Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

vienne86 wrote: »
    I can't get my head around bothering to count the clicks here. I found it reassuring to get the email and the text so that I know they were typed in OK.

You'd have to wonder at the thought process all right. "This is too much work. I'm going to make it even more work by counting the clicks".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Varadkar on morning Ireland was asked the question surrounding vaccine choice. If someone gets an appointment for AZ but prefers Pfizer etc you will go to the end of the queue. When asked how long that would take would it be June of July he said it wouldn't it would be at the end of the rollout

https://twitter.com/RTENewsPaulC/status/1382597559361867778?s=20

He said that it might be the autumn before they get their vaccine if they refuse to register this week....

But he also confirmed that 80% of all adults should be vaccinated by the end of June.

So it appears that we will have to sit on the bold step for several months after 80% of the population have been vaccinated as some sort of punishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Just registered the mother in law there. Very easy, took a couple of minutes. She's delighted now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Whilst have the portal ready is good news, if would have been nice if they had put some effort into the less technical task of providing a simple communication interface for checking when the houseboud will received their vaccine. Whilst yesterday's Government statement boosted that this group is nearing completion, there is no indication of this being the case for the housebound and their carers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

He said that it might be the autumn before they get their vaccine if they refuse to register this week....

But he also confirmed that 80% of all adults should be vaccinated by the end of June.

So it appears that we will have to sit on the bold step for several months after 80% of the population have been vaccinated as some sort of punishment.

80% of first dose by the end of June is the plan. I'd imagine second doses for those who had a first dose will be prioritised over those who turn their nose up at the first offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

You'd have to wonder at the thought process all right. "This is too much work. I'm going to make it even more work by counting the clicks".

Counting clicks would stress me out !! I would loose count and have to start again !
    Personally if I have 100 clicks and asked to stand up , sit down 10 times I will !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Varadkar on morning Ireland was asked the question surrounding vaccine choice. If someone gets an appointment for AZ but prefers Pfizer etc you will go to the end of the queue. When asked how long that would take would it be June of July he said it wouldn't it would be at the end of the rollout

https://twitter.com/RTENewsPaulC/status/1382597559361867778?s=20

You'd wonder is that legal consent? Like the whole signing a contract you need to not be under duress, which you can argue not getting a vaccine until months later is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Some people can be awful whingers.

I had a small elderly customer complain to me once in work that she had trouble entering the shop, as the entrance was too narrow. As she said that, I looked around and saw a woman pushing a double buggy around the shop.

To clarify, the entrance could fit 2 double buggies side by side.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 JMR46

Manach wrote: »
    Whilst have the portal ready is good news, if would have been nice if they had put some effort into the less technical task of providing a simple communication interface for checking when the houseboud will received their vaccine. Whilst yesterday's Government statement boosted that this group is nearing completion, there is no indication of this being the case for the housebound and their carers.

Ya I certainly would like to know as I have a 96 yr old relative who is housebound and waiting to be vaccinated. It was mentioned in the Dail weeks ago that they had 600/1800 first doses given out but nothing since.
    Maybe another update will come in the Dáil today, fingers crossed.

BTW I think they're handling the rollout very well in general but this particular area could surely be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

There's no bold step, people can't pick and choose with vaccines. As we've seen so far they'll move to the next person on the list. In a national plan there is no scope for people to gum it up while they select from a menu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Russman

vienne86 wrote: »
    Okay folks. The portal is open, and I have just registered. Exactly as described in the video.

Best of luck everyone!

Yep, just registered my mother a few mins ago. Simple enough to do really. she probably could have done it herself easily enough.

titan18 wrote: »
    You'd wonder is that legal consent? Like the whole signing a contract you need to not be under duress, which you can argue not getting a vaccine until months later is.

This looks like complete overthinking. Vaccines will be available and people can opt to take them or not. Neither the State nor anyone else care what individuals unless we don't get enough vaccinated. By the looks of demand for vaccines this scenario will not arise.

Russman wrote: »
    Yep, just registered my mother a few mins ago. Simple enough to do really. she probably could have done it herself easily enough.
    But then you wouldn't be basking in the glow of being the good son!:D

is_that_so wrote: »
    There's no bold step, people can't pick and choose with vaccines. As we've seen so far they'll move to the next person on the list. In a national plan there is no scope for people to gum it up while they select from a menu.

There will come a point relatively soon (especially with Pfizer), where to avoid wastage they will simply have to put word out doses are available at a specific location today, first come first served (if in an eligible group). It happened in Israel and happens daily in the US.

I'd imagine this is where there may be scope for people to "gum it up".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

GREAT article from Derek Lowe

Vaccine Side Effects Q and A

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2021/04/14/vaccine-side-effects-q-and-a

There will come a point relatively soon (especially with Pfizer), where to avoid wastage they will simply have to put word out doses are available at a specific location today, first come first served (if in an eligible group). It happened in Israel and happens daily in the US.

I'd imagine this is where there may be scope for people to "gum it up".
    That's likely to be small numbers and it's a given. TBF some of the hiccups aside we seem to be able to manage that in our plan. Grabbing random people to complete vials doesn't automatically equate to facilitating refusniks waiting for their favourite jab. If you want a jab take it when they offer it, otherwise accept the system will move on.

That's likely to be small numbers and it's a given. TBF some of the hiccups aside we seem to be able to manage that in our plan. Grabbing random people to complete vials doesn't automatically equate to facilitating refusniks waiting for their favourite jab. If you want a jab take it when they offer it, otherwise accept the system will move on.

If there's a mass of people refusing AZ (and since that's a higher risk age group too), it'll be interesting to see what they do. Today is him just threatening people to take it, and the back of the queue process works if it's a small minority. If loads refuse it, it'll be more interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭sd1999

If there's a mass of people refusing AZ (and since that's a higher risk age group too), it'll be interesting to see what they do. Today is him just threatening people to take it, and the back of the queue process works if it's a small minority. If loads refuse it, it'll be more interesting.

They'll probably just get offered another AZ appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

Surely our lot aren't going to restrict J&J based on age? We'll never be done if they do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭josip

Which is what Reid has been trying to say nicely all along. He's the right person to come out with this too and it does need to be that blunt.

What happens if you get your first shot of (AZ/Pfizer) but aren't able to make/miss your 2nd shot appointment?
    Do you get it on your next available date or do you go to the back of the queue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Russman

Yeah, whilst I can agree with the sentiment behind it, the "stick" nature of the message might not be the best. IIRC he has form with this kind of messaging before though.
    As you say, if only a few refuse it, its not a big issue but if loads do, then it becomes a big problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

On the 50 million extra doses, the Italian head of vaccines (not sure if that's the correct translation) reported that Italy will get 670000 extra vaccines in April, 2150000 in May and over 4000000 in June.
    Going by the 1.1% allocation of Ireland, this translates to about 54000 in April, 174000 in May and 323000 in June.

It's not a threat it's been HSE policy all the way through this that you can't pick and choose. I don't think there will be loads and that people seem to be happy to take what they're given. As for going to the back of the queue, from a system and management perspective it makes sense. They will be able to say we are now on the 60, 59, 45, 32 group etc. At the end of it they will have just have a miscellaneous group to wrap up.

josip wrote: »
    What happens if you get your first shot of (AZ/Pfizer) but aren't able to make/miss your 2nd shot appointment?
    Do you get it on your next available date or do you go to the back of the queue?
    That would be a reschedule, ideally within the time frame for those vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭Economics101

Looking at the comments about the new HSE vaccine booking system, I wonder how many people in the 60-69 age group will have trouble in navigating the system. There will be a not-insignificant number who don't have email, or a mobile, or perhaps a PPSN. There will also be people who are simply phobic about online bookings and who struggle to get the (10-character?!!) password right. Sure, they can phone the HSE, but given how dreadful so many phone hotlines are, I just wonder. There is a huge public interest in getting maximum vaccination coverage, so all these potentially discouraged people could be an important issue.

With some younger people, when the time comes, the problem might not be computer literacy, but "couldn't be arsed", if current behaviour patterns are a guide.

Is there a case for having vaccination teams visit places of employment such as supermarkets and making it easy and convenient for, say, supermarket workers? Once you get down to the under-50s the risk calculations might warrant this.

These points are made with the objective of general risk minimisation, and are not intended to pass judgement on anyone, young or old.

It's not a threat it's been HSE policy all the way through this that you can't pick and choose. I don't think there will be loads and that people seem be happy to take what they're given. As for going to the back of the queue, from a system and management perspective it makes sense. They will be able to say we are now on the 60, 59, 45, 32 group etc. At the end of it they will have just have a miscellaneous group to wrap up.

Course its a threat. Take the vaccine or else in effect.

I know of a fair few in their 60s who are debating taking it tbh so I reckon there could be a fair bit. One age group being given it with all the reported issues isn't a good look no matter what way anyone spins it. The best thing they can do imo is have Martin (as he's 60) take it live on air (LLS/Prime Time or whatever) and I think a lot of the resistance would go. As it is, anecdotally there seems to be a fair bit of resistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Anyone have a link to the onboarding video out of curiosity?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

It's not a threat it's been HSE policy all the way through this that you can't pick and choose. I don't think there will be loads and that people seem to be happy to take what they're given. As for going to the back of the queue, from a system and management perspective it makes sense. They will be able to say we are now on the 60, 59, 45, 32 group etc. At the end of it they will have just have a miscellaneous group to wrap up.

And I think the HSE are right to not let people pick and choose. Much as I would prefer to be getting the Phizer vaccine, I know that there a lots and lots of people who would bight my hand off for the registration this morning for the AstraZenecca jab.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Stark wrote: »
    Anyone have a link to the onboarding video out of curiosity?

https://www.newstalk.com/news/coronavirus-vaccine-portal-heres-what-you-need-to-do-1179989

• Advertisement

Looking at the comments about the new HSE vaccine booking system, I wonder how many people in the 60-69 age group will have trouble in navigating the system. There will be a not-insignificant number who don't have email, or a mobile, or perhaps a PPSN. There will also be people who are simply phobic about online bookings and who struggle to get the (10-character?!!) password right. Sure, they can phone the HSE, but given how dreadful so many phone hotlines are, I just wonder. There is a huge public interest in getting maximum vaccination coverage, so all these potentially discouraged people could be an important issue.

With some younger people, when the time comes, the problem might not be computer literacy, but "couldn't be arsed", if current behaviour patterns are a guide.

Is there a case for having vaccination teams visit places of employment such as supermarkets and making it easy and convenient for, say, supermarket workers? Once you get down to the under-50s the risk calculations might warrant this.

These points are made with the objective of general risk minimisation, and are not intended to pass judgement on anyone, young or old.
    Are you sure you've got absolutely every negative point you can think of in there? Most 60-69 are far from feeble and well able to do things for themselves. There's also no pressure on them to do it on the date they can book.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement