Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

What is actually to the people in Cohort 4 that have not yet been vaccinated? I am one and nobody has contacted me (although my consultant said 2 weeks ago I was on his list) to say what is going on. I know a few people had their AZ appointments cancelled last week and told they would be rebooked but no contact since.
    Has anyone any idea please?

My appointment and my sisters were cancelled last week, we’ve heard nothing since....

https://youtu.be/_jFYrpAkQwA

John Campbell

Oxford research group recent study

Conslusions:

Blood clot risks increase with mrna vaccines.

Blood clot risks increase with AZ/J&J.

Blood clot risks increase with covid infection.

Take away: take first vaccine offered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

40,000 jandj siting around.

AZ probably lost a week over recent changes.

Those jabs should be in arms building immunity in our population.

In the end im confident both jandj and az are beyond safe.
    There do appear to be issues with these vaccines, but we are in a pandemic. A regulator is likely to compare the number of deaths expected from the vaccine versus the number of deaths likely from Covid in a particular group, and on that basis decide the vaccine is not recommended, but that doesn't take any account of the costs for that entire cohort of maintaining restrictions for the extra time as a consequence. That becomes a political decision I think then, and the Government can't hide behind NIAC. I would happily take my chances with a 1:250,000 risk if it meant ending restrictions a month earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,032 ✭✭✭✭Stark

John Campbell

Conslusions:

No vaccines for anyone under 60 so :) 4eva lockdown instead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

Interesting Economist article here (paywall) on the damage caused by the US export controls.

- Problem caused by Biden using Defence Production Act (DPA) which hinders companies ability to export vaccines/ingredients.
    - Serum Institute of India (SII), the world’s biggest vaccine-maker, put out a tweet begging President Joe Biden to “lift the embargo of raw material exports out of the US...Your administration has the details”.
    - Concern that in the next four to six weeks the production of two vaccines will be affected: AstraZeneca’s, of which SII makes 100m doses a month, and Novavax’s, of which it expects to make 60m-70m doses a month.
    - US export controls also effecting European vaccine producers.
    - At a time when many American states have a surplus of vaccines, with as many as one in three doses going unused, American export restrictions are not just galling. They may soon derail the plan to vaccinate the world.

Time for Biden to act and revoke the use of the DPA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

hmmm wrote: »
    People are accepting it now, but I think there will be war if any vaccines go unused. Seeing as the Minister is continuously walking into political landmines, I'd just like to helpfully flag that one to anyone in the FF who may be listening.

The health authorities seem to be ascribing very little cost to continued lockdowns and large-scale unemployment, and are debating over very small risks with the vaccines. Fine, that's their job, but if we ever get to the point where someone says "it'll just mean a delay of a few months" and there is a pile of AZ or J&J sitting unused in a corner there will be trouble.

And all the people pointing it out where the issue lay in hindsight.

I was one of the ones here arguing the case for going by age insted of prioritising teachers et al a few weeks ago, but look at me now raising an amber warning for the risks of sticking with age, why? cause the playing field has be changed dramamatically again.

That's where the minefields are coming from, but Donnelly at least should know that because there are many more changes of plan ahead which he will have to deal with, he shouldn't be throwing out speculative stuff unnessecarily and creating more for himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,840 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

40,000 jandj siting around.

AZ probably lost a week over recent changes.

Those jabs should be in arms building immunity in our population.

In the end im confident both jandj and az are beyond safe.

The pfzier bonus jabs should just of accelerated things.

J&J pulled the vaccine themselves. What this level of safety will do is increase the % of the population who get a vaccine, thus giving us a better chance at herd immunity. Saying "I'd take the risk" does nothing to the people who will obsess over the smallest things even if it's illogical, even if they do multiple things daily with higher risk (witness the person working themselves into sickness after getting AZ about a week ago on here, it was nothing in the end).

Wasn't that impressed with Luke O'Neill's tweet, a pint of Guinness never killed anyone unless it was allergies or it fell on someone's head. Alcoholism does kill, but it can't really be compared to a 2 shot vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Stark wrote: »
    I think we've already screwed the pooch tbh by continuing to use up mRNA vaccines on over-70s after the decision was made to put an age cap on AZ. Bringing under-30s forward won't make any difference if over-70s are all done and there's a surplus of AZ for over-60s. They should be nearing first dose done for over-70s soon and they'll all need a matching shot for their second dose.
    Well in order for GP's to switch to AZ for 70+, they would have had to cancel appointments for dose 1 of 70+ while they take AZ deliveries.

That would lead to more delays with 70+. It would also mean any extra doses they have from an mRNA batch should not go to a 70+ first dose and instead go to a 16-59 or a 70+ second dose. It would be a nightmare for GP's to navigate.

It would also mean some 70+ patients would be on mRNA and others on AZ, it's a little easier for them to juggle vaccines based on age. So they know all their 70+ patients are on mRNA, 60-69 AZ and under 60 mRNA.

Nearly half of 70+ so far have had their second dose. It's not like they all need their second dose in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Stark wrote: »
    I think we've already screwed the pooch tbh by continuing to use up mRNA vaccines on over-70s after the decision was made to put an age cap on AZ. Bringing under-30s forward won't make any difference if over-70s are all done and there's a surplus of AZ for over-60s. They should be nearing first dose done for over-70s soon and they'll all need a matching shot for their second dose.

I am not even thinking about AZ its gonna be left there more or less once over 60s are done.
    We didn't think any issue of it at the time about not giving AZ to over 70s at the time, give the most robust to the most at risk seemed sensible. Then the blood clots issue happened.

• Advertisement

There do appear to be issues with these vaccines, but we are in a pandemic. A regulator is likely to compare the number of deaths expected from the vaccine versus the number of deaths likely from Covid in a particular group, and on that basis decide the vaccine is not recommended, but that doesn't take any account of the costs for that entire cohort of maintaining restrictions for the extra time as a consequence. That becomes a political decision I think then, and the Government can't hide behind NIAC. I would happily take my chances with a 1:250,000 risk if it meant ending restrictions a month earlier.

What regulators have paused or restricted certain vaccines to certain ages?
    The EMA haven't, J&J and AZ are still approved for any member state to vaccinated people aged 18+

I think many people would take there chances with AZ.

They think they are applying do no harm principle.

I think the UK have got that more right in 2021 than we have.

Do no harm should mean get every ema approved vaccine into the most vulnerables arm asap.

When supply is plentiful caution can be applied more readily.

They are applying caution when millions have no solid idea when they are getting jab and nphet warning of fourth wave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,674 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

How is a nursing home outbreak with asymptomatic cases 'a major concern'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

My GP had planned an Over -70s session of Pfizer vaccinations this morning to run from 9-1. By 11.30, so many ppl had failed to show that they had to hit the phones and get people in so vaccines wouldnt be wasted. They ended up working til 4. I got the call at at 2.30 for the OH and myself. Done & dusted and back home by 3.30..

The nurse told me vaccine hesitancy is higher than they expected the last week or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I deleted the post you are referring to, but I asked the same question.

This was the article I mentioned:
    https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2021/0416/1210286-quarantine-high-court/

I think it's a surprise to some people who thought vaccines have 100% efficiency, despite trials showing 90/95% efficiency. So you're going to hear loudly about the 5% despite the fact they will be asymptomatic or have mild symptoms for the most part. It shouldn't come as a surprise to many but the media will love to use it for fear mongering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

https://twitter.com/donnellystephen/status/1383371703628156941?s=21

The 7 day average is 19000. This is data manipulation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Christ, the amount of times it's mentioned in that article that "the vaccines do not work" is shocking. Firstly, how can she say that so definitively? Also, she needs to define "work". Did anyone get seriously sick or die? If not, they do indeed work.

astrofool wrote: »
    J&J pulled the vaccine themselves. What this level of safety will do is increase the % of the population who get a vaccine, thus giving us a better chance at herd immunity. Saying "I'd take the risk" does nothing to the people who will obsess over the smallest things even if it's illogical, even if they do multiple things daily with higher risk (witness the person working themselves into sickness after getting AZ about a week ago on here, it was nothing in the end).

Wasn't that impressed with Luke O'Neill's tweet, a pint of Guinness never killed anyone unless it was allergies or it fell on someone's head. Alcoholism does kill, but it can't really be compared to a 2 shot vaccine.

What he is saying some people are poor at assessing risk.

They thinks its safe to neck 20 pints of Guiness a week, but afraid of a vaccine that has a mortality of 1 in a million.

Luke ONeill does talk alot of sense in this pandemic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Christ, the amount of times it's mentioned in that article that "the vaccines do not work" is shocking. Firstly, how can she say that so definitively? Also, she needs to define "work". Did anyone get seriously sick or die? If not, they do indeed work.

If that article is anything to go it doesn’t bode well for future travel.

• Advertisement

In his defense, he's not quoting the 7 day average, he's quoting a figure from a single day.
    But I will say, they will want to get the finger out, we're slowly slipping down the EU table!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

She needs to reread her paper work she says an EU country reported it,reports in Polish media is it was reported in the UK and most showed no signs of sickness and or very mild.
    Polish media reporting how the vaccination help save the lives of those infected.

Wolf359f wrote: »
    I think it's a surprise to some people who thought vaccines have 100% efficiency, despite trials showing 90/95% efficiency. So you're going to hear loudly about the 5% despite the fact they will be asymptomatic or have mild symptoms for the most part. It shouldn't come as a surprise to many but the media will love to use it for fear mongering.

Exactly right. Like this headline: https://twitter.com/sailorrooscout/status/1382684947807404038

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,122 ✭✭✭✭josip

John Campbell

Conslusions:

That Oxford 'study' of the Oxford vaccine was discussed in depth over on the AZ thread a few days ago.
    There were a lot of questions about what they were claiming and their methodology.
    Even the pro AZ posters on that thread questioned the report.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,362 ✭✭✭plodder

Wolf359f wrote: »
    In his defense, he's not quoting the 7 day average, he's quoting a figure from a single day.
    But I will say, they will want to get the finger out, we're slowly slipping down the EU table!
    True. When it started we were just behind Denmark in the top 4 of the EU 27. We are now 8th from the bottom according to:

https://ourworldindata.org/explorers/coronavirus-data-explorer?zoomToSelection=true&time=latest&country=AUT~BEL~BGR~CYP~CZE~DEU~DNK~ESP~EST~FIN~FRA~GRC~HRV~HUN~IRL~ITA~LTU~LUX~LVA~MLT~NLD~POL~PRT~ROU~SVK~SVN~SWE~EuropeanUnion&region=World&pickerMetric=total_vaccinations_per_hundred&pickerSort=desc&Interval=Cumulative&Align+outbreaks=false&Relative+to+Population=true&Metric=Vaccine+doses

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

When is cohort 4 expected to finish? I am still awaiting my appointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Azatadine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

He didn't say anything about anything except Thursday's figures, so I should see where the manipulation is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

That article is a complete disgrace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭VG31

That article is a complete disgrace

What's even worse is that the "expert" spreading such blatant misinformation is on NPHET.

For people who rely or RTE or the Irish media for vaccine news, it would be understandable to think that the vaccines don't work against the variants.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement