Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,487 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Valhallapt wrote: »
    I really dislike the British media, but they did pile pressure on to get every jab delivered into an arm ASAP, forcing the government there to open up 24 hour jab centres.

We’re now entering a phase where large scale deliveries are about to happen, we need to start putting pressure on now.

There really is far too much acceptance of poor performance these days, and we constantly see the KPI's creeping back with very little outcry. In January people were talking about the rollout ramping up in March and April, now it is May and June, soon it will be July and August and then we will be told that we can look forward to maybe getting our lives back in September or October.

There is such a disassociation with the effects of these lockdowns, we just get told that it will be another few months as if that is no big deal, but to hundreds of thousands of people it is a big deal, its a ****ing massive deal.

Are far as I am concerned the vaccine rollout should be the single most important thing happening in this country, the government ain't got **** to do but be on it. So why do we keep hearing people patting themselves on the back for such underwhelming numbers? Over 40's can get a vaccine tomorrow up North and we are cheering because 69 year olds are finally allowed to book an appointment? 96 year priests only getting jabbed last week? As Roy Keane would say, do me a favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Champagne Sally

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I’ll give you a hint. Something that helps your car stop ( spelt differently but sounds the same) and something McD’s have as an alternative to sitting down and eating. Then put the 2 words together :D:pac:

I give up. Is it Breakthrough? Do I win a prize?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

With the portal open for 65-69 I think the comms on the next steps are actually quite poor. I would expect them to start scheduling appointments almost instantly with a purpose built IT system. The injections are starting early next week apparently so not sure why they havnt advised when the appointments will be scheduled.

I know they wanted to give everyone a few days but even scheduling the 69 year olds would be a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

I think I deciphered your riddle! :D That word is already quite prominent, and expected. I guess it's just another word for the media to cling onto as we approach the end of this

Micky posted a twitter thread about it a few days ago. Personally to people I know, I'm warning them that there'll be a huge increase in stories of "vaccine breakthrough infections" but not to worry.

The thread he posted was very good. Micky, do you have it handy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

funnydoggy wrote: »
    This is hilarious:

Bhutan sat on coronavirus vaccines for months, awaiting auspicious rollout date
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2021/04/14/bhutan-vaccines/

Interestingly, the king pledging to wait until everyone else got a vaccine before him, was seen as helping the high uptake as people viewed getting the vaccine as helping to protect the king.
    Don't think that approach would work for Micheal and Leo, people would delay getting the vaccine out of spite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Micky posted a twitter thread about it a few days ago. Personally to people I know, I'm warning them that there'll be a huge increase in stories of "vaccine breakthrough infections" but not to worry.

The thread he posted was very good. Micky, do you have it handy?
    I really don't see the surprise here. Was this not inevitible? For example Pfizer is 95% efficacious, so there is always the remaining 5%...for breakthroughs to occur. No big deal, risk is tiny, life moves on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,853 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    With the portal open for 65-69 I think the comms on the next steps are actually quite poor. I would expect them to start scheduling appointments almost instantly with a purpose built IT system. The injections are starting early next week apparently so not sure why they havnt advised when the appointments will be scheduled.

I know they wanted to give everyone a few days but even scheduling the 69 year olds would be a start.

From what I heard though, most people who register on the portal will be given an appointment fairly quickly. It looks like the actual appointment comes at short notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

crossman47 wrote: »
    Slow perhaps. Incredibly slow - no.

8.6% of the population fully vaccinated isn't incredibly slow? Just slow. Ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Champagne Sally

Just wondering if anyone else got a call from their GP and told their vaccine appointment would be the following week and they would get a text with the details. How long did it take between the call and the text? Call received here yesterday but still no sign of the text, which could be completely normal but I just don't know. I thought other posters might know. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 44 JMR46

mfceiling wrote: »
    6.7% of the population fully vaccinated isn't incredibly slow? Just slow. Ok.

If you want to talk about fully vaccinated Northern Ireland are at 16%, not a million miles ahead.

They've taken a different approach as I'm sure you're aware to go with more first doses initially so you can't fully compare the 2. Anyway we've had this debate a million times on this thread.

So yes slow but not incredibly slow IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,853 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Just wondering if anyone else got a call from their GP and told their vaccine appointment would be the following week and they would get a text with the details. How long did it take between the call and the text? Call received here yesterday but still no sign of the text, which could be completely normal but I just don't know. I thought other posters might know. :confused:

I've heard of quite a few people getting a text at short notice (e.g. the day beforehand), so I wouldn't be worrying just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

50k registrations between yesterday and lunch time today on the portal.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭josip

Strazdas wrote: »
    Yes, isn't there talk now that they were sent dodgy batches and not the actual stuff that was peer reviewed in the studies?

That was the Slovaks across the river.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/08/world/europe/slovakia-coronavirus-russia-vaccine-sputnik.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

65 to 69 vaccinations will start around mid week and will take 3 weeks to complete according to RTE News earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Strazdas wrote: »
    From what I heard though, most people who register on the portal will be given an appointment fairly quickly. It looks like the actual appointment comes at short notice.

I registered yesterday and I think it stated I would get 3 - 7 days notice of my appointments.......I'd happily take less!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,245 ✭✭✭joeysoap

mfceiling wrote: »
    8.6% of the population fully vaccinated isn't incredibly slow? Just slow. Ok.

I’m over 70 and vulnerable (by their own website). My neighbours are all vaccinated . My wife ( who will register shortly (67) is the one of the few at work not vaccinated at her place of work. Depends on who your doctor is. Some are well organized, some aren’t. That’s the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Merkel got first dose of AZ today. Not really news but shur.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Ah it is to be fair. Good to see her leading by example with the AZ reputation struggling!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

godzilla89 wrote: »
    Probably throwing down the anticoagulants as we speak :D

They'd exacerbate the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,648 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Need to get that onto the news headlines to help with AZ skepticism here.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

There really is far too much acceptance of poor performance these days, and we constantly see the KPI's creeping back with very little outcry. In January people were talking about the rollout ramping up in March and April, now it is May and June, soon it will be July and August and then we will be told that we can look forward to maybe getting our lives back in September or October.

There is such a disassociation with the effects of these lockdowns, we just get told that it will be another few months as if that is no big deal, but to hundreds of thousands of people it is a big deal, its a ****ing massive deal.

Are far as I am concerned the vaccine rollout should be the single most important thing happening in this country, the government ain't got **** to do but be on it. So why do we keep hearing people patting themselves on the back for such underwhelming numbers? Over 40's can get a vaccine tomorrow up North and we are cheering because 69 year olds are finally allowed to book an appointment? 96 year priests only getting jabbed last week? As Roy Keane would say, do me a favour.

I would actually say the vaccine rollout IS the single most important thing happening in the country.

I would also say, it isn't a valid comparison with the North. For a start, they aren't tied into the supply chain that we are (which was always going to be pot luck whether the UK or EU would do better on this regard). In addition, they had 113 positive tests yesterday - so they aren't exactly at zero covid. We probably had less cases per 100k than them yesterday.

Lastly, I would bet that if the HSE were given 4m doses tomorrow then we'd have such a huge ramp up of innoculations that we'd be done this in no time. Anybody who has been to an MVC says they are like clockwork.

A 96 year old not getting it is possibly a headline grabber without fully knowing why. There's always going to be outliers/edge cases.

The one thing we need - vaccine supply - is the one thing we can't control at the moment. And there is very little the HSE can do about that.

I think overall its working better than people give the (rightly) much maligned HSE credit for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

So three weeks to do the 65-69's, then perhaps 2/3 weeks to do the 60-64's?

Even if we got down to doing a five year batch in 10 days, with lots more supply and significant ramping of the vaccination centres, we won't have gotten much sub-50 by the time June is up.

Is that 80% of the adult population? It most certainly isn't.

By my back of the envelope calculations, 80% of the adult population is approximately 3 million. If 800k have gotten their first vaccine so far, we need to carry out 2.2m vaccinations in the next 10 weeks. We'll be spending 3 weeks doing the 65-69 age group - which is how many, 200k ish?

There is absolutely no way we are going to hit this target.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

JDD wrote: »

Even if we got down to doing a five year batch in 10 days, with lots more supply and significant ramping of the vaccination centres, we won't have gotten much sub-50 by the time June is up.

By my back of the envelope calculations, 80% of the adult population is approximately 3 million. If 800k have gotten their first vaccine so far, we need to carry out 2.2m vaccinations in the next 10 weeks. We'll be spending 3 weeks doing the 65-69 age group - which is how many, 200k ish?

Once there is enough supply, the ramping up will really begin. At the moment, the only blocker is vaccine supply.

They did 130k last week and the MVC's are nowhere near capacity I don't think.

To me, the only blocker to hitting this target is vaccine supply. I think everything else will be sorted.

I hope and think we'll be doing 24/7 vaccinations in a matter of weeks. Maybe I'm being too optimistic, but once the supply is there to justify it, I don't see why not.

But I will gladly go at 3am for a vaccine if I get it quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Health11

When will new heathcare workers and those who missed the 26th March deadline be allowed register again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

What I find amazing about that is that she waited for her turn. I’m assuming our crowd classsed themselves as frontline and got the first batch, and their families, secretaries, golf partners

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Multipass wrote: »
    What I find amazing about that is that she waited for her turn. I’m assuming our crowd classsed themselves as frontline and got the first batch, and their families, secretaries, golf partners

Seeing as the cabinet hasn't been vaccinated then they didn't. MM getting AstraZeneca when it's open to 60 year olds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

JDD wrote: »

I read last week(maybe on here) 3.6m is the adult population 16+. I'm not sure what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Seeing as the cabinet hasn't been vaccinated then they didn't. MM getting AstraZeneca when it's open to 60 year olds

Who knows for sure, I wouldn’t put anything past them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

When will they be doing 50 - 59 high risk cohort 7, some have told me the starting of May, is this likely going to be pushed to the middle of May. I'd like to think once they have the 60 - 69 registered in portal that the next lot down can start registering while the 60's crowd is being vaccinated so at least we can have appointments. I'm not prepared to wait another bloody six weeks before using the portal.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Not sure if posted already but interesting article about Pfizer and boosters.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/covid-19-booster-shot-likely-needed-within-year-pfizer-chief-says-1.4539185?mode=amp

Edit. I see JTMan posted it earlier now, just catching up :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement