Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

funnydoggy wrote: »

T+2 seems reasonable, was it T+4 prevoiusly, I know the wanted to reduce it.

16k doses on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Russman wrote: »
    Just on that, does the EMA approval for the vaccine depend on a stipulated gap or min/max window between doses ? Like, if we went to, say, 8 weeks which is outside what the manufacturers even say, could we be in breach of the approved use ?

Yep and no. As long as our own HPRA approve the dosing gap we'd be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I stopped paying attention to anything him or that crowd said a long time ago.

Even this morning now they all seem to be playing up the Indian variant. They really love the spotlight & will jump on anything to keep themselves in it no matter what.

All the news & tweets etc on the variants are roughly the same.

- Someone pushes a headline that promotes fear and anxiety, suggesting vaccine won't work on new strain.
    - Couple more statements of gloom around the potential impact and danger.
    - Finally, a note to the fact that the vaccines do in fact provide protection for said variant, and in fact, all known variants to date.

I genuinely just gloss over any and all news about variants at this stage. For the general public, it's irrelevant. We know the vaccines work, and they need to stop peddling this sensationalist, fear mongering tripe.

Work with what we know now, and give people the optimism they deserve, and the progress our society and economy needs.

Let the scientists work in the background on variants and future boosters, etc., but most people don't need to know or worry about that stuff now. Or potentially ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Champagne Sally

I wonder how long they are giving to the 65 to 69yr cohort before starting the registering for the 60 to 64yrs. It will be interesting to see how quick they move between cohorts. All seems to be going very smoothly so far which is great news.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭ek motor

How come less vaccines are administered on Saturdays and Sundays?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,870 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Russman wrote: »
    Just on that, does the EMA approval for the vaccine depend on a stipulated gap or min/max window between doses ? Like, if we went to, say, 8 weeks which is outside what the manufacturers even say, could we be in breach of the approved use ?

The EMA merely issue 'advice' and have no power to enforce such guidelines, so on that score we could go outside it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Knex* wrote: »
    All the news & tweets etc on the variants are roughly the same.

- Someone pushes a headline that promotes fear and anxiety, suggesting vaccine won't work on new strain.
    - Couple more statements of gloom around the potential impact and danger.
    - Finally, a note to the fact that the vaccines do in fact provide protection for said variant, and in fact, all known variants to date.

I genuinely just gloss over any and all news about variants at this stage. For the general public, it's irrelevant. We know the vaccines work, and they need to stop peddling this sensationalist, fear mongering tripe.

Work with what we know now, and give people the optimism they deserve, and the progress our society and economy needs.

Let the scientists work in the background on variants and future boosters, etc., but most people don't need to know or worry about that stuff now. Or potentially ever.
    exactly goverment should be focused on jabbing everyone 24/7 not involved into any political BS or doing more measures, seems they have lost the plot in recent weeks without realizing aside vaccines there is nothing better coming, way news are reported now and fck all glimmer of hope makes people question whats the point of taking vaccines if this **** will continue, most eu countries came out to say they will be operating without restrictions towards vaccinated here were told out of ****ing luck as they have no clear plan going forward which is pathetic of goverment to seed uncertainty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭embraer170

Both my parents are in the 75 - 80 group and have not been called for there first jab yet. When they contacted the doctors a few days ago they were told it could be another 10 days and they would contact them to let them know

Sorry to hear. My mom (75-80 age group) finally got her first dose last week. It must be incredibly frustrating to still be waiting to even get an appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,724 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

ek motor wrote: »

Deliveries and logistics usually happen on Sunday/Monday, so supplies are usually dwindling or gone by Saturday/Sunday, any remaining doses from a previous week (at GP offices usually) would have people booked in for the following week to get them (it seems delivery to GP happen every 2 weeks).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭celt262

Both my parents are in the 75 - 80 group and have not been called for there first jab yet. When they contacted the doctors a few days ago they were told it could be another 10 days and they would contact them to let them know

That has to be down to mismanagement of the roll out by the practice more than anything else. I would not be at all happy if that was my parents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

celt262 wrote: »
    That has to be down to mismanagement of the roll out by the practice more than anything else. I would not be at all happy if that was my parents.

I think they should open the portal for 70+ also.
    At this stage they should have their first dose. If it's down to slow gp's or slow deliveries etc... At least give that group the option to go to a MVC if they want to.
    It would be a quick way to sweep up all those 70+ still waiting for an appointment etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Wolf359f wrote: »
    I think they should open the portal for 70+ also.
    At this stage they should have their first dose. If it's down to slow gp's or slow deliveries etc... At least give that group the option to go to a MVC if they want to.
    It would be a quick way to sweep up all those 70+ still waiting for an appointment etc...
    Is there any reason why this shouldn't happen? Worst case is GPs send out appointments to those who don't need them, and they just refuse the duplicate appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

Not sure if anyone has posted this already.
    Quite an interesting read.

https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2021-04-15-risk-rare-blood-clotting-higher-covid-19-vaccines

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

My Mum (75-79 group) got her second dose at the weekend at one of the MVCs. Great work happening there by the GPs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Is there any reason why this shouldn't happen? Worst case is GPs send out appointments to those who don't need them, and they just refuse the duplicate appointment.

The MVCs are only doing AZ at the moment, probably some complexity in running different booths for Pfizer, by all accounts the MVC are a well oiled machine, might be best not to risk making changes to it, just apply pressure on gps to get the finger out

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

Anyone using the C-19 by ZOE app ? Lots of information updates about findings, helpful and encouraging information updates. Not all doom and gloom. The BLOG updates are informative too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Valhallapt wrote: »
    The MVCs are only doing AZ at the moment, probably some complexity in running different booths for Pfizer, by all accounts the MVC are a well oiled machine, might be best not to risk making changes to it, just apply pressure on gps to get the finger out

So how are cohort 4 still being vaccinated?
    Is it just 60-69 in cohort 4 being done with AZ?
    Citywest has been busy all week, certainly didn't look like just 60+ aged people there.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Skygord

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭LimerickGray

Wolf359f wrote: »
    So how are cohort 4 still being vaccinated?
    Is it just 60-69 in cohort 4 being done with AZ?
    Citywest has been busy all week, certainly didn't look like just 60+ aged people there.

there has been nothing said about this. I heard rumours (1 of many) that cohort 4 and 7 were were pushed back to their GP for vaccination after completion of over 70s. I called my GP earlier and its the first he heard of it. He said he is finished with vaccinating once his over 70s are done.
    I presume/hope they start cohort 4 back in the MVC next week with phfyzer vaccine - seems logical. I can't see it being pushed back to GP as many will not know what patient is in cohort 4 or 7 as their case is long term with consultant and not really dealing with GP. My GP, although knowing my diagnosis, does not know how much it effects and why I'm in corort 4 - consultant knows

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭sd1999

ek motor wrote: »

Because they've used up most of that week's available supply by Thursday/Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭SJFly

I think this would just create more problems, assuming all the remaining over 70s get mopped up in the next couple of weeks. Right now, over 70s know they need to go through their gp and gps know they need to order vaccines for them. Large amounts of cancelled appointments will mean extra work for gps finding people to give the spare doses too, not to mind the outrage it will generate when a gp vaccinates a 58 year old with a spare dose, and a diabetic 59 year old still hasn't received theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

there has been nothing said about this. I heard rumours (1 of many) that cohort 4 and 7 were were pushed back to their GP for vaccination after completion of over 70s. I called my GP earlier and its the first he heard of it. He said he is finished with vaccinating once his over 70s are done.
    I presume/hope they start cohort 4 back in the MVC next week with phfyzer vaccine - seems logical. I can't see it being pushed back to GP as many will not know what patient is in cohort 4 or 7 as their case is long term with consultant and not really dealing with GP. My GP, although knowing my diagnosis, does not know how much it effects and why I'm in corort 4 - consultant knows
    The original plans for Group 4 was that it would initially be driven by hospitals and then by GPs. What has slowed it down, apart from supplies, is trying to work out who is in Groups 4 & 7. I don't think there was a general plan to do those groups in MVCs. Pfizer is also needed for 2nd doses. The next few weeks will be the 65-69 cohort anyway, followed by the 60-64 group, so my guess is that anyone else will be completed by GP/hospitals.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

amandstu wrote: »
    Thought they just reduced symptoms.You can ,as far as I know still catch and transmit the virus even after vaccination.

Yes the jab reduces the effect Covid will have on the recipient.
    I find it really annoying to hear our 'heads' speak of immunisation by vaccine when that is totally false.

I would have thought that those contributing to a discussion such as this would, at minimum, know what these vaccines are supposed to do, but clearly that is not the case.

Sad really.

But I am unsure as to whether or not there is a small section of the population that
    is completely unaffected by the vaccine. If you develop antibodies either from the vaccine or via normal transmission does it automatically follow that you are protected to some degree?

Natural (directly from the virus) immune response is, from what I have read, more potent than that developed by the jab, IF your immune system is working optimally, BUT apparently a large percentage of the population is, to a greater or lesser degree, immuno-compromised, and likely to develop Covid and get ill if they contract the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,870 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

sd1999 wrote: »
    Because they've used up most of that week's available supply by Thursday/Friday.

Which makes sense - they try and use up the vaccines as soon as they receive them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Natural (directly from the virus) immune response is, from what I have read, more potent than that developed by the jab, ...

Where did you read that now?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Having done a huge amount of reading over the past six monts and more, I do not recollect each and every article I have accessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Having done a huge amount of reading over the past six monts and more, I do not recollect each and every article I have accessed.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/05/health/covid-natural-immunity.html

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's been suggested in a few places. TBH the problem with it is that it assumes that we all have the same immune systems and that we can endure whatever COVID does to us. Here's a Q&A including commentary on that.

https://www.immunology.org/news/immunity-and-covid-19-what-do-we-know-so-far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Yes the jab reduces the effect Covid will have on the recipient.
    I find it really annoying to hear our 'heads' speak of immunisation by vaccine when that is totally false.

I would have thought that those contributing to a discussion such as this would, at minimum, know what these vaccines are supposed to do, but clearly that is not the case.

Sad really.

Do you understand the difference between the virus and the disease? The vaccine provides immunity from the disease (Covid19) for most people. It can reduce the transmission rates of the virus (Sars-Cov).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement