Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

I notice the majority of the 605,000 J&J doses are backended to June like most of the 550,000 extra Pfizer doses. Gonna be weird going from a situation of endless moaning about lack of supply to drowning in the stuff :pac:

Come June lots of post like "they want me to go for my vaccine tomorrow but I dont want to until next Tuesday" id imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Colm Henry just said at the briefing there's no reason why someone who has previously experienced clots should not get AZ as they're different clots from regular ones

I think it'd be wrong to force someone to take it if their own GP deemed it riskier. Whatever about the persons own personal choice, if the GP deems it medically necessary that they need one over the other, that should be taken into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭noplacehere

Acting CMO has given HSE clarification on NIAC advice - AZ not to be given to anyone under 60 despite NIAC letter referencing cases where benefits outweigh risks

Hang on, do I have to be re-jabbed then? I had dose 1 as a very high risk patient. And we aren't mentioned in that slide at all (only the healthcare workers). Do they just mean new jabs?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Hang on, do I have to be re-jabbed then? I had dose 1 as a very high risk patient. And we aren't mentioned in that slide at all (only the healthcare workers). Do they just mean new jabs?
    Only new jabs

• Registered Users Posts: 18,841 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Russman wrote: »
    Of course ! I hadn't thought of that. The 60s are, from a purely projecting point of view, largely irrelevant to the lower age cohorts as AZ is almost exclusively for them. The 50s and lower are depending on the vulnerable 18-59s to get finished first.
    Must be a logistics nightmare all the same for those tasked with juggling it all into place.

It sounds like by May that we will have AZ vaccination centres and Pfizer ones running at the same time (though it's possible the really big places might be able to vaccinate with both vaccines on the same day).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

No your grand.

They were asking could a consent form etc be possible if someone u60 wanted AZ in the general rollout. Looks like a no on that front

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

titan18 wrote: »
    I think it'd be wrong to force someone to take it if their own GP deemed it riskier. Whatever about the persons own personal choice, if the GP deems it medically necessary that they need one over the other, that should be taken into account.
    Dr. Henry said he would expect GPs to encourage AZ

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Dr. Henry said he would expect GPs to encourage AZ

They can encourage it sure but at the same time they know the persons medical history, Henry doesn't. Much like any medication, GP will recommend some medications over others due to conditions the patient may have. I know my GP has done that anyway and told me outright not to even use some as it could cause complications on other things, so I'd expect same should apply here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭josip

It will be interesting to see what %age of 69 year olds register for the vaccine.
    It will give an indication of the upper bounds of expected vaccine uptake.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

NY Times are saying that the J&J pause may continue for a week to 10 days.

CDC noted that the pause would have a small effect on US rollout but one member said that the "weight of the burden of a global responsibility" is on their shoulders.

EMA obviously may follow CDC lead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Skygord

Furze99 wrote: »
    Really? These people have ears you know and can read and also vote.

Just sharing the info for those that may have missed the briefing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Apogee

Reposting this from Zara King's tweet - easier to see estimated cohort sizes.
    550240.jpg

JTMan wrote: »
    NY Times are saying that the J&J pause may continue for a week to 10 days.

CDC noted that the pause would have a small effect on US rollout but one member said that the "weight of the burden of a global responsibility" is on their shoulders.

EMA obviously may follow CDC lead.

EMA has already been looking into it since last week.

FDA press conference was that they hoped it would be a number of days.

Officially the rollout hasn't been paused by the EMA. J&J have paused shipments and its up to countries if they use the J&J stock that arrived this week.

Come June lots of post like "they want me to go for my vaccine tomorrow but I dont want to until next Tuesday" id imagine

You'd have to hope the booking system would have slot selection. Otherwise you will have a high rate of missed appointments.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

You'd have to hope the booking system would have slot selection. Otherwise you will have a high rate of missed appointments.

Absolutely. By July when people in 30s and 40s are being done you will have lots of (domestic) family holidays clashing with dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Health11

Hello, I am a healthcare worker who missed the portal deadline on March 26th. What do i do now to get a vaccine?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Health11 wrote: »
    Hello, I am a healthcare worker who missed the portal deadline on March 26th. What do i do now to get a vaccine?

Speak to your line manager.

Absolutely. By July when people in 30s and 40s are being done you will have lots of (domestic) family holidays clashing with dates.

Good to know people have their priorities right - world changing pandemic, but I do want to go tho that mobile home in Ballybunion

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Speak to your line manager.

Not possible in this instance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Not possible in this instance.

Why not? Only other option is to wait until your age group is called.

Good to know people have their priorities right - world changing pandemic, but I do want to go tho that mobile home in Ballybunion

The UK system has slot options, people aren't just given a time. If they can do that so can we.

Life can get in the way of medical appointments. People have caring responsibilities, work commitments, might not have transport, and yes even holiday periods where they might not be at home.

Bit nasty to dismiss these kind of things when there are easy answers to make sure the system is flexible.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

The UK system has slot options, people aren't just given a time. If they can do that so can we.

Life can get in the way of medical appointments. People have caring responsibilities, work commitments, might not have transport, and yes even holiday periods where they might not be at home.

Bit nasty to dismiss these kind of things when there are easy answers to make sure the system is flexible.

I heard Paul Reid say that you can’t change the venue or vaccine given but you will have an option to change the date

• Registered Users Posts: 18,841 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I would try ringing the HSE themselves. As a healthcare worker, you are still a priority case to receive a vaccine....they surely would be able to fit you in somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭VG31

We should be doing everything we can to encourage high uptake. Simply having a fixed date/time and if you miss it, tough luck attitude is completely counterproductive. Of course there will be people who forget or don't have their priorities right but there are plenty of legitimate reasons also.

I would happily take a vaccine at 3 or 4 am if offered but I still couldn't absolutely guarantee that I would be able to go if given a fixed date and time.

I am not saying having slots inst desirable, but the priority is shots in arms, not facilitating every whim out there

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I hope that when Colm Henry comes out with statements like this

“ The vaccination programme, north and south, is not intended to replace public health measures”” that he doesn’t mean this as permanent post vaccination.

I am not saying having slots inst desirable, but the priority is shots in arms, not facilitating every whim out there

It's not desirable, it's essential.

For example in Galway there is one MVC (at the racecourse). This is where the 60s to 69s will be done. For people in some parts of Connemara this will mean a 100+ mile round trip. They won't all have cars/drive. There is very limited public transport, any public transport will drop someone in the city and there's another 30 min trip out to the racecourse. You can't just tell these people, here's your slot, take it or leave it. As another poster said that kind of attitude is completely counterproductive.

Strazdas wrote: »
    I would try ringing the HSE themselves. As a healthcare worker, you are still a priority case to receive a vaccine....they surely would be able to fit you in somewhere.

I just did. They said they will announcing a new healthcare portal in the coming weeks. I am just wondering if I can contact my GP and arrange one?

• Advertisement

"CureVac currently anticipates completing data submission in time to file for conditional approval of CVnCoV in Q2 2021"

https://www.curevac.com/en/2021/04/15/curevac-announces-financial-results-and-business-updates-for-the-fourth-quarter-and-full-year-of-2020/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement