Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

We will be dosing covid vaccines for sometime to come!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Was talking to my father. He said someone on primetime said lots of people who had AstraZeneca both doses died in India with their variant. My father has had AstraZeneca so obviously was a bit put out by that comment. I don't know who it was, I'm going to guess that guy Kingstone? He's made dubious claims before. Anyway, is there any truth to that comment?

Edit- Tonight show on virgin not prime time. Sorry RTE :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Was talking to my father. He said someone on primetime said lots of people who had AstraZeneca both doses died in India with their variant. My father has had AstraZeneca so obviously was a bit put out by that comment. I don't know who it was, I'm going to guess that guy Kingstone? He's made dubious claims before. Anyway, is there any truth to that comment?

Report RTÉ to the broadcasting commission.

Some earlier concern pre variant in february that I found
    Seems to be an Indian manufacture problem
    If it is,some of that was due to be exported to the UK

https://www.aa.com.tr/en/asia-pacific/india-deaths-post-vaccine-raise-alarm-at-rights-groups/2137716

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

The AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccine is 97 per cent effective against the Indian variant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

The question is when did they get it? Any vaccine is not much use for a fortnight after you get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Just saw it on virgin media +1 on the tonight show. Disgraceful segment really.

Some utter amount of nonsense spoken about vaccines. Trying to hold up the seychelles as a worry about vaccines, failure to mention the multiple caveats mentioned on this thread and in other places regarding Seychelles.

Not sure what Kingston Mills has against AZ in particular because he's taken a hatchet to it with many inaccurate statements and basing opinion on very old data

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭penelope2012

It was on Tonight with Matt Cooper. Kingston Mills said doctors who had AZ died from the Indian varient. Was kind of relieved I had got the call today telling me to come up for my first vaccine Friday 28TH I asked and was told I am getting Phizer.
    Some earlier concern pre variant in february that I found
    Seems to be an Indian manufacture problem
    If it is,some of that was due to be exported to the UK

https://www.aa.com.tr/en/asia-pacific/india-deaths-post-vaccine-raise-alarm-at-rights-groups/2137716

A 49 year old just posted on the appointments thread that they registered this morning and received a text this evening. Appointment is for J&J.

Seems that if you want to exercise your choice for an mRNA, you have to turn up to the appointment and tell them. Surely there's a better way to manage this than wasting slots?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Flying Fox wrote: »
    A 49 year old just posted on the appointments thread that they registered this morning and received a text this evening. Appointment is for J&J.

Seems that if you want to exercise your choice for an mRNA, you have to turn up to the appointment and tell them. Surely there's a better way to manage this than wasting slots?

Or you could just take what you're being given.

• Advertisement

Degag wrote: »
    Or you could just take what you're being given.

The choice is being allowed by NIAC for people in their 40s, based on the data available.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with people making that choice for themselves.

The choice is being allowed by NIAC for people in their 40s, based on the data available.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with people making that choice for themselves.

There's not. But if that's the process in place accept it and move on.

A few weeks ago there was no choice if i remember correctly. As it should be. And if someone doesn't like it they go to the back of the queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,828 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It was on Tonight with Matt Cooper. Kingston Mills said doctors who had AZ died from the Indian varient. Was kind of relieved I had got the call today telling me to come up for my first vaccine Friday 28TH I asked and was told I am getting Phizer.

It seems Mills is talking nonsense. The Sunday Times reported at the weekend that both AZ and Pfizer are at around the same level in protecting against the Indian variant :

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/vaccines-are-nearly-as-effective-against-the-indian-variant-2rdqx5bdr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Just saw it on virgin media +1 on the tonight show. Disgraceful segment really.

Some utter amount of nonsense spoken about vaccines. Trying to hold up the seychelles as a worry about vaccines, failure to mention the multiple caveats mentioned on this thread and in other places regarding Seychelles.

Not sure what Kingston Mills has against AZ in particular because he's taken a hatchet to it with many inaccurate statements and basing opinion on very old data
    Using the Seychelles as an example of a vaccination programme is a bit like referring to Anglo Irish Bank as an exemplar of economic prudence. Why would you focus on the worst? But then again, we have been accustomed to the media's portrayal of events throughout the last 15 months. Reminds me of the study which concluded that AZ was more-or-less ineffective against the SA variant (remember that) which was quickly dismissed by everyone other than "journalists" and their celebrity "scientific compatriots".
    Have to say, I'm a bit surprised by Kingston Mills though. I didn't hear his comments tonight, but he's usually one of the more balanced contributors

There's not. But if that's the process in place accept it and move on.

A few weeks ago there was no choice if i remember correctly. As it should be. And if someone doesn't like it they go to the back of the queue.

??

The point I'm making is that having people turn up to an appointment to make that choice is counterproductive. It wastes a slot that could be used by someone else. There should be a process in place that allows people notify their choice without wasting a slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭JPup

Why would you show up in person to refuse the vaccine? Can’t you reply by text to schedule another appointment.

Also someone in the other thread pointed out that if you are born in 1971 you are considered 50 on the HSE system (open to correction there) so it may not be the case that 40 somethings are being offered Janssen just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Unfortunately, although the vaccines (including AZ) have been shown to be extremely effective, they are not 100%. So there is a very small chance that vaccinated people will still die. That is something we have to accept. However, we don't know the exact circumstances pertaining to these doctors - did they have underlying issues, was the second dose given sufficient time to prime the immune system, etc.? Very easy to pick a few isolated cases to try and undermine the vaccines. How about all the millions of people who have had the vaccine and have not died? I just don't get this constant need to downplay the vaccine by some. Not you OP.

JPup wrote: »
    Why would you show up in person to refuse the vaccine? Can’t you reply by text to schedule another appointment.

Also someone in the other thread pointed out that if you are born in 1971 you are considered 50 on the HSE system (open to correction there) so it may not be the case that 40 somethings are being offered Janssen just yet.

Rescheduling and indicating consent are two different things though. If you reschedule, you could be offered the same vaccine again. And you can't keep rescheduling repeatedly. There surely must be some mechanism for people to exercise the choice that's being offered to them.

Don't know about the HSE system thing, but from NIAC's pov I'm not sure 49 should equal 50. Anyway we'll see what kind of texts go out in the next few days.

??

The point I'm making is that having people turn up to an appointment to make that choice is counterproductive. It wastes a slot that could be used by someone else. There should be a process in place that allows people notify their choice without wasting a slot.
    Yes there should be but there’s not.

They shouldn’t be offering choice of vaccine IMO.

But they are and thats the process they have. Not ideal but it’s a fast moving business.

I would hope the vast majority of people take what they’re given when they turn up otherwise they just add to the inefficiency.

Take what your given = no problem.

Can't trust China. Saw Fauci on the *box last night saying that they didn't have/need any active virus to work off when they were making the vaccine... They got the prototype (not his words, but I can't remember what he said exactly) in the form of a structural formula graph (again, not his exact words, but it's the best way I can describe it - basically a picture :D) via computer from the Chinese...:cool: Not very "scientific" imo..... Another reason not to trust those vaccines.

*Was on BBC4 iirc in the small hours...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Rescheduling and indicating consent are two different things though. If you reschedule, you could be offered the same vaccine again. And you can't keep rescheduling repeatedly. There surely must be some mechanism for people to exercise the choice that's being offered to them.

Don't know about the HSE system thing, but from NIAC's pov I'm not sure 49 should equal 50. Anyway we'll see what kind of texts go out in the next few days.

It is possible to call the HSELive vaccine helpline. So if you do get an appointment for a vaccine you can't/don't want to take, then the best thing to do is probably to phone them and discuss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Vaccinated30

Yes there should be but there’s not.

They shouldn’t be offering choice of vaccine IMO.

But they are and thats the process they have. Not ideal but it’s a fast moving business.

I would hope the vast majority of people take what they’re given when they turn up otherwise they just add to the inefficiency.

Take what your given = no problem.

Absolutely ridiculous point.
    This is like saying someone who is entitled to claim a social welfare payment shouldn't claim what they're entitled to and be happy with what they get.

The choice is being offered to certain cohorts due to the fact that AZ and JJ do cause a life threatening blood clot. And yes I am aware its a small chance but there will be people who will refuse the vaccine and then there won't be herd immunity amongst the country. Yes all vaccines work and I have 2 doses so I Couldn't give a flying **** what the government do with the rest of the country, but the point still stands. Saying take what your given or tough ****e is not how to get out of this pandemic and the people in charge are aware of it.
    Talk risk vs benefit of the blood clot v vaccine but ignore the risk v benefit of giving the choice of vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,085 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The risk of a blood clot isn't "small", it's so miniscule as to be barely statistically significant.

Our brains can't really process the concept of a one in hundreds of thousands risk, so we just focus on the one.

Anyone who is happy to fly or drive but scared of a vaccine is an idiot. I realise I should be using warmer, more inclusive language but that's the truth.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

On news talk saying 89 didn’t turn up one day this week in drogheda. That makes me think people aren’t getting the texts. Why would you register and not respond/turn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

pc7 wrote: »
    On news talk saying 89 didn’t turn up one day this week in drogheda. That makes me think people aren’t getting the texts. Why would you register and not respond/turn up.

89 out of how many though?

Also they will have built in a no-show rate to their models so not necessarily a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭SJFly

I wonder how they decide which age cohort you are in for vaccine allocation. It could be a precise calculation based on actual date of birth, or a rough calculation based on year of birth. Or it could be based on the age cohort you declared yourself to be in when you register. We know it was possible for over 45s to register a couple of days ago if they selected the over 50 age group.
    It will be interesting to watch the rest of the 49 year old appointments. Are they being routinely offered J&J or was the previous case an anomaly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

pc7 wrote: »

My parents didn't get theirs, so it's definitely a thing. Their phone is set to block spam and robotexts, so we kind of suspect that may have been the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Vaccinated30

Lumen wrote: »
    The risk of a blood clot isn't "small", it's so miniscule as to be barely statistically significant.

Our brains can't really process the concept of a one in hundreds of thousands risk, so we just focus on the one.

Anyone who is happy to fly or drive but scared of a vaccine is an idiot. I realise I should be using warmer, more inclusive language but that's the truth.

And how many people have a fear of flying, I most certainly do, I'm 31 and never been in an aeroplane or a boat in my life. Are you going to call me an idiot?
    You are happy to get AZ, so get it. Nobody is calling you names for wanting it. So offer the same courtesy to others, who are actually doing nothing wrong except following NIAC advice which says they can choose an mrna vaccine if they want.

Perhaps you should call NIAC the idiots for giving this advice based on the Data they have.

Do they not send emails too? That would be logical since they're essentially free, and you have to verify an email address during registration.

• Advertisement

You are happy to get AZ, so get it. Nobody is calling you names for wanting it.

Can you suggest a suitable term of abuse for someone who attempts to make decisions based on objective facts? Nerd?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement