Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

with one less country taking from the AZ vaccine pool you'd presume that other countries will just get proportionally more. Theres no need for new contracts as what countries were looking for isnt remotely being fulfilled ás it is and a percentage or 2 more vaccines still leaves everyone short.

As for comments above that the likes of Germany will follow suit with AZ cancellations, that will not happen.

Germany has 83million to vaccinate, thats a heck of a lot of people, and its one of the oldest populations in the world so plenty of >60s (or >50s) still waiting on a jab.
    FFS, they are looking to order Sputnik to try and speed things along, and as much as AZ were slop shod about their testing, the russians wont even provide the original data on side effects !!

There was a batch of 450k vaccines in the Cologne / Dusseldorf area released last saturday week ago (from cancelled appointments for the <60s, like is happening in Ireland now) and the demand to sign up was so great that the system kept crashing, all day long. The reluctance to use the AZ vaccine is greatly overstated. People know they have a miniscule chance of a serious side effect and a much much higher possiblity of death or serious illness by catching covid.

Where can I find more info on the vaccine registration portal (for the man)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

When the portal opens tomorrow for registration it'll be open for 69 year olds, then 68 Friday and so on, 65 year olds by Monday.

Appointments according to Donnelly on newstalk will follow beginning middle of next week
    So happy !! It’s probably AZ but I will take whatever is on offer !!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

When the portal opens tomorrow for registration it'll be open for 69 year olds, then 68 Friday and so on, 65 year olds by Monday.

Appointments according to Donnelly on newstalk will follow beginning middle of next week

More details on the above.

Opens 10am tomorrow morning. There will also be a phone line

https://twitter.com/SeanDefoe/status/1382368364622970882?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

Miike wrote: »
    I'm enjoying the silence on where this leaves healthcare workers in the interim who are waiting on their second doses or a decision to vaccinate using a different platform. I think its fairly reasonable to say they are at substantially higher risk of contracting the virus vs the general population and now a huge cohort (myself included) are being left in the lurch.

Paul Reid is on the record saying any healthcare worker who refuses the vaccine could be removed from their post under the Safety, Health and Welfare at Work Act 2005. NIAC could easily throw a spanner in the works here with their reply. Legally, for consent to be valid and genuine it has to be free of coercion or undue influence. I would argue that Paul Reids "threat" militates that notion outright.

"Risk taking the vaccine with the clot or loose your job".

For the record, I want to be very clear: I am awaiting my second dose of AZ and as things currently stand I absolutely want my second dose of it. Clot or not. I'm just interested in the medicolegal discussion thats going to crop up very soon.

I thought the clotting risk was with dose #1... in other words, if you’ve had dose #1 of AZ and didn't have the clotting, you won’t get it with dose #2?

EDIT: I thought wrong &#55357;&#56849;

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    So happy !! It’s probably AZ but I will take whatever is on offer !!

Yeah it will be. I've to sign my father up on Monday morning. He's not great with the tech so hopefully should only take a few minutes and get to see the process

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

More details on the above.

Opens 10am tomorrow morning. There will also be a phone line

https://twitter.com/SeanDefoe/status/1382368364622970882?s=19

To clarify, this is for anyone in that age range not just the vulnerable?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Yeah it will be. I've to sign my father up on Monday morning. He's not great with the tech so hopefully should only take a few minutes and get to see the process

There's gonna be a lot of parents children ticking disclaimers for them I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

EDit wrote: »
    I thought the clotting risk was with dose #1... in other words, if you’ve had dose #1 of AZ and didn't have the clotting, you won’t get it with dose #2?

Due to the 12 week (at least) dosing gap, there have been very few second dose recipients around the world so far; hence why they're extending it to 16 weeks here to collect more data on the safety. There hasn't been enough data to make a definitive claim about the second dose and clotting risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Mike3549

Most people still waiting for dose no2

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I thought the clotting risk was with dose #1... in other words, if youve had dose #1 of AZ and didnt have the clotting, you wont get it with dose #2?

It's unclear. In comparison to the first dose very few people have got the second. Not enough data to determine if there's no additional risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

funnydoggy wrote: »

Correct. Everyone in that age range is vulnerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭irishrepeat2

I'm enjoying the silence on where this leaves healthcare workers in the interim who are waiting on their second doses or a decision to vaccinate using a different platform. I think its fairly reasonable to say they are at substantially higher risk of contracting the virus vs the general population and now a huge cohort (myself included) are being left in the lurch.

Paul Reid is on the record saying any healthcare worker who refuses the vaccine could be removed from their post under the Safety, Health and Welfare at Work Act 2005. NIAC could easily throw a spanner in the works here with their reply. Legally, for consent to be valid and genuine it has to be free of coercion or undue influence. I would argue that Paul Reids "threat" militates that notion outright.

"Risk taking the vaccine with the clot or loose your job".

For the record, I want to be very clear: I am awaiting my second dose of AZ and as things currently stand I absolutely want my second dose of it. Clot or not. I'm just interested in the medicolegal discussion thats going to crop up very soon.
    Wait so people are to get their 2nd dose if they've already received their first AZ dose. Has this been confirmed? Even if under 60?

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

ok, my mistake

funnydoggy wrote: »

Yup anyone in that age range. If someone fits into the risk groupings they'll still go through either GP or consultant

rm212 wrote: »
    Correct. Everyone in that age range is vulnerable.

Ah jesus sorry I'm after confusing myself now lol! Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Wait so people are to get their 2nd dose if they've already received their first AZ dose. Has this been confirmed? Even if under 60?

That's the current guidance from NIAC. If the individual under 60 has a medical risk they should get the second dose in 12 weeks. If there's no medical risk they should wait for 16 weeks to give NIAC further time to assess the risk benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Russman

Probably not the worst idea, administratively and logistically it could be very tricky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

That question is being put to NIAC by the HSE.

If people under 60 consent knowing the risks can they still receive the vaccine. My question is how is that consent valid (for healthcare workers) in the eyes of the law given the looming threats from Paul Reid and now HIQA.

Yup anyone in that age range. If someone fits into the risk groupings they'll still go through either GP or consultant

That's grand. Other half's dad is 65 so he'll be delighted. Kinda confused myself but forgot they were doing cohorts in parallel. Thanks stephenjmcd :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Donnelly on Newstalk now saying we’re still on track for the 80% with first dose by June even without J&J

I'm not a fan of Donmelly at all, but that was a good interview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

All 65-69s within 2 weeks is pretty impressive
    https://twitter.com/micheallehane/status/1382373739849990153?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Donnelly on Newstalk now saying we’re still on track for the 80% with first dose by June even without J&J

Hopefully J&J is just a short term precaution. Throw those 600k single doses on top and everyone adult who wants a vaccine will have one dose and we'll be a long way to having majority fully vaccinated too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

All 65-69s within 2 weeks is pretty impressive
    https://twitter.com/micheallehane/status/1382373739849990153?s=21

“Will receive an appointment” within 2 weeks, or “will receive an appointment for a date that is within 2 weeks”, I wonder!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

nibtrix wrote: »
    “Will receive an appointment” within 2 weeks, or “will receive an appointment for a date that is within 2 weeks”, I wonder!

Yeh its not clear .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,841 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Russman wrote: »
    Probably not the worst idea, administratively and logistically it could be very tricky.

Could definitely be done via the online portal route : open it up to sections of people under 60 who are already eligible and ask them to register for an appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,841 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

nibtrix wrote: »

RTE say the vaccinations will start 'next week'.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭irishrepeat2

That question is being put to NIAC by the HSE.

If people under 60 consent knowing the risks can they still receive the vaccine. My question is how is that consent valid (for healthcare workers) in the eyes of the law given the looming threats from Paul Reid and now HIQA.
    So it's not confirmed? With doses due soon they need the make a decision fast

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Paul Moyna had a very good interview on the six one news

He's in favour of spreading out dose two of Preizer to allow more people get dose one

He said that would have a positive affect on hospitalisations, ICU and transmission

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

My uncle (60s)was due to have his vaccine on Tuesday but all AstraZeneca were cancelled as we know. The hospital rang him this afternoon and he's getting his AstraZeneca vaccine Tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Paul Moyna had a very good interview on the six one news

He's in favour of spreading out dose two of Preizer to allow more people get dose one

He said that would have a positive affect on hospitalisations, ICU and transmission

Surely if they increased it to 6 to 8 weeks from 4 weeks even more than 80% would have their first jab by the end of June? Even more Pfizer coming in 3Q so makes sense to me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement