Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,643 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Cork2021 wrote: »
    Hi everyone let’s start listening to this architect that’s knows so much about Covid! What a gombeen!! You’ve the likes of Staines et all liking her tweets then!

https://twitter.com/orla_hegarty/status/1381900726214008833?s=21

Well we could have done with this focus on ventilation last year, and in the long run if it would help with respiratory infections in general. But right now main focus needs to be on vaccines.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Micky 32 wrote: »
    And he is given the platform by our state broadcaster, who some insist are not pushing a negative agenda??

• Registered Users Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

When will we know more about the revised vaccine rollout plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

And he is given the platform by our state broadcaster, who some insist are not pushing a negative agenda??

this non stop rabbling about RTE is tedious as fuck to read through, can you not go start a thread to give out about rte? its your only input here - to drab on about rte.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭sd1999

namloc1980 wrote: »
    When will we know more about the revised vaccine rollout plan?

Sometime later today, I'd imagine it'll be during the daily briefing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Hi everyone let’s start listening to this architect that’s knows so much about Covid! What a gombeen!! You’ve the likes of Staines et all liking her tweets then!

Building architecture and codes have been influenced in the past by diseases. I wouldn't be so dismissive of architects providing opinions on features of buildings in a post covid world.

Gombeen is a bit much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

That stuff about slane Castle and rugs is hilarious. I think possibly Sam McConkey has decided to start satirising himself?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Turtwig wrote: »
    Building architecture and codes have been influenced in the past by diseases. I wouldn't be so dismissive of architects providing opinions on features of buildings in a post covid world.

Gombeen is a bit much.
    Ah come off it, she's spouting ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

She doesn't have to an expert on Covid, there is 20 times more spread of Covid indoors than outdoors and ventilation is a big part of this. Better ventilation will reduce spread and it is an something that we can reasonably do.

It is ridiculous to describe her as a Gombeen.

In this thread people say things should be opened up and when people proposes measures to allow things open up then they sneer at them. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

EMA expecting to make recommendation on J&J next week. Would suspect their waiting to see what way the FDA go

https://twitter.com/EMA_News/status/1382332071750860803?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

All I got from reading through it is that I now really fancy a cheese sandwich!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Heard that in the background in work and nearly chocked on my coffee. 10,000 people at Slane, all sitting politely on picnic blankets 2 metres apart. Totally workable Sam!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Ah come off it, she's spouting ****e.

The point about ventilation is very valid, with proper ventilation systems everywhere we would hardly be in this mess we're in at the moment. It's applicable to any pathogen transmissible via aerosols or small droplets.

Hmmzis wrote: »
    The point about ventilation is very valid, with proper ventilation systems everywhere we would hardly be in this mess we're in at the moment. It's applicable to any pathogen transmissible via aerosols or small droplets.
    Ventilation isn't going to deem vaccines useless. The point of the tweet is vaccines won't stop the virus spreading. That is rapidly becoming false.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭CapriciousOne

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Ventilation isn't going to deem vaccines useless. The point of the tweet is vaccines won't stop the virus spreading. That is rapidly becoming false.

Yes, that point is bogus, not arguing about that. Just saying that the ventilation point is valid and ventilation systems should be designed with disease control in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

How does that pan out in terms of vaccines delivered going forward does anyone know?

"vaccination alone won't prevent"
    and "vaccines in parallel with" do not appear to be a tone or choice of words used if you were saying vaccines were useless.

Where has she said vaccines are useless??

To me at least you are grossly misrepresenting her position. It's a bit more nuanced than you imply. Certainly not spouting sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Turtwig wrote: »

Gombeen is a bit much.
    She has been the only prominent commentator pushing for better ventilation, which I'm sure in hindsight will have turned out to be far more important than the "2 metre" rule.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Nice to see that we'll have an updated plan so quickly.

Might be partly down to the good weather but with all the good news today I feel significantly more optimistic than I did this time yesterday :)

Stay off the journal facebook page so, it's draining over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

hmmm wrote: »
    She has been the only prominent commentator pushing for better ventilation, which I'm sure in hindsight will have turned out to be far more important than the "2 metre" rule.

Didn't read the article, but "sick building syndrome" has been known about for years, and people have regularly researched solutions to fix it.

If nothing else I hope this pandemic forces another rethink of building design. In particular hospitals, the standard ward is way too prone to cross infections.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Hmmzis wrote: »

In the context of ending covid, when we have highly effective vaccines being made in the billions, it's a bit much to take that seriously. Hindsight is great, but also claiming that the vaccines are not enough to prevent the spread of covid is borderline misinformation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

With the expected volume of just Pfizer and Moderna, anyone any idea what point we'd be moving on to group 7 and then general age groups?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

There's a fundamental problem with ventilation, in that the simple methods directly undermine energy efficiency. solutions that filter recycled air, be it UV, ozone based solutions, HEPA etc are more realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,086 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

There's a fundamental problem with ventilation, in that the simple methods directly undermine energy efficiency. solutions that filter recycled air, be it UV, ozone based solutions, HEPA etc are more realistic.

I've been told that single room MHRV is quite common in nursing homes. Works wherever you have an external wall. A higher efficiency alternative to opening a window!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Stay off the journal facebook page so, it's draining over there.

I wouldn't dream of going near it in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Thank you .

I'm in the same boat....found this article useful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

https://twitter.com/jhamacek/status/1382305021761572864
    Denmark has announced that it is suspending vaccination with AstraZeneca. I instructed the Ambassador of the Czech Republic in Copenhagen to contact the Danish authorities immediately and to announce the Czech Republic's interest in purchasing all AstraZeneca vaccines from Denmark.

Czech Republic have already made contact with Denmark in an attempt to buy their doses of AZ (if you open the tweet, you can translate it).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement