Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Nothing new in that.

They're still monitoring the trial participants and will for a long time. I believe every 6 months is the check in time with them for anti body levels etc

It's all very fluid, still lots of "coulds" , "maybes" etc. Nobody knows anything for certain. After 6 months protection levels are still as it says extremely high there isn't much drop at all looking at the studies that have been done, if they stay that high in the trial participants it's unlikely we'd need another rollout by year end, next year is possible.

Should it become yearly it's possible it might only be for vulnerable age groups also.
    Ultimately, I don't think many (if any) will have an issue with taking a booster. If society is open and we are back to normal (more or less), taking an annual shot to ensure continuation of normailty will be a very small price to pay. And, similar to the flu jab, early indicators appears to suggest that it will be vulnerable and older cohorts who will be the priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Do ye think there'll be a short break in registrations or is it running full steam ahead? As in, would 64 year olds be able to register on Tuesday?

If it's unknown just disregard this :)
    There'll probably be a break of a couple of weeks while they'll get going on the 65-69 group first.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Ultimately, I don't think many (if any) will have an issue with taking a booster. If society is open and we are back to normal (more or less), taking an annual shot to ensure continuation of normailty will be a very small price to pay. And, similar to the flu jab, early indicators appears to suggest that it will be vulnerable and older cohorts who will be the priority.

There's no issue with a booster and its worth talking about and preparing for in the future. I have issue though with the speculation regarding timelines v protection levels. Protection levels holding very strong at least 6 months in (for Pfizer I'm referencing), would take an almighty drop in efficiency to require a 3rd jab in the 6 month timeframe that some news outlets report.

Many variables still ultimately at play and I believe it'll become like the flu shot for the older and vulnerable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

There's no issue with a booster and its worth talking about and preparing for in the future. I have issue though with the speculation regarding timelines v protection levels. Protection levels holding very strong at least 6 months in (for Pfizer I'm referencing), would take an almighty drop in efficiency to require a 3rd jab in the 6 month timeframe that some news outlets report.

Many variables still ultimately at play and I believe it'll become like the flu shot for the older and vulnerable
    Agree completely. Whilst it is good to see the EU being proactive in ordering next-gen vaccines/boosters, I think some have seen the headline and assumed current vaccines are going to be ineffective by years end and that everyone will need a booster. That remains to be seen and, based on the emerging evidence, I would even say unlikely for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Agree completely. Whilst it is good to see the EU being proactive in ordering next-gen vaccines/boosters, I think some have seen the headline and assumed current vaccines are going to be ineffective by years end and that everyone will need a booster. That remains to be seen and, based on the emerging evidence, I would even say unlikely for the moment.

Yeah, agree. And even if there are variants, there is so much research going in to these at the moment, they can presumably adjust the vaccines to counteract most of the variants. I think the Valneva vaccine does something different in that it hits the underlying protein, rather than the spike (which I understand is the variant piece). Which will mean it is effective against every variant.

Apologies if I got the last part wrong, I am not a pharmacist :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Anyone know if there's a hotline number to contact HSE regards vacination that was cancelled this week because of the AZ shambles?
    Was due yesterday, cancelled by text, under 60 with underlying illness.
    A friend who in same boat except over 60 got text for new appointment on Tues next...
    Anyone I can contact to enquire?
    TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Zipppy wrote: »
    Anyone know if there's a hotline number to contact HSE regards vacination that was cancelled this week because of the AZ shambles?
    Was due yesterday, cancelled by text, under 60 with underlying illness.
    A friend who in same boat except over 60 got text for new appointment on Tues next...
    Anyone I can contact to enquire?
    TIA
    HSE Live?

https://www2.hse.ie/services/contact-the-hse/contact-the-hse.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭crossman47

mfceiling wrote: »
    Couldn't wait here any longer. My good mate rang me yesterday and his parents were vaccinated in Meath yesterday also. Both of them aged 72. I hope to god the rollout starts here very quickly.

Have you not noticed it has started? The note re the pair aged 72 is a hint.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I'm not a naysayer or being naive regarding needing boosters.

But don't forget these big pharma companies will all want us to get a booster, at the end of the day, they exist to make money. So the more needles in arms, the more money they make.

The head of the jenner institute, the Irish guy, was on a podcast with Luke O'Neill recently and he reckoned only the vulnerable would need boosters,
    In fairness to the Pfizer CEO he said we needed to start "planning" for annual boosters, he wasn't definitive that we would need one.

Pfizer have been superb throughout this, and they are obviously pretty good at thinking ahead. If we do need annual boosters, we don't want to repeat the slow ramp-up we've had this year.

Even if we don't need one for a few years, the West should seriously look at investing into mass mRNA manufacturing facilities to help the rest of the world during Covid, and prepare for whatever pandemic hits us in the future.

hmmm wrote: »
    In fairness to the Pfizer CEO he said we needed to start "planning" for annual boosters, he wasn't definitive that we would need one.

Pfizer have been superb throughout this, and they are obviously pretty good at thinking ahead. If we do need annual boosters, we don't want to repeat the slow ramp-up we've had this year.

Even if we don't need one for a few years, the West should seriously look at investing into mass mRNA manufacturing facilities to help the rest of the world during Covid, and prepare for whatever pandemic hits us in the future.

Completely agree - while I am sure this thing isn't a matter of getting a massive tank and starting mixing, we really need to be ready for a sudden ramp up as needed.

I think the pharma industry will have learned from this though - and it is probably one of the most optimised industry in the world.

They will be ready I suspect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Said it a few months back re boosters, I genuinely wouldn’t mind a monthly top up to get out of this crap.

Eventually if they can reduce transmission then the virus might just die out. If not the vaccines mean it becomes manageable.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

hmmm wrote: »

Moderna has started trials of a dual booster for flu and Covid. Both really ideally need to be given in the September-October range, so will be interesting to watch. I’d assume Pfizer is doing the same.

Great to see such positivity about things. Covid numbers, vaccines, all going the right way.
    We'll be out of this by the end of the summer, if not sooner.
    Great thread - keep the good news coming.
    Happy Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Kumejima

Great to see one of my old parish priests in the paper last week at the ripe old age of 96 setting a good example by getting his vaccine in front of the paper's photographer to inspire others to do the right thing.

He was in the paper again this week. They ran a glowing obituary for him.

Let's hope his sacrifice will not be in vain

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Yeah we need to plan with the assumption for boosters. Last thing we want is to impose additional restrictions in winter due to a vaccination bottleneck. If they're not needed Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

What's this latest buzzword gonna be??

I’ll give you a hint. Something that helps your car stop ( spelt differently but sounds the same) and something McD’s have as an alternative to sitting down and eating. Then put the 2 words together :D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Widescreen

Would love to be positive and have just had one dose of the vaccine no one wants about two weeks ago and so far so good!

However, we had a"meaningful xmas" that proved meaningless! We are still paying for that four months later! Some decision that was!

There is too much talk of opening this, opening that again at the moment , the case numbers and deaths are high still no matter what way it is spun. I want things back to normal ASAP believe me and I don't think I could stomach being told to go back to another lockdown in October

However, as so few have been vaccinated here I don't think we can think of intercounty travel and other things like shops/pubs open until at least 80% have two doses . Virus will just rip through us again otherwise.

I would rather be cautious and then open up hopefully by Aug/Sept and stay open.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I’ll give you a hint. Something that helps your car stop ( spelt differently but sounds the same) and something McD’s have as an alternative to sitting down and eating. Then put the 2 words together :D:pac:

Boulder-delivery :pac::D;)

Widescreen wrote: »
    Would love to be positive and have just had one dose of the vaccine no one wants about two weeks ago and so far so good!

However, we had a"meaningful xmas" that proved meaningless! We are still paying for that four months later! Some decision that was!

There is too much talk of opening this, opening that again at the moment , the case numbers and deaths are high still no matter what way it is spun. I want things back to normal ASAP believe me and I don't think I could stomach being told to go back to another lockdown in October

However, as so few have been vaccinated here I don't think we can think of intercounty travel and other things like shops/pubs open until at least 80% have two doses . Virus will just rip through us again otherwise.

I would rather be cautious and then open up hopefully by Aug/Sept and stay open.

But even 1 dose basically reduces the deaths, hospitalisations and ICU cases to practically zero. This has been the main driver since day 1.

January was terrible but at that stage, a handful of doses had been administered and none of the vulnerable people had them. Now, most of these have them.

While I agree caution is needed, once we reach the point where the health service can return to its normal dysfunction, then its time for everything to open up. The virus won't just "rip through us" when people have been vaccinated. That just won't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

crossman47 wrote: »
    Have you not noticed it has started? The note re the pair aged 72 is a hint.

Considering the radio last week was saying all over 70's are vaccinated and they're doing the over 60's it's fair to say it's still incredibly slow here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Kumejima wrote: »
    Great to see one of my old parish priests in the paper last week at the ripe old age of 96 setting a good example by getting his vaccine in front of the paper's photographer to inspire others to do the right thing.

He was in the paper again this week. They ran a glowing obituary for him.

Let's hope his sacrifice will not be in vain

Guess what? Up to 30,000 people are going to die in Ireland within a year of getting a covid vaccine, a few thousand within a month of getting it.

And that is perfectly normal, as thats our usual death rates. This vaccine isn't a cure for death.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭crossman47

mfceiling wrote: »
    Considering the radio last week was saying all over 70's are vaccinated and they're doing the over 60's it's fair to say it's still incredibly slow here.

Slow perhaps. Incredibly slow - no.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Serious uptake from 69 year olds yesterday with 30,000+ registered. Take into account that age group is already partially covered by the high risk cohort then I’d say we’ll have 85-90% uptake which is fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Serious uptake from 69 year olds yesterday with 30,000+ registered. Take into account that age group is already partially covered by the high risk cohort then I’d say we’ll have 85-90% uptake which is fantastic.

Absolutely fantastic stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Widescreen wrote: »

Inter county travel is already happening, and having shops open would be no different to the packed supermarkets we already have. If we don’t open till Aug/Sept we’ve thrown away the summer, and by then we’re going to see the natural rise of respiratory illness, and it’ll be hyped into another wave and lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Widescreen

But even 1 dose basically reduces the deaths, hospitalisations and ICU cases to practically zero. This has been the main driver since day 1.

January was terrible but at that stage, a handful of doses had been administered and none of the vulnerable people had them. Now, most of these have them.

While I agree caution is needed, once we reach the point where the health service can return to its normal dysfunction, then its time for everything to open up. The virus won't just "rip through us" when people have been vaccinated. That just won't happen.

Hopefully your right, but I think May is too early for re openings currently being mentioned and there is an element of the calendar dictating the openings schedule rather than the actual situation on the ground with the virus. Virus is so dangerous, remember the first surge in Italy and that virus was no where near as transmissible as current variants we are lead to believe. Caution has to be the byword for another while I think.

Impressive given the lack of AZ this week.

Would have been an excellent week with it

https://twitter.com/COVID19DataIE/status/1383017254967779329?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

Much better than expected on Wednesday, after AZ appointments were cancelled

https://twitter.com/covid19dataie/status/1383017254967779329?s=21

Much better than expected on Wednesday, after AZ appointments were cancelled

https://twitter.com/covid19dataie/status/1383017254967779329?s=21

Pleasantly surprised to be honest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

The one piece of caution would be that anyone over 65 could actually sign up yesterday, and you would assume there will be some 65-68 year old that decided to sign up yesterday. So you cannot really assume everyone that signed up yesterday is 69.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement