Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

Two questions - why can't you find this thread on Google?

2- I have a parent with diabetes, seems like they can register on Monday but also so can everyone else of the same age? Have they abandoned the high risk thing now and are just vaccinating by age?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

The bigger issue with RTÉ and every media outlet jumping on any new variant is that if one comes along that is serious there is a very real risk of the larger public considering it crying wolf.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Thats the thing on the journalists, Paul Reid gave them a headline, Glynn is now wise to it and wouldn't say anything yesterday when she kept at him.

Yes . I laugh at the way he looks at his hands when she is going on at him and looks away as soon as the question answered ..hackles up alright ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

EMA J&J conclusion and recommendations due Tuesday

https://twitter.com/dannyctkemp/status/1383074354913804289?s=19

That's my birthday. If they could go ahead and approve it for use for all, I'd forego any other present, thank you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Sanjuro wrote: »
    That's my birthday. If they could go ahead and approve it for use for all, I'd forego any other present, thank you very much.

Knowing me I'll forget so happy birthday for then :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,487 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I would actually say the vaccine rollout IS the single most important thing happening in the country.

I would also say, it isn't a valid comparison with the North. For a start, they aren't tied into the supply chain that we are (which was always going to be pot luck whether the UK or EU would do better on this regard). In addition, they had 113 positive tests yesterday - so they aren't exactly at zero covid. We probably had less cases per 100k than them yesterday.

Lastly, I would bet that if the HSE were given 4m doses tomorrow then we'd have such a huge ramp up of innoculations that we'd be done this in no time. Anybody who has been to an MVC says they are like clockwork.

A 96 year old not getting it is possibly a headline grabber without fully knowing why. There's always going to be outliers/edge cases.

The one thing we need - vaccine supply - is the one thing we can't control at the moment. And there is very little the HSE can do about that.

I think overall its working better than people give the (rightly) much maligned HSE credit for.
    Like I said, we have such low expectations in this country, prepared to not only accept poor performance but in fact defend it.

I fully expect that in June/July we will still be waiting for the ramp up and still be shrugging our shoulders as we point at "supply" and claim there is nothing we could do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Knowing me I'll forget so happy birthday for then :)

Why thank you. Don't worry, if the news is good, I'll celebrate! If not, I'll cower in a hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Turtwig wrote: »
    The bigger issue with RTÉ and every media outlet jumping on any new variant is that if one comes along that is serious there is a very real risk of the larger public considering it crying wolf.

Good point, we're hearing about a new variant every second day and then there's barely ever another word said about them, bar the SA and Brazil ones. People are probably numb to it already even.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭gaming_needs90

My mother just got a text about an Astrazenica vaccine appointment tomorrow (!) in Limerick but she cannot attend as is in hospital in Dublin. The text either has a YES or NO response and lists a mobile number for help from 9-6pm. Have been calling for the last hour and no response. The HSE are beyond useless. Its clear the number is not being manned past a certain time. :mad:

After the thing Varadkar said about being moved to the back of the line if you refuse the AZ vaccine, worried doesn't begin to explain!

My mother just got a text about an Astrazenica vaccine appointment tomorrow (!) in Limerick but she cannot attend as is in hospital in Dublin. The text either has a YES or NO response and lists a mobile number for help from 9-6pm. Have been calling for the last hour and no response. The HSE are beyond useless. Its clear the number is not being manned past a certain time. :mad:

After the thing Varadkar said about being moved to the back of the line if you refuse the AZ vaccine, worried doesn't begin to explain!

As far as I remember, Paul Reid did say it was possible to change the date, as in - you won't get pushed to the back of the queue if you reschedule.

I really hope you get onto the phone line. Which phone number is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Could someone attend the appointment and explain ? Not ideal but needs must

Is it via the portal ? Then Paul Reid said there would be a way to change a date

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

HSELive is 100% open until 8pm 1850 24 1850. Is this the number you've been calling?

They are going to be up the walls over the launch of the online reg platform but I'd stalk that number.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,652 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    They dealt with it really well in Whistler . Shut the slopes and restaurants . And are in the throes of vaccinating everyone over 16 in who live or work in Whistler

That is like focusing all your efforts on vaccinating Offaly and not the rest of the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Good article. While there should obviously be proper study and investigation done on any potential variants, It is getting a bit tedious now that some media outlets like to report on the slightest sniff of any new variant that gets discovered.

That RTE article is typical of these kind of stories just causing more concern for people who see it, when as of yet there is no evidence that it could be a concern.

It’s old news too. I have read about this double penetration or whatever mutant at least a month ago.

That is like focusing all your efforts on vaccinating Offaly and not the rest of the place.

They are doing the same in Revelstoke now I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 31,087 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Ring vaccination is a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Kumejima

snotboogie wrote: »
    What you have just said doesn't add up to your previous point. You came into this thread aparantly driven by concern about a priest who died shortly after a vaccine and now your concern is long term effects.

It sounds like you have an idealogical pre disposition against vaccines. You are incoherently throwing every bit of negativity against the wall hoping something will stick with someone. People who are much smarter than you, who have spent their whole lives studying this, are recommending population wide vaccination.

Oh I'm sorry? I was incoherent because I was concerned about vaccinations apparently killing someone yet also am concerned about long term health benefits to others who take it? Wtf? I'm concerned about both, yes. What about that doesn't add up?

Dude if this was Nazi Germany and we'd just gotten the order from the authorities to report to the station for transport to new lives on the Eastern Front ( in reality Auschwitz) I'd like to think part of me would have been very hesitant if not downright vehemently against complying.

Your type of argument is "Whats the matter? Are you anti trains? You've been on loads of trains before and nothing bad has ever happened? All the authorities have assured us its going to new lives in the Ukraine? Why are you being so paranoid about a train journey?"

I'm not anti vaccine. I'm anti THIS vaccine for precisely the same reason the jews should have shown more caution. We're being told the destination is health happiness and freedom, but in reality no-one knows where the f*ck the train will end up because, and I repeat,

THERE. ARE. NO. LONG. TERM. STUDIES.

If I'm wrong please please send me a link to the 5-10 year studies proving safety to humans that we normally demand of experimental drugs before they become vaccines.

Before you say Do your own research or its not my job, you guys were asking me for links. I provided one.

If what I have said in capital letters is wrong please provide evidence before you slate me and pour scorn on us poor benighted antivaxxers.

Gettting vaccinated is like stepping on the train with your two suitcases.
    Once you get on, thats it. Its going to take you where its taking you. You can't get off, there's no changing at Limerick junction.

There is not one study showing where that train will have taken you in 1 year, in 5 years or in 10 years. But you guys cannot wait to board.

Madness

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Kumejima wrote: »
    But its not meant to be a cause of death, either.

Like in this guys case.

Now of course these two events could be COMPLETELY unrelated. Maybe most 96 year old deaths don't occur after weeks if not months of being bedridden and waiting for the end.

Maybe most of them are hale and hearty enough to be up and about getting their photograph taken by the papers on a Monday and are dead on a Friday. Maybe thats how most people 95+ go out.

Maybe you're the kind of guy who can eat in a dodgy curry house and suffer explosive diarrhea 12 hours later and think "Hmm, what could have brought than on out of the blue?"

If conspiracy theorists impose a twisted logic or pattern out of completely random events, most of you guys here are coincidence theorists.

There is a cause and effect which is staring you right in the face, but you put it down to chance. You're so invested in one reality ( vaccines are our saviour), that any negative evidence to the contrary is just dismissed even if its clear as day.

Can't you admit that there might be a link between this man being in fine fettle for 96 years right up to the day of his vaccination and then punching out 3-4 days later? Nothing flagging? Really?

Ridiculous reaching for a link! Nothing further worth wasting my time typing really!

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭gaming_needs90

Could someone attend the appointment and explain ? Not ideal but needs must

Is it via the portal ? Then Paul Reid said there would be a way to change a date

I her on the portal but I believe this is an appointment that GP referred her for. I think there was some list that the GP puts patients on.

The number is a random mobile number for the midwest vaccine center I presume.

Called HSELive twice and they are not great. Initially they said to text back the Reschedule option, which I said there was none, but then said not to respond to the message at all and it should be rescheduled. The person did not sound like they knew really what they were talking about tbh :mad:

Only option is to call the mobile number in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,652 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

They are doing the same in Revelstoke now I believe

It does in a way make sense to focus on hotspots, small ski towns have a large amount of people in close contact. Even with the season wrapping up now with the weather heating up. Whistler as well needs a summer, they make a fortune on the mountain bikes.

It is a weird situation here, it feels like they are banking on the vaccine to really stop it all. We have gone so long without any real restrictions, to do it at this stage would probably not land well or even really be adhered to.

I do not envy the powers that be right now. To see the situation get bad so quick and with vaccines now rolling out, it is a literal ying and yang scenario.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Oh I'm sorry? I was incoherent because I was concerned about vaccinations apparently killing someone yet also am concerned about long term health benefits to others who take it? Wtf? I'm concerned about both, yes. What about that doesn't add up?

Dude if this was Nazi Germany and we'd just gotten the order from the authorities to report to the station for transport to new lives on the Eastern Front ( in reality Auschwitz) I'd like to think part of me would have been very hesitant if not downright vehemently against complying.

Your type of argument is "Whats the matter? Are you anti trains? You've been on loads of trains before and nothing bad has ever happened? All the authorities have assured us its going to new lives in the Ukraine? Why are you being so paranoid about a train journey?"

I'm not anti vaccine. I'm anti THIS vaccine for precisely the same reason the jews should have shown more caution. We're being told the destination is health happiness and freedom, but in reality no-one knows where the f*ck the train will end up because, and I repeat,

THERE. ARE. NO. LONG. TERM. STUDIES.

If I'm wrong please please send me a link to the 5-10 year studies proving safety to humans that we normally demand of experimental drugs before they become vaccines.

Before you say Do your own research or its not my job, you guys were asking me for links. I provided one.

If what I have said in capital letters is wrong please provide evidence before you slate me and pour scorn on us poor benighted antivaxxers.

Gettting vaccinated is like stepping on the train with your two suitcases.
    Once you get on, thats it. Its going to take you where its taking you. You can't get off, there's no changing at Limerick junction.

There is not one study showing where that train will have taken you in 1 year, in 5 years or in 10 years. But you guys cannot wait to board.

Madness

Cool story bro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

Godwinned!

Close the thread ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Don’t feed the anti vaxxer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Will J&J be restricted to those aged 50+? or perhaps Men aged 18+ and Women aged 50+?

Interesting perspective on the risk to woman under 50 ...

https://twitter.com/VPrasadMDMPH/status/1382734864219140100

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Well I might have been first on this thread to register on the portal yesterday, but am I the first to get an appointment? Just got the text for an appointment on Tuesday. :D

vienne86 wrote: »
    Well I might have been first on this thread to register on the portal yesterday, but am I the first to get an appointment? Just got the text for an appointment on Tuesday. :D

Jesus that's a quick turnaround time!! Excellent :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭jellybear

Got a call from my GP to get my first dose tomorrow :) I'm in cohort 4.

Brilliant !! Was hoping you would let us know about the timeline

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Russman

I registered my mother yesterday morning and she got her text about 10 mins ago with an appointment for Tuesday too !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

That could be a plan :D
    Offaly has been coming in high recently

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement