Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Flying Fox wrote: »
    Absolutely, there are huge advantages to J&J. But they are offering a choice so I'm just wondering how that's going to be managed.
    They're not offering a choice yet.

They may in the future, but they're not doing it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

astrofool wrote: »
    Just on this, the difference from a few weeks ago (and seems to be getting ignored now) is that there is a treatment that can be used if CVST occurs and ways of identifying that it has occurred, there's quite a good article here about it, during the initial cases the wrong treatment was used which makes the effects more severe:
    https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2021-04/aha-got042921.php

It's a stroke. Describing it as treatable is very misleading imo. It is technically treatable but the way people use that term seems to describe it as a simple matter. This is a bit like comparing a shaving nick to someone stabbed in the throat.
    There's been deaths from this. Despite the fact awareness of the condition is probably at the highest it's ever been.

Furthermore the cyber attack has severely impacted Ireland's health care capabilities. This is a terrible time to have an emergency for any reason.

To complicate this even more for NIAC evidence is now emerging that mix and matching vaccines is highly effective. To give people one dose of AZ is risky. To give two?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,085 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Turtwig wrote: »
    To complicate this even more for NIAC evidence is now emerging that mix and matching vaccines is highly effective. To give people one dose of AZ is risky. To give two?
    I have also read that mixing and matching vaccines increases risks of side effects.

Of course they could be both highly effective and more side-effect-y.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭Russman

seamus wrote: »

Like you, I can see the benefit of getting offered J&J, but in the spirit of the NIAC advice, if they haven't got the choice mechanism worked out yet, surely they should be going by what was reported in the media and only offering mRNA vaccines to the 45-49s until the "choice" mechanism is up an running ?

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

It's very frustrating seeing all the posts about cancelling appointments in hope of getting a different vaccine. It absolutely has to be slowing down the vaccine roll out.

I am not blaming those who are cancelling them, but there has to be a better way of organising it.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »

The NIAC advice was received last week and widely reported.

If the HSE is now firing ahead with the 40s and not facilitating a choice, they are going against that advice. I'd be surprised if that's the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The NIAC advice was received last week and widely reported.

If the HSE is now firing ahead with the 40s and not facilitating a choice, they are going against that advice. I'd be surprised if that's the case.
    The choice is on the patient end and they can reschedule or make that choice. The use of AZ and J&J is an only if and that seems to be the case in some centres now.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭lastusername

What will the picture look like say early next year for vaccines do people reckon? Will it be the case that if you haven't had one you can book with your GP or at a clinic if you opt for one then?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,085 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

What will the picture look like say early next year for vaccines do people reckon? Will it be the case that if you haven't had one you can book with your GP or at a clinic if you opt for one then?

We are currently vaccinating at about 3x the rate required to give everyone in the country one dose per year, and we don't need all that capacity in the future. The MVCs will return to their normal uses.

I'd guess pharmacies most likely, assuming progress with keeping mRNA vaccines at normal fridge temperatures (the EU recently approved storage of unopened vials at 4C for up to 31 days). Presumably with some kind of booking system to ensure that all doses get used.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭lastusername

Lumen wrote: »
    We are currently vaccinating at about 3x the rate required to give everyone in the country one dose per year, and we don't need all that capacity in the future. The MVCs will return to their normal uses.

I'd guess pharmacies most likely, assuming progress with keeping mRNA vaccines at normal fridge temperatures (the EU recently approved storage of unopened vials at 4C for up to 31 days). Presumably with some kind of booking system to ensure that all doses get used.

Yeah that makes sense, didn't think of the pharmacies so I imagine that's how it'll work. There'll be no shortage anyway, especially with Pfizer moving to make the mRNA component in Dublin soon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

It's very frustrating seeing all the posts about cancelling appointments in hope of getting a different vaccine. It absolutely has to be slowing down the vaccine roll out.

I am not blaming those who are cancelling them, but there has to be a better way of organising it.

I’ve heard so many anecdotal reports of this happening. Really concerning - this has to be slowing things down. What is worse, I’ve heard of cases where people are not rescheduling or cancelling, they are just not turning up when they hear they are not getting “the Pfizer”. I would

- keep remaining AZ for second doses
    - use MVCs for Pfizer and Moderna
    - give J&J to pharmacies (and maybe GPs) allowing people to roll up and get the one shot vaccine

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

revelman wrote: »
    I’ve heard so many anecdotal reports of this happening. Really concerning - this has to be slowing things down. What is worse, I’ve heard of cases where people are not rescheduling or cancelling, they are just not turning up when they hear they are not getting “the Pfizer”. I would

- give J&J to pharmacies (and maybe GPs) allowing people to roll up and get the one shot vaccine

Completely a situation of our own making. We've let this weird arms race between vaccines take place, to the point where the credibility of AZ in particular is really damaged.

They are all incredibly effective vaccines and the way this has been managed (particularly by our media) has been disgraceful tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭pawdee

Quick question there if anyone can help. I'm 52 and got my first Pfizer jab yesterday within a week of registering. My partner is 45 (Feb 76) and yesterday morning I saw online where 45 to 49 yr old could register. She was busy so I registered for her online. Now she thinks I shouldn't have and that she should have waited until Sunday.

Sure enough, next time I looked it was showing that 49 to 60s or something like that. I'm 99.9% sure I saw an invitation to register 45+ yesterday morning. Have I messed up / delayed it for her? It showed a little flow chart to say she was registered but I can't find it to check it again. Sorry for the rambling "quick" question!

BTW....She gave me permission to register her!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭Russman

BigMo1 wrote: »
    Completely a situation of our own making. We've let this weird arms race between vaccines take place, to the point where the credibility of AZ in particular is really damaged.

They are all incredibly effective vaccines and the way this has been managed (particularly by our media) has been disgraceful tbh.

Precisely this. Although AZ haven't really helped their credibility at the same time.

IMO they've understandably fallen victim to the modern thing of people wanting every bit of information even if they don't understand it, and if they don't get it, there'll be a "lack of transparency" or some such sh1te. The HSE, by putting the phase three trial efficacy numbers on their website have, however unintentionally, encouraged people to compare the vaccines. They all work and in all probability they'll all work much the same in a real world setting considering they all make the body generate the same spike protein (that right there is the sum total of my knowledge).

Does anyone ever ask who manufactures the flu jab they get each year ? Didn't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

pawdee wrote: »
    Quick question there if anyone can help. I'm 52 and got my first Pfizer jab yesterday within a week of registering. My partner is 45 (Feb 76) and yesterday morning I saw online where 45 to 49 yr old could register. She was busy so I registered for her online. Now she thinks I shouldn't have and that she should have waited until Sunday.

Sure enough, next time I looked it was showing that 49 to 60s or something like that. I'm 99.9% sure I saw an invitation to register 45+ yesterday morning. Have I messed up / delayed it for her? It showed a little flow chart to say she was registered but I can't find it to check it again. Sorry for the rambling "quick" question!

The HSE ask that people only register on specific days to help us manage the demand.
    Registration for people aged 45 to 69

The latest group that can register to get a COVID-19 vaccine are people aged 45 to 49.

If you are aged:

48 – register on Thursday 20 May, or any time after
    47 – register on Friday 21 May, or any time after
    46 – register on Saturday 22 May, or any time after
    45 – register on Sunday 23 May, or any time after

Registering earlier than advised will not get anyone an earlier appointment and is of no advantage.

That said if you have registered her - she's in the system - and an appointment will be issued in line with her age group within the next 3 weeks.

To check go the HSE login page. At the bottom is - "Login here if you already have an account"

Click on that, fill in login details and check for any updates

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Many people here called out these issues when the hard decision to vaccinate over 50's and over 40's concurrently to facilitate the NIAC advice was not taken.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Its grand I registered @ 11.15 pm the other night (Im 46) - all went through alright for me and Im showing "awaiting appointment when I log back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,793 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Mammy and the GF have their appointments confirmed for their second dose. Monday at Parc Uí Chaoimh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No, don't worry about it. The system is automated, so nobody is going to kick her to the back of the queue for registering early.

My understanding is that the system won't start allocating the 45s to appointments until Sunday at the earliest, so you haven't bumped her up or down the list by registering early.

They just invite each age to register on separate days in order to avoid massive queues on the system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

RTE reporting that 65,000 vaccinations were done over two days on Monday and Tuesday this week. Seem like good numbers for Monday and Tuesday!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

RTE reporting that 65,000 vaccinations were done over two days on Monday and Tuesday this week. Seem like good numbers for Monday and Tuesday!

Through vaccination centres alone. RTE are so incoherent sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭josip

I've bolded the most important part of your post.
    So the facts of the matter aren't really relevant any more pawdee :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Absolutely ridiculous point.
    This is like saying someone who is entitled to claim a social welfare payment shouldn't claim what they're entitled to and be happy with what they get.

The choice is being offered to certain cohorts due to the fact that AZ and JJ do cause a life threatening blood clot. And yes I am aware its a small chance but there will be people who will refuse the vaccine and then there won't be herd immunity amongst the country. Yes all vaccines work and I have 2 doses so I Couldn't give a flying **** what the government do with the rest of the country, but the point still stands. Saying take what your given or tough ****e is not how to get out of this pandemic and the people in charge are aware of it.
    Talk risk vs benefit of the blood clot v vaccine but ignore the risk v benefit of giving the choice of vaccine.

That’s a ridiculous analogy you gave.

And take what your given or tough ****e is exactly how we get out of this as the more people vaccinated the better. Instead of causing delays and inefficiencies by faffing around refusing some.

There is extremely low risk regardless of which vaccine you are given, so just take it

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Registered on the 13th, no appointment in South Dublin yet though, anyone of the 51 year old progressed yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

My mother is 60. She registered two weeks ago and still no word of an appointment.

NufcNavan wrote: »
    My mother is 60. She registered two weeks ago and still no word of an appointment.

Try checking the portal. Some people aren't receiving text messages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭chewed

Try checking the portal. Some people aren't receiving text messages.

Is this the portal? https://vaccine3.hse.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭tucker1971

registered on saturday. got text yesterday. Pfzier today at local clinic.
    49 yr old

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

HSE site won't recognise my Eircode (tried entering it with and without the space and or caps), nor will manually entering my address work, as it keeps telling me to complete each line (which I have).

Anyone else have that issue?

Try O and 0, they’re the same normally but it was only recognising a 0 for me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement