Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

So you have to be registered with a GP in order to use the portal? Or is there a "I don't have a GP" option?

I moved back to Ireland coincidentally just before the pandemic started and haven't registered with a GP yet.
    If you are in the over 60s it'd be fairly unusual not to have one. There is a helpline as well.

All you need to register according to the vaccine page are the following
    - a mobile phone number
    - an email address
    - your PPS number – here's how to find your PPS number
    - your Eircode – you can find your Eircode here or you can enter your address in the registration system

EDIT: From their help page

If you cannot find your GP, or are not registered with a GP, you can choose the "I am not registered with a GP" option on the GP screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

ITT people calling the AZ vaccine "unsafe". FFS! Did you win the lotto last night? Or last week, or any time in the last 50 times you did it? Do you understand what one in a million means? Would you rather die from COVID?

Don't go on the Irish subreddit.. it's kinda frightening the amount of fear out there with AZ. Definitely not people's faults IMO as messaging wasn't great but yeah. It's a very noisy crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Covid rates in Canada are 3x ours and growing rapidly. They also have a higher % of older people, so even though they have roughly the same proportion of vaccinations complete, they have more vulnerable left to do. If we had the same rates and growth I think our decision would have been similar.

I don't think NIAC should of based their decision on current covid rates in the country. Its like them saying we'd rather longer restrictions than the risk of the AZ vaccine and that shouldn't be their decision to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Canada has announced it is continuing with unrestricted use of the AstraZeneca vaccine as the benefits continue to outweigh the risks

No surprise though as they have serious problems with supply of any vaccine. Basically a case of beggars can't be choosers.

Whats wrong with this country?

Nothing. We, and many other states, can afford a suspension of the use of AZ because it's a minor percentage of the vaccines we're using.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

is_that_so wrote: »
    It's not new at all, Reid is just too nice to say we'll get round to you later means back of the queue. I really don't see the issue here at all. The 65-69 group will be starting very shortly. You either want the vaccine or you don't. If you do than you take it when offered. If for whatever reason you don't the mass vaccination system cannot suit people and you can't really pick dates or the vaccine.

Might not be new on the dont want a particular vaccine then back of the queue but the decision for it to only be used on one particular age group is (I mean logically if it's not safe for someone who's 59, why is it safe for a 60 year old and they messed up as at the start it wasn't safe for anyone over 70). Add then that other countries are going no it's not safe for our 60 year olds, like Denmark, and I'm amazed how anyone doesn't see why people would be getting skeptical of the AZ vaccine. It being the cheapest one and all the issues around manufacturing doesn't help either.

The stick approach only works if they don't have mass refusals. If something like 20% of the 60s (and i don't know what the percentage will be but there definitely will be people refusing it) then the government has an issue as how do you leave that many people who are a higher risk unvaccinated and vaccinate less risky people instead.

Never mind, that basically threatening that one particular age group to take it or else you wait and take your chances with covid has to be legally dubious that someone is giving their consent properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

muddypuppy wrote: »
    Well, cases are about -95% here too (~7000 peak to ~400), and hospitals are -90% (~2000 peak to ~180).

Yeah it’s great, vaccinating the health care workers and a lot of the old/vulnerable in this country has made a difference already .Great to see . Shows what these vaccines are capable of especially once we get the masses are done.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Micky 32 wrote: »

How does this data show widening the gap between doses worked? It shows a reduction in all relevant disease indicators. It doesn't provide any details on the contributory factors for this reduction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Don't go on the Irish subreddit.. it's kinda frightening the amount of fear out there with AZ. Definitely not people's faults IMO as messaging wasn't great but yeah. It's a very noisy crowd.

I unsubbed from r/Ireland years ago ... a shocking crowd.

I agree on the messaging. Very poor leadership. As a parent would you say "You are not allowed outside as there is a very small chance of you catching a bug of some sort, perhaps fatal".

Turtwig wrote: »
    How does this data show widening the gap between doses worked? It shows a reduction in all relevant disease indicators. It doesn't provide any details on the contributory factors for this reduction.

Ya, we won't really know until until the next few weeks. If nothing kicks off with their reopening, its only then you know that the one dose is fine.

Furze99 wrote: »
    It's a straight threat and citizens don't like being threatened. Lot of people inc 60-69 are not anti vax per se but vaccine wary. I'd be one of the latter, happy to take it if all adds up. But here we have a vaccine that several states and health authorities have expressed some concerns about. If these were normal times, it'd be taken off the market as a precaution. These are not normal times, there is a shortage of vaccine, the government needs to be seen to be making progress and there is spare AZ vaccine to be used up. In these circumstances, of course 60-69 yr olds are going to look askance - why should we be asked to take this chance, no matter how small it is or isn't.

If a substantial percentage of 60-69 cohort decline this offer, then the gov has a problem when other vaccines come in. They can't argue on the one hand that these people have a higher rate of issues with Covid, but put these to back of queue whilst jabbing themselves & 20 yr olds. Won't wash.

The AZ vaccine is not unsafe for 60+. The clotting risk is specific to younger people, which is why the age restriction has been put in place.

NIAC were at pains to emphasise that the AZ vaccine is safe, even for under 60s, and that these risks are tiny. They are being ultra cautious because we have supply of other vaccines to cover the age groups at risk of clotting.

It is extremely unwise for someone in their 60s to refuse the AZ vaccine. According to the Oxford calculator, a 60 year old with no underlying conditions has a 1 in 1,600 chance of being hospitalised with covid, and a 1 in 12,000 chance of dying from it. NIAC stated that 1 in 1,000,000 people are likely to die from clotting associated with the AZ vaccine. We know that the vast majority of these deaths are in younger people. Huge numbers of over 60s have had AZ and the clotting case numbers are miniscule.

So in summary:

1 in 12,000 chance of dying from Covid.
    1 in 1,000,000 chance of dying from a clot from AZ.

You are at least 83 times more likely to die from covid than a clot from AZ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭.42.

Is the Blood Clotting with J&J and AZ only effecting Women?

Do we know the ratio of Male V Female who have been effected?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Russman

titan18 wrote: »
    Might not be new on the dont want a particular vaccine then back of the queue but the decision for it to only be used on one particular age group is (I mean logically if it's not safe for someone who's 59, why is it safe for a 60 year old and they messed up as at the start it wasn't safe for anyone over 70). Add then that other countries are going no it's not safe for our 60 year olds, like Denmark, and I'm amazed how anyone doesn't see why people would be getting skeptical of the AZ vaccine. It being the cheapest one and all the issues around manufacturing doesn't help either.

The stick approach only works if they don't have mass refusals. If something like 20% of the 60s (and i don't know what the percentage will be but there definitely will be people refusing it) then the government has an issue as how do you leave that many people who are a higher risk unvaccinated and vaccinate less risky people instead.

Never mind, that basically threatening that one particular age group to take it or else you wait and take your chances with covid has to be legally dubious that someone is giving their consent properly.

Not to be pedantic as I can see where you're coming from, but I don't think there was ever a safety issue with the over 70s, the restriction there was because there wasn't enough efficacy data from that age group in the phase 3 trials I think.

I agree that mass refusals would throw a spanner in the works. 100 people refusing it wouldn't be a problem to throw them to the back of the queue, but if it was to be a good percentage of the 60+, there's no way that could happen.

Klonker wrote: »
    I don't think NIAC should of based their decision on current covid rates in the country. Its like them saying we'd rather longer restrictions than the risk of the AZ vaccine and that shouldn't be their decision to make.

It is a very important factor.

If cases are low, the number of potential covid deaths in the under 60's is extremely low. Until more answers are available the potential, and I emphasise potential, is that more serious vaccine adverse events could occur in the younger groups than covid deaths with mass vaccinations. So you divert the vaccine to those groups with higher risk of covid death and lower risk of adverse vaccine effect.

In a high covid environment the benefits of the vaccine clearly outweigh the risks of vaccination for all age groups.

It is also highly likely that the restrictions on AZ vaccine will be loosened as more data about the groups at highest risk of adverse event emerges

.42. wrote: »
    Is the Blood Clotting with J&J and AZ only effecting Women?

Do we know the ratio of Male V Female who have been effected?

Both the EMA and MHRA have stated that when the vaccination profile is taken into account and normalised for there are no known risk factors such as age, gender, medical history etc. identified yet.

There's really no evidence this is going to happen beyond your speculation. As someone posted earlier they were in queue of 900 or so to register so there is an appetite for vaccination, any vaccination. Incidentally I know someone who refused it because they were booked into the Aviva, a 3 hour round trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

It is also highly likely that the restrictions on AZ vaccine will be loosened as more data about the groups at highest risk of adverse event emerges

Possibly/probably, but by the time that data comes out we could well be in a place where AZ isn't all that crucial to our rollout anymore. If we get into the back end of May and we've good supply of Pfizer etc and are steaming through the cohorts, say, doing the 45-55s, AZ is largely dead in the water here at that point IMO.

Klonker wrote: »

They kind of have to. Raind has already addressed this.

I'd just like to add a link from university of Cambridge for the uk one. It's not our situation. It's similar though and provides a nice illustration on why disease incidence rates matter.

https://wintoncentre.maths.cam.ac.uk/news/communicating-potential-benefits-and-harms-astra-zeneca-covid-19-vaccine/?utm_source=Nature+Briefing&utm_campaign=3d2a836a8c-briefing-dy-20210409&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_c9dfd39373-3d2a836a8c-43539745

Well worth the time to read imo.

Incidentally I know someone who refused it because they were booked into the Aviva, a 3 hour round trip.

I'd crawl for 3 hours to a vaccination centre to get a shot !

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Yeah it’s great, vaccinating the health care workers and a lot of the old/vulnerable in this country has made a difference already .Great to see . Shows what these vaccines are capable of especially once we get the masses are done.

Oh absolutely, not trying to claim that vaccines don't work. Just that it's easy to see the effect of a small amount of well placed vaccinations, since there is no huge difference between us and the UK in cases/hospitalizations drop, but there is in number of jabs given. And also that it's hard to see the proper effect (outside of studies) until you open back up, since lockdown will bring the cases down with or without the vaccines.

• Advertisement

Russman wrote: »
    I'd crawl for 3 hours to a vaccination centre to get a shot !
    Given there's another centre about 20 minutes away, it's bad planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

Logged on to vaccination portal just after 10, 1050 ahead of me estimated waiting time to register 12 minutes.Logged off and back again at 11,no queque not even a seconds delay registered all details no problems in a couple of minutes.I am of the opinion as i posted last night that the take up for Astra on the portal is going to be very low of the order of fifty to sixty % of the eligible cohorts

There's really no evidence this is going to happen beyond your speculation. As someone posted earlier they were in queue of 900 or so to register so there is an appetite for vaccination, any vaccination. Incidentally I know someone who refused it because they were booked into the Aviva, a 3 hour round trip.

Possibly but anecdotally I know of a good few who are considering refusing it though at this stage. If the amount I know is repeated across the country, well have a lot refusing it.

I still think best thing the government can do is have Martin take it live on air. He's in that age group and imo it would assure a lot of people of its safety. It's better than having Varadkar threaten people anyway imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Can 67 year olds register today? I know it says Saturday but wondering if it actually stops you.

I wonder when the system will generate the appointments. You would imagine they will start today for appointments next week?

Why don't you just try...?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 morebarn

Yes I’m 69 and I agree so much.
    I have registered online this morning however, as I feel I might not be called by my GP or hospital consultant.

My husband is a few months older and yesterday received his second Pffizer vaccine. Obviously we are delighted; but really this arbitrary cut off that at 70 he can’t have Astra and yet I am ok to get it, doesn’t sit well with me.

I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and as a result I use a Biological injection so my immune system is very compromised.
    But my GP is cutting off vaccines at 70 so I have no guarantee there. On his Facebook page he recommended all younger patients to use online registration.
    On inquiring from the practice nurse I was told that in May they will be doing Group 4 and Group 7. All at high risk and very high risk. As she said”looking into a crystal ball” she couldn’t reassure me that I would be called. But there was also a chance my Consultant might call me.
    Neither could be guaranteed

So I’m just making sure by registering online.

I should add that those two Groups my GP will do in May will all be with Astra, as the nurse confirmed that.

Meanwhile my sister just informs me that her friend who is a very capable and well functioning person, aged 58 but has a BiPolar Disorder., was phoned by HSE and got her Pffizer jab yesterday!
    My sister has same condition and her friend told her to contact HSE and request it now!

I just despair sometimes.

I’m very thankful to be getting any vaccine

I have been very supportive of all the measures since last year.

But I’m tired of it all now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭crossman47

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Can 67 year olds register today? I know it says Saturday but wondering if it actually stops you.

I wonder when the system will generate the appointments. You would imagine they will start today for appointments next week?

Any good reason you can't wait? Why not go along with the system?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

You are specifically asked not too and leave it to 69 year olds today .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Possibly but anecdotally I know of a good few who are considering refusing it though at this stage. If the amount I know is repeated across the country, well have a lot refusing it.

I still think best thing the government can do is have Martin take it live on air. He's in that age group and imo it would assure a lot of people of its safety. It's better than having Varadkar threaten people anyway imo.

Let him just get it in his own time, bring a camera if need be but don't make a big deal of it, any hint of it being a publicity stunt can be counterproductive.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

9,500 registered in the first hour according to the HSE.

9,000 online, 500 by phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭crossman47

morebarn wrote: »
    Yes I’m 69 and I agree so much.
    I have registered online this morning however, as I feel I might not be called by my GP or hospital consultant.

My husband is a few months older and yesterday received his second Pffizer vaccine. Obviously we are delighted; but really this arbitrary cut off that at 70 he can’t have Astra and yet I am ok to get it, doesn’t sit well with me.

I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and as a result I use a Biological injection so my immune system is very compromised.
    But my GP is cutting off vaccines at 70 so I have no guarantee there. On his Facebook page he recommended all younger patients to use online registration.
    On inquiring from the practice nurse I was told that in May they will be doing Group 4 and Group 7. All at high risk and very high risk. As she said”looking into a crystal ball” she couldn’t reassure me that I would be called. But there was also a chance my Consultant might call me.
    Neither could be guaranteed

So I’m just making sure by registering online.

I should add that those two Groups my GP will do in May will all be with Astra, as the nurse confirmed that.

Meanwhile my sister just informs me that her friend who is a very capable and well functioning person, aged 58 but has a BiPolar Disorder., was phoned by HSE and got her Pffizer jab yesterday!
    My sister has same condition and her friend told her to contact HSE and request it now!

I just despair sometimes.

I’m very thankful to be getting any vaccine

I have been very supportive of all the measures since last year.

But I’m tired of it all now.

You really should go ahead and get the AZ if thats whats offered. Its far, far better than risking Covid. Best of luck.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement