Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

This is gonna give the anti-vaxxers some serious bloody ammo.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

hmmm wrote: »
    That's what I don't quite understand about those saying this won't impact on the rollout.

If we are keeping AZ for the 60-70 year old group, isn't that going to delay them getting a vaccine? Will people be happy if (say) the 50 year olds have their vaccinations finished before the 60 year olds.

And if we do use all available vaccines for the 60 year old groups, we're going to be left with deliveries of a vaccine we can't use.

Exactly this.

Some don't seem to understand the impact of this and seem to think it won't have any impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

funnydoggy wrote: »
    This is gonna give the anti-vaxxers some serious bloody ammo.
    We've already seen that on here tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

No the WHO were out again today saying we have to keep distancing and face masks for a long time to come.

Vaccines won't end this and the way things are evolving it's within the realms of possibility they'll make things worse for the vaccinated.

I'm not sure how much longer I can last living in a masked up county, if it wasn't for the kids i'd have left ages ago. Mandatory vaccinations for children will be the final straw for me, we'll be getting the first flight out of here if they try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Surely the cohort should now be changed to 60-69 and start straight away with the AZ on hand?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Dressoutlet

I don't think Dr Nolan should be on TV. She looked a nervous wreck and her thoughts are written all over her face.

Cohort 4, I have managed to avoid dying from covid for a year. I am most certainly not happy to volunteer myself to die from a blood clot caused by a vaccine. I am high risk for blood clots. If I refused this vaccine I wouldn't have gotten any. So the HSE are not that bothered about high risk people if they have a "we don't care you said no now you're getting none" attitude.

Also, I became very wary of AZ when I saw the name change a few days ago. Twitchy eye immediately LOL. And I have not been cocooning. I use public transport multiple times a day and bring my children to school. I've been a close contact, I've been in hospital with my children, even on a covid ward for a week last year with one of my choldren. I wash my hands as I always have my whole life. Rarely use sanitiser. So I've managed to avoid catching Covid as a very high risk person, there's no way I'm volunteering for the AZ vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Miike wrote: »
    It's worth noting the dominant variants during each of the clinical trials also and where they were conducted, and how this effects the efficacy values. As much as I detest VOX please watch the following video which is extremely succinct in explaining this, far better than I could even try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3odScka55A

That Vox piece made sense to me in relation to the efficacy of all the vaccines in the trials in preventing hospitalisation and worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Glad to see we're straight off the bat here with the science-backed evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

astrofool wrote: »
    I'm just hoping they adjust the rollout cohorts quickly and get started with mRNA for under 60's and have a slower pace with AZ for the over 60's (and not keep using Pfizer and Moderna on them).

Why slow down the over 60s .......they're getting Astra Zeneca and there's lots in stock. Give it to them and get rid of them.

hmmm wrote: »
    Slap a warning label on it and make it open access for anyone who wants it.

But then Dr Nolan made a face about people not having a choice of which vaccine. So if I'm offered AZ and am made aware of the side effects then that means I can be vaccinated, and if I refuse, then I don't get a vaccine.
    They're very unclear. Either you have a choice or you don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭HGVRHKYY

No the WHO were out again today saying we have to keep distancing and face masks for a long time to come.

Vaccines won't end this and the way things are evolving it's within the realms of possibility they'll make things worse for the vaccinated.

I'm not sure how much longer I can last living in a masked up county, if it wasn't for the kids i'd have left ages ago. Mandatory vaccinations for children will be the final straw for me, we'll be getting the first flight out of here if they try it.

No you won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Surely the cohort should now be changed to 60-69 and start straight away with the AZ on hand?

They could have allowee anyone at risk in the 60-69 group and booked in tomorrow to go ahead.
    Shame that online booking system wasn't up and running, could have opened it for 60-69 and get them into clinics this week.

No doubt we'll hear of GP's getting mRNA deliveries diverted soon enough and replaced with AZ.
    They'll be juggling 2 types of vaccines now for patients.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭daheff

When did we go from vaccine second dose after 3 weeks as per manufacturer advice to second dose after 12 weeks?

I was a bit surprised to hear this on the news today.....no big announcements made that I saw

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It's 3-4 weeks for Pfizer/Moderna and 12 weeks for AstraZeneca. Been that way for some time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

But then Dr Nolan made a face about people not having a choice of which vaccine. So if I'm offered AZ and am made aware of the side effects then that means I can be vaccinated, and if I refuse, then I don't get a vaccine.

There never was a choice of vaccine

I'm not sure how much longer I can last living in a masked up county, if it wasn't for the kids i'd have left ages ago. Mandatory vaccinations for children will be the final straw for me, we'll be getting the first flight out of here if they try it.[/QUOTE]

You'll get clipped for a €500 breach out near airport if it's considered "non essential ".
    Seriously though, methinks masks etc are here for the long haul.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Yonce

I very much doubt it.
    There's too many unknowns with this virus.
    Do we even know how long the vaccines work for?
    I'd say masks etc will be around for a good while, and packing out places, I could be just negative but I can't see it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

That was in relation to those over 60 who were looking to reject AZ in favour of another. She left the possibility of someone opting to go for AZ under 60 open down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,618 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

vienne86 wrote: »
    Why slow down the over 60s .......they're getting Astra Zeneca and there's lots in stock. Give it to them and get rid of them.

Not enough stock to do them all yet, and AZ supply will be patchy, so it will mean a slower rollout for > 60 and faster for < 60 (and if AZ meet their supply targets, > 60 rollout should be unaffected).

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

daheff wrote: »
    When did we go from vaccine second dose after 3 weeks as per manufacturer advice to second dose after 12 weeks?

I was a bit surprised to hear this on the news today.....no big announcements made that I saw

We didn't
    Our current second dosing schedules after first dose:
    Pfizer 28 Days
    Moderna 28 Days
    AZ 12 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,618 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

daheff wrote: »

AZ has been a 12 week interval since the EMA approved it.

But their advice is that a person under 60 can get the AZ vaccine if they are made aware of the side effects. So this would be a choice to say no after you hear the side effects. So is there a choice of vaccine or is it ok you know the side effects and say no tough **** no vaccine for you

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Sanjuro wrote: »
    Glad to see we're straight off the bat here with the science-backed evidence.

You mean the evolving evidence in the experiment because that is exactly what we're in. The science is far from settled.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

By make it "open access" I mean if we get to a situation where the 60+ group are vaccinated, and we are getting deliveries of AZ vaccine which is going unused. The benefits from my perspective significantly outweigh the miniscule risk, and I'm sure many others would feel the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

So Astra Zeneca has been renamed, relabelled and repackaged.......what the hell are they at....?

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

All this talk of masks and distancing forever are very worrying to me as a concerned citizen.

Remember. We are talking about a virus with a 99.7% survival rate and is basically a non-issue to the vast majority of the population.

You can fool some of the people some of the time, but you can’t fool all of the people all of the time. If things don’t return to normality soon, like minded patriots like myself will have no other option but flexing our God given rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

But their advice is that a person under 60 can get the AZ vaccine if they are made aware of the side effects. So this would be a choice to say no after you hear the side effects. So is there a choice of vaccine or is it ok you know the side effects and say no tough **** no vaccine for you
    The advice is for nobody under 60 to get the astrazeneca vaccine

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

vienne86 wrote: »
    So Astra Zeneca has been renamed, relabelled and repackaged.......what the hell are they at....?

One thing I noticed, haven't heard it being called the Oxford vaccine in a long time!
    Next it will be referenced as the swedish vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Choice of vaccine would lead to total chaos in the system - it would be way too cumbersome and would probably cause massive delays (plus general confusion) in vaccinations.

• Advertisement

The advice is for nobody under 60 to get the astrazeneca vaccine

No, they said under 60 can get the vaccine if they are aware of the side effects

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement