Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

The whole thing is so confused. Watched the press conference. Clear priority was reassuring the over 60s that its safe to get. Loads of stats to prove that. But all it did was raise the question of why they were banning it for under 60s then? They didn't seem to get that with every word of reassurance they were completely undermining that decision. On the stats they gave themselves banning it for 55 to 59 cohort is barmy. Only possible explanation is if they think the second jabs and over 60s jabs will use up all the AZ, but is that the case - I thought not?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

That's not how it's going to pan out, it's for down the line and presuming recommendation doesn't change. In the short term, under 60s will not be offered AZ vaccine, it will be used only on the Over 60s cohort. You may see the possibility of people under 60 down the line getting chance to opt to take AZ one down the line, it there was a surplus and shortage of other vaccines.
    That sounds very reasonable. A slight delay in vaccinations, we should catch up quickly, and unused vaccines can be made available to those who want to get vaccinated faster and accept the risk.

And over the next few weeks hopefully we'll know more about the risk and the cause of it, and possibly a way to identify who is at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

Oh please do expand on this, what are your "god given rights" and what will you be "flexing"?

Political protest and protest through non-compliance. I make no apology, freedom is a god given right, not something that can be taken away at a whim by the likes of Michael Martin, Varadkar and their cronies.

There definitely was a comment about how AZ could be given to someone under 60 if the balance of benefit to risk warranted it in their individual situation. I'd interpret that as allowing someone at high risk of covid to get AZ if for some reason another vaccine was not available.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Flying Fox wrote: »
    There definitely was a comment about how AZ could be given to someone under 60 if the balance of benefit to risk warranted it in their individual situation. I'd interpret that as allowing someone at high risk of covid to get AZ if for some reason another vaccine was not available.

That would make sense for allergies etc or if someone is unable to take an mRNA vaccine on medical grounds etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,531 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Parachutes wrote: »
    Political protest and protest through non-compliance. I make no apology, freedom is a god given right, not something that can be taken away at a whim by the likes of Michael Martin, Varadkar and their cronies.

Ah right, so nothing really? Waving a placard around and then running away when the guards show up :pac:

I thought with the tough talk you were being a bit more serious, ah well.

Ah right, so nothing really? Waving a placard around and then running away when the guards show up :pac:

I thought with the tough talk you were being a bit more serious, ah well.

Grand so, well look you have the freedom to #standfirm. You do you and I’ll do me.

That'll teach em

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    That Vox piece made sense to me in relation to the efficacy of all the vaccines in the trials in preventing hospitalisation and worse.

Yeah I thought it was a very succinct way of explaining it. It would take me 5 thousand words and I'd leave the readers more confused than when they started!

Grand so, well look you have the freedom to #standfirm. You do you and I’ll do me.

I went for a pint today, I'm not worried about my freedom!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

I went for a pint today, I'm not worried about my freedom!

Certainly not in Ireland.

Certainly not in Ireland.

I never claimed I was in Ireland.

Ronan Glynn has just said on Claire Byrne that the new advice should not unduly affect the rollout.

That'll teach em

Take of that mask and get some oxygen before you lose your last brain cell.

What does this lads pint have to do with vaccines?

I never claimed I was in Ireland.

You are aware this is an Irish message board?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

This whole thing about more people dying long term from the vaccine than from the virus.. anything to back this up?

funnydoggy wrote: »
    This whole thing about more people dying long term from the vaccine than from the virus.. anything to back this up?

Which whole thing? You'll need to be more specific :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Flying Fox wrote: »
    Ronan Glynn has just said on Claire Byrne that the new advice should not unduly affect the rollout.

Claire Byrne says there are 400,000 sixty to 69 year olds in the country, so that could easily use up the full quota with the two doses.

• Advertisement

You are aware this is an Irish message board?

I've been posting here for over a decade, yes I know it's an Irish message board :rolleyes:

Take of that mask and get some oxygen before you lose your last brain cell.
    :

Jeez....you'll go far in the debating society.....I take it you're just trolling?????

I'll buy citizenship somewhere, Portugal for example if you buy a property or invest in a business will give citizenship for your whole family for the price of a 3 bed semi in Dublin.

I'll go anywhere without mandatory vaccinations or mandatory facemasks.

You're aware face masks are mandatory in Portugal?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Freedom isn’t a god given right...

We don’t have freedoms to....

1. Drive through a red light

2. Walk out of a supermarket without paying for what’s in our trolley

3. Play loud music at 3am

4. Attend and enroll in a college course without the necessary qualifying factors.

5. Assault people we dislike or disagree with or who have hurt us.

We are in this situation and we need to suck it up and continue on the pathway of safety and health for all. Tough times, tough measures, be a team player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭Economics101

The NIAC recommendation seems to be a panic reaction. Instead of re-assuring people it will give further credence to anti-vaxxers. Remember that previously the AZ vaccine was ruled out for the over-70s: why? Now ruled out for the under-60s: why? The implication is that it's OK just for the 60-69s. Crazy stuff.

The EMA, which is the authorising/regulating body we rely on, has said the vaccine is basically OK for all age groups. An interesting study from the Winton Centre for Risk and Evidence Communication at Cambridge gives a good summary of the risks and benefits: https://wintoncentre.maths.cam.ac.uk/news/communicating-potential-benefits-and-harms-astra-zeneca-covid-19-vaccine/ This has also been published by the UK regulatory agency, the MHRA. Between them I reckon this lot know much more than our follow-the-herd types.

The only group for which there might be a real case for restriction is the under-30s, and then only if the prevalence of the disease is very low.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,911 ✭✭✭✭josip

I've been posting here for over a decade, yes I know it's an Irish message board :rolleyes:

Re-reg :)

I'll buy citizenship somewhere, Portugal for example if you buy a property or invest in a business will give citizenship for your whole family for the price of a 3 bed semi in Dublin.

I'll go anywhere without mandatory vaccinations or mandatory facemasks.

You might want to do a bit.more research before you jump ship ;)

josip wrote: »
    Re-reg :)

Yup had 1st account for a few years then closed that and opened this one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Miike wrote: »
    Which whole thing? You'll need to be more specific :pac:

The stat itself, is it accurate? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

vienne86 wrote: »
    Why slow down the over 60s .......they're getting Astra Zeneca and there's lots in stock. Give it to them
    Agreed
    vienne86 wrote: »
    and get rid of them.
    :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement