Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Live now but not bookable

Yeah it had the full bookable functionality earlier but it wasn’t linked or searchable so not really “open” for business. Usual testing process for a new application

I am 69. Not sure that I want to sign up for AZ tomorrow but not sure what the procedure is if I don't........I feel as if all the AZ vaccines will be dumped on the 60 to 69 year olds' until gone, rather than waste them.

I might just register and see what happens without actually confirming an appointment.

60 was a very conservative cut-off, there have been hardly any cases of the clotting disorder above that age. It's disproportionately affecting younger people, who also have a lower risk from covid. That's why the risk v benefit is not straightforward in young adults.

If you're over 60 it is an absolute no brainer to get the vaccine, your risk from covid is many many times greater than your risk from Astrazeneca.

You should definitely register. You'll get a call or text about an appointment within two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

nibtrix wrote: »
    Yeah it had the full bookable functionality earlier but it wasn’t linked or searchable so not really “open” for business. Usual testing process for a new application

Yeah - from reading the wording “We’re asking people to register on specific days” and “We will be assigning appointments by age so it doesn’t matter how quickly you register. You won't get your vaccine any sooner if you register earlier.” I wonder will it actually restrict 65 year olds tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,841 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Do we know when J&J will be unpaused?

Apparently the EMA will meet next week and may issue a decision after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Beasty wrote: »
    Sound like AZ and J&J are likely to be limited in a similar fashion. In the 60-69 age group and I'm guessing I'll get one of the two. No problem with either but the big plus with the J&J one is it's a single dose. A 4 month wait for the 2nd dose of AZ will be a right pain if things open up for people who are fully vaccinated.

I don't think if you are in the 60 to 69 age group that you will have to wait 4 months afaik .
    That is just for those younger age groups , non vulnerable , who have had their first dose already , and so they are waiting for a while before they will be getting their 2nd dose,

• Advertisement

josip wrote: »
    https://www2.hse.ie/screening-and-vaccinations/covid-19-vaccine/getting-your-vaccine/getting-your-vaccine.html

Is it worth waiting up until 00:01 to see if the link appears or is it more likely to appear at 09:00 ?

Ahh thanks, josip, for the laugh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Handy step by step video for anyone who'll be registering over the next few days

https://youtu.be/v1JoC01Omgc

Goldengirl wrote: »
    I don't think if you are in the 60 to 69 age group that you will have to wait 4 months afaik .
    That is just for those younger age groups , non vulnerable , who have had their first dose already , and so they are waiting for a while before they will be getting their 2nd dose,

Indeed the 60 to 69 group will still get the 2nd dose after 12 weeks.

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1381674103661285382?s=19

Indeed the 60 to 69 group will still get the 2nd dose after 12 weeks.

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1381674103661285382?s=19

Yes . I knew I had seen that somewhere . Thanks .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,390 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Coincidentally enough, my Dad turns 69 tomorrow.

I can't think of a better belated birthday present than him getting a vaccine in a couple of weeks, all going well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Flying Fox wrote: »
    60 was a very conservative cut-off, there have been hardly any cases of the clotting disorder above that age. It's disproportionately affecting younger people, who also have a lower risk from covid. That's why the risk v benefit is not straightforward in young adults.

If you're over 60 it is an absolute no brainer to get the vaccine, your risk from covid is many many times greater than your risk from Astrazeneca.

You should definitely register. You'll get a call or text about an appointment within two weeks.

Just on this question of risk, take a look at https://qcovid.org/Calculation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Apologies to the mods as, strictly speaking, this isn't about the vaccine, more so the implications of it. But I'd be interested to get the thoughts on this. Restrictions "well into 2022" isn't something I envisaged for an innoculated nation.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40266260.html?type=amp

I am 69. Not sure that I want to sign up for AZ tomorrow but not sure what the procedure is if I don't........I feel as if all the AZ vaccines will be dumped on the 60 to 69 year olds' until gone, rather than waste them.

I might just register and see what happens without actually confirming an appointment.

Assess your own risk and then decide.

I did the Oxford assessment and it put me at 94/100, where 99/100 means basically youre ****ed if you get Covid. Without health issues and if I was a healthy female of same age, I'd be scoring 71/100.

https://qcovid.org/Calculation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Apologies to the mods as, strictly speaking, this isn't about the vaccine, more so the implications of it. But I'd be interested to get the thoughts on this. Restrictions "well into 2022" isn't something I envisaged for an innoculated nation.

just following being the trend of being conservative. Last years budget was based on no vacines and a no deal brexit. It didnt allow for such a prolongued level 5 lockdown though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭Polar101

While I wouldn't have had a problem accepting the AZ vaccine if the rollout hadn't been restricted, I wouldn't put my name forward to receive it now.

It just wouldn't make a lot of sense - if I get a different vaccine (Pfizer, I assume) in 2-3 months, I'd have my second dose in August (give or take a few weeks). If I volunteered for AZ, I might get that in a couple of weeks, and then get the second dose 12-16 weeks later. So while I'd get the 1st dose faster, my volunteering for AZ wouldn't really help me get the 2nd dose any faster.

That just makes me think there's not much point in voluntary AZ vaccinations.

Edit: I'm not in the 60-69 age group - if I were, then I'd take AZ for sure.

Probably off topic however it's pretty difficult to predict the future but we can really look to the impact of vaccination in other countries.

The dept of finance have to always look at the worst case scenarios when coming up with projections.

The budget for example back in October was based on a hard no deal brexit and no vaccine. Look at us now, neither has come to pass.

If things move along at a quicker pace then it's good for everyone, us and the states coffers, but business supports etc will have to remain for a long time.

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Post of the day :pac:

Post of the Day in the Snarky, ****ty, Sarcastic league table perhaps! People in the HSE and related agencies that have been involved in trying to deal with this pandemic have been working absolutely flat out for a year now. Give it a rest with the snark and realise that these are people too, and are doing more than any of us keyboard warriors to help keep us safe and get through this!

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭JPup

Beasty wrote: »
    Sound like AZ and J&J are likely to be limited in a similar fashion. In the 60-69 age group and I'm guessing I'll get one of the two. No problem with either but the big plus with the J&J one is it's a single dose. A 4 month wait for the 2nd dose of AZ will be a right pain if things open up for people who are fully vaccinated.

One dose of J&J gives very similar protection to one dose of AZ though. Probably better off long term health wise to get the second dose. J&J recipients will probably need a second booster dose eventually anyway.

Business supports , continuing PUP or other extra social welfare supports for those whose jobs in entertainment hospitality or travel may still be affected . Hopefully all will be well back but lots of businesses won't reopen without a lot of help .
    Hospitals and healthcare are going to need extra to try to get waiting lists and backlogs cleared while maintaining a safe Covid free environment .
    And Covid will still be here although not as prominent so vaccination and test and trace will continue .

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Post of the Day in the Snarky, ****ty, Sarcastic league table perhaps! People in the HSE and related agencies that have been involved in trying to deal with this pandemic have been working absolutely flat out for a year now. Give it a rest with the snark and realise that these are people too, and are doing more than any of us keyboard warriors to help keep us safe and get through this!

Ah, I am in the healthcare business and I found it funny too ! ;)

Let's face it we are not known for our tech savvy sites !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,240 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I’d like to know what vaccines that the Minister for Health will take, or Paul Reid, Ronan Glynn or any of the rest of them like Varadkar. And have the same please. Don’t see why 60-69 yr olds are being asked to take a vaccine with ??? If the HSE and government want a PR win, they’re going the wrong way about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

If you've seen any of my posts on here, you'd know that I'm not critical or snarky towards the HSE. It is healthy to laugh at things, and I'm sure lots of people in the hse would also find a comment like that funny. It's important not to take things too seriously at times, for levity.

You can trust me, I'm a funnydoggy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

It’s an Irish thing to assume the worst in everything and have a laugh.

Sure websites can be programmed to go live at a fixed time so it was just a joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Does anyone else think it would be a great political move by Michael Martin to get the AZ vaccine in the coming days as an encouragement for the 60-69 group that this is a safe vaccine? I think him slightly jumping the que would be justified by the good it would bring. I know most on here with jump at the chance of getting AZ soon but a lot of the 60-69's feel singled out and have vaccine hesitency that they never had until yesterday. He's 60 so there's a good chance he'll end of getting the AZ vaccine anyway.

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Ah, I am in the healthcare business and I found it funny too ! ;)

Let's face it we are not known for our tech savvy sites !

I too, am in the health sector. I found it offensive and ignorant of the facts! Time was, ppl used to stop whatever they were doing to clap together to signal support and gratitude for those in healthcare who were keeping us safe. How quickly we forget!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,329 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Furze99 wrote: »
    I’d like to know what vaccines that the Minister for Health will take, or Paul Reid, Ronan Glynn or any of the rest of them like Varadkar. And have the same please. Don’t see why 60-69 yr olds are being asked to take a vaccine with ??? If the HSE and government want a PR win, they’re going the wrong way about it.
    I would like to know how many of the above, or of 'the rest of them', have not been vaccinated already...

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

Offer everyone a vaccine, then just open up within reason and see how it plays out. Honestly I cannot deal with another year of online college, we’ll find up years of dumbed-down grads soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

JPup wrote: »
    One dose of J&J gives very similar protection to one dose of AZ though. Probably better off long term health wise to get the second dose. J&J recipients will probably need a second booster dose eventually anyway.

Going to be pretty frustrating if J&J people are told "ok that's you done, go enjoy haircuts, pubs and international travel" while AZ people have to wait 12 weeks to enjoy the same despite being given basically the same injection.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭PatrickDoherty

Klonker wrote: »
    Does anyone else think it would be a great political move by Michael Martin to get the AZ vaccine in the coming days as an encouragement for the 60-69 group that this is a safe vaccine? I think him slightly jumping the que would be justified by the good it would bring. I know most on here with jump at the chance of getting AZ soon but a lot of the 60-69's feel singled out and have vaccine hesitency that they never had until yesterday. He's 60 so there's a good chance he'll end of getting the AZ vaccine anyway.

You think cabinet havent had theirs yet? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

I too, am in the health sector. I found it offensive and ignorant of the facts! Time was, ppl used to stop whatever they were doing to clap together to signal support and gratitude for those in healthcare who were keeping us safe. How quickly we forget!

That’s a bit over the top for what was a very mild joke that clearly wasn’t directed at frontline healthcare workers. Suggesting that “the HSE” as an organisation should not be criticised in any way due to the efforts of FHCWs during the pandemic is asking people to ignore the years of mismanagement of the healthcare system.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement