Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

lbj666 wrote: »
    That's why I am checking :D maybe not next week but the week after

https://amp.rte.ie/amp/1210392/

Yup heard it right, excellent news

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

UDAWINNER wrote: »
    Are we not organised now?

That's really good news

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Are we not organised now?

It's a sign I need sleep. I read this in the Maximus Gladiator voice: "Are you not entertained!?":D:o

Turtwig wrote: »
    It's a sign I need sleep. I read this in the Maximus Gladiator voice: "Are you not entertained!?":D:o
    55zp7r.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Cork981

Have the MVCs started rescheduling appointments for under 50s that got cancelled last week ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

My parents are both over 70 and haven't heard anything yet.

How are the under 70s getting them already when that cohort hasn't been finished?

Get them to ring the GP and my parents were not getting anywhere even though the other GPs in town have nearly finished over 70,s
    My mother was reluctant to ring and to be seen to be tormenting them . Anyway I got her to ring and they are getting first one tomorrow .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

harr wrote: »
    Get them to ring the GP and my parents were not getting anywhere even though the other GPs in town have nearly finished over 70,s
    My mother was reluctant to ring and to be seen to be tormenting them . Anyway I got her to ring and they are getting first one tomorrow .

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,856 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Great, means the vaccination programme will accelerate immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Wonderful news. Hopefully they extend the second dose time and fire through those extra 50k per week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Wonderful news. Hopefully they extend the second dose time and fire through those extra 50k per week.

It sounds like if they are doing that it won't be for risk cohorts. It'll just be when we get to the general age groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

harr wrote: »

Yes. My husband was told by our GP that they are still working their way through over 70s as of yet . It depends on the amount of elderly in each practice , all different .

George Lee reporting that the EMA might issue new Johnson & Johnson advice next week and there are hints that there might be age restrictions attached (but he adds that there is nothing concrete yet).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Cork981 wrote: »
    Have the MVCs started rescheduling appointments for under 50s that got cancelled last week ?

Citywest MVC was jam packed today, so I'd say they switched to Pfizer and recommenced with anyone who previously had an appointment.

It actually looked a little too busy, the queue snaking inside an army tent and into the car park. Maybe people are so eager they are arriving a little too early for their appointment.

Flipside, there was a single car lined up for covid testing.... So I like that balance!

Strazdas wrote: »
    George Lee reporting that the EMA might issue new Johnson & Johnson advice next week and there are hints that there might be age restrictions attached (but he adds that there is nothing concrete yet).

Let's bloody hope it's not restricted to 60+
    Strange the EMA would attach age restrictions, seeing as how they haven't with AZ. And the J&J clotting incidence rate is a fraction of AZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭Cork2021

I don’t mind the age restrictions in theory as long as the 605,000 get the jab quickly. Wonder would they still use it on certain groups just so they don’t fall through the net? Ie the 40,000/50,000 that is/was supposed to be used for travellers, Roma, homeless etc?

Cork2021 wrote: »
    I don’t mind the age restrictions in theory as long as the 605,000 get the jab quickly. Wonder would they still use it on certain groups just so they don’t fall through the net? Ie the 40,000/50,000 that is/was supposed to be used for travellers, Roma, homeless etc?

An age restriction would have serious issues if it was 60+
    We have that cohort covered with AZ, meaning the J&J would go unused.

Travellers, Roma & Homeless under 60 would have the same risk assessment as people under 60 with underlying conditions (higher than the gen pop). The fact we've restricted AZ to 60+ and don't take a separate risk assessment on underlying conditions (only age) suggests any age restriction on J&J will solely be on age and not at risk groups.

Does the current estimate of 80% by end of June now factor out J & J? Do they think this is doable with just Pfizer, Moderna and AZ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Russman

You’d imagine that using it on some or all of those groups is a no brainer, assuming it’s approved for them.

If the Pfizer ramp up really is an extra 50k per week that should really take some of the sting out of the AZ issue imo.

I can’t remember the exact schedule but wasn’t the bulk of the J&J amount due to arrive in June ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Wolf359f wrote: »
    Let's bloody hope it's not restricted to 60+
    Strange the EMA would attach age restrictions, seeing as how they haven't with AZ. And the J&J clotting incidence rate is a fraction of AZ.

"An abundance of caution" will be the death of this vaccination programme.

• Advertisement

Wolf359f wrote: »
    Citywest MVC was jam packed today, so I'd say they switched to Pfizer and recommenced with anyone who previously had an appointment.

It actually looked a little too busy, the queue snaking inside an army tent and into the car park. Maybe people are so eager they are arriving a little too early for their appointment.

Flipside, there was a single car lined up for covid testing.... So I like that balance!

Great that it seems to be going full steam ahead.

I know of 3 people (my mother and two others) in the 69 age group who are getting AZ on Tuesday in Citywest, all got their texts this evening after registering on the portal yesterday.

Yeah I agree. The US may restrict J&J or not release the hold, but that's based on J&J being about 5% of jabs so far. Easy to justify it.

For other countries worldwide without a massive supply of mRNA vaccines, it's a little harder to justify. Especially the higher 60+ age restriction.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Skyfloater wrote: »
    Anyone who's lived through WW2 may beg to differ. Remember these times folks, it's a "Raging inferno" out there.

Leaving aside your snark, let me give you a perspective, thus:

WW2, and/or any other such 'raging inferno' you want to consider resulted from man's inhumanity to man! They were PREVENTABLE! If ppl had sat down and worked stuff out beforehand, they never needed to happen! So, they were nowhere near the 'raging infernos' that were Spanish Flu, Polio, 1950s TB, HIV/AIDS or Covid-19, simply because they were a result of human hubris, arrogance, belligerance and love of conquer! Each and every one was CAUSED by us!

Covid, like the other plagues mentioned are/were natural phenomena, caused TO us, largely un-controllable and totally organic, and havesters of thousands to millions of human lives, before humans could do a single thing to deal with it/them.

As you mentioned WWII specifically, consider this: In the USA alone, by end-Feb 2021, more Americans had died from Covid in a year than had died in the entirety of WWII, Korean and Vietnam Wars combined!

EDIT: Just checked there on Worldometer.. Right now, there are 3,011,395 souls who have been lost to Covid-19 in just over a year, with no end in sight in many parts of the world. Whaddya think about the applicability of 'raging infernos' now?

Russman wrote: »

I know of 3 people (my mother and two others) in the 69 age group who are getting AZ on Tuesday in Citywest, all got their texts this evening after registering on the portal yesterday.

Ah that's bloody great and fast!
    I registered my Dad today and his MVC will be Citywest, so here's hoping for a speedy appointment. My Mam got her 1st dose with the GP yesterday, so it's all happening fast now!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Russman wrote: »

Seems bizarre when the over 70s first jab still hasn't been completed yet.

Anyway not surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭rooney30

Does the current estimate of 80% by end of June now factor out J & J? Do they think this is doable with just Pfizer, Moderna and AZ?

The 80% figure by the end of June is pie in the sky , J and J or no J and j . . All the over 70s have yet to receive their first dose

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

It was the LACK of an abundance of caution that characterised the worst failures of past vaccination programmes!

I love to see an abundance of caution figuring hugely in current vaccine roll-out.

Seems bizarre when the over 70s still haven't been completed yet.

Agreed but with the AZ age restriction, dishing out AZ to people in their 60s doesn’t impact any other cohort whatsoever. Over 70s are being done by GPs while the 60s are being done in the MVCs. If they have AZ in stock they may as well lash it out.

EMA won't issue age restrictions. If they didn't with AZ, they won't with J&J.

• Advertisement

rooney30 wrote: »
    The 80% figure by the end of June is pie in the sky , J and J or no J and j . . All the over 70s have yet to receive their first dose

There's 4 cohorts being done concurrently, 1 more starting next week.
    Cohort 1 & 2 appear to have all 1st doses done. They won't be sitting on vaccines waiting for their second dose, that will be going to Cohort 3 & 4.
    Seeing as how you know, just curious, what % of the over 70% have gotten their first dose?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement