Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Such great news in the last few hours.
    it feels like i have woke up from a nightmare of madness which was yesterday. De woman behind pzier jab will defo win nobel prize u wud think

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Probes

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Paul Moyna had a very good interview on the six one news

He's in favour of spreading out dose two of Preizer to allow more people get dose one

He said that would have a positive affect on hospitalisations, ICU and transmission

I think I agree at this point. I've anecdotally had a vulnerable family member test negative after sitting in a car for 45 mins with someone who was Covid positive. That was after one AZ dose. The vaccines seem pretty potent with one dose and by giving everyone a first dose we can halt this in its tracks, or we can wait twice as long for this to end.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Surely if they increased it to 6 to 8 weeks from 4 weeks even more than 80% would have their first jab by the end of June? Even more Pfizer coming in 3Q so makes sense to me.

All depends on J&J

600,000 fully vaccinated people would be some hole in the plan

Will be interesting to see if the government can get the plan for extending Pfeizer second doses past NIAC

I'm not sure they will but hopefully they can

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Today has really been a great news day:
    • Significant additional supply confirmed from Pfizer for Q2
    • Serious discussions on pushing out second dose of Pfizer to 6-8 weeks, increasing the speed at administering the first dose
    • Still on track for 80% of adults receiving first dose by June despite AZ and JJ issues
    • Consideration being given to waivers for AZ for those under 60 willing to take it
    • 65-69 year old booking portal to start from tomorrow with an expected appointment 1-2 weeks from booking

Amazing how things can completely turn around in the space of 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    All depends on J&J

600,000 fully vaccinated people would be some hole in the plan

Will be interesting to see if the government can get the plan for extending Pfeizer second doses past NIAC

I'm not sure they will but hopefully they can

Target will be met even without J&J

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

And fingers crossed CureVac comes in June to help out also.

The more mRNA vaccines the better it seems.

Oh, and sputnik, if approved. I forgot about gg mad Russians

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

And fingers crossed CureVac comes in June to help out also.

The more mRNA vaccines the better it seems.

Oh, and sputnik, if approved. I forgot about gg mad Russians

Sputnik is under investigation for breach of ethical rules in their clinical trial and stands accused of sending different/subpar product than what was agreed :eek:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-04-08/russia-demands-vaccine-shots-back-after-slovakia-doubts-quality

https://www.ft.com/content/50031165-1f46-446b-be9a-36d553805fec

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Sputnik is also adenovirus viral vector like AstraZeneca/J&J so I imagine if those two are put on hold, Sputnik would be too.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭noplacehere

I’m just catching up here and a little confused.

I’m a very high risk cohort in my thirties. I was given one dose of AstraZeneca.

As of this morning my understanding was I was going to be given the second jab as planned at the end of June.

Now I’m seeing some speculation we’d have to sign a waiver? What happens if we don’t want to sign the waiver? Can we get a different vaccine instead? Or do we go to the end of the line? There is a family history of clotting but not my own

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    We should really have a bank Holiday to honour the guys in Biontech who created the vaccine and the gang at Pfizer who produced it in huge numbers.

If/when we get out of this, that vaccine is going to have played a massive roll - and to think a few months ago AZ was considered the game changer

Jaze, have you not had enough days with feckin everything shut tight? If you want to honour these guys, arrange a 48-hour shopathon, during which nothing closes down... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

I’m a very high risk cohort in my thirties. I was given one dose of AstraZeneca.

As of this morning my understanding was I was going to be given the second jab as planned at the end of June.

Now I’m seeing some speculation we’d have to sign a waiver? What happens if we don’t want to sign the waiver? Can we get a different vaccine instead? Or do we go to the end of the line? There is a family history of clotting but not my own

See https://www2.hse.ie/screening-and-vaccinations/covid-19-vaccine/astrazeneca/vaccinations-restarted.html
    At the moment the official policy is that since you're high risk you will receive your second dose as planned after 12 weeks.

Anyway it's a rapidly evolving situation, so things might change in a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Champagne Sally

I wonder if any of our lovely posters are 69 or have a close relative that is, I’d love to hear how they got on with the portal tomorrow if they would be kind enough to post about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

muddypuppy wrote: »
    See https://www2.hse.ie/screening-and-vaccinations/covid-19-vaccine/astrazeneca/vaccinations-restarted.html
    At the moment the official policy is that since you're high risk you will receive your second dose as planned after 12 weeks.

Anyway it's a rapidly evolving situation, so things might change in a few days.

This will be interesting to see what happens. I can most definitely see a successful legal challenge to this. I’m assuming that they’re trying to kick the can down the road to get a better solution.

But the two major issues as it stands are that if you’re healthy and under 60 then it’s unsafe. If you are in an at risk group, whom are prone to more / severe adverse reactions to treatments it’s grand. How they aren’t seeing this problem is beyond me.

The second issue is if you go down to switching, when do you switch and do you have to start over again are the questions that need to be answered.

The way I see it right now, the NAIC will have you wait 12 weeks and then start Pfizer/ Moderna and get two doses. Obviously this changes if the AZ is massively revised down age wise or JJ gets approved for all etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,841 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Not for anyone receiving a second AZ dose as far as I know. You have already been vaccinated with one dose and the intention is to give people like you your second dose after 12 weeks as planned.

This talk of a waiver seems to be for people under 60 who have yet to receive an AZ dose but who might want one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

No not for 2nd dose.

It's for anyone u60 as part of general rollout. There is talk of the possibility of consent being signed by the person if they wanted to get AZ

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭josip

So when will they actually decide on the spacing interval for Pfizer ?
    Before Friday?
    Before Sunday?
    When JJ and FDA/EMA make a decision ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

josip wrote: »
    Before Friday?
    Before Sunday?

and wheres the rain that fell last winter????

No but really no one really knows anything at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Dr. Robotnik (Stephen Donnelly) said that will be made this week at some stage

josip wrote: »
    Before Friday?
    Before Sunday?

Pfizer recommends 3-4 weeks spacing. Ideally 3, so you would going against recommendations. There is some real world data out there, but that would have to be pulled in / analysed. I’d say something is going on in the background and ideally they’ll wait for the FDA/ EMA to decide about JJ first. If that goes badly, then they should have answer quick enough afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭sd1999

To me anyway it sounds like they’re just waiting to see what the story with J&J is. If they get the go ahead from the EMA on that, then Pfizer will probably have the normal interval. If they advise against using it or restrict it to over 60s, they’ll probably go with the 6-8 weeks. If J&J is all good (fingers crossed) then we’re in a better place than we were before AZ got restricted, due to the Pfizer boost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

hmmm wrote: »

Interesting, so I’m looking at pre-existing conditions there. I wonder what AZ was like for clotting (essentially if you’re in group 4 you’re more prone to this than age in general)

ddarcy wrote: »
    Interesting, so I’m looking at pre-existing conditions there. I wonder what AZ was like for clotting (essentially if you’re in group 4 you’re more prone to this than age in general)
    The entire thread is worth reading. No obvious pattern.

All were women, max age 48. Very rare.

Even if we limited this vaccine to men over (say) 30, it'd still be a good use for it in my view.

Let's get this train back on the tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Russman

There is talk of the possibility of consent being signed by the person if they wanted to get AZ

Something I’m struggling with here, if you’re in one of the lower age cohorts, why would you bother with signing a waiver to get AZ ? Obviously it depends on what sort of delay the whole episode will result in, but if it’s only a week or two as some are saying, I can’t see the logic in signing a waiver to get AZ maybe two weeks early and then have a 12 week wait for your second dose ?
    Like I’ve said before I’d take AZ in the morning, but at the same time if I could wait two weeks to get one of the mRNA jabs I’d happily wait.
    Colour me slightly confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Russman

I wonder if any of our lovely posters are 69 or have a close relative that is, I’d love to hear how they got on with the portal tomorrow if they would be kind enough to post about it.

My mum is 69 and I’ll be trying to register her in the morning (she’s 97% there with regard to taking AZ), I’ll post how we get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Russman wrote: »
    Something I’m struggling with here, if you’re in one of the lower age cohorts, why would you bother with signing a waiver to get AZ ? Obviously it depends on what sort of delay the whole episode will result in, but if it’s only a week or two as some are saying, I can’t see the logic in signing a waiver to get AZ maybe two weeks early and then have a 12 week wait for your second dose ?
    Like I’ve said before I’d take AZ in the morning, but at the same time if I could wait two weeks to get one of the mRNA jabs I’d happily wait.
    Colour me slightly confused.

I guess people just want to get a jab of something in their arm as quickly as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

lbj666 wrote: »
    There's gonna be a lot of parents children ticking disclaimers for them I reckon.

RTE have already got illiterate Mary in Westmeath lined up for the 6-one tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

Degag wrote: »
    I guess people just want to get a jab of something in their arm as quickly as possible.

That would be me; most of my family live in England and I haven’t seen them in 15 months. Just wanna go over and sit on a different sofa for a week!

A lot for me depends on vaccine passports.

If a single dose is sufficient to travel, attend events etc., I'll take the first vaccine I can get. More than happy to take the AZ vaccine which seems to provide very good protection if clots remain a relatively rare side-effect.

If it's "fully vaccinated" before you can get a passport then like you say AZ becomes less attractive in later months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

My mum is 69 and I’ll be trying to register her in the morning (she’s 97% there with regard to taking AZ), I’ll post how we get on.
    Can let you know on Friday as well.

Listen back to Luke O'Neill on Pat Kenny on Monday (I think), he completely debunked any link between this and "standard clotting".

Honestly, I will gladly sign a waiver to get an AZ vaccine. I like the odds being longer than being hit by a car.

But I will never let anybody near me with Sputnik. No fng way!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement