Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Anyone here know of anyone over 70 who still hasnt heard from their GP or got the vaccine?

Both my parents over 70 still haven't heard a thing.

Wondering if it's common?

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

Morby wrote: »
    Just wondering if someone got their first dose of AstraZeneca but would prefer not to have AZ for their second dose, is it possible to mix and match and get Pfizer or Moderns for their second dose?

This is currently in clinical trials. France and Germany are going straight into it. Ireland says to keep both doses as Astra. We shall see, I think the van is going locked down the road to get more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,807 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Anyone here know of anyone over 70 who still hasnt heard from their GP or got the vaccine?

Did you or they try to contact the GP about this ?
    You asked the same question a few days ago .
    Some GPs have long lists of over 70s so are still vaccinating .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Did you or they try to contact the GP about this ?
    You asked the same question a few days ago .
    Some GPs have long lists of over 70s so are still vaccinating .

Yeah secretary said you will hear from us when it's your turn and hung up.

Sorry to ask again just can't get my head around 69 year olds getting it tommorow when there is still over 70s waiting.

I thought every age bracket had to be done before moving onto the next.

Ah sure what can I do. Just have to wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

It's news, get over it.

Exact same news on BBC etc.
    no? we pay a TV license, I expect unbiased journalism. get over that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Have you made sure that the GP has a proper contact number for them ?

65-70 are being done parallel to over 70 as they get AZ and over 70 get Pfizer via the GP

Miike wrote: »
    No one is teal (?) and one is green.

Although I have F.Lux on my PC/Phones/Laptop turned up to power ranger so everything is a tint of orange/yellow.

Is teal not green :)
    Ohh my eyes !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

It's kinda funny when those who tell us suck it up are the ones probably not paying the TV tax.

But on AZ skepticism, some interesting reading here:
    "A single dose of the Oxford–AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine was shown to be very immunogenic in previously naïve individuals and able to induce antibody levels that exceed those following a mild or asymptomatic natural infection."

And regarding the existing variants:
    "Our results suggest a single dose of vaccine based on the original sequence may still induce a significant increase in antibodies cross-reactive with the variants of concern – perhaps sufficient to ameliorate disease".

This is why the first dose getting rolled out to as many as possible is so important ..... in my humble opinion.

Kivaro wrote: »
    It's kinda funny when those who tell us suck it up are the ones probably not paying the TV tax.

But on AZ skepticism, some interesting reading here:
    "A single dose of the Oxford–AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine was shown to be very immunogenic in previously naïve individuals and able to induce antibody levels that exceed those following a mild or asymptomatic natural infection."

And regarding the existing variants:
    "Our results suggest a single dose of vaccine based on the original sequence may still induce a significant increase in antibodies cross-reactive with the variants of concern – perhaps sufficient to ameliorate disease".

This is why the first dose getting rolled out to as many as possible is so important ..... in my humble opinion.
    I'm a big believer in the AZ vaccine - have been following it closely on this thread since last Summer and believe it still has a major major role to play in the world's response to this.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Have you made sure that the GP has a proper contact number for them ?

65-70 are being done parallel to over 70 as they get AZ and over 70 get Pfizer via the GP

This .
    It is head wrecking, I know .
    Especially if things moving along for the under 70s .
    But they are better off getting their vaccine from someone who knows their back history .
    The secretaries and practice nurses are overloaded as well because they are making calls and appointments which are being changed according to whatever NIAC say .
    So now after doing some over 70s and making appointments for second doses they are waiting to hear whether NIAC will space the doses out as being discussed , and all those elderly people will have to be contacted again and new appointments made . And it wouldn't be as simple as text message or email for some of this group .
    Not excusing it , but I do know that our own practice is waiting before they do any more until their dosing schedule is clarified, as my husband was contacting them as he is highrisk under 65 .

• Advertisement

Mostly is unbiased .
    Except for one or two .
    I am not the one who needs to get over anything . Am happy out !

Mostly is unbiased .
    Except for one or two .
    I am not the one who needs to get over anything . Am happy out !
    Don't reply if I complain so :)

Yeah secretary said you will hear from us when it's your turn and hung up.

Sorry to ask again just can't get my head around 69 year olds getting it tommorow when there is still over 70s waiting.

I thought every age bracket had to be done before moving onto the next.

Ah sure what can I do. Just have to wait.

Post replying to iamwhoiam was meant for you as well .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Yes. A friend of mine is still waiting. Very frustrating for you and especially as 69 year olds will be getting done this week, but it would be stupid to make them wait. I think it can look as if nothing is happening re vaccines in GPs, but I think they only get deliveries every two weeks, and some have been let down. I think it'll take until the end of the month to finish first doses for the over 70s.

Has anyone who got vaccinated considered doing a covid antibody test afterwards?

Double edged sword, if it was positive it could give you extra assurance. If negative it could make you anxious when you may well have immunity/t cells etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Turtwig wrote: »
    Wish her a speedy recovery. Find the premise of your post strange. Nobody is being forced to take a vaccine. There is also nothing to link either adenovirus viral vector vaccines to clots in the lung. These vaccines are associated with an exceptionally rare clotting disorder that affects the brain and abdomen.

Sigh . I never said anyone has been forced to take a vaccine . The cabal all over your comment I see .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭Russman

lbj666 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/RachelLavin/status/1383741192085467141/photo/1

Can someone shed light on Ms. Lavins model.

Finding the scenarios a bit confusing are the independent of the other ones. Does each scenarios include for the scenario preceding it? (except of No.1 obviously) or are they total independant

Seems a bit confusing to me - how can age restricted AZ finish mid June, but additional Pfizer is late June ? I’m obviously missing something !

All the scenarios look great though in fairness if they come to pass. Over 45s by end of May, can that really be right ? Hope so as that’s me, but I’ve been mentally expecting a month later.

Russman wrote: »
    Seems a bit confusing to me - how can age restricted AZ finish mid June, but additional Pfizer is late June ? I’m obviously missing something !

All the scenarios look great though in fairness if they come to pass. Over 45s by end of May, can that really be right ? Hope so as that’s me, but I’ve been mentally expecting a month later.

Found the graphs confusing , but on reading your comment , would think it means that 60 to 69s finished mid June?

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

Don’t hold your breath....
    I read in today’s paper there’s an 86 year old still waiting for the vaccine, plus they appear to have ignored the cancelled appointments from last week and are scheduling 65 to 69 now. It’s a shambles.

• Advertisement

Don’t hold your breath....
    I read in today’s paper there’s an 86 year old still waiting for the vaccine, plus they appear to have ignored the cancelled appointments from last week and are scheduling 65 to 69 now. It’s a shambles.
    You realise they're running at the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

You realise they're running at the same time?

Really, my sister over 60 had an appointment which was cancellled, a week later, no word, same with me.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭Russman

Found the graphs confusing , but on reading your comment , would think it means that 60 to 69s finished mid June?

I’d say start of June based on what Paul Reid said the other day.
    The graph and the commentary seem incredibly positive and fingers crossed they’re accurate, it’d be amazing if it plays out that way. I just found it hard to reconcile the graph with the text tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Has anyone who got vaccinated considered doing a covid antibody test afterwards?

Double edged sword, if it was positive it could give you extra assurance. If negative it could make you anxious when you may well have immunity/t cells etc.

None of the vaccines prevent you from contracting the virus, so yes of course you can become positive at any time before or after the jab.

They do not even prevent you from developing Covid.

People seem to have unreasonable expectations from the jab.

Really, my sister over 60 had an appointment which was cancellled, a week later, no word, same with me.....
    It's been widely reported that it will be two weeks before everyone is re-accomodated

I’d say start of June based on what Paul Reid said the other day.
    The graph and the commentary seem incredibly positive and fingers crossed they’re accurate, it’d be amazing if it plays out that way. I just found it hard to reconcile the graph with the text tbh.

Glad it wasn't just me :)

None of the vaccines prevent you from contracting the virus, so yes of course you can become positive at any time before or after the jab.

People seem to have unreasonable expectations from the jab.

Do you really want people to try to explain to you how the vaccines do work ...at this stage ....or are you just on a wind up ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

It was a little silly cancelling group 4 who are 60-69 as they will still be done with AZ. They could have announced anyone in group 4 whore are 60-69 to attend their appointment and anyone below 60 will be rescheduled.
    My guess is they (consultants/GP's) never passed on the age with the referral, so it made it a little more tricky.
    So now the consultants or someone has to go back and pull out all the 60-69 group 4 and separate them from the 60 below group. Luckily with the online portal, nearly half of those will have already registered in the separate age group 65-69.

vienne86 wrote: »
    Yes. A friend of mine is still waiting. Very frustrating for you and especially as 69 year olds will be getting done this week, but it would be stupid to make them wait. I think it can look as if nothing is happening re vaccines in GPs, but I think they only get deliveries every two weeks, and some have been let down. I think it'll take until the end of the month to finish first doses for the over 70s.

My mother is in her early 70s, a slightly nervous diabetic. You're spot on with respect to fortnightly delivery, GP confirmed it will be at end of month. It would seem rational to complete first doses for this cohort before moving on to the 65-69 age group. Anyway, the system is imperfect and I can't begrudge anyone in their sixties receiving jab promptly. What I will begrudge are teachers who haven't reached middle age/under 30s getting anything more than zero consideration. Young and healthy? Back of the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

....... What?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement