Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I wouldn't dream of going near it in the first place.

I don't go near their site let alone their facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭hynesie08

If denmark were to sell their AZ, Is it open market or would we be hindered by population.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    If denmark were to sell their AZ, Is it open market or would we be hindered by population.

Up to the Danes really, they could sell to a few or if 1 country wants them sell to them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Micky 32 wrote: »

This is hilarious. I've previously defended the scientists on this, but if Sam McConkey thinks I am going to sit in a bubble for 3-5 years, he can do one!

I've no problem taking precautions at the moment in the interest of the common good, but once everyone who wants a vaccine has got one, its up to everybody to make up their own minds after that if they want to live in Sam's Town for 3-5 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭eoinbn

We won't get through our own supply so why buy more?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Russman

Would our age restriction on AZ not mean we wouldn't need to buy any additional though ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

rm212 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/jhamacek/status/1382305021761572864

Czech Republic have already made contact with Denmark in an attempt to buy their doses of AZ (if you open the tweet, you can translate it).

Somewhere with widespread Covid and still a lot of older people to do should use these doses. It is less important for Ireland to get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Great news about Pfizer. You never know, they might even further increase vaccine doses for this quarter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

In the context of ending covid, when we have highly effective vaccines being made in the billions, it's a bit much to take that seriously. Hindsight is great, but also claiming that the vaccines are not enough to prevent the spread of covid is borderline misinformation.

Not arguing that point at all, vaccines have shown to be exceptionally effective against this virus and with enough people vaccinated should no doubt drive the prevalence of it down to trivial levels.

On the point of ventilation, it has been talked about quite a bit in context of SARS-cov-2 and other airborne pathogens and it's something that can very much make new outbreaks of existing and new pathogens much less concerning. Your point in your other comment about air filtration and UV(C) usage is spot on in this context. The more of that is used in buildings the less airborne pathogens can be spread. It's a much longer term endeavor to get all publicly accessible buildings regulated that way, the cost isn't exactly trivial either. For private dwellings that an even bigger ask to have.

Btw. we are getting a bit off topic here I think, maybe a different thread would be more suitable for this discussion.

• Advertisement

For those who dont believe Russia are using the vaccine as a propaganda tool
    "A comprehensive analysis of adverse events during clinical trials and over the course of mass vaccinations with the Sputnik V vaccine showed that there were no cases of cerebral venous sinus thrombosis," it said in a statement.

The Gamaleya institute said it was "ready to share its purification technology with other vaccine producers in order to help them minimise the risk of adverse effects during vaccination."

Its nothing to do with purification. The immune response to the viral vector is what causes issues. Its been known about with viral vectors for years - the rate that it occurs at is what varies

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Gotta admire their sh1thousery!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,643 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Hmmzis wrote: »
    On the point of ventilation... Btw. we are getting a bit off topic here I think, maybe a different thread would be more suitable for this discussion.

There was one:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=114040580

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

HSE have asked NIAC to clarify their advise.

In particular surrounding the below. Whereby if the benefits outweigh the risks and the person has made an informed decision. i.e has consented knowing the risk.
    https://twitter.com/JackHoJo/status/1382358494989402113?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Hmmzis wrote: »
    Not arguing that point at all, vaccines have shown to be exceptionally effective against this virus and with enough people vaccinated should no doubt drive the prevalence of it down to trivial levels.

On the point of ventilation, it has been talked about quite a bit in context of SARS-cov-2 and other airborne pathogens and it's something that can very much make new outbreaks of existing and new pathogens much less concerning. Your point in your other comment about air filtration and UV(C) usage is spot on in this context. The more of that is used in buildings the less airborne pathogens can be spread. It's a much longer term endeavor to get all publicly accessible buildings regulated that way, the cost isn't exactly trivial either. For private dwellings that an even bigger ask to have.

Btw. we are getting a bit off topic here I think, maybe a different thread would be more suitable for this discussion.

Yep, my criticism was of the architect and the BBC article. Agree 100% with what you've said, I'll leave it there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,839 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

In particular surrounding the below. Whereby if the benefits outweigh the risks and the person has made an informed decision. i.e has consented knowing the risk.

You would have thought this was a no brainer - if people under the age of 60 are fine with receiving AZ despite knowing the 'risks', then why not give it to them?

What would happen if you do not consent, back of the queue?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

I think in this case it would be for under 60s to move further up the queue, if there was a surplus of AZ vaccine and no over 60s available to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Interesting to see how NIAC reply to that ask for clarification.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Interesting to see how NIAC reply to that ask for clarification.

Lorraine Nolan will just send a stern-faced selfie back

• Advertisement

No, I imagine you could register your interest in an Astrazeneca vaccine, probably when registering on the portal. The benefit being that you would get a vaccine quicker. Otherwise you get a different vaccine at the time you're due. They couldn't offer only Astrazeneca to an under 60 and then penalise them for not taking it, not while they're following NIAC advice.

Personally I wouldn't put myself forward for AZ and would get one of the others when I'm due. But I see no reason why others who are willing to accept AZ shouldn't be able to put themselves forward for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,652 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Screenshot-2020-11-20-RTE-Ireland-s-National-Television-and-Radio-Broadcaster.jpg

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115357824&postcount=9650

Took this scrolling screenshot on the morning of the 20th of November about RTÉ burying good news. The good news is more than halfway down the page, *well* below the fold. What's front and center? A hospital outbreak story, not the article with the good news about a 90% drop in fatality from the second wave. RTÉ is, and have always been, shítty.

Anyway, last I'm saying because it's gonna derail the thread.

As a digital designer, hearing about "the fold" hurts my face. There is no such thing.

Anyway, I live in Canada, seeing the good news back home is all I need these days. Knowing my folks and friends will be covered brings me a huge amount of relief and happiness.

Canada is headed in the wrong direction at the minute, so I just have to sit tight and wait...and hope.

As for now, anyone who posts in here and lives at home, I am delighted for you all. Get the vaccine, have the pints and laughs, and I will see you at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

I don't think that selling them on the "open market" will be approved by the EU. After all it's the EU that has signed the contracts, not the individual states. I guess they could sell whatever they have in their fridges at the moment, but then I would expect the EU to step in and just stop deliveries there.
    My best guess would be that either they redistribute them fairly among the other countries (so population) or they're just gifted to COVAX.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

As a digital designer, hearing about "the fold" hurts my face. There is no such thing.

Anyway, I live in Canada, seeing the good news back home is all I need these days. Knowing my folks and friends will be covered brings me a huge amount of relief and happiness.

Canada is headed in the wrong direction at the minute, so I just have to sit tight and wait...and hope.

As for now, anyone who posts in here and lives at home, I am delighted for you all. Get the vaccine, have the pints and laughs, and I will see you at some point.

As someone with past experience in that area, it hurt to type, trust me :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

I'm enjoying the silence on where this leaves healthcare workers in the interim who are waiting on their second doses or a decision to vaccinate using a different platform. I think its fairly reasonable to say they are at substantially higher risk of contracting the virus vs the general population and now a huge cohort (myself included) are being left in the lurch.

Paul Reid is on the record saying any healthcare worker who refuses the vaccine could be removed from their post under the Safety, Health and Welfare at Work Act 2005. NIAC could easily throw a spanner in the works here with their reply. Legally, for consent to be valid and genuine it has to be free of coercion or undue influence. I would argue that Paul Reids "threat" militates that notion outright.

"Risk taking the vaccine with the clot or loose your job".

For the record, I want to be very clear: I am awaiting my second dose of AZ and as things currently stand I absolutely want my second dose of it. Clot or not. I'm just interested in the medicolegal discussion thats going to crop up very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,652 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

funnydoggy wrote: »
    As someone with past experience in that area, it hurt to type, trust me :pac:

Amen brother!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Donnelly on Newstalk now saying we’re still on track for the 80% with first dose by June even without J&J

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

muddypuppy wrote: »
    I don't think that selling them on the "open market" will be approved by the EU. After all it's the EU that has signed the contracts, not the individual states. I guess they could sell whatever they have in their fridges at the moment, but then I would expect the EU to step in and just stop deliveries there.
    My best guess would be that either they redistribute them fairly among the other countries (so population) or they're just gifted to COVAX.

with one less country taking from the AZ vaccine pool you'd presume that other countries will just get proportionally more. Theres no need for new contracts as what countries were looking for isnt remotely being fulfilled ás it is and a percentage or 2 more vaccines still leaves everyone short.

As for comments above that the likes of Germany will follow suit with AZ cancellations, that will not happen.

Germany has 83million to vaccinate, thats a heck of a lot of people, and its one of the oldest populations in the world so plenty of >60s (or >50s) still waiting on a jab.
    FFS, they are looking to order Sputnik to try and speed things along, and as much as AZ were slop shod about their testing, the russians wont even provide the original data on side effects !!

There was a batch of 450k vaccines in the Cologne / Dusseldorf area released last saturday week ago (from cancelled appointments for the <60s, like is happening in Ireland now) and the demand to sign up was so great that the system kept crashing, all day long. The reluctance to use the AZ vaccine is greatly overstated. People know they have a miniscule chance of a serious side effect and a much much higher possiblity of death or serious illness by catching covid.

• Advertisement

When the portal opens tomorrow for registration it'll be open for 69 year olds, then 68 Friday and so on, 65 year olds by Monday.

Appointments according to Donnelly on newstalk will follow beginning middle of next week

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement