Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Must be close to hitting 50%

CEO Paul Reid said yesterday that the HSE cannot collate the number of vaccines carried out by GPs in the past seven days but that it has been an “extremely positive week” for the vaccination programme.

Excluding GP vaccinations from the past week, he said that, up to Wednesday, 43% of the adult population have received one dose with 15% fully vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Update kinda.

I ended getting through to my GP receptionist. I am registered in cohort 7 and should have an appointment in the next week or two. She didn't really instill confidence. Felt like I was been fobbed off tbh!

Rang the consultant receptionist. They are only vaccinating patients on a specific medication which I don't take.

Time to play the waiting game!

Update again. Finally got a date. 12th June. Helix.

Cohort 7. 30 yo

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

Hey folks, bit of advice required- I've registered on the portal (47 yr old) as I was hoping to get a viral vector vaccine instead of mRNA- bucking the trend I know!
    Is it now the case that 45-49 yr olds are not being offered J&J or AZ as was announced last week?

I suffer from an autoimmune disease (Thyroid issues) and am concerned at the lack of information available on the effects of mRNA vaccines on these conditions. Doc has been no help either. Have been searching online and have found little but what I have found has brought me to the conclusion of preferring the viral vector. Has anybody else come across any info on these issues?

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭larchielads

Hey folks, bit of advice required- I've registered on the portal (47 yr old) as I was hoping to get a viral vector vaccine instead of mRNA- bucking the trend I know!
    Is it now the case that 45-49 yr olds are not being offered J&J or AZ as was announced last week?

I suffer from an autoimmune disease (Thyroid issues) and am concerned at the lack of information available on the effects of mRNA vaccines on these conditions. Doc has been no help either. Have been searching online and have found little but what I have found has brought me to the conclusion of preferring the viral vector. Has anybody else come across any info on these issues?
    My mates in the 45-49 group and he got text from hse that hes gettin the j&j this week, today actually in waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

When do we expect to see appointments for the 49 years at MVCs starting to be sent out? Thought it might start today given some centres look like they will finish the 50s by Sunday evening...

Very quickly I would imagine - they'll probably start getting texts from Monday onward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ScottSF

https://www.euronews.com/2021/05/20/deal-reached-to-introduce-an-eu-wide-covid-travel-pass

A single dose of an EMA approved vaccine will be sufficient for the EU green travel pass. Hopefully this news will help people hesitant to take the AZ vaccine.

Did they change this article? I just read it and it does not specifically say that one dose of AZ vaccine is acceptable for the EU Digital Green Certificate.
    It will be up to member states to decide if one or two doses are enough to obtain the pass. The European Commission is urging countries to find a harmonised approach in this regard to avoid fragmentation. The pass will show the vaccine brand, the date of inoculation and the number of doses.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

ScottSF wrote: »
    Did they change this article? I just read it and it does not specifically say that one dose of AZ vaccine is acceptable for the EU Digital Green Certificate.

Given that they will allow even unvaccinated EU citizens travel freely (with a test), it seems hard to imagine they would discriminate against people who have had only one vaccine dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

eoinbn wrote: »
    Was that confirmed that we opted out of the extra 80m? I did see reports from other countries suggesting we did. If it is true then heads should roll...
    People could still be waiting for a first dose come September. If that happens and we turned down 880k vaccines then there will be uproar.

I'm just going by news reports, I haven't heard anything from the government either way. It's possible back in Feb we opted in to the additional 300mil moderna order (due to AZ delays), but it's only mentioned delivery will be half in 2021 and half in 2022. So could be Q4 for that one (it can still be used once they apply for approval in kids)

But yeah if we don't see any or very little moderna in Q3, it was a bad decision on the governments part.
    I'm not even sure what vaccines are expected to be delivered to Ireland in Q3.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

I’d say it’s a bit of a lottery. For instance second doses of AZ will be happening from next week for health care workers and then Cohort 4 who got it. If spots are available, they will go through the portal and add more. So if they don’t have anymore 50+ they will choose from the 45-50 range. The same would be true if the MVC has open spots with J&J.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Had my 1st and 2nd Pfizer jab absoulately no side effects of any kind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Strazdas wrote: »
    Very quickly I would imagine - they'll probably start getting texts from Monday onward.

I'm thinking quicker than that. I can see the vaccinations starting on Mon or Tue in some places. Time will tell I suppose....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Are there any accurate figures for the number of vaccines administered or even best guesstimates?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

I'm thinking quicker than that. I can see the vaccinations starting on Mon or Tue in some places. Time will tell I suppose....

I'd love for you to be correct !!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,557 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

My housemate registered through the portal today, he's a chef and is 47. When he clicked the link to confirm his email it asked for a verification code. How long should he have to wait to receive the code, does he get it through text or email?

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭muckisluck

ScottSF wrote: »
    yes it seems they have changed it since I read it this morning when it said one dose of any recognised vaccine would be sufficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

My housemate registered through the portal today, he's a chef and is 47. When he clicked the link to confirm his email it asked for a verification code. How long should he have to wait to receive the code, does he get it through text or email?

It should be immediate but for me that didn't happen. I kept requesting codes throughout the day and eventually one arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,951 ✭✭✭duffman13

Do NPHET work about a week behind the UK? That press conference feels very similar to the one in the UK last week saying, things are going well but transmisiability of the Indian Variant may be 50% higher.

This was rolled back early this week in the UK yet Tony is presenting it today as a real area of concern

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

It should be immediate but for me that didn't happen. I kept requesting codes throughout the day and eventually one arrived.

Yes, indeed, it can take a few goes, their web text interface aint the best but its not the worst either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

duffman13 wrote: »
    Do NPHET work about a week behind the UK? That press conference feels very similar to the one in the UK last week saying, things are going well but transmisiability of the Indian Variant may be 50% higher.

This was rolled back early this week in the UK yet Tony is presenting it today as a real area of concern

NPHET only do one press conference per week now on a Friday as far as I know. He's doing it for Ireland not the UK so he's not going to avoid it just because the UK spoke about it earlier this week at their press conference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

J&J delivering weekly instead of bi-weekly now (going by the Belgium deliveries)? That'd be better at least even though they are a long way behind.

https://covid-vaccinatie.be/en/doses-delivered

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

J&J delivering weekly instead of bi-weekly now (going by the Belgium deliveries)? That'd be better at least even though they are a long way behind.

https://covid-vaccinatie.be/en/doses-delivered

I think you are our resident J&J expert! When I saw you had posted, I knew it would be about J&J! Thanks for the update!

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    NPHET only do one press conference per week now on a Friday as far as I know. He's doing it for Ireland not the UK so he's not going to avoid it just because the UK spoke about it earlier this week at their press conference.

I get that and understand its a topic however it was a UK estimate about its tranmisability that he was speaking about which has since been rolled back on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I give up, it’s just never ending . Apparently a report will be released to show vaccine less effective, we’re never going to get out of restrictions :mad:

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0521/1223091-covid-figures-update/

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I give up, it’s just never ending . Apparently a report will be released to show vaccine less effective, we’re never going to get out of restrictions :mad:

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0521/1223091-covid-figures-update/

Read past the headline, I know it's tough but although any variant is concerning I'd not be overly concerned. It's caveated with the notice that's its after one vaccine dose. That one vaccine dose is predominantly AZ which is still 75% effective against the variant. AZ was in around that ballpark in trials against the original variant and we were all delighted. Don't lose the optimism.

The message will be, make sure you get your 2nd dose.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Decrease in effectiveness in preventing transmission.

Preventing hospitalisations and deaths is the primary function of the vaccine. Reducing transmission is a bonus.

I'm not panicking too much.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭freida

Anyone know the timeline between moderna shots? Are people getting second vaccinations or is it being pushed out like AZ

freida wrote: »
    Anyone know the timeline between moderna shots? Are people getting second vaccinations or is it being pushed out like AZ

Still 4 weeks

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Decrease in effectiveness in preventing transmission.

Preventing hospitalisations and deaths is primary function of the vaccine. Reducing transmission is a bonus.

I'm not panicking too much.

However there’s talk of delaying of opening up.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    However there’s talk of delaying of opening up.

Not at that press conference there wasnt

• Advertisement

duffman13 wrote: »
    Not at that press conference there wasnt

No but Holohan has mentioned it:

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40295255.html%3ftype=amp

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement