Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Limerick91

Irish Aris wrote: »
    Just checked mine and the first 2 points are blue.
    Not sure why it doesn't work for you.

Where do you see this information

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

1dave123 wrote: »
    @rebelbrowser

Yes - I had the same issue. No text msg received after registering. My sister (GoMo) had no issues at all.

I am on the old three network (tesco).

In the end I registered using a different phone (vodafone) and the msg came through instantly.

So it may be an issue with the three network perhaps?? .... I know I never receive Ulster Bank short code sms msgs on the three network so thats what gave me the idea to use a different phone ..... far from ideal.

Just by way of update, I pressed the resend button yet again over lunch and this time a text did arrive. Have registered now and I'm actually feeling better already. The end is nigh (in a good way though obviously)!

Seems like adding the zero or not to your number makes no difference. God knows though why they couldn't just make it clear which they want. The first page is a form with about 5 fields that probably 60% of the population are going to have to fill out. Its ridiculous to have anything unclear on such a form.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,795 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Of course if your doctor recommends something for you then your going to go on their recommendation.

However, I was purely replying to the fact that the poster was alluding to the fact that they picked the vaccine with higher efficency etc which is what I was addressing.

In that posters situation there isn't any known studies so far on that specific issue relating to any of the vaccines

Only seeing this now , sorry . Think we were addressing two different points .

Yes , agreed , there won't be any studies for a long time , if ever .
    Probably data at a much later stage , ie a few years down the line , is what I was saying .
    So really he can get no better info than his doctor in this regard .

Doctor should not be dissing the other vaccines though , you are correct, but some probably not as confident with viral vectors being used for immunocompromised patients , again ,not enough data yet .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Limerick91 wrote: »
    Where do you see this information

Since I'm registered, now I can go to the registration page and click the "already have an account" link at the bottom of the page.
    Then I use my details to login, and it shows me the status of the registration.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

• Advertisement

revelman wrote: »
    Studies have shown that the T Cell response is 2.5 times higher in AZ than Pfizer: https://www.bmj.com/content/bmj/373/bmj.n979.full.pdf

T Cell response might be the best indicator for long term immunity.

You might be right that people would pick “the Pfizer”. But we have had media in Ireland that have been harping on about efficacy rates from trial data without understanding the nuances so it is understandable that people will go for “the Pfizer”.

I don't agree as that study was done after ONE DOSE of Pfizer only as UK have pushed their 2nd dose schedule out to 10 to 12 weeks .
    Obviously after 2 doses of Pfizer as in Ireland results may be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭lastusername

MikeSoys wrote: »
    is there any indication that one is safer (long term) then another? - like maybe its safer to get a non nRNA one ..possibility that their may be side effects say in 5,10 years?

This is a discussion that is simply not happening right now, and the answer is - nobody knows. These vaccines are around a matter of months. Historically, any adverse effects show up within 6 weeks or so, but I imagine it's hard to track over a period of years anyway, unless there is widespread reporting of effects.

People are getting vaccinated now because they want to get back to normal and all the rest, but what if you wanted to wait a year to see what happens?

Personally it seems to me that they are safe all round. If mRNA simply stimulates an immune response and then is broken down by the body, the only long term effect should be for that response to activate if your system detects a spike protein. I am not sure though if that response would come into play or what effect might occur if it responded to some other stimulus later on (i.e. unrelated to coronavirus).

JPup wrote: »
    As someone who knows next to nothing about IT systems and cyber security, I am probably talking nonsense here but it seems to me that in the future IT engineers will have to design systems to be less integrated, rather than more.

Different departments within organisations will need to be silo'd with their own back-up so that if one part goes down due to a cyber attack, the rest can keep going.

All our systems in some hospitals seem to do is back up ! :pac:
    Seriously it's back to the stone age / 1980s here the last week running with paper results .

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Goldengirl wrote: »
    I don't agree as that study was done after ONE DOSE of Pfizer only as UK have pushed their 2nd dose schedule out to 10 to 12 weeks .
    Obviously after 2 doses of Pfizer as in Ireland results may be different.

It was also after one dose of AZ.

It was also after one dose of AZ.

Yes. Don't dispute that but you can't extrapolate from one vaccine given under recommended dosage schedules versus one that hasn't ,and say definitively that it makes a case for one or the other . Would be more interested to see data after both doses , maybe six months later .

• Advertisement

PMBC wrote: »
    Just registered. Had to wait 3 minutes as 900 odd were ahead of me at 10.03. Registration screen appeared at 10.06 so very short wait and completed in a few minutes; relatively easy and *seemed glitch free
    *I have a problem with my Caps lock and I think the system continued to display 'Caps lock on' when I was on lower case. However I got it eventually.

Does the portal open at 10am each day or what time does it update each day for the next age?

Yes. Don't dispute that but you can't extrapolate from one vaccine given under recommended dosage schedules versus one that hasn't ,and say definitively that it makes a case for one or the other . Would be more interested to see data after both doses , maybe six months later .

All the real world data indicates that it is better to space out Pfizer as well. We should have copied the Brits and spaced out Pfizer to 12 weeks. We’d have made much better progress.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/delay-in-giving-second-pfizer-vaccine-dose-improves-immunity-study-finds-1.4564997?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fnews%2Fhealth%2Fdelay-in-giving-second-pfizer-vaccine-dose-improves-immunity-study-finds-1.4564997

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Cole

glasso wrote: »
    Does the portal open at 10am each day or what time does it update each day for the next age?

I registered for the 49 year old group at 6am today...it was already open when I went online, so it seems to be very early.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭fiachraX

Probably worth bearing in mind that the overall Pfizer data spans a period that includes a fair duration before variants emerged. The overall J&J data largely is derived from a period in which multiple variants have been prevalent.

It's comparing apples with oranges unless you're looking at data from head to head studies in similar populations with similar virus prevalences.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 aineo

Does anyone know if the chances of clotting lessen with time? I know it's 4- 28 days, but it would be nice to know whether th e risk decreases or increases with time. I know a lot of people, over 50s, myself included, who would like to know if there is any data on this. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

The die hard pro AZ zealots on here are becoming intolerable. Constantly cherry picking data and proclaiming it a better vaccine than the mrna ones. They're almost as bad as the anti vaxxers with their lack of objectivity.

My view is that AZ i s a very solid vaccine and we are starting to see excellent real world data now, but there are still some issues with it that have rightfully given people and countries pause for thought.

Phizer has by far the preponderance of high quality data out of all the vaccines. Even way more than moderna. It's perfectly reasonable that people are preferring it over any of the others.

Disagree.
    Its all about the Tcells . As I said in my previous post the most interesting data would be of those tested after both doses.
    And later on to see effects on long lasting immunity .
    With both doses the Tcells are much the same after a few weeks of the booster whether you have your 2nd dose at one month or three.
    These studies were done in elderly patients because they want to show if it makes any difference with longterm protection in this group as they are less likely to generate long lasting immunity .
    Whatever point you are making here , it does not show that longer lasting immunity is better by stretching out the doses it shows it is not affected! .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Anecdotally, in the urban areas at least, they will be vaccinating the 50 year olds this weekend. I know a good few 50 year olds (spread across Cork, Dublin and Limerick) and they are all going to be done by Sunday at latest. That being so, it seems to me that in the urban areas they went from 57s last weekend to 50s this weekend. This seem right? If so, does it look like the 45 to 49s getting done mostly by the following weekend, i.e. by Sunday 30th?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,652 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Got my first dose yesterday, Pfizer.

Fairly sore arm today and was very tired and a tad achy after it but feel pretty good today, small lingering headache.

Have to say the whole thing was very smooth, it also hammered home the sheer scale and operations that are involved with doing this kinda of thing.

It has brought me a few steps closer to getting home to see my family.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Cole

No you can't request what vaccine you get & they aren't better. All vaccines do the same thing.

This nonsense of Pfizer is better than AZ etc etc is being disproven in real world data. The media are doing an awful hatchet job on the impact of vaccines

I'm not knowledgeable enough to contradict/debate/argue any of this...and not trying to instigate any such thing...but it does beg the question why different efficacy statistics seem to be very important in the trial result data? I appreciate that the media and manufacturers may have their own reasons for promoting/undermining certain stats, but (while always stressing 100% efficacy against serious illness) I've never heard any experts completely dismiss a 64% efficacy versus a 95% one for example....it must have some relevance?

You can understand why the general public...rightly or wrongly...would see a higher efficacy as having some relevance and if they had a choice would naturally lean towards the higher one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

aineo wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the chances of clotting lessen with time? I know it's 4- 28 days, but it would be nice to know whether th e risk decreases or increases with time. I know a lot of people, over 50s, myself included, who would like to know if there is any data on this. Thanks!

Buy a lottery ticket the same day you get the vaccine.
    Then you will at least have something to look forward to if you get a one in a million chance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Cole wrote: »
    I'm not knowledgeable enough to contradict/debate/argue any of this...and not trying to instigate any such thing...but it does beg the question why different efficacy statistics seem to be very important in the trial result data? I appreciate that the media and manufacturers may have their own reasons for promoting/undermining certain stats, but (while always stressing 100% efficacy against serious illness) I've never heard any experts completely dismiss a 64% efficacy versus a 95% one for example....it must have some relevance?

You can understand why the general public...rightly or wrongly...would see a higher efficacy as having some relevance and if they had a choice would naturally lean towards the higher one.

For about the 99th time. Look up of efficacy is calculated.

The die hard pro AZ zealots on here are becoming intolerable. Constantly cherry picking data and proclaiming it a better vaccine than the mrna ones. They're almost as bad as the anti vaxxers with their lack of objectivity.

My view is that AZ i s a very solid vaccine and we are starting to see excellent real world data now, but there are still some issues with it that have rightfully given people and countries pause for thought.

Phizer has by far the preponderance of high quality data out of all the vaccines. Even way more than moderna. It's perfectly reasonable that people are preferring it over any of the others.

Yes.
    I have no problem with any of the vaccines, once risks are known and there is a continuous flow of new data re effects and efficacy coming through, from all over the world .
    No matter what people say about them we are lucky that NIAC are independent and not going to be pushed into doing what is expedient rather than what is safe .

Obviously UK studies will be different as they have chosen their own path .
    Good luck to them and hope it continues to work for them .
    Their studies are very reliable once you factor for differing rollout and accept that reporting in their media will show some bias towards AZ and spreading the doses, because they cannot be seen to be critical now about it .
    When you read the actual research instead of the media blurb there is little between the vaccines and with further tweaks we will probably end up with much the same results in the first world with boosters and dose intervals .

(My concern would be the poorer countries with larger young or difficult to reach populations , and the risk that due to costs or inefficiencies they may end up under vaccinated with vaccine escape , and a high level endemic disease . )
    But that is a negative thought , so let's not discuss it ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 86,734 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I didn't realise you cannot get the vaccine 2nd dose if on antibiotics

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I didn't realise you cannot get the vaccine 2nd dose if on antibiotics

Usually not advised to get a vaccine if you are unwell , and antibiotics might interfere with your bodies response, and it would just make you feel xxxx.
    How long before you can go back ?

On that note , I drank the most of a bottle of something nice when I got my first dose , never even thought it might not be good idea:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Samob

Irish Aris wrote: »
    Just checked mine and the first 2 points are blue.
    Not sure why it doesn't work for you.

Thanks for that. I have a suspicion there is a problem with my registration as everyone I know who registered around the same time, or a day or two after me have got appointments or their first dose. I’ll call the HSE helpline to see if there is a problem.

I not being a “die hard AZ zealot”. I’m trying to be balanced and fair. We would not be able to get out of this pandemic if it were not for all of the major vaccines. Yet, people on these boards are commenting on AZ and J&J as if they are second-rate. All of the vaccines are excellent and the real world data is showing this.

With both doses the Tcells are much the same after a few weeks of the booster whether you have your 2nd dose at one month or three.

I’ve seen the data saying that antibodies are the same but I have not seen anything T Cells being the same after the second dose. Can you point to something? I would be interesting to see,

I’ve seen the data saying that antibodies are the same but I have not seen anything T Cells being the same after the second dose. Can you point to something? I would be interesting to see,

Its in the article you posted from the IrishTimes!
    Read to the bottom :)

The researchers then looked at another arm of the immune system, the T cells that destroy infected cells. They found that T cell responses were weaker when the booster was delayed, but settled down to similar levels when people were tested more than three months after the first shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,408 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Cole wrote: »
    I registered for the 49 year old group at 6am today...it was already open when I went online, so it seems to be very early.

How does the whole mRNA vaccine choice work? I heard on the radio that they will offer you an mRNA choice if you would prefer not to take the J&J/AZ vaccines for the 40-49 agree group. Do they ask for your choice at registration?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement