Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Also depends on the demographic of the areas, could be less 69 year olds, more 68 year olds etc.

Just all depends on how many of each group to be scheduled for that MVC

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭majo

Will all become clearer next week as people get their appointments. Will be interesting to see if it goes on age or order of registration.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

majo wrote: »
    Will all become clearer next week as people get their appointments. Will be interesting to see if it goes on age or order of registration.

Definitely on age according to Paul Reid . He said even if 65 year old registered early they will be assigned according to age

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The overall approach is by age but as has been commented above demographics may play a part. It's better to look at the cycle for that whole cohort but we will see "Shocked 69 year old granny in tears as 65 year olds skip the queue!".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    The Government expects a recommendation from medical experts in the coming days on spacing out the intervals between doses of the Pfizer/BioNtech and Moderna Covid-19 vaccines, the Minister for Health has said.

Stephen Donnelly said they are asking the question whether it would be worth extending the gap between the first and second doses of the vaccine to eight or 12 weeks.

Does anyone have an idea on how many extra first vaccines we would have in 2Q by doing this compared to keeping it at 4 weeks? What age groups could we hit?

Doing it very roughly, but I don't see the gap being broadened for the current cohorts so, that's 1.1m first doses needed, 400k 2nd already so , 700k keep for 2nd dose with 4 week Intervals. So that's 1.8m. The Remainder of the 2.8m due in end of june can then be used for 1st dose only, so 1m with a 8 week interval before June end, insted of I reckon 600-700k 1st dose if it was 4 weeks (because anyone getting 1st in June under 4 week interval would be into July for 2nd).

You would end up doing 1st dose twice as face ultimately but it wouldnt show it that way by end of June.

That's very back of ciggie box stuff now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Skygord

Skygord wrote: »
    Telegraph now reporting on the UK MHRA's slow response to the rare clotting events. First reported by the FT.

It seems their loss of access to the EMA's database (due to Brexit) hindered them:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/revealed-britains-regulator-missed-link-astrazeneca-jab-rare/

And here is the FT article:

https://www.ft.com/content/5251e1b9-b88d-4bfc-95fa-29dc34d37652?fbclid=IwAR3kcBlDmmjEhVig9ucftM-_rbBHF3TCQAhnMyG-pGplSt5Mz6dWtscHfoI

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Morby

Just wondering if someone got their first dose of AstraZeneca but would prefer not to have AZ for their second dose, is it possible to mix and match and get Pfizer or Moderns for their second dose?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Skygord

The author of the Telegraph article about the UK's MHRA identification of very rare clotting events:

https://twitter.com/PaulNuki/status/1383730082368294917?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 18,870 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It's probably not even that important if a 66 year old gets vaccinated ahead of a 69 year old. As long as they're roughly in the same fortnight or whatever, everyone will be happy.

• Advertisement

Morby wrote: »
    Just wondering if someone got their first dose of AstraZeneca but would prefer not to have AZ for their second dose, is it possible to mix and match and get Pfizer or Moderns for their second dose?
    No, 1 & 2 will be the same vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭greengrass88

Hi folks...recently got my aztra vaccine in the north, but I live in the Republic. Im considered at risk so when my old gp up home offered it to me I went up and got it, would of been waiting very long in ROI for it. I'm concerned about the differences there will be in vaccine passports/certificates between north and south/UK and eu...there's talk of apps and QR codes in the south and I'm concerned that if I got my vaccine in the north I won't have access to these. Just wondering would anyone (cross border workers and the likes) have any insight or thoughts? Thanks!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

15k divided by 7 is not 2.5k per day

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

RTE reporting that the latest on the portal is over 100k between 65-69 registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

RTE reporting that the latest on the portal is over 100k between 65-69 registered.

What was the total in that group?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Her gut was not to take it but me and wife convinced her, saying about the low odds and using the long haul flight comparison, feel like **** now!

I wish her a speedy recovery but lets face it, we all do this all the time. If we ask somebody to pick us up / pick something up in the shop / whatever, there is always the chance they might be killed en route. And the risk of that happening is probably similar to a negative reaction to the vaccine.

Realistically, if she is overweight then she was probably still at a significantly greater risk of Covid if she hadn't taken it. That is the reality.

Hope she gets better soon.

Hococop wrote: »
    Based on the HSE estimate, around 200K in total.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Ah thats great news in fairness

If there are 10 Citwest sized centres then that's 170k a week between them at 2.5 k and then you have the smaller ones

Dublin has a few big centres, could be that Dublin gets done quicker than other places due to volume

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,552 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Stheno wrote: »
    Dublin has a few big centres, could be that Dublin gets done quicker than other places due to volume

I can hear the outrage already.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭sd1999

Wait so is there a press conference at 7.30pm?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Hi folks...recently got my aztra vaccine in the north, but I live in the Republic. Im considered at risk so when my old gp up home offered it to me I went up and got it, would of been waiting very long in ROI for it. I'm concerned about the differences there will be in vaccine passports/certificates between north and south/UK and eu...there's talk of apps and QR codes in the south and I'm concerned that if I got my vaccine in the north I won't have access to these. Just wondering would anyone (cross border workers and the likes) have any insight or thoughts? Thanks!

It shouldn't matter, I think a legit vac cert from either country should be OK.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

sd1999 wrote: »
    Wait so is there a press conference at 7.30pm?
    Why would there be on a Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭greengrass88

Hope so! The only other suggestion I've been given is get another 2 jabs in the South but I don't think that's sound medical advice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

One of my local pharmacys is hiring COVID vaccinators and the start date is down as June, found that interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 3,662 ✭✭✭amandstu

amandstu wrote: »
    What level of protection is afforded by the first jab of either the Pfizer or Astrazeneca vaccines?

What would be the respective levels of protection against moderate to serious symptoms?

Bump

Apparently Luke oNeil said today on the radio it was between 75 and 80 percent.

Can anyone confirm that?

Might the number be even high for deaths?

One of my local pharmacys is hiring COVID vaccinators and the start date is down as June, found that interesting
    Believe Leo said at one point that GPs & pharmacies combined could do 85K a week. I guess that's based on annual flu' jabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Hi folks...recently got my aztra vaccineI r in the north, but I live in the Republic. Im considered at risk so when my old gp up home offered it to me I went up and got it, would of been waiting very long in ROI for it. I'm concerned about the differences there will be in vaccine passports/certificates between north and south/UK and eu...there's talk of apps and QR codes in the south and I'm concerned that if I got my vaccine in the north I won't have access to these. Just wondering would anyone (cross border workers and the likes) have any insight or thoughts? Thanks!

It won't make the slightest difference where you got vaccinated, you have nothing to worry about as long as it was a vaccine thats permitted by the EMA (which it is in your case).

Similar to how we are letting fully vaccinated people skip hotel quarantine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭majo

Hococop wrote: »

I saw somewhere that it is approx 180,000. There are 400,000 in the 60-69 age group but it makes sense that the 65-69 group will be a bit less than half of this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement