in their 20's.

Thanks Mr. Escobar, love your work!

Oh so my original question still has legs then?

Do you know so if they'll be allocated AZ? :)

Personally I doubt it, can't see the age being lowered again.

Given the rate AZ deliver and the number of 2nd doses that'll start coming due soon I wouldn't foresee it being used all that much in the 40s either

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

PmMeUrDogs wrote: »
    7 days after the second shot for Pfizer :) still a much longer wait (5 weeks total) than the 2 weeks with J&J

But J&J efficiacy is alot less than pfzier.
    Most of the over 50's i know all got pfzier in the past 1.5 weeks

Europe has stopped ordering AZ. They are mainly going with pfzier.
    Most of the AZ order is being kept for second doses

I must say, it's absolutely KILLING me not knowing vaccine figures in the last few days lol :pac:

In Dublin west they are on people age 50-51 today.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The EU want them to complete the original order, as per contract. After that there may well be no more and we should see CureVac coming our way over the next couple of months.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

In Dublin west they are on people age 50-51 today.

Helix seems to be at 53 for Friday, great to see the centres romp down the years.

• Advertisement

pc7 wrote: »
    Helix seems to be at 53 for Friday, great to see the centres romp down the years.
    Only in some parts of the country. Poster of 60 only getting their shot about now and a lot of older 50 somethings still in the queue with no vaccination dates.

Definitely the best thread on boards. Thanks very much folks.

Also Micky if you read this, delighted you got your vaccine appointment :)

is_that_so wrote: »
    Only in some parts of the country. Poster of 60 only getting their shot about now and a lot of older 50 somethings still in the queue with no vaccination dates.

I know of people in their 30's getting it now with no medical history. I know of surgeries in Donegal, Cork and Kerry over ordered and are vaccination 30 year olds now!!!

So we will always get the rear case but in general we are motoring along and catching up the UK. We will by pass them with the 4 week pfzier also.

Also know a few 60 year olds in England who haven't gotten it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Yes I know, I was responding to someone who was talking about citywest, I was talking about the Helix. Its still good, the others will catch up, it all depends on the area/demographic etc. its still good news.

I know of people in their 30's getting it now with no medical history. I know of surgeries in Donegal, Cork and Kerry over ordered and are vaccination 30 year olds now!!!

So we will always get the rear case but in general we are motoring along and catching up the UK. We will by pass them with the 4 week pfzier also.

Also know a few 60 year olds in England who haven't gotten it.
    It's not really a rarity, under 60's have not been started in parts of the northeast. I know of people in the Ashbourne area in their early fifties who've been directed to the Helix, but others further north are still waiting. At best it's uneven, very uneven in some places and it won't level off until June.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Second dose appointment for 9.30 at the helix, in, jabbed and sitting in the waiting room by 9.33.

Phenomenal set-up.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Second dose appointment for 9.30 at the helix, in, jabbed and sitting in the waiting room by 9.33.

Phenomenal set-up.

Absolutely delighted for you hynesie08!

It's not really a rarity, under 60's have not been started in parts of the northeast. I know of people in the Ashbourne area in their early fifties who've been directed to the Helix, but others further north are still waiting. At best it's uneven, very uneven in some places and it won't level off until June.

My aunt lives in Ashbourne and got her second does last week and she is in her 60's!! Uncles in Louth in their 60's all done also!!.

It depends on your gp also. Some GP's are more proactive and better

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Reid and Donnelly have been throwing a few figures around.

On Saturday, Reid said that 1.5m first doses have been done and around 11% of people have had two.

That works out to about 38% first doses and 430k people who've had two.

Yesterday, Donnelly said we were up to about 40% first doses. So those two figures are broadly in line with the 0.8% per day average that I saw elsewhere.

So if it helps satisfy the itch for data, we should be in touching distance of 50% first doses done by the end of this week.

FWIW, as far I know most of this data is perfectly intact and available, but huge swathes of the HSE have been told not to turn their computers on until further notice. So they just can't access the locations that the data is stored. The data crunchers will probably be among the last to be brought back online.

• Advertisement

My aunt lives in Ashbourne and got her second does last week and she is in her 60's!! Uncles in Louth in their 60's all done also!!.

It depends on your gp also. Some GP's are more proactive and better
    I'm talking about the portal, not GPs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement