Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Qrt wrote: »
    That would be me; most of my family live in England and I haven’t seen them in 15 months. Just wanna go over and sit on a different sofa for a week!

Yeah, as it stands i'm accepting the risk. It'll be another few months but once i'm called i don't care what they're putting in me!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

To keep an eye on over the next while

https://twitter.com/kakape/status/1382424328059387912

• Registered Users Posts: 31,086 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Russman wrote: »
    Something I’m struggling with here, if you’re in one of the lower age cohorts, why would you bother with signing a waiver to get AZ ? Obviously it depends on what sort of delay the whole episode will result in, but if it’s only a week or two as some are saying, I can’t see the logic in signing a waiver to get AZ maybe two weeks early and then have a 12 week wait for your second dose ?
    You might have to wait 12 weeks for a second dose of mRNA vaccine.

Also, one dose of AZ might be better than one of Pfizer.

One of the early UK pre-prints showed higher efficacy for AZ after one dose. For the over 70s, Pfizer plateaued at 61% after 1 month. Astra reached 60% after a month and then kept climbing to 73% in the following few days.

Early effectiveness of COVID-19 vaccination with BNT162b2 mRNA vaccine and ChAdOx1 adenovirus vector vaccine on symptomatic disease, hospitalisations and mortality in older adults in the UK: a test negative case control study
    https://khub.net/documents/135939561/430986542/Early+effectiveness+of+COVID+vaccines.pdf/ffd7161c-b255-8e88-c2dc-88979fc2cc1b?t=1614617945615

I'm sure there might be other studies that show the reverse, but IMO they're probably both good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Lumen wrote: »
    You might have to wait 12 weeks for a second dose of mRNA vaccine.

Also, one dose of AZ might be better than one of Pfizer.

One of the early UK pre-prints showed higher efficacy for AZ after one dose. For the over 70s, Pfizer plateaued at 61% after 1 month. Astra reached 60% after a month and then kept climbing to 73% in the following few days.

Early effectiveness of COVID-19 vaccination with BNT162b2 mRNA vaccine and ChAdOx1 adenovirus vector vaccine on symptomatic disease, hospitalisations and mortality in older adults in the UK: a test negative case control study
    https://khub.net/documents/135939561/430986542/Early+effectiveness+of+COVID+vaccines.pdf/ffd7161c-b255-8e88-c2dc-88979fc2cc1b?t=1614617945615

I'm sure there might be other studies that show the reverse, but IMO they're probably both good enough.
    They're looking at 6-8 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Lumen wrote: »
    The t-cell study released today was also very interesting showing a stronger response in AZ vs Pfizer.
    https://www.ft.com/content/4492746e-6a14-4993-9c21-cd9c9f37eca4

I'm no immunologist, but as part of my accelerated online studies it's become apparent that we have had too much attention on antibodies, and not enough attention on t-cells which will likely provide protection against future variants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

A bit of a vent here. I was talking to a woman today who works in a nursing home. She was telling me a couple of the staff refused to take the vaccine but are let work on as normal and nothing more about it. That pisses me off unfortunately……

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Micky 32 wrote: »
    A bit of a vent here. I was talking to a woman today who works in a nursing home. She was telling me a couple of the staff refused to take the vaccine but are let work on as normal and nothing more about it. That pisses me off unfortunately……

For someone in that occupation, it should be compulsory. Horrible carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,086 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

hmmm wrote: »
    The t-cell study released today was also very interesting showing a stronger response in AZ vs Pfizer.
    https://www.ft.com/content/4492746e-6a14-4993-9c21-cd9c9f37eca4

I'm no immunologist, but as part of my accelerated online studies it's become apparent that we have had too much attention on antibodies, and not enough attention on t-cells which will likely provide protection against future variants.

There's been a lot of speculation about t-cell immunity in the stuff I've read, going back ages.

I think the antibody focus just comes from the fact that they're easy to test for, and so are a handy proxy/indicator for likely immunity or past infection.

But I'm probably even less of an immunolgist that you are. :)

In any case, I reckon it makes sense to have a range of vaccines taken within a population to help gather as much data as possible. You know, for the next pandemic. The bad one. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Micky 32 wrote: »

It's the duty of management here to do a risk assessment on this in the specific unit. HIQA today laid out their plan for vaccine refusal in healthcare workers

• Registered Users Posts: 18,841 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Degag wrote: »
    I guess people just want to get a jab of something in their arm as quickly as possible.

Indeed : talk of vaccine hesitancy is totally overblown and overstated....many people just want to get vaccinated and try and get out of this pandemic once and for all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Russman wrote: »
    My mum is 69 and I’ll be trying to register her in the morning (she’s 97% there with regard to taking AZ), I’ll post how we get on.

I presume it will be clear where we actually register! I'm 69 and will let you all know how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Miike wrote: »
    I'm enjoying the silence on where this leaves healthcare workers in the interim who are waiting on their second doses or a decision to vaccinate using a different platform. I think its fairly reasonable to say they are at substantially higher risk of contracting the virus vs the general population and now a huge cohort (myself included) are being left in the lurch.

Paul Reid is on the record saying any healthcare worker who refuses the vaccine could be removed from their post under the Safety, Health and Welfare at Work Act 2005. NIAC could easily throw a spanner in the works here with their reply. Legally, for consent to be valid and genuine it has to be free of coercion or undue influence. I would argue that Paul Reids "threat" militates that notion outright.

"Risk taking the vaccine with the clot or loose your job".

For the record, I want to be very clear: I am awaiting my second dose of AZ and as things currently stand I absolutely want my second dose of it. Clot or not. I'm just interested in the medicolegal discussion thats going to crop up very soon.

Totally agree .
    Asking people to sign to agree to take a vaccine also is opening a legal can of worms..... " consent under duress, where people are unsure if they will be offered another , is it valid "?

I’m just catching up here and a little confused.

I’m a very high risk cohort in my thirties. I was given one dose of AstraZeneca.

As of this morning my understanding was I was going to be given the second jab as planned at the end of June.

Now I’m seeing some speculation we’d have to sign a waiver? What happens if we don’t want to sign the waiver? Can we get a different vaccine instead? Or do we go to the end of the line? There is a family history of clotting but not my own

If you have had your first dose you will get your second dose at 12 weeks .
    No waiver .
    This waiver is very unlikely to happen medicolegally , despite some people talking about it today .
    It leaves the state open to all sorts of legal action , from allowing people to feel that they are not in a position to get a vaccine unless they sign a form, to putting HCWs or the public under duress for fear of losing their livelihood or just their place in the queue.

Your upset and confusion over this and others feeling the pressure to take a vaccine, any vaccine to be able to get back to normal , is just what I am talking about here .
    In no way is it fair to ask people to make those sort of choices with new vaccines in the middle of a pandemic and worldwide vaccination program .
    Decisions will be made from the top ie NIAC and government, not only to protect the citizens but also to indemnify the state .

Also normal clotting history does not involve the same body reactions that cause CVST or thrombocytopenia.
    It involves a different mechanism in the body completely.
    Please talk with your GP about it but don't let all this upset you .

Father in law is 69, he'll be registering tomorrow. We did offer to do it for him but he's well able to do it himself. The vaccination centre in his county isn't open until early May so he'll probably get called around then.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

I wonder if any of our lovely posters are 69 or have a close relative that is, I’d love to hear how they got on with the portal tomorrow if they would be kind enough to post about it.
    I'm 69 and will sign up tomorrow as i am very much in favour of vacination.Having said that given a choice i would have Astra as my last available choice.Hate the thought of 70 being around the corner but would now like to skip a year.Also feel that our age group 60 to 69 are being short changed,59 no Astra 70 no Astra.I am of the opinion that the portal will do well to reach 60 to 65% take up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

I am 69. Not sure that I want to sign up for AZ tomorrow but not sure what the procedure is if I don't........I feel as if all the AZ vaccines will be dumped on the 60 to 69 year olds' until gone, rather than waste them.

I might just register and see what happens without actually confirming an appointment.

Before anyone thinks otherwise , I am all for all of the vaccines approved, given safely and taking care to recognise and report side effects and adapt the vaccination program promptly .
    This is what is happening and I don't think this will be the last bump in the road before we get where we want to be .
    Everything looking much better this evening as opposed to last night , for sure , and I do think the age groups allowed to get AZ and J&J will be revised .
    Over 60 is very very cautious .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

lukas8888 wrote: »
    I'm 69 and will sign up tomorrow as i am very much in favour of vacination.Having said that given a choice i would have Astra as my last available choice.Hate the thought of 70 being around the corner but would now like to skip a year.Also feel that our age group 60 to 69 are being short changed,59 no Astra 70 no Astra.I am of the opinion that the portal will do well to reach 60 to 65% take up.

I feel the same about AstraZeneca, but I have no desire to be any older than I am!!!! Like others I have spoken with, I feel that this vaccine is being dumped on us and would be feeling a bit better if the age band was more than 10 years. No, not my first choice, but I'm glad to be getting vaccinated fairly soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,841 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I am 69. Not sure that I want to sign up for AZ tomorrow but not sure what the procedure is if I don't........I feel as if all the AZ vaccines will be dumped on the 60 to 69 year olds' until gone, rather than waste them.

I might just register and see what happens without actually confirming an appointment.

I wouldn't be too hasty to dismiss AZ as a vaccine. All the indications are that it actually works : you only have to look at GB / NI.....their current new case numbers are actually a good bit lower than us per capita.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭sd1999

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Before anyone thinks otherwise , I am all for all of the vaccines approved, given safely and taking care to recognise and report side effects and adapt the vaccination program promptly .
    This is what is happening and I don't think this will be the last bump in the road before we get where we want to be .
    Everything looking much better this evening as opposed to last night , for sure , and I do think the age groups allowed to get AZ and J&J will be revised .
    Over 60 is very very cautious .

Even bringing it down to over 50s would help a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Russman

Goldengirl wrote: »
    No waiver .
    This waiver is very unlikely to happen medicolegally , despite some people talking about it today .
    It leaves the state open to all sorts of legal action , from allowing people to feel that they are not in a position to get a vaccine unless they sign a form, to putting HCWs or the public under duress for fear of losing their livelihood or just their place in the queue.

Your upset and confusion over this and others feeling the pressure to take a vaccine, any vaccine to be able to get back to normal , is just what I am talking about here .
    In no way is it fair to ask people to make those sort of choices with new vaccines in the middle of a pandemic and worldwide vaccination program .
    Decisions will be made from the top ie NIAC and government, not only to protect the citizens but also to indemnify the state .

Really sensible points. It could well be that it’s more trouble than its worth to go with a waiver, or at least a widely available one, rather than one in certain circumstances. If J&J gets the go ahead and with the extra doses from Pfizer, it may become a complete red herring.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,524 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Sound like AZ and J&J are likely to be limited in a similar fashion. In the 60-69 age group and I'm guessing I'll get one of the two. No problem with either but the big plus with the J&J one is it's a single dose. A 4 month wait for the 2nd dose of AZ will be a right pain if things open up for people who are fully vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

vienne86 wrote: »
    I presume it will be clear where we actually register! I'm 69 and will let you all know how I get on.

https://vaccine.hse.ie/

Due to open at 10:00 I think

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭josip

https://www2.hse.ie/screening-and-vaccinations/covid-19-vaccine/getting-your-vaccine/getting-your-vaccine.html
    We will add a link to the registration system here on Thursday, 15 April

Is it worth waiting up until 00:01 to see if the link appears or is it more likely to appear at 09:00 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

josip wrote: »
    https://www2.hse.ie/screening-and-vaccinations/covid-19-vaccine/getting-your-vaccine/getting-your-vaccine.html

Is it worth waiting up until 00:01 to see if the link appears or is it more likely to appear at 09:00 ?

Do you think someone in the HSE will wait up to turn it on 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

josip wrote: »

https://vaccine.hse.ie/ is the link that will be posted I think. It was open briefly earlier today (presumably for testing) but switched to a “ This service is not available yet.” message earlier this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Do you think someone in the HSE will wait up to turn it on 😀

Post of the day :pac:

I had thought the waiver was a good idea but the more I think about it I don’t see it as that.

The vaccine is either safe for under 60’s or it’s not, the government/NIAC can’t let people take it if it isn’t safe. If it is safe then no waiver is needed.

nibtrix wrote: »
    https://vaccine.hse.ie/ is the link that will be posted I think. It was open briefly earlier today (presumably for testing) but switched to a “ This service is not available yet.” message earlier this evening.

Live now but not bookable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Do we know when J&J will be unpaused?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement