Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Fairly certain Paul Reid said u60s done by start of June in the briefing today, thats what I heard anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

is_that_so wrote: »
    At least 26,000 say yes already. It's been HSE policy all along: nobody chooses their vaccines and you'll have to wait if you don't take what's offered. You can't run a national programme based on personal whims.

And you can't run a national vaccination program if some of those in that vulnerable age group don't want to take the vaccine on offer either !

This is a big problem and has been getting worse ever since it was first flagged about the clotting issues in the last week .
    More and more reports of vulnerable people refusing their jab or needing a lot of persuasion which frankly is not what any vaccinator wants to be having to do .
    Education , yes, persuasion , no .
    Telling people to take it or go to the back of the queue is not the way to deal with it . :(
    You may be happy with AZ and people here, but not everybody is, as is evidenced by those so far who have refused the AZ vaccine or are not signing up to the portal .

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Delighted for him and you.

However, in my 60+ circle, I have numerous ppl with Type-2 Diabetes. Not one has been called for a vaccine..

Have you not got your vaccination yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Have you not got your vaccination yet ?

I think it was confirmed after that post that only “ Diabetes and HbA1C ≥58mmol/mol” is in the current cohort. All other people with diabetes are in cohort 7

nibtrix wrote: »
    I think it was confirmed after that post that only “ Diabetes and HbA1C ≥58mmol/mol” is in the current cohort. All other people with diabetes are in cohort 7

Yes . I know , thank you, nibtrix .
    I also know all the ins and outs of the high risk groupings as I work in the sector
    I would imagine all HCWs would tbh .

Reason is, he was claiming he was a hcw last night .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Great thread. Keep it going.
    I wonder if the subreddit is where those with the thread bans have gone!
    2 interesting anecdotes :
    1. I have heard of several people in the 65-69 age bracket being called by GP this week - spare vaccine be here in 45 minutes. Pfizer of course.
    2. A work colleague was telling me his grandad in Germany in his 90s being vaccinated this week only. I think we are doing better than we think.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

How long will rescheduling the roadmap take to incorporate the AZ restrictions take and for us to be jabbing at our full capacity again?

France, Spain and Germany seem to have rejigged theirs very quickly. France for instance jabbed 472,063 yesterday (the equivalent of 34,460 here)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Jesus, will we ever escape this doom and gloom threat of lockdowns in this country unless one emmigrates. Is there actually anything to look forward to???? Do the f*****g vaccines work or not??

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/health/taoiseach-says-he-cant-be-definitive-there-wont-be-another-lockdown-next-winter-40318747.html

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Is1ldur

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Jesus, will we ever escape this doom and gloom threat of lockdowns in this country unless one emmigrates. Is there actually anything to look forward to???? Do the f*****g vaccines work or not??

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/health/taoiseach-says-he-cant-be-definitive-there-wont-be-another-lockdown-next-winter-40318747.html

Stop reading these types of articles. They are not news, just tragedy click bait. They picked out one line he said, under pressure, and made that the basis for a whole article. Basically, the Indo, Dublinlive, the journal, etc. Are all just out for clicks and outrage.

Is1ldur wrote: »
    Stop reading these types of articles. They are not news, just tragedy click bait. They picked out one line he said, under pressure, and made that the basis for a whole article. Basically, the Indo, Dublinlive, the journal, etc. Are all just out for clicks and outrage.

You are right, they just don’t quit :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,467 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

That ****ing Variants word used again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

is_that_so wrote: »
    At least 26,000 say yes already. It's been HSE policy all along: nobody chooses their vaccines and you'll have to wait if you don't take what's offered. You can't run a national programme based on personal whims.

I agree that a publicly-funded vaccination programme can't be operated like in a supermarket where ppl can just go in and pick a vaccine they like, on a personal whim. Such a vaccination programme obviously needs to source its vaccines from a number of sources to ensure continuity and speed of supply.

However, such a programme also depends on the public being satisfied that they will get equivalent benefit regardless of the vaccine they end up with. For a variety of reasons, AZ (and possibly J&J) has become tarnished and, whether rightly or wrongly, some ppl have fears about taking AZ. The message, again whether rightly or wrongly, is being communicated in a way that some will see as AZ being 'dumped' on a particular section of the population, i.e. 60-69 y.o. I don't accept that such fears amount to 'personal whims'; they are genuine, should be treated as such, and appropriate communication /messaging devised as a matter of urgency to allay those fears.

Messaging that says 'take it or you'll get nothing until after everyone else is vaccinated' is not helpful, particularly when just a couple of weeks ago the message was that age is the greatest risk factor for severe Covid illness/death.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    That ****ing Variants word used again

There will be an obsession of a new word coming soon, watch this space…..

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

They work. What we don't yet know is how we'll they work against certain variants. Current indicators are they prevent severe disease. It's still too early to tell.

The Taoiseach can't say some snafu won't happen. Reality is nobody knows. Vaccines are our way out of this mess. The rest of world will still be deep in this mess. That presents a potential complication. In that we just don't know what's going to happen. I'm optimistic but it's a reserved optimism.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I went to the north yesterday and got mine (Pfizer thank god!!).

I'm 46 and was able to book it online. I could have gotten it 3 weeks ago but I didn't have my NHS number to book it online (I still have bank accounts etc in the north and am registered at my parents house so I took full advantage).

The centre was set up brilliantly and from I arrived at the door I was processed, injected then had to wait 15 minutes. In total I was there about 20 minutes. Volunteers everywhere guiding people in the right direction.

Felt a bit sick last night at 9 p.m so took 1 paracetamol and 1 ibuprofen and went to bed. Woke about 5 minutes ago and I'm feeling grand....just a touch thirsty!!

Couldn't wait here any longer. My good mate rang me yesterday and his parents were vaccinated in Meath yesterday also. Both of them aged 72. I hope to god the rollout starts here very quickly.

On a plus note i know a very old couple one in a bad shape with serious heart failure. They had the first jab a few weeks ago. Their son brought the virus into the house. He ended up fairly sick in bed but his parents had very little symptoms. They think the vaccine saved the old couples lives..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Clicking on those articles and then sharing them drives up the clicks even further, which ensures those types of articles will be more commonplace as they are deemed popular and will drive up traffic on the website resulting in more money for them. Vicious cycle. Btw I didn't click on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

More on the Pfizer booster comments in the FT here.

- Likely third dose somewhere between six and 12 months and then from there, there will be an annual revaccination.
    - White House has said "current thinking is that certainly those who are more vulnerable may have to go first".
    - “Protection goes down by time but still in the six months it’s extremely, extremely high,” said Pfizer.

Looks like we will be having another vaccination programme starting with the most vulnerable again but this time with a single shoot and it might occur towards the end of this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

JTMan wrote: »

- Likely third dose somewhere between six and 12 months and then from there, there will be an annual revaccination.
    - White House has said "current thinking is that certainly those who are more vulnerable may have to go first".
    - “Protection goes down by time but still in the six months it’s extremely, extremely high,” said Pfizer.

Looks like we will be having another vaccination programme starting with the most vulnerable again but this time with a single shoot and it might occur towards the end of this year.

Nothing new in that.

They're still monitoring the trial participants and will for a long time. I believe every 6 months is the check in time with them for anti body levels etc

It's all very fluid, still lots of "coulds" , "maybes" etc. Nobody knows anything for certain. After 6 months protection levels are still as it says extremely high there isn't much drop at all looking at the studies that have been done, if they stay that high in the trial participants it's unlikely we'd need another rollout by year end, next year is possible.

Should it become yearly it's possible it might only be for vulnerable age groups also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

There will be an obsession of a new word coming soon, watch this space…..

What's this latest buzzword gonna be??

• Advertisement

CDC will meet on 23 April to consider J&J. Hence, pause might be for at least another week.

Fauci has said that he hopes the decision will be "soon".

However, NY Times journalist says "the J&J pause now looks indefinite".

https://twitter.com/SherylNYT/status/1382872399901773826

It's all very fluid, still lots of "coulds" , "maybes" etc. Nobody knows anything for certain.

Yeah, true that there is a lot of guessing and nobody knows for certain but the booster picture is gradually getting clearer. The While House are planning for boosters. The EU are planning significant additional purchases too. Timeframes are now starting to emerge and planning in the US has reached the level of who will get it first. Top US experts are predicting boosters will happen.

Yeah, true that there is a lot of guessing and nobody knows for certain but the booster picture is gradually getting clearer. The While House are planning for boosters. The EU are planning significant additional purchases too. Timeframes are now starting to emerge and planning in the US has reached the level of who will get it first. Top US experts are predicting boosters will happen.

Nobody is saying they won't happen but current protection levels don't support the theory of by year end. They'd need to take a rapid drop between 6 & 12 months.

Annual may well become a thing but there's going to be a big difference between the length of protection in an elderly vulnerable person & those in the younger age groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

I'm not a naysayer or being naive regarding needing boosters.

But don't forget these big pharma companies will all want us to get a booster, at the end of the day, they exist to make money. So the more needles in arms, the more money they make.

The head of the jenner institute, the Irish guy, was on a podcast with Luke O'Neill recently and he reckoned only the vulnerable would need boosters,

Paul Reid has been reported as saying they won't be starting general population under 60 until June. I'm not sure he knows what's going on half the time though.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/under-60s-must-wait-until-june-for-covid-19-vaccination-says-hse-1.4538488

Coming back to this, the Independent running it as the main headline, interesting to note that its only them running it as a headline.

Anyway I've had a read through it and to be honest Paul Reid would have been better off saying nothing. Firstly he says it was always their intention for June but that the new rollout plan changed things. Well if its always been June I don't see how this new plan changed things if its still June.

Secondly it's caveated with the usual, maybes, ifs and buts. J&J brings it all forward again and he says it himself & they still need to clarify the additional Pfizer supply he said they don't know when they'll arrive.

He'd been as well to say look this is the next 4 weeks, it's over 60s & the medically vulnerable and have said nothing more after that, by opening his mouth with so many caveats he's given 2 of the worst journalists in the Independent (Eilish O’Regan and Gabija Gataveckaitė) a headline to run with.

For all he knows the plan could change again with J&J & I'd expect it to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Honestly I don't really think a booster is any issue really.
    Hospital numbers and those in ICU are going to be crushed by the vaccine, because of herd immunity and the fact that the vaccine won't have enough people to spread through.
    Of course there's a risk of variants but Covid will become just like any other illness I think.
    Once everyone has been offered a vaccine, its time to get back to normal and open everything up. Bring. It. On.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Even posing that question is an exercise in futility. Nothing is certain. At the start of this pandemic, if you'd asked anyone if they were certain there'd be a vaccine, nobody could have said yes. In fact, the answer would probably have been a no. If you pose the question "are you certain a meteor won't hit the earth and wipe us all out," you can't say with certainty "no." Or yes. I hate MM, but I can't blame him for his answer. It's a no win situation when you're asked that kind of question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

One should also exercise caution when a CEO is looking for more sales! It's unknown, just as whether it'll be like a flu jab approach or a full scale programme is unknown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Do ye think there'll be a short break in registrations or is it running full steam ahead? As in, would 64 year olds be able to register on Tuesday?

If it's unknown just disregard this :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement