Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭PMBC

Just registered. Had to wait 3 minutes as 900 odd were ahead of me at 10.03. Registration screen appeared at 10.06 so very short wait and completed in a few minutes; relatively easy and *seemed glitch free
    *I have a problem with my Caps lock and I think the system continued to display 'Caps lock on' when I was on lower case. However I got it eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Isn't there also a hotline people can ring to sort it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

For anyone doing it for someone else, apart from the Eircode, DOB and PPS number, have the persons GP details and either use your own phone or have them have theirs at hand for the registration verification code.

It's a pretty good and straightforward system, even if you don't have the full GP details you enter partially enter it and a list will come up with the full details and address and you can select it from there.

After registration though is there another mail sent out, or is the only mail sent out the one asking to verify the email address used?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭josip

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Isn't there also a hotline people can ring to sort it?

Yes, and thankfully it's not run by Eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

titan18 wrote: »
    Course its a threat. Take the vaccine or else in effect.

I know of a fair few in their 60s who are debating taking it tbh so I reckon there could be a fair bit. One age group being given it with all the reported issues isn't a good look no matter what way anyone spins it. The best thing they can do imo is have Martin (as he's 60) take it live on air (LLS/Prime Time or whatever) and I think a lot of the resistance would go. As it is, anecdotally there seems to be a fair bit of resistance.
    It's not new at all, Reid is just too nice to say we'll get round to you later means back of the queue. I really don't see the issue here at all. The 65-69 group will be starting very shortly. You either want the vaccine or you don't. If you do than you take it when offered. If for whatever reason you don't the mass vaccination system cannot suit people and you can't really pick dates or the vaccine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

1850 24 1850 is the number I think

Looking at the comments about the new HSE vaccine booking system, I wonder how many people in the 60-69 age group will have trouble in navigating the system. There will be a not-insignificant number who don't have email, or a mobile, or perhaps a PPSN. There will also be people who are simply phobic about online bookings and who struggle to get the (10-character?!!) password right. Sure, they can phone the HSE, but given how dreadful so many phone hotlines are, I just wonder. There is a huge public interest in getting maximum vaccination coverage, so all these potentially discouraged people could be an important issue.

With some younger people, when the time comes, the problem might not be computer literacy, but "couldn't be arsed", if current behaviour patterns are a guide.

Is there a case for having vaccination teams visit places of employment such as supermarkets and making it easy and convenient for, say, supermarket workers? Once you get down to the under-50s the risk calculations might warrant this.

These points are made with the objective of general risk minimisation, and are not intended to pass judgement on anyone, young or old.

Seriously, they've made it pretty straightforward to do it a number of ways, don't be a reverse Maude Flaunders looking for holes for the geriatrics at a stretch.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,524 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 11,240 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

titan18 wrote: »
    Course its a threat. Take the vaccine or else in effect.

I know of a fair few in their 60s who are debating taking it tbh so I reckon there could be a fair bit. One age group being given it with all the reported issues isn't a good look no matter what way anyone spins it. The best thing they can do imo is have Martin (as he's 60) take it live on air (LLS/Prime Time or whatever) and I think a lot of the resistance would go. As it is, anecdotally there seems to be a fair bit of resistance.

It's a straight threat and citizens don't like being threatened. Lot of people inc 60-69 are not anti vax per se but vaccine wary. I'd be one of the latter, happy to take it if all adds up. But here we have a vaccine that several states and health authorities have expressed some concerns about. If these were normal times, it'd be taken off the market as a precaution. These are not normal times, there is a shortage of vaccine, the government needs to be seen to be making progress and there is spare AZ vaccine to be used up. In these circumstances, of course 60-69 yr olds are going to look askance - why should we be asked to take this chance, no matter how small it is or isn't.

If a substantial percentage of 60-69 cohort decline this offer, then the gov has a problem when other vaccines come in. They can't argue on the one hand that these people have a higher rate of issues with Covid, but put these to back of queue whilst jabbing themselves & 20 yr olds. Won't wash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Here’s the full list of vaccination centre locations:

Sligo IT
    Galway Racecourse
    Radisson Hotel, Limerick
    Páirc Uí Chaoimh
    City Hall Cork
    MTU Campus Melbourn Building
    WIT Arena
    Aviva Stadium
    Citywest Convention Centre
    International Arena AIT, Athlone
    Helix Theatre DCU
    Letterkenny Institute of Technology
    Kilmore Hotel, Co Cavan
    Hillgrove Hotel, Co Monaghan
    Primary Care Unit, Carrick on Shannon
    Breaffy House Resort, Castlebar
    Abbey Hotel, Roscommon
    West County Hotel, Ennis
    Abbeycourt Hotel, Nenagh
    Mallow GAA Club
    Killarney Sports & Leisure Centre
    Clonakilty GAA Club
    Bantry Primary Care Centre
    Kerry Sports Academy
    Cillin Hill Conference Centre, Kilkenny
    The Clonmel Park Hotel
    Riverside Hotel Enniscorthy
    Carlow IT
    Shoreline Leisure Centre, Greystones
    Arklow Bay Hotel & Conference Centre
    Punchestown Racecourse
    Bloomfield House Hotel, Mullingar
    Simmonstown GAA Club, Navan
    Midlands Park Hotel, Portlaoise
    Fairways Hotel, Dundalk
    Clonguish GAA Club, Co Longford
    Tullamore Court Hotel
    Croke Park
    As part of the registration process people will be asked to provide their Eircode, so it is likely this will be used to ensure they are sent to a vaccination centre that is close to them.

Hurrache wrote: »
    For anyone doing it for someone else, apart from the Eircode, DOB and PPS number, have the persons GP details and either use your own phone or have them have theirs at hand for the registration verification code.

So you have to be registered with a GP in order to use the portal? Or is there a "I don't have a GP" option?

I moved back to Ireland coincidentally just before the pandemic started and haven't registered with a GP yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

So you have to be registered with a GP in order to use the portal? Or is there a "I don't have a GP" option?

I moved back to Ireland coincidentally just before the pandemic started and haven't registered with a GP yet.

Yes I watched the video and there is an option for I dont have a GP

There's a I'm not registered with a GP option you can just check.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Yes I watched the video and there is an option for I dont have a GP
    There's a I'm not registered with a GP option you can just check.

Cheers! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Can 67 year olds register today? I know it says Saturday but wondering if it actually stops you.

I wonder when the system will generate the appointments. You would imagine they will start today for appointments next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Cheers! :)

You can register for a GP by Telephone at the moment. I would act on that! Just in case anything crops up you've a point of contact :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Godot. wrote: »
    Surely our lot aren't going to restrict J&J based on age? We'll never be done if they do that.

Please not again. Politicians should impose a sense of proportion on science not be enthralled to it. The rewards from hundreds of thousands of more vaccinated people far outweighs the risks of very rare blood clots in one in a million people.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭poolboy

How have we reached a point where it's preferable for a greater number of people die from Covid unnecessarily than from a rare reaction to the vaccine that could have saved them. That's before we get into long Covid, which knowing young people suffering from it can be life changing. I just don't understand it and it's a world wide issue. Fear of criticism is crippling out response.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

poolboy wrote: »
    How have we reached a point where it's preferable for a greater number of people die from Covid unnecessarily than from a rare reaction to the vaccine that could have saved them. That's before we get into long Covid, which knowing young people suffering from it can be life changing. I just don't understand it and it's a world wide issue. Fear of criticism is crippling out response.

Yes. And that isn't even taking into consideration the huge impact lockdowns and restrictions are having on collective mental health or the longer term economic impact of prolonging these measures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Canada has announced it is continuing with unrestricted use of the AstraZeneca vaccine as the benefits continue to outweigh the risks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭crossman47

Seriously, they've made it pretty straightforward to do it a number of ways, don't be a reverse Maude Flaunders looking for holes for the geriatrics at a stretch.

We're a great nation of whingers. I got my first Pfizer jab recently at a very well organised clinic in Dublin 24. Taken on time, waited 15 mins until let go. Later I saw a woman complaining she had to wait outside. If she did, she must have turned up early and not just in time as requested. There were chairs inside for a limited number but these were for the next 15 minute slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,439 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Can 67 year olds register today? I know it says Saturday but wondering if it actually stops you.

I wonder when the system will generate the appointments. You would imagine they will start today for appointments next week?

Still loads of over 70s and medically vulnerable haven't been vaccinated.

2-3 weeks at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭crossman47

poolboy wrote: »

Its not fear of criticism, its fear of litigation. We have ambulance chasing lawyers just waiting for the first case of a clot and they'll be off to the courts. Harris made a terrible mistake over the cervical check issue by running with the mob and not robustly defending a good system. That has, in part, left an open door for these lawyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Furze99 wrote: »
    If these were normal times, it'd be taken off the market as a precaution.

It would be temporarily suspended at best. It wouldn't be taken off the market. Far more higher risk medicines that are linked to fatalities remain on the market.

The difference here is a vaccine is for somebody who is not yet sick. So the ethics are slightly different but not by all that much. Many people take medications to prevent them getting sick. They've usually an identified risk and the medication is balanced against that. Even if in some cases it can prove fatal.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Whisht Luke, whisht!

Saying nothing sometimes says the most - Emily Dickinson

Canada has announced it is continuing with unrestricted use of the AstraZeneca vaccine as the benefits continue to outweigh the risks

Covid rates in Canada are 3x ours and growing rapidly. They also have a higher % of older people, so even though they have roughly the same proportion of vaccinations complete, they have more vulnerable left to do. If we had the same rates and growth I think our decision would have been similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Canada in common sense decision making shock!

Whats wrong with this country? Aren't there loads of medications that have very low risk of serious side effects? We don't stop administering them, we just tell people of the very very low risks.

ITT people calling the AZ vaccine "unsafe". FFS! Did you win the lotto last night? Or last week, or any time in the last 50 times you did it? Do you understand what one in a million means? Would you rather die from COVID?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

Micky 32 wrote: »

Well, cases are about -95% here too (~7000 peak to ~400), and hospitals are -90% (~2000 peak to ~180).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement