Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

Hope all is well and she recovers fully . Highlights that nobody should be forced into a vaccine . It's a personal choice

Her gut was not to take it but me and wife convinced her, saying about the low odds and using the long haul flight comparison, feel like **** now!

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Doctor on saying they are tired. Bet they get a bit of a gee up when they think they are getting €30 per jab while the NHS doctors get £12. I suppose it all percolates down. NHS boss on 200 odd k p.a.
    Our lad 400+ k. N H S lad in charge of much bigger number.

Why does this come up every week or two?

If you want a serious answer the authority of the head of the HSE compares more directly with the head of an NHS Trust than the Head of the NHS.

The head of the NHS is a figurehead with minimal coordinating authority.

There are 217 NHS trusts. A while back I dug into 4 of the larger trusts. Their ceos are paid more than the ceo of the HSE.

I don't see why people insist on doing this comparison so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Just found out my Sister-in-law was taken to hospital with clots on her lungs during the night. Had first shot of AZ last Friday week:(
    39 years old- was priority listed as she is overweight.

Wishing a full recovery for your sister-in-law.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭greengrass88

mfceiling wrote: »
    I went to the north yesterday and got mine (Pfizer thank god!!).

I'm 46 and was able to book it online. I could have gotten it 3 weeks ago but I didn't have my NHS number to book it online (I still have bank accounts etc in the north and am registered at my parents house so I took full advantage).

The centre was set up brilliantly and from I arrived at the door I was processed, injected then had to wait 15 minutes. In total I was there about 20 minutes. Volunteers everywhere guiding people in the right direction.

Felt a bit sick last night at 9 p.m so took 1 paracetamol and 1 ibuprofen and went to bed. Woke about 5 minutes ago and I'm feeling grand....just a touch thirsty!!

Couldn't wait here any longer. My good mate rang me yesterday and his parents were vaccinated in Meath yesterday also. Both of them aged 72. I hope to god the rollout starts here very quickly.

I'm in a similar situation, got vaccinated (astra) in the north recently but living in Dublin. However I'm worried about vaccine passport/certificate issues...for eg if you need something in Dublin to prove you're vaccinated to get into a gig, but north and south have different systems to prove vaccination. Not sure how it will all work and I'm a bit concerned!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭CalisGirl

Good numbers for Friday given the nightmare week with AZ

https://twitter.com/COVID19DataIE/status/1383717447069433858?s=19

So given 3,763,440 adults in Ireland (per https://worldpopulationreview.com/countries/ireland-population) and 838,644 have one dose.

That's 22.28% of adults that have the first dose of the vaccine. Not bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Hope all is well and she recovers fully . Highlights that nobody should be forced into a vaccine . It's a personal choice

Wish her a speedy recovery. Find the premise of your post strange. Nobody is being forced to take a vaccine. There is also nothing to link either adenovirus viral vector vaccines to clots in the lung. These vaccines are associated with an exceptionally rare clotting disorder that affects the brain and abdomen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

So when is Cohort 7 actually supposed to start? I’ve seen mixed messaging in the media about the end of April or mid May.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,793 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Mention of possibly not renewing AstraZeneca in 2022. Would have thought majority of EU would have been vaccinated by then. Or is it that children may be eligible for vaccine by then or booster vaccines needed? Think De Gascun had said he didn't see another vaccine booster needed within next year and more like every 3 or 5 years. https://amp.rte.ie/amp/1210611/?__twitter_impression=true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Her gut was not to take it but me and wife convinced her, saying about the low odds and using the long haul flight comparison, feel like **** now!

Sorry to hear about sis- in-law wishing her a speedy recovery. Try not to beat yourself up any conversation was in good faith and the odds are so small that we convince ourselves it would never happen to us. I’ve no doubt any of us in the same situation would have done the same as yourself and the wife. Best wishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

Eod100 wrote: »
    Mention of possibly not renewing AstraZeneca in 2022. Would have thought majority of EU would have been vaccinated by then. Or is it that children may be eligible for vaccine by then or booster vaccines needed? Think De Gascun had said he didn't see another vaccine booster needed within next year and more like every 3 or 5 years. https://amp.rte.ie/amp/1210611/?__twitter_impression=true

They don’t know how long the vaccines will last. They might last for life for all we know. Not organising vaccine contracts for next and subsequent years would be a farce of the highest proportions.

• Advertisement

Qrt wrote: »
    They don’t know how long the vaccines will last. They might last for life for all we know. Not organising vaccine contracts for next and subsequent years would be a farce of the highest proportions.

Yeah makes sense. Just hadn't thought much beyond this year but could be like flu jab that it needs to be altered for different strains.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Skygord

Telegraph now reporting on the UK MHRA's slow response to the rare clotting events. First reported by the FT.

It seems their loss of access to the EMA's database (due to Brexit) hindered them:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/revealed-britains-regulator-missed-link-astrazeneca-jab-rare/

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭sd1999

So when is Cohort 7 actually supposed to start? I’ve seen mixed messaging in the media about the end of April or mid May.

There’s a lot of conflicting info atm. I imagine we’ll have a better idea when the full rollout plan is published in a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Begin contacting last week April first appointments first week in May

Skygord wrote: »
    Telegraph now reporting on the UK MHRA's slow response to the rare clotting events. First reported by the FT.

It seems their loss of access to the EMA's database (due to Brexit) hindered them:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/revealed-britains-regulator-missed-link-astrazeneca-jab-rare/

Interesting angle when lot of UK media had said EMA was being over cautious

• Registered Users Posts: 31,087 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Eod100 wrote: »
    Interesting angle when lot of UK media had said EMA was being over cautious

Yeah, and the rest! It was presented as a political move by the EU to reject the "Oxford" vaccine.

Even the usually neutral and remainer voices bought into the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Did anyone here register on Saturday ? Just wondering if Saturday reg are getting appointments yet ?

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Did anyone here register on Saturday ? Just wondering if Saturday reg are getting appointments yet ?

Know someone in the 68 group who registered Friday and still haven’t got an appointment

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Try not to feel like ****. There is a very, very strong possibility that as her clots have been diagnosed they will be successfully treated and she will recover. She was in the extremely high risk category for a reason and the possibility was high that an infection would have made her very ill. It’s extremely unfortunate that she appears to have suffered side effects from the vaccine but hopefully she’ll have a full recovery soon and will also be protected from Covid.

• Advertisement

Know someone in the 68 group who registered Friday and still haven’t got an appointment

Friend of mine registered on Friday , had a text yesterday with appointment for Wednesday .
    Maybe it goes by months ??

That's pretty crazy. All of the UK saying this whole thing was political, when it was actually because their own new system wasn't flagging the cases, and then they sat on the data for a further five weeks anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

The Government expects a recommendation from medical experts in the coming days on spacing out the intervals between doses of the Pfizer/BioNtech and Moderna Covid-19 vaccines, the Minister for Health has said.

Stephen Donnelly said they are asking the question whether it would be worth extending the gap between the first and second doses of the vaccine to eight or 12 weeks.

Does anyone have an idea on how many extra first vaccines we would have in 2Q by doing this compared to keeping it at 4 weeks? What age groups could we hit?

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

Friend of mine regarding on Friday , had a text yesterday with appointment for Wednesday .
    I am 69 registered Thursday morning.no appointment yet.

Friend of mine regarding on Friday , had a text yesterday with appointment for Wednesday .

Possibly down to the numbers for the centre in their area. Galway has 1 for 250k people

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭majo

Would you mind me asking roughly what part of the country your friend lives in?

majo wrote: »
    Would you mind me asking roughly what part of the country your friend lives in?

Dublin south . He was assigned to City west

• Registered Users Posts: 16,724 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I think the whole 69, 68 etc. registration thing was done to reduce pressure on the system, know two that registered pretty early on the Wednesday (not 69) and got appointments for next week. Could also be location based.

It'll depend on the location how quick it is. People in Cork/Dublin will likely be allocated faster as there's more MVCs there, for example. Just the way it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

astrofool wrote: »
    I think the whole 69, 68 etc. registration thing was done to reduce pressure on the system, know two that registered pretty early on the Wednesday (not 69) and got appointments for next week. Could also be location based.
    Yeah to make sure the system doesn't fall over. It's how the UK did most of theirs and we do love to follow them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement