Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Elessar wrote: »
    The f*cking ultra conservative NIAC will undoubtedly limit its use if the FDA do it, which will make it practically useless for us. If the FDA say 50+, NIAC will say 60+. Our only hope is that there are no restrictions recommended by the FDA and EMA, which might put pressure on NIAC but I'm not holding my breath.

As a 30-something I would happily take J&J, but it seems I'm not allowed to make that decision for myself.

Every advisory body does the same calculation. The methods may vary a little. The principles are more or less the same. As every country and region is different the result will be. In the midst of a pandemic the areas with higher profile disease incidences or lack of alternative vaccines supplies will have the lower age restrictions.

NIAC were overly conservative in my view. I wouldn't go as far as ultra conservative. However, the point here is even if NIAC were a reincarnated carbon copy of the FDA the age restrictions result for Ireland would be expected to be different to that in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

vienne86 wrote: »
    When you register you are told you will get at least three days notice, so maybe just delay registration until the end of the week.

She made the mistake of already registering (on the first day).

No appointment yet. She is hoping not to get one before next week now. Or if they do offer an appointment She is hoping that refusing it won't put her at the back or the que.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

No appointment yet. She is hoping not to get one before next week now. Or if they do offer an appointment She is hoping that refusing it won't put her at the back or the que.
    IIRC Paul Reid did say something about being able to change dates. Maybe a quick call to the HSE to clarify? It's not as if she's saying no.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭majo

Isn’t there a HSE number to phone (for people who can’t register online but for I imagine deal with other queries also).
    You could phone and explain your difficulty. I’m sure lots of people have certain days that don’t suit for various reasons.
    It’s open 8am to 8pm. I heard someone on the radio a couple of days ago saying that mornings are busy but quieter after that.

Very informative thread here on the B.1.617 aka the Indian variant aka the "Double Mutant"(:rolleyes:). Some key points:
    • B.1.617 has existed in India at low levels from several months. The fact that it hasn't grown in spread sooner suggests it's not as transmissible as B.1.1.7.
    • India's sequencing is very poor. There have been <1000 samples from over 4 million cases since February. There's large room for biases in sampling that could paint an inaccurate picture of spread (88% of March samples come from only one state). It is unclear what role the variant actually plays in India's current surge.
    • The E484Q and L452R spike mutations have been associated with some degree of reduced neutralization to monoclonal antibodies. Vaccines are polyclonal plus there's also innate immunity (T-cells, etc) to back it up. This makes it unlikely to "escape" vaccines.
    • On that topic E484Q has not turned up in experiments selecting better ACE2 binding compared to E484K. This suggests it may not offer the same fitness advantage. Also B.1.617 lacks N501Y which plays a key role in increasing binding affinity in the other VOCs.
    • There was a rise in cases of the variant in the UK this week but according to Susan Hopkins most of these are associated with travel from India.
    • It should be watched carefully but for the moment at least the evidence points to it not being as problematic as other VOCs.

https://twitter.com/jcbarret/status/1383872820724174854?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Good to hear the vaccine portal is going well, I am delighted that most of us who feared it would crash/be beset with problems/etc were wrong. In addition, the people who I know who have been to their MVC have commented how slick and well oiled the operations are.
    Kudos to all involved. If the HSE applied such efficiencies across their entire health delivery portfolio, we'd have a great health service!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I registered on Saturday ( right age group ) and have heard nothing since .

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Hardyn wrote: »
    Very informative thread here on the B.1.617 aka the Indian variant aka the "Double Mutant"(:rolleyes:). Some key points:
    • B.1.617 has existed in India at low levels from several months. The fact that it hasn't grown in spread sooner suggests it's not as transmissible as B.1.1.7.
    • India's sequencing is very poor. There have been <1000 samples from over 4 million cases since February. There's large room for biases in sampling that could paint an inaccurate picture of spread (88% of March samples come from only one state). It is unclear what role the variant actually plays in India's current surge.
    • The E484Q and L452R spike mutations have been associated with some degree of reduced neutralization to monoclonal antibodies. Vaccines are polyclonal plus there's also innate immunity (T-cells, etc) to back it up. This makes it unlikely to "escape" vaccines.
    • On that topic E484Q has not turned up in experiments selecting better ACE2 binding compared to E484K. This suggests it may not offer the same fitness advantage. Also B.1.617 lacks N501Y which plays a key role in increasing binding affinity in the other VOCs.
    • There was a rise in cases of the variant in the UK this week but according to Susan Hopkins most of these are associated with travel from India.
    • It should be watched carefully but for the moment at least the evidence points to it not being as problematic as other VOCs.

https://twitter.com/jcbarret/status/1383872820724174854?s=20
    Good information. More's the pity there isn't the same analysis applied to every other variant that raises it head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Paul Moynagh, Professor of Immunology and Director of the Kathleen Lonsdale Institute for Human Health research at Maynooth University was on Newstalk Breakfast this morning. He expects J&J to have similar restrictions on who can get it to AZ. He wants to see the age restrictions for both of these vaccines to be reduced down to closer to the UK limit of 30.

Its only 7 minutes long and worth a listen. Paul is a very good commentator and has a very balanced view in my opinion though doesn't get the airtime the zero covid experts get. Anthony Staines was on the same show this morning saying the government's reopening plans are too quick if you could believe that!

https://castbox.fm/vbb/374437168

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

vienne86 wrote: »
    If it's any comfort, there are many in the 65-69 cohort who would happily wait another couple of weeks to get Pfizer instead of getting Astrazeneca tomorrow. As someone quipped over the weekend, it feels like 60-69 year olds are not old to be vulnerable and not young enough to be valuable!

The vast majority of cases of CSVTs found were under the age of 60 more into under 50s even.

So the even rarer risk of CSVT in +60s and the higher associated risk with covid in that cohort is what is has led to it to remain to be recommended for over 60. Not just the later, so this perception that its being fobbed off has little basis.

More people would die from covid as a consequence of stopping AZ all together or giving a choice and waiting for mRNA supplies filter from higher priority cohorts into the 60-69 age bracket.

• Advertisement

I cant believe Staines is peddling the below.

https://twitter.com/astaines/status/1383891376576753668

Completely ignoring the fact that the changes of being exposed in the first place are reduced

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Completely ignoring the fact that the changes of being exposed in the first place are reduced

I stopped paying attention to anything him or that crowd said a long time ago.

Even this morning now they all seem to be playing up the Indian variant. They really love the spotlight & will jump on anything to keep themselves in it no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

….and we had McConkey peddling at least another 3-5 years of lockdown/restrictions post vaccination the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭thejuggler

RTÉ reporting 100 million additional Pfizer vaccines (1 million for ROI) to be delivered by end of year.

Is this new or already factored in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I stopped paying attention to anything him or that crowd said a long time ago.

Even this morning now they all seem to be playing up the Indian variant. They really love the spotlight & will jump on anything to keep themselves in it no matter what.

That double mutant variant has been around a while. It’s old news, read about it ages ago and Campbell was talking about it on youtube a good while ago too. Interesting that India wasn’t added to the MHQ list despite how bad it is there.

thejuggler wrote: »
    RTÉ reporting 100 million additional Pfizer vaccines (1 million for ROI) to be delivered by end of year.

It's the EU exercising their right to 100m extra as per contract. Would be surprised if it wasn't already factored in as they were always going to exercise the contract

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

RTÉ reporting 100 million additional vaccines (1 million for ROI) to be delivered by end of year.

This is new. Fantastic news. We'll be out of this in no time.

Re Staines and McConkey etc, I have previously defended them on this thread but there is no doubt that they are now bordering on the ridiculous. Saying 3-5 more years of lockdown restrictions, not a hope!

Their approach might have had some relevance at the start - if we had gone zero covid and mandatory quarantine, but their ship has sailed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

Zipppy wrote: »
    I think they'll stretch to 8 weeks and maybe longer again at a later stage.
    I do think though that they'll give guidance that the vulnerable/extremely vulnerable should be left at 4 weeks...which it should be!

Officially Pfizer and Moderna say a max of 7 weeks between doses. I can see it extended but really only to 6 weeks. If they go further than that than you may have legal issues (given the Irish love of lawsuits, I don’t think the HSE/NIAC will go beyond that, someone with no legal experience would be able to win a substantial award...)

Micky 32 wrote: »
    ….and we had McConkey peddling at least another 3-5 years of lockdown/restrictions post vaccination the other day.

It's troubling when our national broadcaster funded by the taxpayer is granting a compulsive liar free rein. Before someone chimes in "but whataboutery" he forecast 50,000+ deaths in Dublin alone by last October. A total fraud.

Back on topic, vaccines are the only meaningful vehicle to exit restrictions in the short to medium term. Longer term, developing ones to keep pace with new variants à la annual flu jab. Covid will be reduced in potency such that it becomes a negligible threat by the autumn. And the vaccination programme has made a considerable impact on hospital admissions, in a few weeks we're bidding farewell to lockdown permanently.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Are these extra doses all for Q3/4 of this year? i.e. might only help us in July onwards with second doses, the vaccination of children and a potential booster program?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,870 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

JTMan wrote: »
    Are these extra doses all for Q3/4 of this year? i.e. might only help us in July onwards with second doses, the vaccination of children and a potential booster program?

That could be a big help to our current and imminent rollout though : if we know there area million more Pfizer doses on the way for certain, it might give us the opportunity to speed up the current rollout even further.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Maybe it's his phrasing but the "transmission is unaffected" part makes zero sense to me based on recent evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭acer911

What's the deal with the daily vaccine updates now? What time do they come out at? How many days in arrears? Can someone provide a link to the best source?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Why can't you believe it? It seems completely in line with the kind of nonsense he's been spouting for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

acer911 wrote: »
    What's the deal with the daily vaccine updates now? What time do they come out at? How many days in arrears? Can someone provide a link to the best source?

https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/newsfeatures/covid19-updates/integrated-information-service-vaccination-programme-dashboard.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

The covid tracker app has the numbers and it says it was last updated on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/newsfeatures/covid19-updates/integrated-information-service-vaccination-programme-dashboard.html

The official reports are here anyway, usually released around 9 or 10 each morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

This is new. Fantastic news. We'll be out of this in no time.

Re Staines and McConkey etc, I have previously defended them on this thread but there is no doubt that they are now bordering on the ridiculous. Saying 3-5 more years of lockdown restrictions, not a hope!

Their approach might have had some relevance at the start - if we had gone zero covid and mandatory quarantine, but their ship has sailed now.

Along with Tomas Ryan and the fifth wave. Really out there on the fringes, an academic with little grip of the real world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭Russman

ddarcy wrote: »
    Officially Pfizer and Moderna say a max of 7 weeks between doses. I can see it extended but really only to 6 weeks. If they go further than that than you may have legal issues (given the Irish love of lawsuits, I don’t think the HSE/NIAC will go beyond that, someone with no legal experience would be able to win a substantial award...)

Just on that, does the EMA approval for the vaccine depend on a stipulated gap or min/max window between doses ? Like, if we went to, say, 8 weeks which is outside what the manufacturers even say, could we be in breach of the approved use ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement