Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 3mom4

So happy to hear of those getting appointments, made my day to read some good news 😠Let us know how you get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Vicxas wrote: »
    Such an absolute sham of a headline, designed to terrify you.

Its a headline designed to inform you.

If such headlines terrify you, and I can understand why they might, I really think you need to stop reading the news. You're certainly not likely to get comfort in social media.

I reckon we all need to practice social media distancing along side social distancing, from time to time, for the simple reason of protecting our mental health.

A couple I know have decided to grow a garden this year, with the express purpose of keeping occupied in the evenings after work and staying away from almost all forms of news. They check the HSE website every few days to stay as informed as they wish to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Four days from signing up to first jab is pretty good going let's be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I have to say I'm impressed! Six One reported appointments would start being given over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Russman

vienne86 wrote: »
    Well I might have been first on this thread to register on the portal yesterday, but am I the first to get an appointment? Just got the text for an appointment on Tuesday. :D

Did you have to reply to the text or confirm anything ? I was asking my mother and she says there’s nothing like that on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

Strazdas wrote: »
    I've heard of quite a few people getting a text at short notice (e.g. the day beforehand), so I wouldn't be worrying just yet.

Yeah I got a text Sunday night for a Monday morning vaccine. So even on weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Russman

This exactly.
    Whatever about supply issues, they’re really not f-cking around with the stock they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

Russman wrote: »
    Did you have to reply to the text or confirm anything ? I was asking my mother and she says there’s nothing like that on it.

I was asked to send back a yes or no if going. It comes from an 087 number (might be different where you are located though)

Turtwig wrote: »
    The bigger issue with RTÉ and every media outlet jumping on any new variant is that if one comes along that is serious there is a very real risk of the larger public considering it crying wolf.

Agreed! "WOLF!!" is a real risk. However, news media has a responsibility to report what is news. If a reputable news outlet decided to not report these things, then if a big issue arose, would they not be accused of censorship and massaging the news.

IMO, the responsbility for managing our consumption of material that causes us anxiety or otherwise adversely affects us, lies with ourselves. Like with controlling what we eat, make choices and learn to know when we've had enough, and when we need to push ourselves away from the table!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Kumejima wrote: »
    Oh I'm sorry? I was incoherent because I was concerned about vaccinations apparently killing someone yet also am concerned about long term health benefits to others who take it? Wtf? I'm concerned about both, yes. What about that doesn't add up?

Dude if this was Nazi Germany and we'd just gotten the order from the authorities to report to the station for transport to new lives on the Eastern Front ( in reality Auschwitz) I'd like to think part of me would have been very hesitant if not downright vehemently against complying.

Your type of argument is "Whats the matter? Are you anti trains? You've been on loads of trains before and nothing bad has ever happened? All the authorities have assured us its going to new lives in the Ukraine? Why are you being so paranoid about a train journey?"

I'm not anti vaccine. I'm anti THIS vaccine for precisely the same reason the jews should have shown more caution. We're being told the destination is health happiness and freedom, but in reality no-one knows where the f*ck the train will end up because, and I repeat,

THERE. ARE. NO. LONG. TERM. STUDIES.

If I'm wrong please please send me a link to the 5-10 year studies proving safety to humans that we normally demand of experimental drugs before they become vaccines.

Before you say Do your own research or its not my job, you guys were asking me for links. I provided one.

If what I have said in capital letters is wrong please provide evidence before you slate me and pour scorn on us poor benighted antivaxxers.

Gettting vaccinated is like stepping on the train with your two suitcases.
    Once you get on, thats it. Its going to take you where its taking you. You can't get off, there's no changing at Limerick junction.

There is not one study showing where that train will have taken you in 1 year, in 5 years or in 10 years. But you guys cannot wait to board.

Madness

Can't believe I'm replying to this post, but I can't help it!

Your analogy is totally flawed. If you want to continue with the train idea (:confused:) it's more akin to a new train line from Dublin to Donegal. You know the final destination. There's no one trying to trick you to get on the train for some ulterior motive. Everyone wants to go to Donegal!

You've been on trains to Galway and Cork, but you're worried about a new line. Why? You've been on trains before, the only difference is a different destination. The line has been tested, the risks are known. Sure there's still a chance of derailing, but that's the same with any train.

You've likely been on relatively new routes when on holidays before without realising it, but your fear is stemming from just knowing it is new and it being continually discussed in the news.

• Advertisement

Like I said, we have such low expectations in this country, prepared to not only accept poor performance but in fact defend it.

I fully expect that in June/July we will still be waiting for the ramp up and still be shrugging our shoulders as we point at "supply" and claim there is nothing we could do.

It's sad that you feel that way, assuming that you're in Ireland. I see this little country as a great place, waaay more caring of its people than some, and better than many in terms of our overall Covid response. I'm actually quite proud of how we, as a people, have done in the past year, and have faith that when history is written, we will be judged as having dealt with a raging inferno, un-matched in living memory in terms of potential danger and degree of uncertainty, in a humane manner that valued life and limb of all our people above almost all else.

No, nothing about replying. Just the details of time and place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

I have to say I'm impressed! Six One reported appointments would start being given over the weekend.

Congrats - what age are you?

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Congrats - what age are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I am due to register tomorrow , I feel like a child waiting for Santa !! Will let you know when my appointment comes through

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I am due to register tomorrow , I feel like a child waiting for Santa !! Will let you know when my appointment comes through

I'm really excited!

Sure I do, because, as with the conspiracy theorists you so happily mock, you won't even entertain the idea of opening yourself to facts that contradict your worldview.

I'm slipping into mockery myself here so let me be serious.

We all want the same thing - we all want to keep our population happy and healthy and alive. Its just people on your side of the aisle seem to have this implicit trust in the vaccines that people on my side of the aisle cannot share.

Its real simple. There are no long term studies showing these are safe. Full stop.

So to me this entire vaccination program is collective insanity. At best you vaccinate people over 70 who are robust enough to withstand the side effects but you don't give it to the old and the frail, nor the young who are at no fatal risk of covid.

I am genuinely aghast at the enthusiasm for what is essentially an experimental drug.

It's hard to take the extreme case of the Parish Priest seriously when, despite being asked, you haven't provided a link to the reports of same. You know about it: why not provide us a link to it so that we too can be informed. Telling us that its in The Kerryman or on TG4 doesn't realy help much, when you could just give us a link.

As for "So to me this entire vaccination program is collective insanity" , ah, now! C'mon! How can we take you seriously when that worldview underpins your contributions?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭xtal191

Both parents (73 and 72) got their first dose of the Pfizer vaccine this afternoon, delighted to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Looks like Canada is rapidly turning into the clown of the world with cases and vaccines. We have a higher infection rate than the states now and cases are really going up, at least in BC where I currently live.

And with Moderna cutting back expected deliveries, I suspect it will be a long haul, unless they can get a surplus from our neighbours...

Yet Canada was criticised 6 months ago for having ordered more vaccines than anyone else. But because the factories were not located in Canada they haven't got delivery of them, whether that makes them "clowns" is open to debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Skyfloater

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    It's sad that you feel that way, assuming that you're in Ireland. I see this little country as a great place, waaay more caring of its people than some, and better than many in terms of our overall Covid response. I'm actually quite proud of how we, as a people, have done in the past year, and have faith that when history is written, we will be judged as having dealt with a raging inferno, un-matched in living memory in terms of potential danger and degree of uncertainty, in a humane manner that valued life and limb of all our people above almost all else.

Anyone who's lived through WW2 may beg to differ. Remember these times folks, it's a "Raging inferno" out there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

TomOnBoard wrote: »

If it were measured simply on platitudes and empty phrases that might be the case, but the dreadful communications and buck-passing that the various state agencies indulged in the botched housebound vaccination campaign paints a different picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

xtal191 wrote: »
    Both parents (73 and 72) got their first dose of the Pfizer vaccine this afternoon, delighted to be honest

Both my parents have had their first dose also. My mum got it this evening at 6.10, delighted considering she had to go into hospital on Monday and thought she would be out after one night but they kept her in until today - was only discharged at 4.30!

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭irishlad.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cUZy6AMCwuA2zhtRuKK7cqMVgmhdDsGsZrFWJTkw9DY/edit#gid=502588836

Think it's safe to say that dose 1 in cohort 1 and 2 is complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Manach wrote: »
    If it were measured simply on platitudes and empty phrases that might be the case, but the dreadful communications and buck-passing that the various state agencies indulged in the botched housebound vaccination campaign paints a different picture.

Our mortality rate is much lower than that of our closest neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,856 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I registered my mother yesterday morning and she got her text about 10 mins ago with an appointment for Tuesday too !!

Fair play to them, no hanging around at all (and the system seems to be working well).

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

irishlad. wrote: »

Guarantee ya we're going to hear on the media someday in the coming weeks about someone in one of those cohorts who hasn't been given their first dose yet and how that's an absolute disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

I'm really excited!
    Not looking for your postcode,but what general part of the country are you based.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

irishlad. wrote: »

Cohort 2 will never finish!!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,524 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Dude if this was Nazi Germany and we'd just gotten the order from the authorities to report to the station for transport to new lives on the Eastern Front ( in reality Auschwitz) I'd like to think part of me would have been very hesitant if not downright vehemently against complying.
    Not only is this a ridiculous comment, it's also offensive

If you do wish to discuss your anti-vax stance please head over to the Conspiracy Theories forum.

Any questions PM me - do not respond to this warning in-thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

What's the story with vaccine certs if you buy your vaccine on the black market?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement