Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,841 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

26,000 69 year olds registered today so far

That's a great start for the portal.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭SJFly

It's not punishing. It's just take it or leave it. No one can pick and choose, that would lead to massive delays in the rollout. Everyone is being offered a vaccine that is effective and safe for them. If you don't want it, then sit it out until everyone else has their turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

My husband got the call this morning from his GP, he's 50 with type 2 diabetes and he'll be vaccinated first dose of Pfizer end of next week. We're in Wicklow.
      I am so relieved :)

Delighted for him and you.

However, in my 60+ circle, I have numerous ppl with Type-2 Diabetes. Not one has been called for a vaccine..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Pfizer CEO told CNBC people will likely need a third dose of a COVID19 vaccine within 12 months of getting fully vaccinated.

A yearly top up so?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

TomOnBoard wrote: »
      Delighted for him and you.

However, in my 60+ circle, I have numerous ppl with Type-2 Diabetes. Not one has been called for a vaccine..

It depends on the result of Hba1c

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

KrustyUCC wrote: »
      A yearly top up so?

Could be, they still don't know.

It's all being monitored as part of the follow up on trial participants. 6 months in there isn't much change in anti body levels so far.

It's a wait and see really.

Could end up like the flu vaccine that older people would be recommended to get yearly but still too early to say

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

A yearly top up so?
      Probably some may need it. One line of thinking on the SARS-CoV-2 virus is that it will eventually become like the flu'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Pfizer CEO told CNBC people will likely need a third dose of a COVID19 vaccine within 12 months of getting fully vaccinated.

More indications that boosters are likely to occur. Interesting that the timeframe is "within 12 months" and I wonder if that implies boosters later this year.

It is good to hear that the EU are talks to purchase up to 1.8 billion more doses of Pfizer-Biontech over the next two years. At least some planning is occurring for the boosters.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

A yearly top up so?

Possibly it'll largely depend on what the virus is doing. Probably while the pandemic is raging worldwide yearly will be wiser to keep pace. Hopefully though once the pandemic is well under control a booster every 5 to 10 years would suffice.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
      It depends on the result of Hba1c

OK. so, it's basically 'out of control' Type-2 that would trigger a call, rather than simply Type-2 per se? If so, that makes sense. Thanks for clarification.

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

OK. so, it's basically 'out of control' Type-2 that would trigger a call, rather than simply Type-2 per se? If so, that makes sense. Thanks for clarification.

Yes basically . Two members of my family are very controlled Type 1 diabetics
      They are in cohort 7 because they look after themselves !!

Turtwig wrote: »
      Possibly it'll largely depend on what the virus is doing. Probably while the pandemic is raging worldwide yearly will be wiser to keep pace. Hopefully though once the pandemic is well under control a booster every 5 to 10 years would suffice.
      If the work on other types pf therapeutics continues apace we may not even need that.

Could be, they still don't know.

It's all being monitored as part of the follow up on trial participants. 6 months in there isn't much change in anti body levels so far.

It's a wait and see really.

Could end up like the flu vaccine that older people would be recommended to get yearly but still too early to say

I can't imagine how we can get away from annual (or more frequent) boosters to deal more with variants/mutations that will be hounding the 1st World for years to come, than with a decline in efficacy over time, given that folks in 2nd & 3rd World countries are not likely to have anything like the same level of access to vaccines.

This plague will be with us for years and will change in virulance and transmissability ov er time as ever-stronger strains survive and propagate. Hopefully, between updated vaccines, some controls on international travel and possibly most crucial, impeoved treatments for the effects of resultant disease, we will learn to live with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I can't imagine how we can get away from annual (or more frequent) boosters to deal more with variants/mutations that will be hounding the 1st World for years to come, than with a decline in efficacy over time, given that folks in 2nd & 3rd World countries are not likely to have anything like the same level of access to vaccines.

This plague will be with us for years and will change in virulance and transmissability ov er time as ever-stronger strains survive and propagate. Hopefully, between updated vaccines, some controls on international travel and possibly most crucial, impeoved treatments for the effects of resultant disease, we will learn to live with it.
      Coronavirus is nothing like the flu, mutates much slower. Thus, vaccinations don't need to be annual. Cillian de Gascun reckons it'll be a once every three years sorta job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Coronavirus is nothing like the flu, mutates much slower. Thus, vaccinations don't need to be annual. Cillian de Gascun reckons it'll be a once every three years sorta job.

Unfortunately some love dwelling on the misery of this possible restrictions continuing indefinitely, maybe it makes them feel relevent on the forums or something. Lets keep the restrictions going in between jabs eh :rolleyes:

Seriously? Within the 1st year, have we not had multiple variants? I'm thinking of

Original Wuhan
      Kent variant
      South African variant
      Brazil variant
      Possible Breton variant
      Possible Creteil variant
      B.1.427 and B.1.429 in California

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭crossman47

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
      Is that not the equivalent of forcing a vaccine on someone? I don't think people should be refusing but no one should have to be uncomfortable getting it for fear of some punishment, like being put to last in the queue.

Its not punishment, its a consequence of refusing what you are offered.

Seriously? Within the 1st year, have we not had multiple variants? I'm thinking of

Original Wuhan
      Kent variant
      South African variant
      Brazil variant
      Possible Breton variant
      Possible Creteil variant
      and the other 750,000 variants that you've never heard of!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Original Wuhan
      Kent variant
      South African variant
      Brazil variant
      Possible Breton variant
      Possible Creteil variant
      There's been thousands of variants. None of the ones you've listed are vaccine evading.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Micky 32 wrote: »
      Unfortunately some love dwelling on the misery of this possibly continuing indefinitely, maybe it makes them feel relevent on the forums or something. Lets keep the restrictions going in between jabs eh :rolleyes:

People love the misery of a pandemic that has brought illness, death and financial ruin.

Could you have posted anything any bit less pathetic?

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

Original Wuhan
      Kent variant
      South African variant
      Brazil variant
      Possible Breton variant
      Possible Creteil variant

Yes but most are covered by the existing vaccine. They’re not mutating “enough” to need a different vaccine.

I know there are some that they are not sure of yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭Cork2021

is_that_so wrote: »
      and the other 750,000 variants that you've never heard of!

Jesus don’t scare the lad!!

Cork2021 wrote: »
      Jesus don’t scare the lad!!
      Sure, they've had no effect!

Turtwig wrote: »
      People love the misery of a pandemic that has brought illness, death and financial ruin.

Could you have posted anything any bit less pathetic?

You are very naive. The forum is full of them. I had a poster once re reg and his first post was to attack my positive posts, so you know what you can do with your “pathetic “:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Micky 32 wrote: »
      You are very naive the forum is full of them. I had a poster once re reg and his first post was to attack my positive posts, so you know what you can do with your “pathetic “:rolleyes:

So what, somebody has a different point of view. It doesn't mean they want the pandemic to continue. Attack the post not the poster, so to speak. This incessant, moaning about other posters loving misery is tedious at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭josip

26,000 69 year olds registered today so far

If this keeps going the same way as Cohort 2, then by the end of the week all 61,000 of the 37,000 69 year olds in the country will have registered.

So what, somebody has a different point of view. It doesn't mean they want the pandemic to continue. Attack the post not the poster, so to speak. This incessant, moaning about other posters loving misery is tedious at best.

Lol It’s very predictable the posters that usually reply. So you’re ok with a re reg coming on just to specially attack positive posts? That figures :rolleyes:

josip wrote: »
      If this keeps going the same way as Cohort 2, then by the end of the week all 61,000 of the 37,000 69 year olds in the country will have registered.
      People only have one age! Cohort 2 was under HSE control and subject to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

The big bad variants are so effective at evading the vaccines that 0.008% of 66 million vaccinated people in the US got infected, with just 7% of those ending up in hospital.

We're doomed guys

• Advertisement

There's been thousands of variants. None of the ones you've listed are vaccine evading.

My response was a challenge to your categorical statements that "Coronavirus is nothing like the flu, mutates much slower. Thus, vaccinations don't need to be annual.". There is no evidence for your comment that it " mutates much slower". Within a year, we've had a number of such mutations, and there are likely to be others out there, particularly in countries that have limited access to vaccines, that have not been identified yet. Thus far, the current vaccines appear to remain effective against the known variants, although the French ones are still somewhat of an unknown quantity. At any time, that could change, hence my observation that we are unlikely to get a 3-year window as you suggest.

You may well be right, though and I hope you are. But there's so much about this that we don't know, so a strategy that hopes for the best while planning for the worst would appear to me to be mosr appropriate.

This discussion has been closed.
    Advertisement