Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Round and round on the variant merry-go-round we go :pac:

Lads, I don't mean to be dismissive of the variants, as they are genuine cause for concern and monitoring, but we've been here before, multiple times. With the same outcome. It plays out something like this: new variant discovered - hyperbolic headlines ensue - public health expert opinions - public anxiety and hysteria follows - data emerges that vaccines work - variant talk quells - new variant discovered - repeat.

Variants should be something the scientific community monitor and discuss, it should not be a topic of conversation for the general public IMO. However, the media in their collective efforts to rage against the dying of the light, have created this obsession. We know all current vaccines work against all known variants - even the WHO have said so. Pfizer have said they will not be tweaking their vaccine to counteract variants. Time to let this obsession go from the public discourse.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Round and round on the variant merry-go-round we go :pac:

Lads, I don't mean to be dismissive of the variants, as they are genuine cause for concern and monitoring, but we've been here before, multiple times. With the same outcome. It plays out something like this: new variant discovered - hyperbolic headlines ensue - public health expert opinions - public anxiety and hysteria follows - data emerges that vaccines work - variant talk quells - new variant discovered - repeat.

Variants should be something the scientific community monitor and discuss, it should not be a topic of conversation for the general public IMO. However, the media in their collective efforts to rage against the dying of the light, have created this obsession. We know all current vaccines work against all known variants - even the WHO have said so. Pfizer have said they will not be tweaking their vaccine to counteract variants. Time to let this obsession go from the public discourse.

This is it in a nutshell.

Remember in January when Matt Hancock was quoted on some webinar saying there was "early evidence" that the South Africa variant basically rendered the vaccines useless? Yet today we never hear about the SA variant.

Same story with the Brazil one. Remember when NPHET said we had 25 cases of it here and people lost their minds? Yet we've barely heard about it since.

Remember the Bristol variant? I assume most don't but there was a significant amount of hysteria about that in January too.

Etc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,225 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

JP100 wrote: »
    Do not bother getting the vaccine as it may not work against variants or different strains.

....That is in a nutshell the kind of message that Tony Holohan is sending out in his latest doomsday pronouncements today and predictably lapped up by RTE.

Unless you're challenged in some way, that is not the kind of message he's sending out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mark1916

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

Might even exceed that because of the big AZ shipment due next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭xboxdad

Mark1916 wrote: »

"to make its experimental COVID-19 vaccine"

Experimental?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

xboxdad wrote: »
    "to make its experimental COVID-19 vaccine"

Experimental?

It hasn’t been approved therefore it is experimental

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

This is it in a nutshell.

Remember in January when Matt Hancock was quoted on some webinar saying there was "early evidence" that the South Africa variant basically rendered the vaccines useless? Yet today we never hear about the SA variant.

Same story with the Brazil one. Remember when NPHET said we had 25 cases of it here and people lost their minds? Yet we've barely heard about it since.

Remember the Bristol variant? I assume most don't but there was a significant amount of hysteria about that in January too.

Etc
    Yep, like the British variant Hancock was going on about last November.

Oh wait.......

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭xboxdad

It hasn’t been approved therefore it is experimental

So then what's so special about it?
    There are dozens of vaccines in development I reckon.No other upcoming mRNA one?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Yep, like the British variant Hancock was going on about last November.

Oh wait.......

I was clearly talking about the "vaccine evasion" ones.

But thanks for your contribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

xboxdad wrote: »
    So then what's so special about it?
    There are dozens of vaccines in development I reckon.No other upcoming mRNA one?

As I understand it, Curevac have two mRNA vaccines coming

CVnCoV - 1st gen, in late-stage clininal testing (phase 3) for delivery in 2021
    CV2CoV - 2st gen, pre-clinical

Press release from Curevac on CV2CoV:

https://www.curevac.com/en/2021/05/13/second-generation-covid-19-vaccine-candidate-cv2cov-demonstrates-high-immunogenicity-against-virus-variants-in-preclinical-study/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,089 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I’ll report back if anything happens. My partner is on her third day and feels fine but she did say she felt like she had a glass of wine after the jab that lasted for about an hour.

Felt like that too ...probably because I did :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Oh what id do for getting the daily vaccine figures.....

JP100 wrote: »
    Do not bother getting the vaccine as it may not work against .... ( long gap deleted )
    That is in a nutshell the kind of message that Tony Holohan is sending out in his latest doomsday pronouncements today and predictably lapped up by RTE.

Mind the gap...fixed it for you .
    That is in reality the opposite of what he said.
    I think you just got lost in some alternate universe in that long gap in your post,

duffman13 wrote: »
    Read past the headline, I know it's tough but although any variant is concerning I'd not be overly concerned. It's caveated with the notice that's its after one vaccine dose. That one vaccine dose is predominantly AZ which is still 75% effective against the variant. AZ was in around that ballpark in trials against the original variant and we were all delighted. Don't lose the optimism.

The message will be, make sure you get your 2nd dose.

Exactly .
    They are only flagging it because we are behind the UK in terms of vaccinations , but not thankfully 2nd doses as much .

2 doses full protection.

Heard UK are bringing forward their spaced out Pfizer doses to 8week interval because of this dip in protection at 10 weeks on the data .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Update on getting Pfizer.

Sore arm for a few days and I was tired, no pain or aches etc.

Grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Felt like that too ...probably because I did :D

Same as meself :D, sure one could not celebrate :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Taoiseach says 270k Pfizer doses to arrive in one batch in early June.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Has anyone reschedule a appointment and got a rebook at a different centre, my local vaccine centre is 10 minutes away but getting a booking for one a hour and half away, was told by call centre just to rebook until your local one comes up.

Heard some Cork MVCs are starting 49 y/o this Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

Heard some Cork MVCs are starting 49 y/o this Sunday.

49.. appointment in Cork City Hall on Sunday for Pfizer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

revelman wrote: »
    Taoiseach says 270k Pfizer doses to arrive in one batch in early June.

I know without updated vaccine figures it's hard to work out, but how likely are we to have 80% of adults offered a first dose of a vaccine by the end of June? I suppose if during the last week of June, people get appointments up to the first week into July, it's within the target I feel.

Wolf359f wrote: »
    I know without updated vaccine figures it's hard to work out, but how likely are we to have 80% of adults offered a first dose of a vaccine by the end of June? I suppose if during the last week of June, people get appointments up to the first week into July, it's within the target I feel.

They reckon its 290 to 300, 000 a week now being done between GPs and MVCs .
    So going by that how many should be left to do after the next 5 weeks ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

It was 43% on Wednesday. Will hit 50% soon. So pretty much a month to do 30%. I saw before that the Adult population is 3.6 million. 36,000 is 1%. Should be possible based off of that. Although in saying that you'd want around 252k first doses per week so will be difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

I was clearly talking about the "vaccine evasion" ones.

But thanks for your contribution.

You are welcome.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    It was 43% on Wednesday. Will hit 50% soon. So pretty much a month to do 30%. I saw before that the Adult population is 3.6 million. 36,000 is 1%. Should be possible based off of that.

Yes but there's quite a few second doses due before June! Anyone who received only their first dose of Pfizer or Moderna up to the end of this month will need their second jab before the end of June. Without the updated vaccine breakdown, it's nearly impossible to know I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Yes but there's quite a few second doses due before June! Anyone who received only their first dose of Pfizer or Moderna up to the end of this month will need their second jab before the end of June. Without the updated vaccine breakdown, it's nearly impossible to know I guess

Yes I did edit to include. Although in saying that you'd want around 252k first doses per week so will be difficult. Hard to know. Its going fast now at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    It was 43% on Wednesday. Will hit 50% soon. So pretty much a month to do 30%. I saw before that the Adult population is 3.6 million. 36,000 is 1%. Should be possible based off of that. Although in saying that you'd want around 252k first doses per week so will be difficult.

3.9m is what I read, but Donnelly is saying 1.6m=43% which would make 100% 3.7m and 80% 3m.

3m-1.6m=1.4m first doses to hit 80%. 40 days = 35k/day, 245k first doses/week.

It ought to be possible, but I don't know how many second doses are due in that period.

There was some excellent modelling posted from Twitter threads a couple of weeks ago but I can't find it now.

The "offered" thing means that even if we end up with hundreds of thousands of doses of Janssen at the end of June they can still be counted as "offered" as long as the texts go out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement