Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Russman

godzilla89 wrote: »
    Perspective is needed too, we are vaccinating close too 200,000 a week now? and 2,000 a week are getting infected, most of them are asymptomatic, as hospitalisations are still plummeting daily, added to that over 1,000,000 have been vaccinated first dose and 242,000 have natural immunity

We are being far too cautious now, opening up will not turn us into Italy.

Eh ??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Not much difference now in the proportions vaccinated in EU countries, bar a couple of laggards. Hungary and Malta have been buying extras.

https%3A%2F%2Fd1e00ek4ebabms.cloudfront.net%2Fproduction%2F108a9018-c2f2-43aa-be0a-11dcdb7c9fff.png?fit=scale-down&source=next&width=700

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Russman

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    The one piece of caution would be that anyone over 65 could actually sign up yesterday, and you would assume there will be some 65-68 year old that decided to sign up yesterday. So you cannot really assume everyone that signed up yesterday is 69.

Was it not only the 69s who could sign up yesterday ? followed by the 68s today, 67s tomorrow etc ?
    Unless of course there was an IT glitch which is possible I suppose !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

https://twitter.com/irelandvaccine/status/1383016839027040256?s=21

More than 1 in 5 aged 16+ have had their first shot. YEOW!

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Kumejima

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Guess what? Up to 30,000 people are going to die in Ireland within a year of getting a covid vaccine, a few thousand within a month of getting it.

And that is perfectly normal, as thats our usual death rates. This vaccine isn't a cure for death.

But its not meant to be a cause of death, either.

Like in this guys case.

Now of course these two events could be COMPLETELY unrelated. Maybe most 96 year old deaths don't occur after weeks if not months of being bedridden and waiting for the end.

Maybe most of them are hale and hearty enough to be up and about getting their photograph taken by the papers on a Monday and are dead on a Friday. Maybe thats how most people 95+ go out.

Maybe you're the kind of guy who can eat in a dodgy curry house and suffer explosive diarrhea 12 hours later and think "Hmm, what could have brought than on out of the blue?"

If conspiracy theorists impose a twisted logic or pattern out of completely random events, most of you guys here are coincidence theorists.

There is a cause and effect which is staring you right in the face, but you put it down to chance. You're so invested in one reality ( vaccines are our saviour), that any negative evidence to the contrary is just dismissed even if its clear as day.

Can't you admit that there might be a link between this man being in fine fettle for 96 years right up to the day of his vaccination and then punching out 3-4 days later? Nothing flagging? Really?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,842 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Not much difference now in the proportions vaccinated in EU countries, bar a couple of laggards. Hungary and Malta have been buying extras.

https%3A%2F%2Fd1e00ek4ebabms.cloudfront.net%2Fproduction%2F108a9018-c2f2-43aa-be0a-11dcdb7c9fff.png?fit=scale-down&source=next&width=700

That's actually a sign the EU procurement is working well. If EU countries were competing against each other, that chart would be all over the place with huge discrepancies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Widescreen wrote: »
    Hopefully your right, but I think May is too early for re openings currently being mentioned and there is an element of the calendar dictating the openings schedule rather than the actual situation on the ground with the virus. Virus is so dangerous, remember the first surge in Italy and that virus was no where near as transmissible as current variants we are lead to believe. Caution has to be the byword for another while I think.

Why though? Lets be realistic - by the end of this month, all the vulnerable age groups will be vaccinated. Yes we need to be cautious - I am not suggesting we re-open night clubs and let 500 unvaccinated 18-25 years olds in - but continuing a lock down once all the vulnerable age groups and people will underlying health conditions have got it, is just ridiculous.

While I appreciate there are people with vulnerable kids, etc - there were always these. We can at very least open everything up to outdoor activities, and NPHET have already said there is no issue with fully vaccinated people meeting up indoors.

We simply can't keep our society locked down forever - the financial hit has to be considered here too given the pressure for funding in the health service, etc. The money has to come from some where.

By the end of June, there will be more people killed weekly in road accidents than Covid - we don't just block the roads.

Strazdas wrote: »
    That's actually a sign the EU procurement is working well. If EU countries were competing against each other, that chart would be all over the place with huge discrepancies.

Yep and Hungary can hang on to their Sputnik V, thank you very much!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,842 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Yep and Hungary can hang on to their Sputnik V, thank you very much!

Yes, isn't there talk now that they were sent dodgy batches and not the actual stuff that was peer reviewed in the studies?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Kumejima wrote: »
    But its not meant to be a cause of death, either.

Like in this guys case.

Now of course these two events could be COMPLETELY unrelated. Maybe most 96 year old deaths don't occur after weeks if not months of being bedridden and waiting for the end.

Maybe most of them are hale and hearty enough to be up and about getting their photograph taken by the papers on a Monday and are dead on a Friday. Maybe thats how most people 95+ go out.

Maybe you're the kind of guy who can eat in a dodgy curry house and suffer explosive diarrhea 12 hours later and think "Hmm, what could have brought than on out of the blue?"

If conspiracy theorists impose a twisted logic or pattern out of completely random events, most of you guys here are coincidence theorists.

There is a cause and effect which is staring you right in the face, but you put it down to chance. You're so invested in one reality ( vaccines are our saviour), that any negative evidence to the contrary is just dismissed even if its clear as day.

Can't you admit that there might be a link between this man being in fine fettle for 96 years right up to the day of his vaccination and then punching out 3-4 days later? Nothing flagging? Really?

What you are displaying is confirmation bias. You're looking at one particular case without much detail on it and are extrapolating things that cannot be extrapolated from it. I'd let the medical people examine the exact cause of death.

That said, it's common for people of a certain age to die due to their age, bedridden or not.

• Advertisement

Strazdas wrote: »
    Yes, isn't there talk now that they were sent dodgy batches and not the actual stuff that was peer reviewed in the studies?

There is all sorts of talk about the clinical trial being manipulated and the like. I am a 0% conspiracy theorist but I would not trust the Russians for 1 second in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Russman wrote: »
    Was it not only the 69s who could sign up yesterday ? followed by the 68s today, 67s tomorrow etc ?
    Unless of course there was an IT glitch which is possible I suppose !

They asked only 69 year olds to register yesterday in order to not crash the system, but there was nothing stopping 65-68 year olds signing up. It opened for the full cohort yesterday.

As an example, my 65 year old mother registered this morning (she was registering my 68 year old father and just decided to sort her own at the same time)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Impressive given the lack of AZ this week.

Would have been an excellent week with it

https://twitter.com/COVID19DataIE/status/1383017254967779329?s=19

This is great, we need to continue on this trajectory, if we start hitting 35k doses a week, we’ll be able to have a pretty relaxed summer

But that is what you did - you picked 1 sample, imposed a twisted logic to twist it in to something it isn't.

How many more per 100/100,000 vaccines given to 90+ year olds back up this claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Hmmzis wrote: »
    What you are displaying is confirmation bias. You're looking at one particular case without much detail on it and are extrapolating things that cannot be extrapolated from it. I'd let the medical people examine the exact cause of death.

That said, it's common for people of a certain age to die due to their age, bedridden or not.

People in their 70s die from COVID - ah sure they were on the way out anyway.

Someone in their mid 90s dies after getting a vaccine - cut down in their prime.

Am I doing this right?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Valhallapt wrote: »
    This is great, we need to continue on this trajectory, if we start hitting 35k doses a week, we’ll be able to have a pretty relaxed summer

I'd be hoping for more than that :P

• Registered Users Posts: 18,487 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Widescreen wrote: »
    I would rather be cautious and then open up hopefully by Aug/Sept and stay open.

I have to ask, what is your profession? Martial status?

Its a valid question, because it is easy to be cautious when the bills are paid and you have people to talk to in the evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,242 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Great to see such positivity about things. Covid numbers, vaccines, all going the right way.
    We'll be out of this by the end of the summer, if not sooner.
    Great thread - keep the good news coming.
    Happy Friday.

Don't believe everything you read or hear. Take your news from multiple sources, weight it up, think for yourself and make your own mind up. Cast a cold eye...

Hmmzis wrote: »

Ah jayzis.

Ok, let me rephrase that. I think it it is safe to assume that getting the vaccine and the subsequent side effects almost certainly killed this man, while leaving a small window open for just coincidental bad timing and he was due to die that week anyway.

A view any objective human being would take given the timeline of events.

Do you really beg to differ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I can't be the only one skeptical of a parish priest in Ireland (96!) being vaccinated as late as April? How many active priests are over 90 and how in gods name would they not have been identified in their community as the vulnerable age groups for vaccination?

If he was in his 70s I wouldn't be as skeptical. 96 is pushing the credibility barrier.

Sources would be nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

This is hilarious:

Bhutan sat on coronavirus vaccines for months, awaiting auspicious rollout date
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2021/04/14/bhutan-vaccines/
    For months, Bhutan sat on hundreds of thousands of doses of AstraZeneca’s coronavirus vaccine, waiting for the stars to align.

Despite receiving a supply of vaccines in January, the small Himalayan kingdom didn’t begin immunizing its population until March 27, a date that was selected through astrological consultations with Buddhist monks.

But once that auspicious date arrived, Bhutan made up for lost time. In less than two weeks, the country administered first doses to more than 93 percent of eligible adults, according to its Ministry of Health.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

I really dislike the British media, but they did pile pressure on to get every jab delivered into an arm ASAP, forcing the government there to open up 24 hour jab centres.

We’re now entering a phase where large scale deliveries are about to happen, we need to start putting pressure on now.

Let’s not sit on stockpiles of vaccine as we get setup for its roll out, keep pressure on the government to move heaven and earth so that as soon as a vaccine arrives into Ireland it’s in someone’s arm 24 hours later.

No matter what it costs, it’ll be cheaper than not doing it.

Turtwig wrote: »
    I can't be the only one skeptical of a parish priest in Ireland (96!) being vaccinated as late as April? How many active priests are over 90 and how in gods name would they not have been identified in their community as the vulnerable age groups for vaccination?

If he was in his 70s I wouldn't be as skeptical. 96 is pushing the credibility barrier.

Sources would be nice.

Nuacht TG4 have his funeral cortege. Last weeks Kerryman has the photo

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭noplacehere

Ah jayzis.

Ok, let me rephrase that. I think it it is safe to assume that getting the vaccine and the subsequent side effects almost certainly killed this man, while leaving a small window open for just coincidental bad timing and he was due to die that week anyway.

A view any objective human being would take given the timeline of events.

Do you really beg to differ?

No they wouldn't.

Over Easter my grandmother age 97 was out walking on the Friday. Had two of her sons visiting her (there are lovely pictures). Had a small fall on Saturday morning. Died early Sunday morning. She went downhill very fast and just didn't bounce back.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Yep. Sorry don't believe it. I hope you can understand why.

Turtwig wrote: »
    Yep. Sorry don't believe it. I hope you can understand why.

Sure I do, because, as with the conspiracy theorists you so happily mock, you won't even entertain the idea of opening yourself to facts that contradict your worldview.

I'm slipping into mockery myself here so let me be serious.

We all want the same thing - we all want to keep our population happy and healthy and alive. Its just people on your side of the aisle seem to have this implicit trust in the vaccines that people on my side of the aisle cannot share.

Its real simple. There are no long term studies showing these are safe. Full stop.

So to me this entire vaccination program is collective insanity. At best you vaccinate people over 70 who are robust enough to withstand the side effects but you don't give it to the old and the frail, nor the young who are at no fatal risk of covid.

I am genuinely aghast at the enthusiasm for what is essentially an experimental drug.

You should be able to provide a link so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Sure I do, because, as with the conspiracy theorists you so happily mock, you won't even entertain the idea of opening yourself to facts that contradict your worldview.

I'm slipping into mockery myself here so let me be serious.

We all want the same thing - we all want to keep our population happy and healthy and alive. Its just people on your side of the aisle seem to have this implicit trust in the vaccines that people on my side of the aisle cannot share.

Its real simple. There are no long term studies showing these are safe. Full stop.

So to me this entire vaccination program is collective insanity. At best you vaccinate people over 70 who are robust enough to withstand the side effects but you don't give it to the old and the frail, nor the young who are at no fatal risk of covid.

I am genuinely aghast at the enthusiasm for what is essentially an experimental drug.

What you have just said doesn't add up to your previous point. You came into this thread aparantly driven by concern about a priest who died shortly after a vaccine and now your concern is long term effects.

It sounds like you have an idealogical pre disposition against vaccines. You are incoherently throwing every bit of negativity against the wall hoping something will stick with someone. People who are much smarter than you, who have spent their whole lives studying this, are recommending population wide vaccination.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Why though? Lets be realistic - by the end of this month, all the vulnerable age groups will be vaccinated. Yes we need to be cautious - I am not suggesting we re-open night clubs and let 500 unvaccinated 18-25 years olds in - but continuing a lock down once all the vulnerable age groups and people will underlying health conditions have got it, is just ridiculous.

While I appreciate there are people with vulnerable kids, etc - there were always these. We can at very least open everything up to outdoor activities, and NPHET have already said there is no issue with fully vaccinated people meeting up indoors.

We simply can't keep our society locked down forever - the financial hit has to be considered here too given the pressure for funding in the health service, etc. The money has to come from some where.

By the end of June, there will be more people killed weekly in road accidents than Covid - we don't just block the roads.
    Brilliant post and I agree completely with everything you've said. However, in replying to that poster, I think you have touched upon a nascent issue - that there is a section of society who have been conditioned into thinking Covid is the be all and end all. That it is, and should remain, our singular focus in society. That no Covid death is acceptable.
    I am not in any way trying to belittle the threat of Covid but, once most of the population have been vaccinated, that threat becomes almost negligible. Unfortunately, however, we know that there will still be deaths from the disease, and people will have to accept that. In that sense, there will need to be a recalibration of the moral compasses of some I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I’ll give you a hint. Something that helps your car stop ( spelt differently but sounds the same) and something McD’s have as an alternative to sitting down and eating. Then put the 2 words together :D:pac:
    I think I deciphered your riddle! :D That word is already quite prominent, and expected. I guess it's just another word for the media to cling onto as we approach the end of this

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement