Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

Simon Coveney quoted today as saying no urgency in registering and registering quickly won't mean a quicker vaccination date - but I assume if register as a 69 year old today you will get a vaccination date ahead of a 68 year old who registers when it opens to that age?

Yes, but that's based on age.

If the 68 year old registers at 10am tomorrow and the 69 year old registers an hour later, the 69 year old gets an appointment first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Simon Coveney quoted today as saying no urgency in registering and registering quickly won't mean a quicker vaccination date - but I assume if register as a 69 year old today you will get a vaccination date ahead of a 68 year old who registers when it opens to that age?

Yeah, no idea how registrations move to appointments with priority etc. Would hope texts will start flowing today / overnight for early next week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Some interesting observations in this pre-print about vaccination in convalescents:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.04.11.21255153v1.full.pdf+html

From the abstract:
    SARS-CoV-2 infection also led to increased numbers of double negative B memory cells, which are described as a dysfunctional B cell subset. This effect was reversed by SARS-CoV-2 vaccination, providing a potential mechanistic explanation for the vaccination-induced reduction in symptoms in patients with “Long-COVID”.

Those rogue B cells are a source of antibodies that can attack the host itself (auto-antibodies) leading to autoimmune disorders.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Not necessarily. If your vaccine centre caters for a population with a lower average age people in the lowers 60s could find themselves getting vaccinated before the latter who are being managed elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Hmmzis wrote: »
    Some interesting observations in this pre-print about vaccination in convalescents:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.04.11.21255153v1.full.pdf+html

From the abstract:

Those rogue B cells are a source of antibodies that can attack the host itself (auto-antibodies) leading to autoimmune disorders.

Only read this paper this morning myself. Really interesting stuff in the context of the COVID19 sequelae we're seeing.

• Advertisement

Will Cohort 4 continue in MVC's with Pfizer? Those who got cancelled?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭Economics101

I seem to have gotten a bit of stick for something I posted a few hours ago (#1166). For example:
    Are you sure you've got absolutely every negative point you can think of in there? Most 60-69 are far from feeble and well able to do things for themselves. There's also no pressure on them to do it on the date they can book.

I never implied over 60s were "feeble" and appreciate that most of them can easily cope with online registration. However the huge public interest in getting vaccination to as near 100% as possible motivated my concern. I have come across people who are not feeble either in mind or body, but who do not get on-line regularly. People on Boards are not necessarily representative of everyone.

Whinging? I've been accused of this. Asking a few critical questions is not whinging. And I have a certain scepticism of the organisational capabilities of the HSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

Hurrache wrote: »
    No quite sure you understand how any system works. Just because you weren't put in a virtual queue doesn't mean there weren't a load of other people registering.

The queue only kicks in when the processing capacity is reached, it doesn't just do one person at a time.
    Many thanks for pointing out my lack of system knowledge,The chance of overload i would think is almost nil judging by the amount of people in the queue.
    I logged on and off a few times since and every time instant access.I still predict there will be very low uptake,time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

lukas8888 wrote: »
    Many thanks for pointing out my lack of system knowledge,The chance of overload i would think is almost nil judging by the amount of people in the queue.
    I logged on and off a few times since and every time instant access.I still predict there will be very low uptake,time will tell.

In the first hour, 9.5k registered. I don't see this as low at all. Plus, a % of that age bracket may have already been vaccinated too with the higher incidence of pre-existing conditions making them even more vulnerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,841 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

funnydoggy wrote: »
    In the first hour, 9.5k registered. I don't see this as low at all. Plus, a % of that age bracket may have already been vaccinated too with the higher incidence of pre-existing conditions making them even more vulnerable.

It suggests that people in their late sixties are anxious to get vaccinated. All the talk about people passing up on AZ and waiting for another vaccine later in the year is probably hugely overstated.

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote: »
    If you are in the over 60s it'd be fairly unusual not to have one. There is a helpline as well.

I'm not, just thinking ahead. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 3mom4

Does anyone know of any GPs who are actually vaccinating cohort 4 at the moment or plan to do so?

I am beyond frustrated at being ignored by my GP's practice at the moment and completely unsure of what to do :( Thinking I need to find a new one but wondering if this is the case with all surgeries?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Champagne Sally

3mom4 wrote: »
    Does anyone know of any GPs who are actually vaccinating cohort 4 at the moment or plan to do so?

I am beyond frustrated at being ignored by my GP's practice at the moment and completely unsure of what to do :( Thinking I need to find a new one but wondering if this is the case with all surgeries?

My husband got the call this morning from his GP, he's 50 with type 2 diabetes and he'll be vaccinated first dose of Pfizer end of next week. We're in Wicklow.
    I am so relieved :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 3mom4

My husband got the call this morning from his GP, he's 50 with type 2 diabetes and he'll be vaccinated first dose of Pfizer end of next week. We're in Wicklow.
    I am so relieved :)

Brilliant! Delighted something is happening with GPs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

3mom4 wrote: »

Yeah mine has just started, they're currently fitting them in around over-70s, using them as backup lists for end of day leftovers etc. They expect to be finished first doses for over-70s in the next week and will then concentrate on cohort 4 alongside the second doses for the older age groups.

Some GPs are still a few weeks behind on cohort 3, either from lack of supply or other internal issues. Also, some GPs are not signing up to vaccinate cohort 4 or 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

1huge1 wrote: »
    Good news indeed, I think we all needed it.

My dad is 67 and immunocompromised. He was supposed to get AZ in a MVC on Saturday but never got the appointment in the end. Fingers crossed he will get it in the next few days and he is off his arthritis medicine at the moment (in anticipation of getting the vaccine) and the pains are quite bad. Every day longer he has to wait, the pain gets worse so you can understand my frustration.

Hopefully the J&J issue will be sorted in the next few days and we still get the 600k as expected.

Hi all,

Just an update for anyone that is interested, my Dad got an appointment with his GP for next Wednesday to have the Pfizer vaccine, he is delighted, would of happily taken AZ but obviously prefers the shorter times between the two doses.

Edit: Seems very in line with the last few posts in this thread re GP's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Apogee

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Skygord

Paul Reid just now said there are 420,000 in the cohort 60-69 years old that will be given AstraZeneca, via MVC's.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,240 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Skygord wrote: »
    Paul Reid just now said there are 420,000 in the cohort 60-69 years old that will be given AstraZeneca, via MVC's.

Really? These people have ears you know and can read and also vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

So group 6 starts today with the portal and group 7 to start late April / early May

• Advertisement

Furze99 wrote: »

Imagine being offered a vaccine that offers close to 100% protection against severe disease, a disease that would kill over 2% of them, and a vaccine with a minuscule adverse reaction rate in their age group. How awful for them

Paul Reid confirms that we received the first J&J delivery of 14,000 doses and they're in storage

Acting CMO has given HSE clarification on NIAC advice - AZ not to be given to anyone under 60 despite NIAC letter referencing cases where benefits outweigh risks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Acting CMO has given HSE clarification on NIAC advice - AZ not to be given to anyone under 60 despite NIAC letter referencing cases where benefits outweigh risks

Shame really but it's done now. Get on with it now HSE :D

Furze99 wrote: »

As I posted in response to you earlier, a 60 year old with no underlying conditions has:

- a 1 in 12,000 chance of dying from Covid
    - a 1 in 1,000,000 chance of dying from a clot after the AZ vaccine.

Covid is 83 times more likely to kill you.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,841 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Imagine being offered a vaccine that offers close to 100% protection against severe disease, a disease that would kill over 2% of them, and a vaccine with a minuscule adverse reaction rate in their age group. How awful for them

Yep - I think it's getting forgotten here that 69 year olds are 'far' more concerned about contracting Covid-19 than having any worries about the AstraZeneca vaccine. Also, they've nearly been prisoners in their own homes for over a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Apogee wrote: »

I've no idea how we're getting 80% of people done by end of June if the plan has us still doing group 7 by early June.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Apogee

1400 housebound done to date.

Most of Cohort 3 completed by end of Week of 19th.

titan18 wrote: »
    I've no idea how we're getting 80% of people done by end of June if the plan has us still doing group 7 by early June.
    It's first doses by end of june, not fully vaccinated. Groups run concurrently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

For those who were wondering about MM and his vaccine

https://twitter.com/MichealLehane/status/1382691116668096518?s=19

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement