Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Per Census 2016, there's roughly 40k aged 69 so 9500 is actually really good in the first hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

lukas8888 wrote: »
    Logged on to vaccination portal just after 10, 1050 ahead of me estimated waiting time to register 12 minutes.Logged off and back again at 11,no queque not even a seconds delay registered all details no problems in a couple of minutes.I am of the opinion as i posted last night that the take up for Astra on the portal is going to be very low of the order of fifty to sixty % of the eligible cohorts

No quite sure you understand how any system works. Just because you weren't put in a virtual queue doesn't mean there weren't a load of other people registering.

The queue only kicks in when the processing capacity is reached, it doesn't just do one person at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

lbj666 wrote: »
    Let him just get it in his own time, bring a camera if need be but don't make a big deal of it, any hint of it being a publicity stunt can be counterproductive.

I disagree. I think it will make people feel a lot safer on AZ if he took it, and he's in the age group, so medically it's deemed safe for him. It might get a lot of potential refusals to be willing to take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭josip

Micky 32 wrote: »

Surprised at Luke O'Neill retweeting the Spectator.
    Wouldn't the Spectator data have had a medical origin that he could have used instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭crossman47

9,500 registered in the first hour according to the HSE.

9,000 online, 500 by phone.

About one quarter of 69 year olds. Good going.

• Advertisement

titan18 wrote: »
    I disagree. I think it will make people feel a lot safer on AZ if he took it, and he's in the age group, so medically it's deemed safe for him. It might get a lot of potential refusals to be willing to take it.
    It's not his turn. Current group is all those aged 65-69. Up to 64 is age-based after group 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

josip wrote: »
    Surprised at Luke O'Neill retweeting the Spectator.
    Wouldn't the Spectator data have had medical origin that he could have used instead?

"Good news everyone, the Tory policy is working wonderfully!".

Russman wrote: »
    I'd crawl for 3 hours to a vaccination centre to get a shot !

I would recommend walking, cycling, public transport or the car, but each to their own. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭josip

Might not be new on the dont want a particular vaccine then back of the queue but the decision for it to only be used on one particular age group is (I mean logically if it's not safe for someone who's 59, why is it safe for a 60 year old and they messed up as at the start it wasn't safe for anyone over 70). Add then that other countries are going no it's not safe for our 60 year olds, like Denmark, and I'm amazed how anyone doesn't see why people would be getting skeptical of the AZ vaccine. It being the cheapest one and all the issues around manufacturing doesn't help either.

You've got to have thresholds and cutoff points somewhere.
    Why is it ok to drive at 120 on a motorway in Ireland, but not 121. But 130 is ok in some other countries.
    Why can someone who is 18 years old and 0 days vote, but someone who is 17 years and 364 days old can't?
    We've accepted these cutoff points in our lives for generations.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭sd1999

morebarn wrote: »
    Yes I’m 69 and I agree so much.
    I have registered online this morning however, as I feel I might not be called by my GP or hospital consultant.

My husband is a few months older and yesterday received his second Pffizer vaccine. Obviously we are delighted; but really this arbitrary cut off that at 70 he can’t have Astra and yet I am ok to get it, doesn’t sit well with me.

I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and as a result I use a Biological injection so my immune system is very compromised.
    But my GP is cutting off vaccines at 70 so I have no guarantee there. On his Facebook page he recommended all younger patients to use online registration.
    On inquiring from the practice nurse I was told that in May they will be doing Group 4 and Group 7. All at high risk and very high risk. As she said”looking into a crystal ball” she couldn’t reassure me that I would be called. But there was also a chance my Consultant might call me.
    Neither could be guaranteed

So I’m just making sure by registering online.

I should add that those two Groups my GP will do in May will all be with Astra, as the nurse confirmed that.

Meanwhile my sister just informs me that her friend who is a very capable and well functioning person, aged 58 but has a BiPolar Disorder., was phoned by HSE and got her Pffizer jab yesterday!
    My sister has same condition and her friend told her to contact HSE and request it now!

I just despair sometimes.

I’m very thankful to be getting any vaccine

I have been very supportive of all the measures since last year.

But I’m tired of it all now.
    The cuttoff may seem arbritrary but there needs to be a definitve cut off point. For instance if people who were 69 said "Well we're only a year younger than the cut off so an exception should be made for us". Then people who are 68 say "Well we're only a year younger than all those 69 year olds who just got Pfizer" and the cycle keeps going down. On a human level, yes the cut-offs do seem a bit ridiculous but they're the only way to do it on an administrative level. Same argument for BMI regarding Cohort 4 and 7. If you're BMI is 40 you're in 4 but if it's 39 your in 7. There's very little material difference and both are pretty much at the same risk but the cut off needs to be there. In these cases there will always be people on the edge of either side and it is unfortunate but there's not much that can be done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

Last week was a new high for vaccinations - 135,333 shots completed.

Previous high 129546 the week before, and 126,000 odd the week before that. lets see where we go.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

sd1999 wrote: »
    The cuttoff may seem arbritrary but there needs to be a definitve cut off point. For instance if people who were 69 said "Well we're only a year younger than the cut off so an exception should be made for us". Then people who are 68 say "Well we're only a year younger than all those 69 year olds who just got Pfizer" and the cycle keeps going down. On a human level, yes the cut-offs do seem a bit ridiculous but they're the only way to do it on an administrative level. Same argument for BMI regarding Cohort 4 and 7. If you're BMI is 40 you're in 4 but if it's 39 your in 7. There's very little material difference and both are pretty much at the same risk but the cut off needs to be there. In these cases there will always be people on the edge of either side and it is unfortunate but there's not much that can be done.
    I would have thought the thinking would be more "When am I getting A vaccine?"!

trellheim wrote: »
    Last week was a new high for vaccinations - 135,333 shots completed.

Previous high 129546 the week before, and 126,000 odd the week before that. lets see where we go.
    Too much good news - some people may need to go lie down!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭sd1999

It's not his turn. Current group is all those aged 65-69. Up to 64 is age-based after group 7.

I suppose he could confirm that when his time comes, he'll be getting AZ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

there's not much that can be done
    bull. Phone them up and keep phoning people, be the squeaky wheel.

He doesn't get a choice so he'll get what he's given on the day

He doesn't get a choice.

He doesn't get a choice so he'll get what he's given on the day

He's the Taoiseach. If he asks for a particular one, he'll get a particular one tbf.

He's the Taoiseach. If he asks for a particular one, he'll get a particular one tbf.

No, that's not how it works. And if it did work like that, it wouldn't be a bit fair.

Doubt he would tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

He'd be out on his ear in 5 minutes if he tried that on. He won't of course he's not stupid.

Doubt he would tbh
    Awful optics as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Widescreen

He should be shown on TV getting the AZ vaccine , no excuses, that's his cohort.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

crossman47 wrote: »
    Any good reason you can't wait? Why not go along with the system?

I can wait, im not in that group, I was just curious if we were seeing the same issues as the “healthcare” portal, where anyone could sign up.

Hurrache wrote: »
    No, that's not how it works. And if it did work like that, it wouldn't be a bit fair.

Just be added to golfgate, beacon hospital teachers, coombe kids etc. I don't trust him at all so I could easily see it happening. Imo, it would help to assure those skeptical of the AZ vaccine for him to do it imo. We don't have a sizable anti vax population but I think there'll be a fair few anti AZ people so it would help imo.

I mean he was hoping to go the US and get vaccinated for Patricks Day, so him getting a particular one wouldn't be out of character for him imo.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Great that so many registered already, you’d also think a lot of 69 years old may already be done with underlying conditions. Hopefully they do start getting the jabs next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

My husband is a few months older and yesterday received his second Pffizer vaccine. Obviously we are delighted; but really this arbitrary cut off that at 70 he can’t have Astra and yet I am ok to get it, doesn’t sit well with me.

Over 70's CAN get AZ, when the rollout started there wasn't enough data about AZ efficacy for that age group so they decided to use only mRNA vaccines. They did later update the info to say AZ could be given to over-70s, but at that point the rollout was in progress and for logistical reasons they decided not to change the process.

I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and as a result I use a Biological injection so my immune system is very compromised.
    But my GP is cutting off vaccines at 70 so I have no guarantee there. On his Facebook page he recommended all younger patients to use online registration.
    On inquiring from the practice nurse I was told that in May they will be doing Group 4 and Group 7. All at high risk and very high risk. As she said”looking into a crystal ball” she couldn’t reassure me that I would be called. But there was also a chance my Consultant might call me.

According to this link, there is no evidence that Biologics put you at higher risk for Covid - https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coron...ne-system.html

The definitions of cohort 4 and 7 are too vague when it comes to immunosuppression and it seems to be varying between different consultants whether they are putting people forward for those cohorts or not. St. James Rheumatology dept told me they are only putting people on Rituximab on the list.

If you're in the age group that can get AZ soon, then you should go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Sarah1916

Great to see that 25% of 69 year olds have signed up in the first hour. I can imagine that there is another large % of this age group with underlying issues so they are already vaccinated. It will be interesting to see the % signed up by the end of the day.

I think Micheal Martin is not silly enough to 'skip the queue' and go and get the AZ vaccine live on air. He may help to persuade some of the AZ skeptics to get it but on the other hand there would be outrage by many more that he skipped the queue. Hopefully it is only a matter of weeks before they reach the 60 year olds anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

PMBC wrote: »
    Just registered. Had to wait 3 minutes as 900 odd were ahead of me at 10.03. Registration screen appeared at 10.06 so very short wait and completed in a few minutes; relatively easy and *seemed glitch free
    *I have a problem with my Caps lock and I think the system continued to display 'Caps lock on' when I was on lower case. However I got it eventually.

Simon Coveney quoted today as saying no urgency in registering and registering quickly won't mean a quicker vaccination date - but I assume if register as a 69 year old today you will get a vaccination date ahead of a 68 year old who registers when it opens to that age?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭brick tamland

crossman47 wrote: »
    About one quarter of 69 year olds. Good going.

probably more than a quarter of elligable. Many already done with existing illness and Ive heard of plenty who have managed to get a shot off GPs (maybe leftover or whatever)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement